Author Topic: Philly Show Roll Call  (Read 24983 times)

Offline Beanball

Re: Philly Show Roll Call
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2017, 12:05:43 PM »
I would like to start a list of who will be attending the upcoming show.  I will be attending the show
I will be there both days. If anyone has any of Neils extra Halloween fun pack cards from 2015 or Ans with Flashback farout borders (2014-2015) , please bring them. Not attending the dinner and would like to dine I think those not attending the dinner. We could call it it the non official 50th anniversary dinner. Please post comments.
Looking foward to being there. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:08:37 PM by Beanball »

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2017, 01:30:09 PM »
I will be attending the show on Saturday.

Hoping to attend the show on Saturday with the Mrs.

Offline Jason Brower

• jasonbrowerart.com
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 07:31:24 AM »
I won't be there in the artist's area because I was there in the Fall but I will be there on Sunday strolling around and enjoying the show on the other side of the artist's table for once. Looking forward to it, too!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2017, 09:10:33 AM »
I will be there both days. If anyone has any of Neils extra Halloween fun pack cards from 2015 or Ans with Flashback farout borders (2014-2015) , please bring them. Not attending the dinner and would like to dine I think those not attending the dinner. We could call it it the non official 50th anniversary dinner. Please post comments.
Looking foward to being there.

Which ones are you talking about here? FB1 & FB2 Cards? or something else...

Ans with Flashback farout borders (2014-2015)?

Offline Beanball

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 10:38:11 AM »
Which ones are you talking about here? FB1 & FB2 Cards? or something else...

Ans with Flashback farout borders (2014-2015)?
The Ans 2014 and 2015. They came one per pack. I don't suppose many people collect these.

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 01:26:41 PM »
I'll be there with lots of stickers, sketch cards and these exclusives.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
Looking forward to seeing or meeting you all.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2017, 08:40:00 PM »
Is there any benefit to being there at 10am as opposed to 11 or 12?
Brian Mc

Offline quas

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2017, 08:41:54 PM »
Is there any benefit to being there at 10am as opposed to 11 or 12?

Yes.  If there's something a dealer has that you, arriving at 11, and someone else, arriving at 10, both want, the early bird gets the worm.
Marc

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2017, 06:00:05 AM »
Sorry for the last-minute news folks, but due to a weather-related flight cancellation, I won't be able to get to the Allentown show this weekend. I can't express how disappointed I am! I'd been planning this for almost a year and  was really looking forward to finally getting to meet everyone! In any event, I'm sure it will be a great time for all and I hope you'll take lots of pictures. I want to see what I missed!

Next time I'm taking the train!

Neil

PS - As for the Pranky Products promo cards (and other goodies) I was planning to hand out, I've got a new plan and I'll post in a separate thread later this weekend.

Offline drono

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2017, 06:34:28 AM »
Sorry for the last-minute news folks, but due to a weather-related flight cancellation, I won't be able to get to the Allentown show this weekend. I can't express how disappointed I am! I'd been planning this for almost a year and  was really looking forward to finally getting to meet everyone! In any event, I'm sure it will be a great time for all and I hope you'll take lots of pictures. I want to see what I missed!

Neil

Well, I'm just packing up my car and driving back to VA.  JK -- Sorry that you can't be there Neil.  I was looking forward to meeting you!

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2017, 07:08:49 AM »

Neil

PS - As for the Pranky Products promo cards (and other goodies) I was planning to hand out, I've got a new plan and I'll post in a separate thread later this weekend.

I'm standing in line right now. Guess I'll turn around and drive back to Cincy  :P

The Reds lost in extra innings and now this. My weekend is off to a bad start. LOL
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 07:13:22 AM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2017, 08:38:15 AM »
Glad to see you all haven't lost your sense of humor!

Offline drono

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »
I'm standing in line right now. Guess I'll turn around and drive back to Cincy  :P

The Reds lost in extra innings and now this. My weekend is off to a bad start. LOL

You must've been the guy wearing the Reds shirt?

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2017, 03:02:27 PM »
You must've been the guy wearing the Reds shirt?
That was me!
Brian Mc

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2017, 06:50:30 PM »
due to a weather-related flight cancellation, I won't be able to get to the Allentown show this weekend.
I was incredibly bummed when I found this out. I kept looking around for you and finally found the table you'd have been at, with a hand-written sign on it explaining your absence. I dropped to my knees and wailed to the heavens. They had to inject me with medication to calm me down.

lol, not really. I just shrugged and moved on.    :P

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2017, 07:45:35 PM »

Neil

Yeah, crazy things tend to happen when traveling.  Take, for instance, Chad Scheres.  He manages to cross the country from Washington to Pennsylvania - what, 2000 - 3000 miles? - and then gets lost in Allentown!  (But, hey, I got lost a couple of times, too.)

