Author Topic: Old School 6 - An open letter to Topps and discussion  (Read 8441 times)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Old School 6 - An open letter to Topps and discussion
« on: April 06, 2017, 03:06:06 PM »
Hi all,

Over in the 50th Anniversary thread there's been some discussion and friendly debate about rumors regarding Old School Series 6 coming soon from Topps.  Having a strong affection for the Old School series and what it's given to the hobby and this community these past years, I wanted pen an open letter to Topps.    Making some impassioned requests as well as kicking off a dedicated thread to this topic to perhaps have our collective voice be heard.   Old School is a series that is geared toward our community and I think we can have a voice in how it is shaped.  How it evolves, if in fact there is a need for it to do so. 

I'm going to kick this off with a want list.

This list of impassioned requests is directed at Topps - a list of what I'd like Old School 6 to include.   This is predicated by the understood mission of Old School, which was to create a premium, direct-to-collector series that captured the old school look and feel of the OS Wacky Packages sets (a stripped down, less chase-card driven series than modern versions), while incorporating some premium bonuses not readily found in modern series (things like the sketches in each and every box). 

Here goes:

==============================================================================

1. Keep the format of Old School.  That is to say, give us our 32 base sticker series illustrated by Dave, presented in packs and sold in classically-styled display boxes. 

2. Have full thick black borders and have the stickers die-cut, as Wackys have always been - certainly how "old school" Wackys have always been.  Personally, I'm willing to pay a little more to get this. 

3. A sketch card in each box - while not a classically "old school" element, the sketches strike such a positive chord with the collector community - and where so many of the artists are close to this community (many are an involved part of it), this is quite a special element of the series.   It brings the community and the creators closer together.  It connects us and to a degree gives us a feeling of personal investment in it.  That's a beautiful thing.

4. Have a 9 piece puzzle set - folks dig 9-piece puzzles around these parts. 

5. Just do a single base set - a tan back set for instance -  and ignore the variation backs.   This might not be universally embraced, but if this adjustment would put resources back towards the above things, why not.  We don't need Ludlows or white back variants, although they're certainly a fun little element. 

And that's it.  These five points are a request to the powers that be at Topps to consider us in the calculations for this series.   Those of us in this community and this forum have learned a lot through the years of the Old School series that have come before.  Certainly we've learned about the processes and steps that go into a series like this - it's been an education.  It's a lot of complicated pieces to create the manufacturing, packaging and distribution picture.  So we understand that things like diecuts cost money, and sketches take time, and so on.   

I'd like to think that, from the communities side, given our understanding of what goes into these Old School series paired with our desires of what to see in this next one, there would be a willingness to pay for a "more complete" version of what we want.   And that there would similarly be a willingness for Topps to meet that demand.

I invite other members to share their own desires, hopes and requests for Old School 6 with Topps here - and with luck, they'll take a glimpse at what the hobby community (represented by this forum) is saying and thinking.  And wants. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 03:15:57 PM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Old School 6 - An open letter to Topps and discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 03:31:36 PM »
I agree with everything you said, except that I would prefer white backs over tans.  And, I would specify REAL PRODUCTS!!!

Offline dth1971

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 03:46:47 PM »
Nothing about an Old School 6 80's and 90's subset?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 04:11:55 PM »
I agree with everything you said, except that I would prefer white backs over tans.  And, I would specify REAL PRODUCTS!!!

I would have thought that would go without saying, but in light of the move toward so many imaginary products in other series - yes.  100%
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 04:14:55 PM »

I didn't mention subsets as, like the peel-back variations, that would seem to be an added cost that could take away from some of the other elements.   That and subsets really do diverge from the "old school" mission.

But IF subsets were to be included anyway, 80's and 90's aren't bad ideas. 

Personally, I'm still holding out for a dedicated 80's series.   :-)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 04:31:45 PM »

I agree. White backs over tan any day. Tan was their way of saving money. We don't need that in Old School.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 05:06:31 PM »
I agree. White backs over tan any day. Tan was their way of saving money. We don't need that in Old School.

