Author Topic: 2017 MLB Opening Day  (Read 9554 times)

Offline Lavirus

2017 MLB Opening Day
« on: April 02, 2017, 09:38:33 AM »
Anyone selling a set of the 2017 MLB Opening Day Wackys?

Offline Baked Bears

Re: 2017 MLB Opening Day
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 10:08:54 AM »
The night I ordered my set, there was a glitch in Topps' site and although it seemed my order sent through, I couldn't be sure.  Thus, the next morning, I clicked on the same frozen screen again (to make sure) and inadvertently wound up ordering two sets.

I haven't received them yet, but when I do - assuming I do get two sets - I'll sell you one at cost plus postage.

Just to make sure, we're talking about the postcard set rendered in regular colors, yes?  Not the sepia or gold set (or whatever it was) or possibly some other set of which I am unaware.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 10:34:36 AM »
That's very generous of you. Are you referring to the 5x7 set? I was looking for the regular sized stickers, is Topps selling a set of those? Sorry, I should've been more specific.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 11:11:37 AM »
Yes, I was referring to the 5 x 7s.  Don't really know if Topps issued a regular size set.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
Don't really know if Topps issued a regular size set.
My understanding is they did not. Regular sized stickers, I believe, are only found individually in the wild. [Someone please correct me if I'm wrong]

Also happy to hear I'm not the only one still waiting to receive the 5x7 set....

Online sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 11:48:38 AM »
My understanding is they did not. Regular sized stickers, I believe, are only found individually in the wild. [Someone please correct me if I'm wrong]

Also happy to hear I'm not the only one still waiting to receive the 5x7 set....

I received my 5x7 MLB opening day set in Saturday's mail, so they are on the way.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 01:16:11 PM »
My understanding is they did not. Regular sized stickers, I believe, are only found individually in the wild.

Ok, so does anyone have a regular-sized set they've put together from packs for sale?

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 01:16:37 PM »

The only regular sized cards I've seen are in the Opening Day baseball card packs. I have one color and one gold set of the 5x7's. Still wanting the smaller cards though...
Brian Mc

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 02:53:57 PM »
Ok, so does anyone have a regular-sized set they've put together from packs for sale?

I've just seen the Kansas City Royals Mustard insert card on eBay for $14.75, so I guess a full set will spring up eventually.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »
I've just seen the Kansas City Royals Mustard insert card on eBay for $14.75, so I guess a full set will spring up eventually.

At this point, I'm glad Topps liberated me from the need to "collect 'em all."

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 04:22:36 PM »
At this point, I'm glad Topps liberated me from the need to "collect 'em all."

I'm still struggling with that, though I've been judicious about the really expensive stuff, I still feel the need to get almost all the officially released products. Even if the MLB stuff is truly awful.

Cognitive dissonance!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 05:43:29 PM »
I'm still struggling with that, though I've been judicious about the really expensive stuff, I still feel the need to get almost all the officially released products. Even if the MLB stuff is truly awful.

Cognitive dissonance!

Same here.  Know exactly how you feel.  Done a lot of wrestling with this lately, but the little red devil on my shoulder always seems to come out victorious. 

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 06:22:20 AM »
Here's the 9 card subset:

MLB WACKY PACKAGES
 WP-1 Boston Clam Chowder Boston Red Sox®
 WP-2 Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Chicago Cubs®
 WP-3 Texas Alphabet Chili Texas Rangers®
 WP-4 Kansas City Royals Mustard Kansas City Royals®
 WP-5 D'Backs Ssssssarsaparilla Arizona Diamondbacks®
 WP-6 Chi-Town Kielbasa Chicago White Sox®
 WP-7 Reds Hot Salsa Cincinnati Reds®
 WP-8 Mariners Tuna Steak Marinade Seattle Mariners™
 WP-9 MLB® Draft MLB® Draft

Online sco(o)t

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 06:39:41 AM »
Here's the 9 card subset:

