Author Topic: Prices for OS Unopened Packs  (Read 34563 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

Prices for OS Unopened Packs
« on: April 23, 2017, 10:26:05 AM »
I just want to know the basis for packs in the original series...
(Yellow 14th, Red 2nd, etc.)

If someone could help with that, it'd be great... Thanks.

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Prices for OS Unopened Packs
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 11:10:00 AM »
These prices are somewhat fluid but here is a rough estimate:

6th,7th,7th gumless,8th Orange, 9th,10th,12th,14th : these are the most plentiful, worth about $20-25

5th blue, 13th,15th : fairly plentiful, but more in the $30-35 range...15th is plentiful but contents are worth more, reflected in pack value

1st: $500-1000
2nd, 3rd red : $200-250
3rd yellow, 4th: $100-150
5th yellow: rarely for sale, probably $100-150
8th blue: $50
11th green, yellow: $75-100
16th: $250+
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:34:03 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 12:08:13 PM »
I just want to know the basis for packs in the original series...
(Yellow 14th, Red 2nd, etc.)

If someone could help with that, it'd be great... Thanks.

Find something at the show?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 12:21:26 PM »
Find something at the show?

Yeah I got a 10th, 13th, and 14th.. Also got one of the packs that is clear and has Ale, and an 8th checklist in it. (And broken gum)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 12:42:42 PM »
Also got one of the packs that is clear and has Ale, and an 8th checklist in it. (And broken gum)
A Fun Pack, yes?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »
I have a bunch of cellophane packs, but they have Gadzooka puzzle pieces that appear to be first series UK.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 01:34:01 PM »
A Fun Pack, yes?

That's what I thought they were called. I looked that up on eBay, though, and a UK pack came up. I am curious what they are worth if they are worth anything, because I am not completely sure about them.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 02:34:52 PM »
Ten or twelve years ago the cello fun packs were worth $25 or so, but somewhere along the line a million of them surfaced. There have been entire 8th series sets of them made available.

The one you have is a bit less common. As far as I know, the combinations that exist are 8th sticker/UK puzzle piece, 13th sticker/8th puzzle piece and 10th series sticker with one of those two puzzles.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »
By the way, there are several different wax wrapper fun packs too, one of which looks like a 2nd UK pack.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 03:36:46 PM »
Ten or twelve years ago the cello fun packs were worth $25 or so, but somewhere along the line a million of them surfaced. There have been entire 8th series sets of them made available.

The one you have is a bit less common. As far as I know, the combinations that exist are 8th sticker/UK puzzle piece, 13th sticker/8th puzzle piece and 10th series sticker with one of those two puzzles.

Okay. Thanks.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 10:42:35 PM »
These prices are somewhat fluid but here is a rough estimate:

6th,7th,7th gumless,8th Orange, 9th,10th,12th,14th : these are the most plentiful, worth about $20-25

5th blue, 13th,15th : fairly plentiful, but more in the $30-35 range...15th is plentiful but contents are worth more, reflected in pack value

1st: $500-1000
2nd, 3rd red : $200-250
3rd yellow, 4th: $100-150
5th yellow: rarely for sale, probably $100-150
8th blue: $50
11th green, yellow: $75-100
16th: $250+
3rd red sold for under $100 recently I believe.  I think it even had to be listed twice to sell.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 03:55:32 AM »
3rd red sold for under $100 recently I believe.  I think it even had to be listed twice to sell.

It's impossible to predict eBay prices, half the packs are bad, condition matters, there are not enough sales anymore to establish pricing. I personally have little doubt that if Roxanne unearthed a bunch of pristine 3rd reds that they would sell for more than $100, but it's pretty much guesswork.

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 09:12:46 PM »
Actually the boxes I still need full are 1 to 5 and 16. So much of what you have theorized is true.  I did get one of the two 11th series boxes that showed up, but the second one will eventually find its way to me too. Maybe even by this summer

Also, will be at this year's National Sports Collectors Convention in July with all of my dup boxes and packs.

