Author Topic: Old School Posters  (Read 52279 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Old School Posters
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2010, 07:25:55 AM »
Paper shortage of '73?  Wow I had no idea...I only remember the oil shortage but then again I was just a kid.  So were there long lines outside of stationary stores similar to lines at the gas stations?  Could you only buy paper on designated odd and even days?  :D

That was the reason we have different backings on series 1-3.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2010, 09:08:02 AM »
That was the reason we have different backings on series 1-3.
Good job! You tied it in to Wacky Packages so we can all understand!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #177 on: May 17, 2010, 10:11:58 AM »
During the paper shortage of 1973, a number of magazines were printed on a plastic paper alternative.  This material did not dent or crumple.  It couldn't be torn, as it would stretch rather than rip...and it was only a tiny bit more expensive than paper itself.   Perhaps if future Topps posters were printed on the plastic alternative to paper, the problem of their getting bent or crumpled in the mail would be a thing of the past.   The mylar that the Old School wrappers are printed on isn't what I am talking about, though.  These can not be stretched, and will dent or crumple.  I am talking about a slightly thicker material.  I don't know if it is still made...but it was hot during the paper shortage of '73.

I would like to see a Wacky poster printed on this stuff. Sounds interesting. Or if not posters, maybe a gum alternative   :]

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #178 on: May 18, 2010, 07:43:58 PM »
That plastic material was probably made from the A.B.C. Wacky Gum that was left over from the 70's series. It won't dent, fold, or crease. Maybe stretch if you can tear a phone book in half.  :D
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

anything