Author Topic: Wacky Package Sleuthing & Forensics  (Read 24236 times)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: Wacky Package Sleuthing & Forensics
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2017, 11:41:51 AM »
I think we all prefer you remain an artist, anyway...  :)

Actually, if I had it all to do again, I would have been a history teacher...or a paleontologist...or maybe a coffee grower...like Juan Valdez, but without the mustache...

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2017, 11:43:35 AM »
anything but a spelling bee judge

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2017, 04:31:12 PM »
Here is one that most of you already know of, the Bent sticker with the bottom of the pack extending illogically down to the broken cigarette.  It should be a straight line at the bottom of the pack.

Still looking for Series 17

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2017, 05:47:20 PM »
Here is one that most of you already know of, the Bent sticker with the bottom of the pack extending illogically down to the broken cigarette.  It should be a straight line at the bottom of the pack.

There's absolutely no way I would have picked up on this.  And you are absolutely right!  Thanks for sharing!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2017, 06:01:37 PM »

My guess is that it was originally painted correctly with a small black gap between the pack and the cigarette, but somebody didn't like the way it looked and had it altered.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2017, 05:28:39 AM »
My guess is that it was originally painted correctly with a small black gap between the pack and the cigarette, but somebody didn't like the way it looked and had it altered.

They also removed the joke that was between those two gold curly lines above.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2017, 09:27:01 AM »
Here's a little known anomaly (at least to me!)...

Unless it has been documented on any of the sites, or in any of the forums, I think this may be a new one... or just so trivial that nobody cares!  ;D

I recently purchased a group of nine 3rd Series "Sledge" stickers from the forum's own Big Muc (Bill)... in that group, there was an original copyright line without any asterisks (upper-left in the attached pic) The non-asterisk copyrights were usually only on the Wonder Bread releases, and they were the long copyright lines.

At some point during the week, I'm going to locate all of my 3rd series dupes and see if there are more of these out there.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2017, 09:31:46 AM »

Another oddity about the "Bent" art is that the "warning" on the side of the pack looks like it may have been altered as not to be read. Most of the undecipherable warnings on some of the cigarette spoofs were at least clearly drawn lines that simulated some sort of text... this one looks like it was modified after the fact.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 06:05:22 PM by Soremel »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2017, 09:32:16 AM »

Unless it has been documented on any of the sites, or in any of the forums, I think this may be a new one... or just so trivial that nobody cares!  ;D

I recently purchased a group of nine 3rd Series "Sledge" stickers from the forum's own Big Muc (Bill)... in that group, there was an original copyright line without any asterisks (upper-left in the attached pic) The non-asterisk copyrights were usually only on the Wonder Bread releases, and they were the long copyright lines.

At some point during the week, I'm going to locate all of my 3rd series dupes and see if there are more of these out there.
that would be half of a Hostess Double, I would guess?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2017, 09:34:41 AM »

Cut hostess pair?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2017, 09:35:42 AM »
Beat me to it again :)

Offline Soremel

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2017, 09:39:36 AM »
that would be half of a Hostess Double, I would guess?

(Image removed from quote.)

SWEEEEEET! Yep, it all checks out! Thank you, Fanatical and Paul Maul!

Offline Soremel

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2017, 10:11:38 AM »
Every now and then, an eBay seller will list a group of Wacky Packages with writing on the backs of the stickers. Most of the time they are marked with the name of the owner, or the number of the series that the stickers were part of. A while back, I saved this image because of the dates that the owner had written on the sticker backs. I believe that somewhere around this date was when the Wacky Packages 1st Series was released (can't remember the actual release date off the top of my head!) I just thought it was a cool snapshot of Wacky Package history... kind of a "ground zero" moment.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »
Ghoul Humor is one of my favorite 16th Series titles. When I acquired my first set of 16ths back in '85, I couldn't help but notice that the shovel has a patch of shading (and/or reflection) that didn't seem to make sense. It always looked like the shovel was painted in OVER the blue logo background. The patch of "shadow" follows the bottom edge of the logo area instead of having a shadow that conforms to the curve of the shovel. I could be WAY off, and need to cut back on my caffeine intake, but that always stuck out as being odd. The shovel almost looks translucent allowing some of the background show through.