You were there today in spirit today, though.  Everyone could vouch for that.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 08:22:45 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2017, 06:05:29 AM »
I was incredibly bummed when I found this out. I kept looking around for you and finally found the table you'd have been at, with a hand-written sign on it explaining your absence. I dropped to my knees and wailed to the heavens. They had to inject me with medication to calm me down.

lol, not really. I just shrugged and moved on.    :P

Good to hear you survived the ordeal Tom!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2017, 07:08:57 AM »
In case anyone wants to know my scores:

Paid 2 dollars for middle-left 16th puzzle piece
Old Grand Mom, Sucker Twin, and Ram A Liar
Muller and Cracker Jerk die cuts
30 dollar Wacky Patches box that came with 4 patches
Stacks of OS cards
10th series pack "Wacky Pack Wall Poster" (Blue quacker), 14th series pack "Wacky Packages Poster" courtesy of Matt Stock
13th series pack "Wacky Pack Wall Poster" courtesy of Paul Maul (Thanks!!!)
One of the clear unopened packs with Ale, an 8th checklist, and gum.
All unopened reissue packs
5 WP shirts

and i got to meet some of you... (Paul Maul, Greg Grant, Matt Stock, Pupsi
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:59:05 PM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2017, 07:44:40 AM »
In case anyone wants to know my scores:

Paid 2 dollars for middle-left 16th puzzle piece
Old Grand Mom, Sucker Twin, and Ram A Liar
Muller and Cracker Jerk die cuts
30 dollar Wacky Patches box that came with 4 patches
Stacks of OS cards
10th series pack "Wacky Pack Wall Poster" (Blue quacker), 14th series pack "Wacky Packages Poster" courtesy of Matt Stock
13th series pack "Wacky Pack Wall Poster" courtesy of Paul Maul (Thanks!!!)
One of the clear unopened packs with Ale, an 8th checklist, and gum.
All unopened reissue packs
5 WP shirts

and i got to meet some of you...

Good work!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2017, 08:08:47 AM »
How was the dinner?  I wish I could have been there.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2017, 09:25:17 AM »

Yeah,  for us who couldn't attend, are there pictures?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2017, 10:08:04 AM »
Sounds like the Philly Show promo sets are hard to get or limited! Almost $100 on eBay for a set. Oh well. Can someone please post scans of the cards?

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2017, 10:48:04 AM »

The show and dinner were both very cool!

It was a pleasure and honor to meet with and talk to so many of the forum members in person - Fanatical & Sickly, Dr. Deal, BigTomi, Pupsi-Cola, etc..  Both the WP and GPK camps were well represented.  This was the first time I've ever attended such a show, and it was marvelous to see so many people passionately united under the same banner.  For me, personally, it was also very nice to be able to connect the names to the faces, to be actually able to meet the real person(s) "behind the curtain."

It was also extremely rewarding to meet so many of the artists.  Everyone was kind, generous, friendly, conversational, and more than willing to share everything from stories and vignettes to explanations of their creative and artistic techniques.  It was so cool to have the opportunity to speak to Chad Scheres or Smokin' Joe in person, or to sit in the lobby of the Hilton chatting with George Wright.  (These things just don't happen everyday!)  I was also pleasantly surprised to discover that so many of the artists were also collectors themselves, and became WP/GPK illustrators simply because they, too, admired the same stickers that so many of us did while growing up.  (What a strange, yet wonderful, calling!)

At dinner, Jeff Zapata and others shared some of their memories of Jay Lynch.  The overall impression I got was of a madcap genius continually charged and bursting with creative electricity 24/7, an unassuming man who never quite lost that wondrous lens of perspective through which only a child views the world, a man who, throughout these many years, affected so many, many various people and brought us all together.

During dinner, the Tosers awarded many WP/GPK prizes to the guests.  At one point, Matt Stock won a JL memorial poster which he insisted upon receiving, even though he had the same posters for sale at his show table.  He then walked immediately and directly across the room and gave it to "Pupsi-Cola" (Mark) who I later observed holding the poster with what I can only describe as awe and perhaps even reverence.  I really believe the gesture made Mark's day.  Well done, Matt!

An artist also sat at each one of the tables, which for me was an unexpected surprise and bonus.  At end of the dinner, each respective artist then handed out a metal card which read (depending upon which table you were seated at,) "I had dinner at the Philly Show with Chad Scheres and got this cool metal card!  April 22, 2017."  Each guest also received a package of assorted WP/GPK cards, as well as a commemorative birthday card painted by George Wright.