If I remember correctly, Topps went to a lot of trouble to reproduce tan backs for us in Old School.  I prefer the white backs because they are a little sturdier.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 05:09:00 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 05:43:46 PM »
Question.  If Topps were to cut cost effective corners - which they are doing, and will probably continue to do so - what would you rather give up: die-cuts or white backs?  I think we would have to make concessions somewhere.

Also, Jason, I like the idea of an open letter - and possibly a petition which would add a bit more of a punch.  I cannot help but to wonder, however, if this open letter might be too late - for OS6, at least?

I personally would prefer a die-cut, tan back, thick black bordered set of 33 titles (with artwork & humor befitting the OS series) and one puzzle checklist.  Nothing more.  No subsets.  No zany borders.  No sketches.  No different backs.  Keep it simple.  Or more to the point, keep it less complicated.  The more complicated things become, the messier everything gets, and then where will the set run?  A dozen different directions at once?  But, wait a minute.  Didn't we just see a set that was similarly drawn and quartered?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 06:00:55 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 05:48:46 PM »
As I said, my recollection is that Topps went extra steps to reproduce tan backs.  Whatever is cheapest for them for backs is fine with me, but I really do want kiss cut stickers.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 05:52:42 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 06:11:37 PM »
As I said, my recollection is that Topps went extra steps to reproduce tan backs.  Whatever is cheapest for them for backs is fine with me, but I really do want kiss cut stickers.
that's what I recall as well - that the 'tan' of the tan back was a color printed on the sheets. Nice white card stock works for me

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 06:40:58 PM »
that's what I recall as well - that the 'tan' of the tan back was a color printed on the sheets. Nice white card stock works for me

I agree. The tan and ludlow backs were nice for a release or two as fun throw backs but white backs would be fine and welcomed. Anyone up for trifolds?   ;)
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline GadzookaBoy

• Just Another Funko Observer
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 07:05:37 PM »
33 is a good number of stickers.

Actual products too.

White back over Tan for me also.

I do love Ludlows though, maybe as limited surprise random inserts.

9 pc. Puzzle is a must.

Wax Wrappers would be nice.

Dave should do all the artwork, that is another must have.

All of the above makes it Old School for me.

How old is this gum ???
It's ALL about being WACKY !!!
WEB SITE http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/
TOY/PERSONAL BLOG http:/jafosnews.blogspot.com/

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 07:06:31 PM »
My 2 cents on this - I agree with all of Jason's bullet points, and have one important one to add - if Dave has any sense from Topps that this might be the final series for Old School, it would be great if the series maximizes the products most familiar and beloved to our childhoods - candies, toys, sugary drinks, snack cakes, junk foods, classic comic books, etc.  Although some great ones have been done in prior series, they were always done sparingly along with more "mature" consumer products, some of which were somewhat unfamiliar or obscure, at least in my memory.  Now that the end at least feels near, leave nothing on the table!  Paint that grape Nehi, Nerf football, Doritos, Jolly Rancher Stix, Creature Feature cards, and so on!  A guy can dream, can't he? 🤓

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 08:41:47 PM »
Hi all,

Over in the 50th Anniversary thread there's been some discussion and friendly debate about rumors regarding Old School Series 6 coming soon from Topps.  Having a strong affection for the Old School series and what it's given to the hobby and this community these past years, I wanted pen an open letter to Topps.    Making some impassioned requests as well as kicking off a dedicated thread to this topic to perhaps have our collective voice be heard.   Old School is a series that is geared toward our community and I think we can have a voice in how it is shaped.  How it evolves, if in fact there is a need for it to do so. 

I'm going to kick this off with a want list.

This list of impassioned requests is directed at Topps - a list of what I'd like Old School 6 to include.   This is predicated by the understood mission of Old School, which was to create a premium, direct-to-collector series that captured the old school look and feel of the OS Wacky Packages sets (a stripped down, less chase-card driven series than modern versions), while incorporating some premium bonuses not readily found in modern series (things like the sketches in each and every box). 

