Author Topic: Wacky Chrome  (Read 3438 times)

Offline jleonard1967

Wacky Chrome
« on: March 19, 2017, 12:17:30 PM »
Found a dealer that had leftover hobby boxes of the chrome series. He was selling them for 40 dollars a box.  He also had cases. He was selling them for 450.00 a case. He still has a few more if anyone  is still enjoying chrome

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: Wacky Chrome
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 11:50:57 AM »
Topps seems to be going gung-ho with Chrome releases right now in MLB, GPK, and Star Wars. Will there be any Chrome Wacky love?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline quas

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 12:01:45 PM »
Topps seems to be going gung-ho with Chrome releases right now in MLB, GPK, and Star Wars. Will there be any Chrome Wacky love?

Would love to see a Bum Chex superfractor.
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 12:42:21 PM »
Would love to see a Bum Chex superfractor.

I'd go for it, but not like last time!!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 12:58:37 PM »
I've been framing my extra Wacky Chrome singles in those little picture frames sold at Dollar Tree.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 01:01:19 PM »
I'd sure like to see a Wacky Packages Chrome Series 2. This time, Topps could do Series 4, 5 and 6, but probably not have to do any subsets, since they've all been done before. However, refractor variations could work here as well.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 02:12:32 PM »
I'd sure like to see a Wacky Packages Chrome Series 2. This time, Topps could do Series 4, 5 and 6, but probably not have to do any subsets, since they've all been done before. However, refractor variations could work here as well.
Seems no one really knows why they did the one release then left it dead in the water.  It’s like another Abrams book scenario - like an unfinished painting.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 02:51:53 PM »
Seems no one really knows why they did the one release then left it dead in the water.  It’s like another Abrams book scenario - like an unfinished painting.

I own 1 Superfractor : Beanball and the full Mixed-Up Character // Altered-Art 9 Card set.  I had a blast with Chrome.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 05:14:40 PM »
I think it was because the chrome process got too expensive at that time. That and maybe poor sales. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 04:04:06 AM »
It would be great if one of the artists who worked on chrome could comment here on the odds of a chrome 2 set.....:)

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 10:32:15 AM »
It would be great if one of the artists who worked on chrome could comment here on the odds of a chrome 2 set.....:)
My dream set at this point would be a Flashback 3, with an emphasis on unrepeated titles from each OS 1-16.  No lost Wackys, no poster alternative art, just 4 or 5 titles from each series.  Imagine a generous supply of regular sticker format Skimpy, Jail-O, All-Brain, Snatch-A-Pak, just to name a few from the first few series.  I’ve probably mentioned this before.

Online bigtomi

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 11:22:57 AM »
Why would there need to have been any artist work done on Chrome? Wasn't all the art work already done back in the 60s/70s? Am I missing something?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 12:14:14 PM »
Why would there need to have been any artist work done on Chrome? Wasn't all the art work already done back in the 60s/70s? Am I missing something?
There was some new stuff in the subsets, whether newly created or lost & found I’ve never been completely clear on.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 02:54:03 AM »

I would think an artist would have been involved to assist with some of the subsets like where are they now.

Andrew

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2022, 04:19:20 AM »
My dream set at this point would be a Flashback 3, with an emphasis on unrepeated titles from each OS 1-16.  No lost Wackys, no poster alternative art, just 4 or 5 titles from each series.  Imagine a generous supply of regular sticker format Skimpy, Jail-O, All-Brain, Snatch-A-Pak, just to name a few from the first few series.  I’ve probably mentioned this before.

But the stickers would have to be kiss-cut!  I'd pay extra for that!! 

Offline mikecho

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2022, 05:43:16 AM »
There was some new stuff in the subsets, whether newly created or lost & found I’ve never been completely clear on.
There were two subsets of Chrome with kinda-sorta new stuff, Where Are They Now? and Cutting Room Floor.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 08:07:42 PM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2022, 06:07:25 AM »
But the stickers would have to be kiss-cut!  I'd pay extra for that!!
Yes, absolutely.  I’m assuming a marketing similar to the prior flashback and ANS sets, where base stickers are in reasonably priced packs and dupes are easily accumulated, thus expendable/stickable.  Not to mention more homemade magnet fun!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2023, 06:08:47 PM »

I also think this would be ideal (with the kiss-cut stickers).  But I'd also be happy with Chrome 2.  Both seem like they would be relatively easy for Topps to make, though I certainly am purely speculating on that and saying only in comparison to creating a whole new set (which would also be great).  And seeing them at retail would be icing on the cake.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2023, 08:16:08 PM »
I agree. Some Wackys like, say, Super Cigar Crisp are due for a revival by now. Maybe, just maybe, mind you, they could put in it the last two pulled Die-Cuts that need to be released as peel-and-stick stickers, namely Cracked Animals and Fearstone Tires  (and yes, I know the second one of these two was released twice in the two Album series, but those two Wackys were album-sized stickers, not regular-sized ones).

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2023, 03:10:14 AM »
Hoping for Wacky Chrome 2 within the next two years.......   I will go ALL IN.