Just got another (my fifth) pack of series one 1973, and this is the one that was held out when I made the deal for the other four. So I will have three of them at the National with me if they make it to that show. Stop by and talk to me about Wackys and other non sports.

I am back in action again as I was hibernating for the past 6 months working on a CEO and Director Pay survey as an independent contractor; I am retired. But now I am looking to buy and sell again. I couldn't make the last Philly show because of my intense work schedule.

Regards to you Dave and even those who seem to be able to turn every posting into something negative.

Steve

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 04:59:53 AM »
It's impossible to predict eBay prices, half the packs are bad, condition matters, there are not enough sales anymore to establish pricing. I personally have little doubt that if Roxanne unearthed a bunch of pristine 3rd reds that they would sell for more than $100, but it's pretty much guesswork.

I agree Dave.  I think the dear of re-seals of the earlier, more expensive packs will scare off a lot of people.  If the seller is an unknown that you can't check with about the pack, it won't sell for as much as it probably would from a known seller.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 04:22:11 AM »
Hey.

Looking for approximate values of the following packs..

1967 Diecuts
1977 Shedd's
1979 Test Pack

Thanks!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 04:28:27 AM »
Hey.

Looking for approximate values of the following packs..

1967 Diecuts
1977 Shedd's
1979 Test Pack

Thanks!

Die Cuts $1700-2000
Shedds $300
79 Test $200-300

The last two may be out of date as I don't really recall any recent sales.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 10:00:34 AM »
Some more requests-

Prices for 5c and 10c Wacky Ads packs,

codes and prices for the following..
73 Cloth
73 Posters
74 Posters
74 Tattoos
All Funpack Variations (No codes obviously)
79-80 Reissue Series'

Thanks!!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2017, 10:10:53 AM »
Some more requests-

Prices for 5c and 10c Wacky Ads packs,

codes and prices for the following..
73 Cloth
73 Posters
74 Posters
74 Tattoos
All Funpack Variations (No codes obviously)
79-80 Reissue Series'

Thanks!!

All the codes are in this file:

http://www.wackypacks.com/wrappers/wrappers.html

As for prices:

5-cent wacky ads $800-1000 (several recent sales to back this up)

10-cent wacky ads: really hard to say because they have rarely been offered, but I would guess nearly as much as the 5-cent, maybe $600, because there is pent up demand, whereas there happened to be 5 or 6 5-cent packs made available in the last 7 years from the same source

Cloth pack: again they are never offered, but I believe one sold for like $900 5 or 6 years ago

'73 posters $125-150
'74 posters $25
Tattoos cheap, maybe $10-15
Reissues dirt cheap, $3 for 1st and 3rd, maybe $5-8 for 2nd and 4th

Funpacks: difficult to say because they are rarely described correctly, but the common ones like 14th wrapper/12th checklist/15th sticker and the cello funpacks seem to be worth $15-20. Less common ones are usually described as normal original series packs and so pricing is meaningless. For example I got a 9th wrapper/1st UK checklist funpack a few years ago but it was listed as a 9th series pack.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 10:14:35 AM »
By the way, it's all very volatile and sensitive to supply/demand ebbs and flows, before 2010 I would have said 5-cent ads packs were worth more like $1500, but when I happened upon our pal Marty with 5 of them, his asking price was $800 which gradually increased as he sold more and had fewer left. So that kind of determines what they're worth until some other supply surfaces.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »
OK. I am trying to set general prices set in the middle. (Reliable as possible with what we have.)

If you don't mind, I also need prices for 73 and 74 posters. Not packs, but the posters themselves.

Thanks! (I'll stop after that.  :great: )

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 10:48:25 AM »
OK. I am trying to set general prices set in the middle. (Reliable as possible with what we have.)

If you don't mind, I also need prices for 73 and 74 posters. Not packs, but the posters themselves.

I don't collect the posters, I'll leave that to someone who does.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 05:37:26 PM »
I don't collect the posters, I'll leave that to someone who does.
I do not consider myself a subject matter expert on the posters, but I do own a full set, including the three rares and have sold a few here and there, too. I got my set about 6 years ago for $450 which computes to ~$19 per poster. I'd say this number is the right neighborhood, even today. Folded "commons" should go for $10-$20 each depending on condition. Unfolded probably at least 2-3 times that. The rares from '73 typically have gone for $125-$250 each [with some outliers even higher], again condition and demand depending.