Here goes:

1. Keep the format of Old School.  That is to say, give us our 32 base sticker series illustrated by Dave, presented in packs and sold in classically-styled display boxes. 

2. Have full thick black borders and have the stickers die-cut, as Wackys have always been - certainly how "old school" Wackys have always been.  Personally, I'm willing to pay a little more to get this. 

3. A sketch card in each box - while not a classically "old school" element, the sketches strike such a positive chord with the collector community - and where so many of the artists are close to this community (many are an involved part of it), this is quite a special element of the series.   It brings the community and the creators closer together.  It connects us and to a degree gives us a feeling of personal investment in it.  That's a beautiful thing.

4. Have a 9 piece puzzle set - folks dig 9-piece puzzles around these parts. 

5. Just do a single base set - a tan back set for instance -  and ignore the variation backs.   This might not be universally embraced, but if this adjustment would put resources back towards the above things, why not.  We don't need Ludlows or white back variants, although they're certainly a fun little element. 

And that's it.  These five points are a request to the powers that be at Topps to consider us in the calculations for this series.   Those of us in this community and this forum have learned a lot through the years of the Old School series that have come before.  Certainly we've learned about the processes and steps that go into a series like this - it's been an education.  It's a lot of complicated pieces to create the manufacturing, packaging and distribution picture.  So we understand that things like diecuts cost money, and sketches take time, and so on.   

I'd like to think that, from the communities side, given our understanding of what goes into these Old School series paired with our desires of what to see in this next one, there would be a willingness to pay for a "more complete" version of what we want.   And that there would similarly be a willingness for Topps to meet that demand.

I invite other members to share their own desires, hopes and requests for Old School 6 with Topps here - and with luck, they'll take a glimpse at what the hobby community (represented by this forum) is saying and thinking.  And wants.

Hey Jason, thanks for taking the time to do something like this. I would like nothing more than all of this to happen. Unlike the 50th series which was for retail first this one is strictly for the hardcore collector so I would hope they look at something like this and really understand that this is what everyone wants. Maybe this can be sent to Topps ASAP. I make suggestions all the time but coming from the actual collectors may do more than I could ever do. I also would like to add that I hope they cut the production in half. If I remember it was 5000. I think 2500 is much more of a doable number. I'm not allowed to talk about any specifics as of yet but definitely a few of these points need to be pushed by the Forum to Topps.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 08:42:42 PM »

White or Tan is good with me. Whichever is cheaper and helps to get any of the other points considered. Just not more than one back type!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 08:43:09 PM »

I would love to do OLDS 1980s next if this set sells well.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 08:46:13 PM »
33 is a good number of stickers.

Actual products too.

White back over Tan for me also.

I do love Ludlows though, maybe as limited surprise random inserts.

9 pc. Puzzle is a must.

Wax Wrappers would be nice.

Dave should do all the artwork, that is another must have.

All of the above makes it Old School for me.

I did all the artwork which is done and they are all real 1970s products. A few of the titles are the last Jay Lynch written gags he did.

I like Luds but would prefer just one back type (white or tan, no preference).

We never had wax wrappers in OLDS so that one particular thing will not happen as it's very expensive. I would like to see them sell individual unfolded wax wrappers though like the first few OLDS series that came with the binders.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 08:52:09 PM »
My 2 cents on this - I agree with all of Jason's bullet points, and have one important one to add - if Dave has any sense from Topps that this might be the final series for Old School, it would be great if the series maximizes the products most familiar and beloved to our childhoods - candies, toys, sugary drinks, snack cakes, junk foods, classic comic books, etc.  Although some great ones have been done in prior series, they were always done sparingly along with more "mature" consumer products, some of which were somewhat unfamiliar or obscure, at least in my memory.  Now that the end at least feels near, leave nothing on the table!  Paint that grape Nehi, Nerf football, Doritos, Jolly Rancher Stix, Creature Feature cards, and so on!  A guy can dream, can't he? 🤓

That dream is true. The art is already done and I can say it's heavy on toys, sugar drinks, cereal, alcohol, cigarettes, trading cards, candy and a few good old household items.

