Author Topic: Prices for OS Unopened Packs  (Read 35011 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Prices for OS Unopened Packs
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2021, 10:03:30 AM »
It’s very easy to detect packs that have been resealed with an iron in person, but on eBay, not so much.

That's why my unsealed pack collection comes from forum friends!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2021, 10:17:35 AM »
That's why my unsealed pack collection comes from forum friends!
So, when you get 'em, you open 'em?   :P

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2021, 10:44:14 AM »
So, when you get 'em, you open 'em?   :P

Unresealed? 🙂

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2021, 11:05:32 AM »
Unresealed? 🙂

Oh crap, I did it again.  Of course, I meant my "SEALED" pack collection.  Guess I am too tired to post. 

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2021, 11:22:31 AM »
Just curious, what do you collectors do with sealed packs? Put them in a display cabinet? I couldn’t resist opening them…..i know that reducers their value. Where would legit sealed packs come from at this point, 46-year-old NOS?

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2021, 12:34:41 PM »
Seller on fleabay currently has a full box of unopened Series 10 packs. Asking $3,000 for it. Out of my price range, but worth it? Does it look legit? Seller is “monkeydogz.”

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2021, 06:29:39 PM »
I would be concerned that the water damage evident on the box could affect some of the packs. It’s overpriced anyway. I haven’t bought packs in some time, but 10ths are among the most common and to me should not be worth more than $20 apiece, $25 max. Even in nice shape this is a $1200-1500 box IMHO.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2021, 07:46:50 PM »
I guess there’s no downside to a seller seeing if there’s one or two crazy buyers….

Offline Adrian

• If you’re not having fun, you’re doing it wrong
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2021, 06:52:38 PM »
Just curious, what do you collectors do with sealed packs? Put them in a display cabinet? I couldn’t resist opening them…..i know that reducers their value. Where would legit sealed packs come from at this point, 46-year-old NOS?

I normally buy a box, and then buy some loose packs so I have something to open. For my part I like the art work, and just having the box up close to study. Like you though I am always tempted to open packs. I am not sure long term what my plan is as I haven’t  sold anything I own.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 05:06:52 PM by Adrian »

Offline Adrian

« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2021, 06:54:54 PM »
I guess there’s no downside to a seller seeing if there’s one or two crazy buyers….

Believe or not I am seeing this with 91 Topps/92 OPC both sets and sealed. People are just placing crazy prices. I mean over $200 for a complete set OPC 1991 just seems ridiculous  ;D However if that sells, I guess it’s good for me  8)

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2021, 05:02:42 AM »
I am not sure if the Wacky market has seen this, but in comics, my other collectible, prices the last year have SKYROCKETED…with most key issues spiking 50-100 percent. Said comics are no more rare than they were a year ago, so maybe an economist can explain this market spike….

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2021, 11:23:38 AM »
I would be concerned that the water damage evident on the box could affect some of the packs. It’s overpriced anyway. I haven’t bought packs in some time, but 10ths are among the most common and to me should not be worth more than $20 apiece, $25 max. Even in nice shape this is a $1200-1500 box IMHO.
That is exactly the price range I was thinking.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2021, 11:30:50 AM »
I am not sure if the Wacky market has seen this, but in comics, my other collectible, prices the last year have SKYROCKETED…with most key issues spiking 50-100 percent. Said comics are no more rare than they were a year ago, so maybe an economist can explain this market spike….
As with cards, thanks to the stay at home orders, more people got into comics and cards.  I just got back from the Nationals and it was more packed than I have ever seen that show.  I talked with some of my dealer friends and all of them said it was a good show. Now normally you can find the great deals everywhere there, however great deals were far and few between. 

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2021, 01:37:31 PM »
Do we think this seller is asking so much for that box because of Pupsi? Even if you pulled multiple Pupsis, that box would not seem to be worth $3,000....excuse me $2,999.....
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 02:23:53 PM by JailOJohn »

Offline drono

« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2021, 02:03:16 PM »
How often do you see a complete unopened box of any series of Wacky Packages these days?  If it's truly an unopened box from 1974, the price is probably reasonable even with the water damage because other than an uncut sheet, it's the purest form available.  Shame on any of you who would open the packs!

