Author Topic: Wacky Package Sleuthing & Forensics  (Read 24241 times)

Offline Bigmuc13

Re: Wacky Package Sleuthing & Forensics
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2017, 05:28:07 PM »
Bill, I mentioned this one earlier in this thread (but I think it bears repeating, lol).

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=4923.msg87054#msg87054

Just trying to steal your thunder!!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2017, 06:30:52 PM »
While attending the spring Allentown show, I was lucky enough to be able to hold the original "Coca-Cobra" painting by Smokin' Joe in my very hands.  To a Wacky aficionado, this was akin to an art connoisseur holding, say, the "Mona Lisa."  (Thank you, Joe!)

At any rate, for the very first time, I noticed the second snake formed from the "tail" of the second capital "C."  Don't know if anyone else has picked up on this before, but figured I'd pass it along.

(Also, probably the wrong thread for this, but notice how wonderfully the bottle is backlit.)

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »
To go along with BB's post - the published version in ANS3 was also the second rendition of the piece by Smokin' Joe.
Topps sold it off years ago, but it would have been cool to see them side by side.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2017, 07:22:30 PM »
The top & bottom look kinda similar...   :-[

Offline Swiski

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2017, 08:48:29 AM »
The top & bottom look kinda similar...   :-[

Never seen that Coma promo! Where is that from?

Offline Soremel

« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2017, 09:18:48 AM »
Never seen that Coma promo! Where is that from?

I saw the Lost Wackys Series 3 promo on Matt Stock's eBay listing page along with other items from the same series.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »
All points bulletin!
All points bulletin!

An unknown "pink panties" artist has recently invaded WackyLand and defaced an iconic piece of history!  This culprit must be apprehended immediately, thrown into a pit of hot coals, and have his paintbrushes snapped in two!

Sadly, "Ovary Show" ain't showing anything anymore...

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2017, 05:31:19 PM »
An unknown "pink panties" artist has recently invaded WackyLand and defaced an iconic piece of history! 
also available in blue and green.
but which of the three, if any, is the hard to find version?

http://www.wackypacks.com/unpublished/LW3.html

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2017, 06:50:30 PM »
also available in blue and green.
but which of the three, if any, is the hard to find version?

http://www.wackypacks.com/unpublished/LW3.html

Man, you're good, Patrick!  I don't know how you find this stuff sometimes.  Thanks!

Offline Soremel

« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2017, 08:14:17 PM »
I am almost positive that this has been discussed in the past, but I missed class that day! So, if this is old info and observations, please discard this message!

This is a partial die-cut sheet that I acquired back in '86. What I basically want to know, is what part of the die-cut timeline would this sheet fall into? I'm assuming that it would have been toward the end of the run. I have included a few images for reference and listed some of my observations below. Any input, insight and discussion is welcome!

1) Not sure why, but Topps used large and small print for the "Wet Back..." instructions on the card backs. Back in the day (mid-80's) I assumed that one print run had a uniform small font size, and a subsequent printing had the larger font. But, it looks as if that wasn't the case...

2) This configuration contains 11 alternates (Maddie Boy x3)

3) Three "pulled" titles still remain (Boredom's, Alcohol Seltzer & Cracked Jerk)

4) When the alternate titles (yellow) and pulled titles (blue) are removed, the 30 titles used for the '73 1st Series remain.

5) If someone was collecting Wacky die-cuts when this configuration was printed, a complete set of cards containing #'s 1-44  would only have 33 unique titles and 11 repeats.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2017, 06:10:36 AM »
 it is my understanding that your sheet is the last version of die cut sheets before they made the transformation to the series 1 sticker format I have the uncut strips that represent that transition.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2017, 06:43:50 AM »
it is my understanding that your sheet is the last version of die cut sheets before they made the transformation to the series 1 sticker format I have the uncut strips that represent that transition.

Only this is actually the final normal die cut sheet which has normal die cut backs and still has the three non-replaced non-repeats (Boredoms, Alcohol Seltzer, Cracked Jerk). As opposed to the "die cut test sheet" that Cheryl had.

Offline 6_Fooey_Ounces

« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2017, 07:33:32 AM »
This is a partial die-cut sheet that I acquired back in '86.

OMG......That sheet looks so good it brings tears to my eyes!!!   :'( :'(

Offline bandaches

« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2017, 07:36:03 AM »
Only this is actually the final normal die cut sheet which has normal die cut backs and still has the three non-replaced non-repeats (Boredoms, Alcohol Seltzer, Cracked Jerk). As opposed to the "die cut test sheet" that Cheryl had.
'
Is there a scan of her sheet somewhere?  I assume it is a diecut version that matches my sticker strips?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2017, 09:22:43 AM »
'
Is there a scan of her sheet somewhere?  I assume it is a diecut version that matches my sticker strips?

Yes, and the backs are gray and unnumbered.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2017, 11:17:21 AM »

Not sure why, but Topps used large and small print for the "Wet Back..." instructions on the card backs. Back in the day (mid-80's) I assumed that one print run had a uniform small font size, and a subsequent printing had the larger font. But, it looks as if that wasn't the case...

Hard to believe that was an error. Maybe there was a specific reason for this.

Is there a pattern to the position / distribution of the two font sizes on the sheet?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2017, 12:25:27 PM »
Yes, and the backs are gray and unnumbered.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
'
So you need to update your "copyrighted" series 1 sheet evolution writeup with greg  8)

Offline Soremel

« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2017, 02:03:52 PM »
Hard to believe that was an error. Maybe there was a specific reason for this.

Is there a pattern to the position / distribution of the two font sizes on the sheet?

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why there are some titles with the bold text while others have the smaller text.

Here's an image of the back of the sheet showing the placement of the title numbers with the bold font instructions. I've also included a list that matches these numbers to their respective titles.

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2017, 02:14:27 PM »
There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why there are some titles with the bold text while others have the smaller text.

Here's an image of the back of the sheet showing the placement of the title numbers with the bold font instructions. I've also included a list that matches these numbers to their respective titles.
IIRC, the bold/standard font remained the same throughout all the sheets from full 44 titles onward

Offline Soremel

« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2017, 02:20:38 PM »
IIRC, the bold/standard font remained the same throughout all the sheets from full 44 titles onward

I was thinking the same, because I didn't think that I'd ever seen any titles that had both bold and standard font variations. It's definitely one of those nagging mysteries as to why it was done that way.

Online mikecho

« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2018, 08:47:58 PM »
If you guys and gals want to see a topic that's somewhat similar to this, check out the one that I started called "OS and Topps-related characters in ANS Wackys".