The reason I mixed everything up in the previous 5 series was to keep a good balance between all the product types also knowing some of the categories had much larger or smaller amounts of products left that had not yet been done. There should not be a single product this series where you'd have to Google search or ask Jason what the heck it is.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 09:12:52 PM »
Hey Jason, thanks for taking the time to do something like this. I would like nothing more than all of this to happen. Unlike the 50th series which was for retail first this one is strictly for the hardcore collector so I would hope they look at something like this and really understand that this is what everyone wants. Maybe this can be sent to Topps ASAP. I make suggestions all the time but coming from the actual collectors may do more than I could ever do. I also would like to add that I hope they cut the production in half. If I remember it was 5000. I think 2500 is much more of a doable number. I'm not allowed to talk about any specifics as of yet but definitely a few of these points need to be pushed by the Forum to Topps.

So who is the right person or department to aim this kind of feedback towards? Is email more effective than snail mail? Phone calls? I think many of us would be glad to voice our opinions, outside of bitching to each other here in the forum, if we knew where to direct to.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 03:42:52 AM »
White or Tan is good with me. Whichever is cheaper and helps to get any of the other points considered. Just not more than one back type!

One back type would be my preference, too; I thought the white might be cheaper for them, which might help with keeping the kiss cuts.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 09:33:22 AM »
There should not be a single product this series where you'd have to Google search or ask Jason what the heck it is.

Hah!

Offline quas

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 11:16:57 AM »
That dream is true. The art is already done and I can say it's heavy on toys, sugar drinks, cereal, alcohol, cigarettes, trading cards, candy and a few good old household items.

The reason I mixed everything up in the previous 5 series was to keep a good balance between all the product types also knowing some of the categories had much larger or smaller amounts of products left that had not yet been done. There should not be a single product this series where you'd have to Google search or ask Jason what the heck it is.

Hooray for bringing back the tobacco and alcohol!  I never quite understood why they were acceptable in Chrome when they were so taboo in everything (particularly sketch cards) starting around the time of Old School 4.  With respect to alcohol, there was also a Topps inconsistency with respect to banning of pure alcohol products (e.g., Bloodweiser) versus non-banning of some products depicting some degree of intoxication or product alcoholic content (e.g., Barman, Brandyland, Wheezit).
Marc

Offline Beanball

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 11:20:34 AM »
1) White backs with low numbers of ludlow (with black border diecuts)
2) Sketch cards
3) 9 piece puzzle
4) Lost wackies. Yes, Lost Wackies. Why not throw us a bone once in a while)?
5) Lower distribution number.
6) Always consider another set. :P

Online mikecho

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 12:33:25 PM »
Do you think we can finally get Urban-American SpaghettoOs made at last? Is there any chance of that happening at all? After all, Genesis Beer was planned for OLDS 3 and finally came out in OLDS 5. Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 12:42:21 PM by mikecho »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 08:46:03 AM »
Forum Members,

Besides Wackys, I also collect "Celestial Seasonings" tea boxes, both past and present, primarily for their striking artwork.

Okay, so what?

Recently, Celestial Seasonings took it upon themselves to update and "clean up their look," as it were.

Before:

Now:

As you can see, the change was drastic - which reminds me of some other drastic changes I've seen of late.

On their corporate website, Celestial Seasonings posted the following:

The Magic is Back

Our Artful, Iconic Packaging Has Returned.
On Store Shelves Now.

Our Classic Look is Back

For nearly 50 years, Celestial Seasonings has brought the magic of tea to people around the world with its unique and captivating packaging, matching the goodness and flavor found inside the box.

Last year, Celestial Seasonings made some changes to the packaging. We modernized the look and feel of the box in hopes of offering a more refreshed design. Many of you felt that with the removal of the iconic art, some of that special Celestial magic had disappeared.