A few crazy, disheveled guests did arrive to dinner a bit late (Chad Scheres and his gang, cough, cough.) It seems they became lost while traveling a few measly miles from Merchants Square Mall to the Hilton Garden, and subsequently led the Allentown police on a crazy, meandering, high speed chase through this quiet community.  By luck, they managed to spot the hotel and duck inside at the last moment, thereby eluding both the police and any charges that might have been pinned upon them.  (On a personal note, I don't know how they managed to get lost in the first place.  The hundreds upon hundreds of one way streets are all clearly marked, the major super highways only divide the city every other mile or so, the thousands of traffic lights all seemed to be in proper working order, and any major building landmarks (while not clearly identifiable by road signs) are all distinctly visible when one eventually arrives at them.)

A very memorable event with very nice people.  I'm glad to have met you all.

Postscript:  Some people were taking pictures, however I cannot really say when they might be posted.  As far as the Philly Show Promo sets go, they only allowed any one individual to buy two sets on Saturday.  That's it.  I don't know what will happen today.  I suppose it all depends upon how many sets are left before closing.  Somewhere on the forum, however, pictures of these 9 cards (3 WP, 6 GPK) have already been posted.

Addendum:  Smokin' Joe sold out of a couple of "Wacky-like" sets he has been working on, "Creepy Containers" and "Wicked Packages."  Both sets feature the high quality of artwork for which Joe is known.  "Wicked Packages," to say the least, is very "interesting."  Mind, it is not for the ages 8-10 group and is not bound by the moral propriety Topps sometimes tends to impose.  In my opinion, both sets are very unique and worth searching out.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:48:28 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2017, 11:25:56 AM »
I feel very fortunate to have been able to attend the dinner with my wife. I could not attend the show due family commitments and Pupsi was kind enough to get me one of the show sets. I sat next to Baked Bears and had a great time getting to know him and met some of the forum members who traveled to the event like Fanatical and Sickly. Sitting with the Artists Chad Scheres and John Gregory was a real honor and they could not have been more down to earth.   Jay's spirit was evident in the room throughout the evening. Stories about Jay were told,  tears were shed, laughs were had and 50 years of Wacky's and 32 years of GPK were celebrated.  The Tosers went above and beyond for this event and their attention to detail was everywhere. They had special Wacky/ GPK centerpieces on each table and at the end of the evening told us to look under our seats to determine who was the lucky person to take the centerpiece home. The Tosers gave each attendee a special metal version of the Jay Lynch Tribute Philly Show Promo card that was given out at the show.
They presented George Wright with a Large Metal version of the show exclusive card he painted for the dinner. The memories of that evening will last and the love in the room was strong.  Many thanks to the Tosers, Artists and Fans for making that special night happen in Jay's honor.

Andrew
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 04:29:01 PM by DrDeal »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2017, 11:57:44 AM »
I couldn't make it there physically, but I was certainly thinking about all of you last night.  Glad to hear it was such a success!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2017, 12:45:53 PM »
Good to hear you survived the ordeal Tom!
lol, I really was bummed you couldn't be there. Maybe in the not-too-distant future?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2017, 04:27:30 PM »
Yeah,  for us who couldn't attend, are there pictures?

Here are pics of the Dinner Exclusives: Our table got the Chad Scheres card handed to us by Chad himself.

Offline The Collector

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2017, 07:18:10 PM »
Hi. Was fortunate to sit at Table 5 next to Campy and was able to join Baked Bears talking to George Wright in the lobby of the Hilton as well as Smokin Joe at the show. Amazing Day. Here are a few pictures from the dinner.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2017, 08:08:52 PM »
Hi. Was fortunate to sit at Table 5 next to Campy and was able to join Baked Bears talking to George Wright in the lobby of the Hilton as well as Smokin Joe at the show. Amazing Day. Here are a few pictures from the dinner.

Thanks for posting the pictures, Collector.  It was nice to have met your acquaintance, and, yeah, it was cool talking to the artists, wasn't it?

I've noticed that you've added a few new posts.  Keep 'em coming, and welcome to the forum!

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2017, 01:22:23 PM »
Some Of My Stuff From The Show

eBay ID: vintage-trading-cards

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2017, 04:35:35 PM »
What about the Batman wax pack? I'd rather see that!

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2017, 08:32:53 PM »
What about the Batman wax pack? I'd rather see that!
That was a good pack

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2017, 10:38:17 PM »
Sounds like Roxanne hit it out of the park and hosted a great event!  Sorry I missed it.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2017, 08:11:30 AM »
It was a great time! Thanks everyone. And I didn't get lost, Smokin Joe got lost Jon Gregory aka Not Neil Camera and I were following him. Ha!!!

anything