MLB WACKY PACKAGES
 WP-1 Boston Clam Chowder Boston Red Sox®
 WP-2 Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Chicago Cubs®
 WP-3 Texas Alphabet Chili Texas Rangers®

It is kinda crappy that after the MLB/Wacky release last, Topps then releases on extension of it as cards within a baseball set. I am glad for the postcard set offered by Topps but, in fairness to collectors, I think they should have also offered the trading card sized as well. And the postcard set doesn't even show up under Wacky Packages on the Topps website. If Neil hadn't mentioned it on the forum, who would have even known until they started showing up on eBay?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 07:22:47 AM »
These started as a subset within the 2016 baseball set before the MLB/Wacky set showed up, if I recall right.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 07:51:55 AM »
These started as a subset within the 2016 baseball set before the MLB/Wacky set showed up, if I recall right.

That is my recollection as well.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 08:05:30 AM »

It is kinda crappy that after the MLB/Wacky release last, Topps then releases on extension of it as cards within a baseball set. I am glad for the postcard set offered by Topps but, in fairness to collectors, I think they should have also offered the trading card sized as well. And the postcard set doesn't even show up under Wacky Packages on the Topps website. If Neil hadn't mentioned it on the forum, who would have even known until they started showing up on eBay?

Offering what is a fairly rare insert for sale as a set defeats the purpose of it being a rare insert. I don't think they'll end up being super expensive given the apathy with which baseball card collectors have received these so far. It seems to be mostly wacky collectors who want them.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 08:19:33 AM »
Offering what is a fairly rare insert for sale as a set defeats the purpose of it being a rare insert. I don't think they'll end up being super expensive given the apathy with which baseball card collectors have received these so far. It seems to be mostly wacky collectors who want them.

Agreed.  But, even at $15 per card, I'll once again be passing.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 03:27:40 AM »
I received my 5 x 7 postcard set yesterday and managed to score two of the regular size cards on the bay at lower prices. I am glad I got a few of them because they have different color backs which are replicated in the larger cards.  I am happy withe larger size so you can really see the art detail...and a few of the to illustrate the primary release.

Andrew

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 04:30:06 AM »

Can you post pictures, PLEASE !!!!!

Online sco(o)t

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 06:33:15 AM »
I received my 5 x 7 postcard set yesterday and managed to score two of the regular size cards on the bay at lower prices. I am glad I got a few of them because they have different color backs which are replicated in the larger cards.  I am happy withe larger size so you can really see the art detail...and a few of the to illustrate the primary release.

Andrew

I bet we will eventually see most of these fall to around the $7 to $9 mark. I picked up several early on for less than $10 apiece  but people are really scalping the two Chicago and the RedSox titles. Asking as much as $45.

Offline simone arena

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 07:20:29 AM »
Hi
I still all return cards Wacky packages MLB  if anyone is interested

thanks!

simone

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 04:19:54 PM »
Anyone... anyone...?

I'll even take a set of 5x7 if there's a spare out there.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2020, 12:33:55 PM »
I bought the 5x7 postcard-sized set just to have them but I've been chasing the regular sized cards for 3 years - and only just managed to get my third card! I now have WP-1 through WP-3 in the traditional size, anyone have any of these?

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2020, 01:53:51 PM »
I'm also looking for WP 5 - 8.  They're tough!

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2020, 08:22:01 PM »
I've been chasing the regular sized cards for 3 years - and only just managed to get my third card!

Wow! Where did you find the latest card? Although I really want these smaller sized cards, I gave up.
Brian Mc

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2020, 09:09:51 PM »
I've gotten them all from eBay.

Offline rebelx0024

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2022, 02:31:12 PM »
Hey all,

So I just found out the other day that some of these are still floating around.  I'm looking for a set of the 5x7s (regular, non-gold paintings, please).  Anybody have a spare they'd be willing to sell?  Please let me know.  Thanks!

anything