I think it should have a higher value than buying an empty box and then buying 48 unopened packs and putting them into it over time - or even buying 48 wrappers, 96 stickers, 48 checklists, and 48 stale pieces of gum, and resealing them to make your own packs to fill it.  Sure you'd have a full box of "unopened" packs, but you still wouldn't have an unopened box from 1974.  Compare that to finding a 1929 Ford Model A Deluxe Roadster in working condition, although a little dirty, with all original parts vs. buying one from the junk yard and piecing together all the missing and broken parts to make a running car.  The latter might be more fun if you're into that, but the former would surely be worth more.

Too many people think that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole, when in some cases, the opposite is true when it's truly a rare find.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 02:04:59 PM by drono »

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2021, 05:45:39 PM »
Just for grins, i emailed the seller and asked him where he got a full box of 10th series Original Wacky Packages….his response was “ive had it for a very very long time.” I wasn’t expecting a full provenance, but this didn’t fill me with confidence…. The seller has a lot of transactions with a very good rating on e-bay…..
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 09:37:18 AM by JailOJohn »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2021, 06:11:48 PM »
In 2002 there was a dealer at the Philly non-Sports show who had multiple boxes of 9th and 10th series for $250 apiece. He still does the show to this day but his supply of wackys has run fairly dry.

What is very uncommon is boxes from series 1-5 and 11 and 13. The other series turn up, though not as often as they used to.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 06:14:32 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2021, 06:21:41 PM »
Wow, its like anything else. If you could go back in time with a bit of cash, or just have had the foresight to have bought 4 or 5 boxes….they would now be worth 10 or 12 times what you paid…..

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2021, 09:34:23 AM »
Could someone give me a ballpark price for an un-opened pack (and box) of the Posters? I am referring to the blue pack ones. I have seen these on e-bay lately as both single packs and as full boxes. Are these not so rare?

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2021, 11:03:22 AM »
You can get a full box in the 600-700 range.  Sometimes you can find them in the 500's

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2021, 04:59:33 PM »
This isn’t really a sealed pack discussion, but i need a First series set. A seller called Make Mine Marvel has a complete set on e-bay, all stickers there, says condition is “great” (i know thats not a recognized grade.) Starting bid is $180, i know it could go substantially higher, but seems too good to be true….
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 05:06:31 PM by JailOJohn »

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2021, 07:00:12 PM »
This isn’t really a sealed pack discussion, but i need a First series set. A seller called Make Mine Marvel has a complete set on e-bay, all stickers there, says condition is “great” (i know thats not a recognized grade.) Starting bid is $180, i know it could go substantially higher, but seems too good to be true….

Make Mine Marvel is Matt Stock... do some research on here about him before you decide!

Jim   

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2021, 03:47:18 AM »
Greg Grant has a 1st series set available through his web store which looks to be nice and priced reasonably.

https://www.wackypacks.com/forsale/new/vintage.html

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2021, 04:47:45 AM »
Thank you for the tip. That set Mr. Grant has looks nice, but is a bit more than i have to spend at this time. It is a fair price, based on Band Aches price guide that says around $400 for a NM set. I dont quite trust the “bargain set” and will save up my money and wait snd see what else is out there….
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 04:50:11 AM by JailOJohn »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2021, 06:19:26 AM »
Thank you for the tip. That set Mr. Grant has looks nice, but is a bit more than i have to spend at this time. It is a fair price, based on Band Aches price guide that says around $400 for a NM set. I dont quite trust the “bargain set” and will save up my money and wait snd see what else is out there….