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2017, 05:10:54 PM »
Another oddity about the "Bent" art is that the "warning" on the side of the pack looks like it may have been altered as not to be read. Most of the undecipherable warnings on some of the cigarette spoofs were at least clearly draw lines that simulated some sort of text... this one looks like it was modified after the fact.
yep, a couple of mods to that Bent.

these reminded me of the proof cards that I have from toppsvault auctions from years ago. I think they auctioned the entire 2nd and 4th series original proof sheets worth of individual cards. The final Black is not printed on them, so no copyrights, or borders, which shows the blue die cut line for 2nd series and blue border for the 4th series.
I picked up several of these, including the Quake n Ache, Bent, and the 4th series copy of Pepto-Dismal - which is probably another little known fact at this point that it was an alternate title in the 4th series.
A copy of Winsome was also auctioned, but fetched a price far higher than I was willing to bid.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »
SWEEEEEET! Yep, it all checks out! Thank you, Fanatical and Paul Maul!

This is exactly how I completed my "cut doubles collection".  It amazes me how cleanly cut some of these are, almost as if they somehow made it into packs professional cut by Topps.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Soremel

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2017, 06:20:40 PM »

these reminded me of the proof cards that I have from toppsvault auctions from years ago. I think they auctioned the entire 2nd and 4th series original proof sheets worth of individual cards. The final Black is not printed on them, so no copyrights, or borders, which shows the blue die cut line for 2nd series and blue border for the 4th series.
I picked up several of these, including the Quake n Ache, Bent, and the 4th series copy of Pepto-Dismal - which is probably another little known fact at this point that it was an alternate title in the 4th series.
A copy of Winsome was also auctioned, but fetched a price far higher than I was willing to bid.

This is so cool! I had seen the original image of Quake 'n' Ache before, but NEVER saw the Bent original! And, I never even knew about the Pepto-Dismal revision! Thank you for posting these!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2017, 07:26:04 PM »
The shovel almost looks translucent allowing some of the background show through.

Yes, it most certainly does at that.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2017, 07:32:59 PM »

I also agree with Soremel.  Most definitely cool!

If you are ever in a Duane Dimock position and able to produce a small set of these as free giveaways, you would definitely have my gratitude in more ways than one.  These are very nice - a sharp addition to any collection.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2017, 07:56:19 PM »
I was looking at "Jelly Bully" from ANS6 the other day, and noticed what appears to be an off white "discoloration" around "20 victims," "The totally mean jelly bean," and the "Jelly Bully" logo itself in the upper left.  Does anyone know if the original was altered in anyway (as in the cases of "Quake 'n Ache," "Bent," and "Pepto-Dismal?")

I know way back, sometimes transfer letters were individually applied - which might alter the background color, perhaps?  However, ANS6 was issued in 2007, and I doubt transfer letters were still being used at that point in time.  Also, the "Jelly Bully" jelly bean logo has the same odd patch of white surrounding it, and I doubt there was ever a transfer made of that.  Perhaps something was cut and pasted?  I really don't know and am simply grasping at straws.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  It almost looks as if white out was used.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 08:11:05 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline drono

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2017, 03:15:03 PM »

Oh well, you win some and you lose some.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2017, 03:57:45 PM »
Oh well, you win some and you lose some.
I see watcha did there.  :P

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2017, 07:18:50 PM »

I will have to check my Rice a Phoni's!

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2017, 07:20:28 PM »
They also removed the joke that was between those two gold curly lines above.
Yes.  It said under Bent -- "on destroying your lungs".  I guess that was a little too severe.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2017, 06:36:06 AM »
Yes.  It said under Bent -- "on destroying your lungs".  I guess that was a little too severe.

Or put another way, truth in advertising.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2017, 10:32:12 AM »
Or put another way, truth in advertising.

Yeah!         Which is quite different than plausible deniability.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2017, 07:59:25 PM »
"Tacky Packages" ANS4

The package header says "Lazy Goo," while the tube itself says "Lazy Glue."