Hope this info helps.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 04:30:55 AM »
I do not consider myself a subject matter expert on the posters, but I do own a full set, including the three rares and have sold a few here and there, too. I got my set about 6 years ago for $450 which computes to ~$19 per poster. I'd say this number is the right neighborhood, even today. Folded "commons" should go for $10-$20 each depending on condition. Unfolded probably at least 2-3 times that. The rares from '73 typically have gone for $125-$250 each [with some outliers even higher], again condition and demand depending.

Hope this info helps.

Well this is generally how I hypothesized the pricing.

'73- All commons 30, the three rares 150.
'74- All are 20.

So, should I change the price lower for '73 commons?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 07:07:56 AM »
Well this is generally how I hypothesized the pricing.

'73- All commons 30, the three rares 150.
'74- All are 20.

So, should I change the price lower for '73 commons?
The 73 commons aren't visually distringuishable, they are slightly larger, few seem to care so while supply is lower, demand for these is lower too.  I would put 73 commons at $20 and 74 commons at $10.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 07:21:30 AM »

I think it is great that you are doing this.  Save completed auctions and browse the sold items to guide you.  You have to realize that some collectors are going to be biased and feel items that they specifically collect are worth more like duo who habitually called out unopened packs are being worth more than they were selling on ebay with no explanation as to why he wasn't buying all the packs on ebay.  Few original series packs have sold for near $40, in fact, many have been failing to even get $20 per pack.  when evaluating "full boxes", take into account that the box is itself probably has a could hundred $ in value.  Tracking buy it now prices isn't ideal either as low buy it now prices get scooped up fast, I prefer to use items in which an auction went to closure as a measure of market value.  matt;s stuff has been habitually selling for lower than expected values, I leave the analysis of why that is happening to each collector.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 08:11:58 AM »
Speaking specifically of unopened packs, I personally have no doubt that they would sell well and at strong prices if there was confidence in the marketplace that the packs were legit. Another issue in the last five years is that packs have dried up to the point where they are kind of "out of sight, out of mind," so few collectors seem to want to get involved.

Can anyone imagine that if a minty cache of early series packs turned up with a respected and recognized provenance that they would not be aggressively pursued?

PSA grading of packs is still a mess in my opinion and likely always will be. The pack checking and certification process is pretty good (though fake sports cello packs have been and likely still will be certified from time to time). But the encapsulation process for packs is awful. Look on eBay at all of the PSA 9 graded packs with multiple tears from gum poking through. There just isn't any way to reliably encapsulate a pack, and so it's tough to get a system in place that promotes buyer confidence.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2017, 08:22:29 AM »
Speaking specifically of unopened packs, I personally have no doubt that they would sell well and at strong prices if there was confidence in the marketplace that the packs were legit. Another issue in the last five years is that packs have dried up to the point where they are kind of "out of sight, out of mind," so few collectors seem to want to get involved.

Can anyone imagine that if a minty cache of early series packs turned up with a respected and recognized provenance that they would not be aggressively pursued?

PSA grading of packs is still a mess in my opinion and likely always will be. The pack checking and certification process is pretty good (though fake sports cello packs have been and likely still will be certified from time to time). But the encapsulation process for packs is awful. Look on eBay at all of the PSA 9 graded packs with multiple tears from gum poking through. There just isn't any way to reliably encapsulate a pack, and so it's tough to get a system in place that promotes buyer confidence.
For all the reasons you stated, packs are not as valuable as duo seems to think. yes, if the world was an ideal place, everything would potentially be worth more.  duo constantly confuses his market of one or two high end buyers who are hiding in a closet somewhere as a measure of average market value.  Some day I will explain the concept of bell curves to him.  Exceptions do not define the hump.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2017, 08:24:15 AM »
I think it is great that you are doing this.  Save completed auctions and browse the sold items to guide you.  You have to realize that some collectors are going to be biased and feel items that they specifically collect are worth more like duo who habitually called out unopened packs are being worth more than they were selling on ebay with no explanation as to why he wasn't buying all the packs on ebay.  Few original series packs have sold for near $40, in fact, many have been failing to even get $20 per pack.  when evaluating "full boxes", take into account that the box is itself probably has a could hundred $ in value.  Tracking buy it now prices isn't ideal either as low buy it now prices get scooped up fast, I prefer to use items in which an auction went to closure as a measure of market value.  matt;s stuff has been habitually selling for lower than expected values, I leave the analysis of why that is happening to each collector.