Well, you spoke—and we listened. In response to such passionate feedback from fans around the world, we've brought the classic and cherished Celestial look back to our boxes. Our magical, imaginative packaging has returned! Look for our iconic, artful tea boxes you love know and love. On store shelves now.

Wonderful Fans

Since the beginning, Celestial Seasonings has been a company with integrity always recognizing the importance of listening to our enthusiasts. We've brought the classic Celestial Seasonings look back to our boxes in response to feedback from our passionate fans.

Beautiful Artwork

Sleepytime Bear is back in his den enjoying a well-earned nap—that's right, the full artwork has returned to our beloved boxes. Bengal Spice's majestic tiger is surrounded by the exotic spice fields of his native land. Tension Tamer's enchantingly magical castle scene is behind the mystical Tension Tamer Lady and her faithful dragon.

Celestial Seasonings (a company that has also been in existence nearly 50 years) took a risk.  It didn't work, however, and they not only realized and acknowledged the error of their ways (as well as their lost revenue) - but completely undid the error and made a complete 180 degree turn.  Thus the obvious question comes to mind: Why can't Topps do the same?

Jason, I welcome your idea about an open letter to Topps.  However, as I mentioned before, I believe we also need a petition.  That, or everybody needs to send a letter.  Perhaps we can create a "generic" letter that everyone can copy, paste, sign, and send?  This letter would have to be very specific, however, addressing only a few main points/concerns that EVERYBODY will have to agree upon.  It can't go on about this and that and the other - or else it would just be too darn confusing.  Whether I agree with them or not, I respect everyone's opinions and requests in this thread.  There are just too many points of view, however, and some are even contrary.  There are, however, some views the group shares in common and insists upon: Parodies of actual products, for example.  These would be what we would have to address.  Also, I believe our suggestions should not only be aimed primarily at Old School, but Wacky Packages in general.

It would be very pleasant, indeed, if we could go into Topps' website in the upcoming months and find something very similar to what Celestial Seasonings so recently wrote.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 01:07:02 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 10:05:28 PM »

Jason, I welcome your idea about an open letter to Topps.  However, as I mentioned before, I believe we also need a petition.  That, or everybody needs to send a letter.  Perhaps we can create a "generic" letter that everyone can copy, paste, sign, and send?  This letter would have to be very specific, however, addressing only a few main points/concerns that EVERYBODY will have to agree upon.  It can't go on about this and that and the other - or else it would just be too darn confusing.  Whether I agree with them or not, I respect everyone's opinions and requests in this thread.  There are just too many points of view, however, and some are even contrary.  There are, however, some views the group shares in common and insists upon: Parodies of actual products, for example.  These would be what we would have to address.  Also, I believe our suggestions should not only be aimed primarily at Old School, but Wacky Packages in general.

It would be very pleasant, indeed, if we could go into Topps' website in the upcoming months and find something very similar to what Celestial Seasonings so recently wrote.

I'm not going to debate the merits of how to best communicate with Topps or what or how to focus that communication, be it more specifically or more broadly - or both at the same time.   

I've been on both sides of this kind of thing, the other side way back when I was in charge of a popular fan franchise called the X-Men.  And I recall having the belief back then that I knew what was best for those books - and my reasoning was at least partly due to the fact that I was sitting in the chair that I was.   Maybe not so arrogant a belief as it was a professional confidence supported by high sales and past experiences.  But let there be no confusion; I didn't always make the right decisions.  I think I made some pretty good ones along the way but more importantly I eventually learned from my mistakes.   

So, whether it be a petition or letter or anything else, our message might not be likely to change the decision-maker's mind at Topps, because he or she is under the impression that they know what is best for the product.   Far better than any of us, "the fans" could know.  Lest we wouldn't all be in the respective positions we are in. 

And like myself those many moons ago, even if they're wrong... it's unlikely that a communication from us will convince them of that.

Still, it's worthwhile to communicate.   Because it's worthwhile to try, and maybe the decision-maker(s) at Topps are smarter than I was way back then and more able to listen.  I hope so, I hope they're more evolved than I was.   I just think you need to do it rationally and intelligently.  I believe the format isn't as important as the message.  So, by all means, communicate however you like.   Write your letter and form your petition.  It's worth a shot. 