Of the featured Wackys, I believe I am correct in identifying:

Prickles
Slam Jim
Busted Finger
Jip
Fantom
Wormy Packages
Hex Mix
Mallomartians
After Life
Geek Giant
Mr. Potato Dead
Downer
Bandaging for Mummies
Ajerx
Coal Flakes

At the moment, I can't identify the rest, but they have to be ANS4 or before.  The sticker glued to the top of the kid's ear is driving me crazy!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 03:59:02 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2017, 09:22:31 AM »
5) Series 4, Grazin Bran - Is that a 7up bottle cap in the horses bowl?!

"Meow Mess" - OS3

And here we find a "6up" bottle cap among the kitty refuse.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:50:49 PM by Baked Bears »

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2017, 04:51:46 PM »
At the moment, I can't identify the rest, but they have to be ANS4 or before.  The sticker glued to the top of the kid's ear is driving me crazy!

I think you are referring to the ANS4 #38 Banned card?

others appear to be
Misery Date
Fancy Feet
Neutrogenie
MuttRageous

I think Dave posted all of the references painted on this one back in the day, but that post is now lost on the old forum

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2017, 09:29:50 PM »
"Tacky Packages" ANS4

I believe that Hi-Sea and Snore-Caps are on the bottom on either side of the word "velcro." Those were 2 titles that Dave Gross painted for ANS3 that didn't make the set. I can't recall whether they were ever used in later series but I do remember that the ToppsVault auctioned the art.

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2017, 09:36:03 PM »
Here are my original thumbnail (which sold the gag) and first rough for Tacky Packages. You can see that Dave did the heavy lifting with all of those tiny Wackys in the final. Also, the thumbnail shows "Elder's Glue" which became a standalone title.

I believe that Hi-Sea and Snore-Caps are on the bottom on either side of the word "velcro." Those were 2 titles that Dave Gross painted for ANS3 that didn't make the set. I can't recall whether they were ever used in later series but I do remember that the ToppsVault auctioned the art.

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2017, 09:47:01 PM »
Jelly Bully was not altered. I tried a new (to me) lettering scheme in which the text was done in PhotoShop and printed and adhered to the painting. The way Topps photographed the art, lines showed up where the text was pasted. They could have fixed that in production but missed it, I guess. These days the artists scan their own art so this sort of thing would be less likely to occur.

I was looking at "Jelly Bully" from ANS6 the other day, and noticed what appears to be an off white "discoloration" around "20 victims," "The totally mean jelly bean," and the "Jelly Bully" logo itself in the upper left.  Does anyone know if the original was altered in anyway (as in the cases of "Quake 'n Ache," "Bent," and "Pepto-Dismal?")

I know way back, sometimes transfer letters were individually applied - which might alter the background color, perhaps?  However, ANS6 was issued in 2007, and I doubt transfer letters were still being used at that point in time.  Also, the "Jelly Bully" jelly bean logo has the same odd patch of white surrounding it, and I doubt there was ever a transfer made of that.  Perhaps something was cut and pasted?  I really don't know and am simply grasping at straws.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  It almost looks as if white out was used.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2017, 10:41:28 PM »
Fred, thanks for all the background info on those Wackys!  Also thanks so much for posting the thumbnail and rough, those are always a blast to see!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:02:47 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2017, 05:52:04 PM »

Another one dealing with Rudens.  Not sure if this was done on purpose, or on accident.  But the front reads "Ruden's Meany Cough Drops" and the top reads "Ruden's Meany Coarse Drops."   I know sometimes they would change things up from front to label, but it seems odd that they would change only the one word when the rest are the same.  I will see if this happens elsewhere in the original series

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2017, 08:17:35 PM »
Another one dealing with Rudens. ... But the front reads "Ruden's Meany Cough Drops" and the top reads "Ruden's Meany Coarse Drops."
Bill, I mentioned this one earlier in this thread (but I think it bears repeating, lol).

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=4923.msg87054#msg87054

anything