It has been stated by some in the past that Matt’s eBay auctions do not always feature photos of the actual stickers you will receive, so that is something to keep in mind. And I personally think a NM 1st series set is worth at least $600.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2021, 07:47:40 AM »
Greg's first series set has the Oddie Boy variation, no? It looks like the shading is missing, most notably on the bowl. That adds probably ~$70 to the set I would guess.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2021, 10:40:13 AM »
I have not had dealings with Mr. Stock, but I am not a fan of using stock photos to represent what you are actually selling….or as my friend in the advertising business used to say “bait and switch.” I dont need (and cannot afford) a NM set, but i need to get what i think im getting. I am not familiar with the “Oddie Boy” variant, but am just looking for a good mid grade set. Thank you for  the guidance, i am a relative novice in the secondary market. I completed some of the middle series in the 70s and 80s, and like many, with being locked down the last 15 months, am looking to fill in or complete my sets….I would welcome any other input on the value if a mid-grade first series…

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2021, 02:46:38 PM »
I would welcome any other input on the value if a mid-grade first series…
If by "mid-grade" you're talking around EX/EX+, then I'd say $200-$250 is about the target range.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2021, 04:27:13 PM »
My apologies, I am more familiar with the grades on comics, but yes, Ex + will do nicely….

Offline Adrian

« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2021, 06:06:46 AM »
A sealed box of 1973 is available https://www.bbcexchange.com/1973-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Unopened-Series-1-Wax-Box-BBCE. I guess the price makes sense considering the last box up at auction went close to 50k.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2021, 08:21:49 PM »
A sealed box of 1973 is available https://www.bbcexchange.com/1973-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Unopened-Series-1-Wax-Box-BBCE. I guess the price makes sense considering the last box up at auction went close to 50k.

So in trying to follow the trail of these boxes, my guess is the guy who came here sold at least 4 boxes to Steve Hart from BBCE.  I believe the guy from here had 6 boxes.  Steven promptly BBCE sealed a box, listed in on heritage referring to himself as second hand stating BBCE thinks the box is the "only one known" and is worth $50k and sure enough, it sold for $50k.  I always  felt that Heritage auction was misleading as no matter who the seller was, clearly they had to know more than one box had been unearthed and it was NOT one of a kind.  I believe Steve has sold at least 3 boxes, he had one still showing at a recent show in Chicago which is offered in this link.  Maybe Steve has 3 left and bought the whole stash but my gut tells me the guy that plopped in here looking for free advice kept 2 boxes for a rainy day.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Adrian

« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2021, 05:15:42 PM »
So in trying to follow the trail of these boxes, my guess is the guy who came here sold at least 4 boxes to Steve Hart from BBCE.  I believe the guy from here had 6 boxes.  Steven promptly BBCE sealed a box, listed in on heritage referring to himself as second hand stating BBCE thinks the box is the "only one known" and is worth $50k and sure enough, it sold for $50k.  I always  felt that Heritage auction was misleading as no matter who the seller was, clearly they had to know more than one box had been unearthed and it was NOT one of a kind.  I believe Steve has sold at least 3 boxes, he had one still showing at a recent show in Chicago which is offered in this link.  Maybe Steve has 3 left and bought the whole stash but my gut tells me the guy that plopped in here looking for free advice kept 2 boxes for a rainy day.

Wow thanks for the story on this. I am newer to the forum. It’s a good thing I don’t have that kind of money, as I would buy and open. But I promise I would film it to savour every moment and share with you all. However, I don’t think I could ever spend that much on a box of cards. Maybe if 48 of us pony up 950 we each get a pack   :]

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2021, 12:00:12 AM »
Wow thanks for the story on this. I am newer to the forum. It’s a good thing I don’t have that kind of money, as I would buy and open. But I promise I would film it to savour every moment and share with you all. However, I don’t think I could ever spend that much on a box of cards. Maybe if 48 of us pony up 950 we each get a pack   :]

A box like that should be left intact! 

Offline drono

« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2021, 02:27:52 PM »
A box like that should be left intact!

Absolutely!  And in there lays the conundrum of leaving it BBCE wrapped where you can't even enjoy seeing the packs inside.  It's a collectible version of Schrödinger's cat.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2021, 02:57:50 PM »
Absolutely!  And in there lays the conundrum of leaving it BBCE wrapped where you can't even enjoy seeing the packs inside.  It's a collectible version of Schrödinger's cat.

I have said for years that BBCE should have a system where all packs in the box are photographed and part of the wrapping is a code number that points to the photos on their website. Absolutely necessary, because BBCE will wrap a box as long as they decide the packs are legitimate. They do not have to be from the same original box, and Frankenstein boxes like that are very easy to discern if you can examine the packs for uniformity. Impossible to tell without examining at least photos.