Author Topic: Philly Show Roll Call  (Read 24986 times)

Offline quas

Re: Philly Show Roll Call
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2017, 08:17:03 AM »
It was a great time! Thanks everyone. And I didn't get lost, Smokin Joe got lost Jon Gregory aka Not Neil Camera and I were following him. Ha!!!

At the dinner, Jeff Zapata gave a great tribute to Jay Lynch and then others chimed in afterwards with their remembrances of Jay.  It was very memorable.
Marc

Offline Swiski

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2017, 08:55:48 AM »
Can someone here please post nice scans of just the Wacky Packages Philly Show cards, or even the actual card original artwork?

Offline Beanball

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2017, 09:47:11 AM »
Can someone here please post nice scans of just the Wacky Packages Philly Show cards, or even the actual card original artwork?
:great:

Offline Beanball

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »
Some Of My Stuff From The Show

I picked up a few things. Will post more pictures of dinner later.

Online Joe G.

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2017, 09:55:17 AM »

Great cards and so cool that they're all collector themed.  Also a first official Wacky by our own Chad Scheres!  Too awesome!

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2017, 10:33:10 AM »
Thanks Joe. I'm putting together a Philly package for you and will ship tomorrow. Trying to get caught up today after that Wacky Weekend!!!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2017, 10:58:23 AM »
And I didn't get lost, Smokin Joe got lost Jon Gregory aka Not Neil Camera and I were following him. Ha!!!

Excuses!  Excuses!

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2017, 11:06:42 AM »
Yes, let me add my well-deserved kudos to our own Chad Scheres for his first
official Wacky.  If you ever get a chance to meet him at a show, look for the tallest
guy there, and also one of the nicest!   And if his Dad is with him, and you like talking
Texas Hold'Em, you'll be at the right table!  :great:

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2017, 11:12:34 AM »
Yes, let me add my well-deserved kudos to our own Chad Scheres for his first
official Wacky.  If you ever get a chance to meet him at a show, look for the tallest
guy there, and also one of the nicest!   And if his Dad is with him, and you like talking
Texas Hold'Em, you'll be at the right table!  :great:
Thanks! Dad didn't make the philly show. I hear rumors there may be another show in Vegas in February so he may make another appearance.

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »
I wanted to give a (((( HUGE )))) thanks to Dave for his expertise on this sweet, sealed Batman Pack I picked up !

eBay ID: vintage-trading-cards

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »
Happy to assist! And Marty Krim who you purchased it from is one of the nicest and most trustworthy  guys in the non-sport hobby!

Offline Soremel

« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2017, 02:18:42 PM »
Happy to assist! And Marty Krim who you purchased it from is one of the nicest and most trustworthy  guys in the non-sport hobby!

Yep, Marty is GREAT! I used to buy from him, and his wife Deb, at an annual non-sport card show in Nashua, New Hampshire back in the mid-eighties. He's enthusiastic and extremely fair! btw... impressive wax pack!

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2017, 03:04:21 PM »
Marty was just a cool cat to talk to and one of the top highlights I took away from the show. i'm hoping he can assist me further in my vintage pack collection quest in the future. The journey from Vegas was half the fun but, the people I met was priceless !!!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2017, 03:09:40 PM »
Marty is the guy I got this puppy from!

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2017, 03:17:08 PM »
Wow... sweet score Dave ! I came to the conclusion that it's very tough not to get bogged down at one table perhaps missing out on other things but, being this was my first show I learned a lot on how to roll on the next one  8)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2017, 05:51:21 PM »
I wanted to give a (((( HUGE )))) thanks to Dave for his expertise on this sweet, sealed Batman Pack I picked up !

That is fantastic!  Congrats on a really nice pick up!!

Offline Soremel

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2017, 05:57:15 PM »
Dave,

I didn't know that you got the 5c pack from Marty! He's the one that I bought this box from! (small world!)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2017, 07:19:11 PM »
Dave,

I didn't know that you got the 5c pack from Marty! He's the one that I bought this box from! (small world!)

Sweet! You don't have any extra 10-cent ads packs, do you? That's one of the few packs I still need!

Offline Soremel

« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2017, 07:32:46 PM »
Sweet! You don't have any extra 10-cent ads packs, do you? That's one of the few packs I still need!

I wish I had an extra one! Better yet, I wish I had a 5c pack as it is one of the ones I still need!