I still like my way best.  But then again, I always have...

And with that, and in the spirit of "old school" and your Celestial Seasonings tale, something from my personal archives...

Celestial Seasonings - Sleepy Time herb tea - 4 tea bags - 0.22 oz package - 1979
by Jason Liebig, on Flickr

Celestial Seasonings - Mandarin Orange Spice herb tea - 4 tea bags - 0.4 oz package - 1979

Celestial Seasonings - Cinnamon Rose herb tea - 4 tea bags - 0.42 oz package - 1980

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 11:35:07 AM »
How's about having a collectors box available directly from Topps?

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2017, 05:04:28 PM »
in the spirit of "old school" and your Celestial Seasonings tale, something from my personal archives...

Wow!  These - and the prices - are a blast from the past.  Especially like the "Cinnamon Rose."  I'll have to keep my eye open for it during my hunts.  Thanks for posting!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2017, 05:13:27 PM »
I still like my way best.  But then again, I always have...

Please bear in mind that I wasn't necessarily trying to change or undermine your open letter idea.  And, if perhaps, it came across that way, please accept my apologies for that was never my intent.  Personally, I feel an open letter is a great idea!  Go for it!  I'll champion you all of the way!  I simply thought such a letter might bear more weight if not only conceived, but also delivered from a "collective voice."

Rob
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:27:33 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2017, 11:31:50 PM »
Please bear in mind that I wasn't necessarily trying to change or undermine your open letter idea.  And, if perhaps, it came across that way, please accept my apologies for that was never my intent.  Personally, I feel an open letter is a great idea!  Go for it!  I'll champion you all of the way!  I simply thought such a letter might bear more weight if not only conceived, but also delivered from a "collective voice."

Rob

I think you were perfectly clear.  I wasn't offended by anything you said. 

I simply disagree to the potential efficacy of one approach over the other, or more accurately, to the ability to actually do what you're proposing.   I'm just not going to attempt to not debate it if I can avoid it.  If you want to give it a whirl, why not? 

This is what I see (and here I am debating, when I really don't want to):  trying to form a "collective voice" while simultaneously forming a second branch of lobbying to Topps seems to do the opposite of that.  [I also don't think a "collective voice" in the way you propose is anything realistic.  I suspect just the two of us would disagree on what "main points" should be focused on.]    And a letter or petition that aims to be "more specific" while proposing to move from a specific focus on Old School to broadening the target to "All Wacky Packages series" also seems to do the opposite of the "more specific" goal. 

But like I said, I think there's a very good chance that the person making the (in my opinion) boneheaded design decisions of ridding Wacky Packages of the iconic/strong black border and die cutting from the stickers, that person isn't listening to people's opinions of how they should manage this property and brand.    At least they aren't listening to the voices they should (in my opinion).

The die-cut thing isn't even a design choice based on someone's (right or wrong) opinion of what consumers' changing tastes demand; it's a cost-cutting measure, plain and simple.     It makes the product "less than" to adjust the balance sheet or the price charged to us.  Nothing more.   That's no one's opinion.   And for a mass market retail product, I can at least understand that (even if I don't agree with it, even in that case).   For a hobby direct product, I think it's a questionable decision, at best.  Not having seen the differential in prices we (the adult collectors) might have to pay to get our Wacky Packages Old School product that retains the most Old School features.   The desire to pay more or not could be up for some healthy debate, but we aren't being given the option.   Someone is making that decision for us.  And I suspect their conclusions are wrong. 

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2017, 08:03:42 AM »
I don't see it as a debate, but rather clarification.  Thanks!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2017, 11:10:19 AM »
Wow!  These - and the prices - are a blast from the past.  Especially like the "Cinnamon Rose."  I'll have to keep my eye open for it during my hunts.  Thanks for posting!

From the beginning, Celestial Seasonings have been known for beautiful art on their packaging.  Glad they realize the importance of that. 

anything