Yep. I just want to make it easier for people to get pricing on the cards, but I also want it to be accurate. In total, it will be 42 pages worth of spreadsheets long as of now. This doesn't include the first page which is a table of contents. I will post it here for people to criticize it to make it as close to fair market value as possible. There will be a credits page at the end as well to shoutout the people who helped.

It is definitely going to take a while, though.

And who is "Duo"? Am I going insane?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2017, 08:38:53 AM »
I'm pretty sure he's referring to Steve Sabow. Maybe "Duo" is a Batman reference to his "dynamic two" ID?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2017, 02:02:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure he's referring to Steve Sabow. Maybe "Duo" is a Batman reference to his "dynamic two" ID?
Yes Dynamic 2.   Constant battle between reality and theory.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2017, 02:05:58 PM »
http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/HTML%20Stuff/priceguide1.txt

I haven't updated my price guide in over a decade but I think it's done pretty well standing up the test of time

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2017, 04:18:45 PM »
http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/HTML%20Stuff/priceguide1.txt

I haven't updated my price guide in over a decade but I think it's done pretty well standing up the test of time

I agree it has stood up pretty well. One exception is among the 1st series big four Lavirus is definitely second to Band-Ache in value now. Paul Maul and Mutts seem easier to find than Lavirus, especially in nice shape.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2017, 04:35:11 PM »
I agree it has stood up pretty well. One exception is among the 1st series big four Lavirus is definitely second to Band-Ache in value now. Paul Maul and Mutts seem easier to find than Lavirus, especially in nice shape.
Rarity and price don't always seem to align.  When I see equal grades lavirus and Paul Maul, the paul maul sells for more.  I am not ever sure of the rationalization for that.  Perhaps people are filling their series 1 holes with Wonderbread titles and since they can't with Paul maul and Bandache, they sell for more?

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2018, 09:24:39 PM »
It's been a while since I chimed in but I still need original boxes series 1 to 5, and 16. I will also be getting ready soon for the National Sports Collectors Convention in Cleveland during the first week in August. Before I go, I will provide a list and prices for all of my duplicates including series 1 packs and 1967 diecut packs and many other original series full boxes. Where have all of the original boxes gone? I have only added 2 boxes in one year and both are dups. Really been spending more money on sports packs from the 1940s to 1970; will bring them to the show. Happy hunting. Steve

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 06:43:44 AM »
It's been a while since I chimed in but I still need original boxes series 1 to 5, and 16. I will also be getting ready soon for the National Sports Collectors Convention in Cleveland during the first week in August. Before I go, I will provide a list and prices for all of my duplicates including series 1 packs and 1967 diecut packs and many other original series full boxes. Where have all of the original boxes gone? I have only added 2 boxes in one year and both are dups. Really been spending more money on sports packs from the 1940s to 1970; will bring them to the show. Happy hunting. Steve

Steve,

It's been years since packs and boxes showed up for public sale regularly, but even 10-15 years ago there was a stark difference in availability for early series boxes compared to later ones. I would estimate I have seen 6th, 7th, 9th 10th, 14th and 15th series boxes at least ten times each over the years, whereas I can count the number of legit series 1-5 boxes I have seen on a single hand. I used to own a 2nd series box and there was a Bum/Choke checklist 4th box broken up a few years ago that I recall. But for the most part they just aren't around. Then again, that's what I thought about 11ths until two turned up, so one never knows!

anything