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2017, 08:51:44 PM »

Well here it is 2 days after all the fun, emotions, etc. of my weekend at the show and to start things off, I want to start with a popular phrase that was used in the film Field of Dreams which I'm sure many of you know: "If you build it, people will come". Where I'm going with this is I placed some empty Wacky display boxes and many stacks of some of the newer Wacky singles on the table across from the table where you pay your Day 1 admission and wow did the people come up to that table and go to town on those boxes and cards, I obviously don't know who picked up a box(es) and the cards, But I'm sure they were all gone in less than an hr. As for the show itself, Like many shows I've attended in the past, I always attempt to try and recall the collectors who showed up for that particular show, Well this time, I'm not going to attempt it as I'm sure I'll miss some people. So I'll just say a big Thank you to all I hung out with at the show and then the dinner also. And speaking of the dinner, What a great meal!!!!! Chicken, Pasta, Dessert, and Beverages were definitely worth the price. During and after the meal there were lots of great conversations at each table with collectors who were meeting others for the very 1st time and ones that haven't seen one another in couple or so yrs. Prizes were handed out and I'm so glad that both Cheryl (Hipton) and I were able to acquire the memorial poster of Jay Lynch. She got hers through having our table no. drawn and I got mine directly from Matt Stock, As many of you that were at the dinner noticed that Mrs. Shoe and I got very emotional. WE didn't want any part of the weekend to end, But unfortunately all good things have to come to an end at some point. As far as things picked up at the show, I got some sealed ans boxes (Which I'm still in need of 2 certain ser. if any one can help) a few original singles for a forum member that couldn't be there, and 4 of Roxanne's sets. So I'll close here and just say that I'm already anticipating the fall show which BTW is Oct 21st/22nd

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2017, 02:23:17 AM »
I wish I had an extra one! Better yet, I wish I had a 5c pack as it is one of the ones I still need!

I think Marty has one more 5-center left if you want to smash the ol' piggy bank. I got a better deal because I got mine when he had five of them.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2017, 06:27:18 AM »
I think Marty has one more 5-center left if you want to smash the ol' piggy bank. I got a better deal because I got mine when he had five of them.

I'm heading up to his place next month, so I'll definitely have some inquiries!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2017, 12:18:12 PM »
May I ask who Marty is?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2017, 01:13:09 PM »
May I ask who Marty is?

His name is Marty Krim. He is a long time non-sport collector and dealer. Not involved in the wacky hobby, more of a non-sport generalist.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:14:55 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
Dave,

That is one of the few display boxes I need, very nice!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2017, 05:56:39 PM »
it's already been 4 quick days since the show...

after 12 years since my last attendance, I finally headed to Allentown to check out a Philly Show again.
way too long in between shows, and something I need to work on

I didn't really expect to find too much in the way of cards, but I did complete my cereal billboard set for the 50th, picked up a couple nice sketches and a wacky shirt at Matt & Greg's table.
The big surprise was finding the very last X-fractor I needed to complete that Chrome set at Marc Simon's table. I figured this set would remain incomplete until the end of time, but there it was, a Jolly Mean X-fractor just waiting to be grabbed!

The real highlights though were in meeting all the artists and the forum members that were there.
From Smokin' Joe with his Wacky paintings and his personal sets, both the old 'wacky' ones and the new Creepy Containers, to George Wright and his Galactic Grocery cards and his Lost Wackys he had on view, to Fred Wheaton and his portfolio of Wacky and GPK art (that Hello Kidney piece is a thing of beauty to behold!), to Joe Simko, Jeff Zapata, Chad Scheres and Layton DeJarnette. Just fantastic to see all the original art and talk with the people who create these masterpieces!
And seeing more forum members than I can remember, old and new, Dave, Tom, Cheryl, Joe, Mark, Greg, John, Kevin, Rob, Dennis, Richard, Andrew, Marc - the latter group who are all part of the Buyer's Club as well, and awesome to finally meet in person.

Plus a huge and special shout out of thanks to my Wacky Uber drivers: Rob Hall and Joe Leonard, who got me back and forth from the hotel and show on Saturday and Sunday. And especially Joe, who went above and beyond on Sunday to make sure I checked out of the Garden Inn on time - after I stupidly forgot to before heading to the show that morning.

The other highlights of course were the great dinner and tribute to Jay on Saturday, the post-dinner hang-out at the Red Robin and the Sunday morning card talk session.

Great time all around and looking forward to doing it again some time!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:59:15 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Beanball

« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2017, 06:16:06 PM »
Great time all around and looking forward to doing it again some time!
[/quote]
It's was a an awesome show and dinner as well. It was also great to meet some people who I only see here on the forum.
Not very good at descriptions such as yours and others.
More pictures.....

The awesome Jay Lynch Old School 1 sketch poster!

George Wright aka Soremel

Huster07, Kirk aka Cherrybombs, Kevin
and Smoking Joe in the front

Mark Simon aka quas and John Brewer artist

Kevin aka Beanball and Patrick aka Fanatical and Sickly
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 07:19:51 PM by Beanball »

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2017, 06:31:03 PM »
Man I love seeing all these pictures everyone is posting! I wish there were names also so I would know who everyone is.

Just once in my life I'm going to get to one of these!! Someday.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2017, 02:53:44 AM »

Just once in my life I'm going to get to one of these!! Someday.

You and me both, brother!

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2017, 08:17:09 AM »

Wow, that's a name form the past.  I traded with Marty many years ago.  From what I remember he is a little reclusive, but he has a lot of rare unopened packs.  I got some series 16 unopened packs from him and I think a series 2 as well.  It was a long time ago, my memory is a bit fuzzy there.
Still looking for Series 17

anything