Author Topic: Old School Posters  (Read 51927 times)

Offline wormypackages

Re: Old School Posters
« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2010, 06:17:22 AM »
Does anyone know why Topps doesn't have the posters on their website anymore?  

I think it has something to do with the unreliability of the Media mail for delivery as well as the damage caused by media mail.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 06:21:13 AM by wormypackages »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2010, 02:57:48 PM »
Does anyone know why Topps doesn't have the posters on their website anymore?  
    I think it's a shipping/ damage issue.  They are not sold out.

DrDeal

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2010, 03:24:37 PM »
    I think it's a shipping/ damage issue.  They are not sold out.

DrDeal
They're definitly not sold out they had a huge stack of both of them (regular set & sketch) at the show. I guess they're trying to find a safer way to ship them??? :^) ???
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »
I think it has something to do with the unreliability of the Media mail for delivery as well as the damage caused by media mail.

Maybe if you called and talked to them, and let them know that you are not one of those insanely super picky folks who want will return the poster if you see even the slightest ripple and demand it to be refunded or replaced. Then they might ?  It's worth a shot, unless you ARE looking to get one in perfect condition, which if that is the case, then good luck.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2010, 05:45:35 PM »
Maybe if you called and talked to them, and let them know that you are not one of those insanely super picky folks who want will return the poster if you see even the slightest ripple and demand it to be refunded or replaced. Then they might ?  It's worth a shot, unless you ARE looking to get one in perfect condition, which if that is the case, then good luck.

I think I'll try calling them.  I experimented with a sticker backing on the backs and then cut them up into cards and I think they look and feel great.  I might order a bunch of them and do sets, if they are still available that is.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2010, 07:19:39 PM »
I think I'll try calling them.  I experimented with a sticker backing on the backs and then cut them up into cards and I think they look and feel great.  I might order a bunch of them and do sets, if they are still available that is.
I have two extra old school posters that seem to be near perfect to perfect.  What is Topps charging for these?  That is my asking price plus shipping, first come, first served.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2010, 07:21:03 AM »
I have two extra old school posters that seem to be near perfect to perfect.  What is Topps charging for these?  That is my asking price plus shipping, first come, first served.

I think they were 14.95 in the online store when they were available, but I forget what the shipping was. Oh yeah, shipping was free for me because of my preorder. So I really do not know how much it actually cost to ship these things. I think Rob is looking for the Sketch Poster to cut up.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #147 on: May 05, 2010, 04:31:04 PM »

I believe once Topps stopped using media mail and shipped with the brown protective wrapper, the posters have been arriving in good shape.

Plus I thought it was already discussed here that Topps stopped selling the sketch posters because people on ebay were passing off cut-up posters as original sketches?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2010, 08:14:17 PM »
I think they were 14.95 in the online store when they were available, but I forget what the shipping was. Oh yeah, shipping was free for me because of my preorder. So I really do not know how much it actually cost to ship these things. I think Rob is looking for the Sketch Poster to cut up.
I have extra old school title posters, not the sketch posters.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2010, 03:59:14 AM »
I believe once Topps stopped using media mail and shipped with the brown protective wrapper, the posters have been arriving in good shape.

Plus I thought it was already discussed here that Topps stopped selling the sketch posters because people on ebay were passing off cut-up posters as original sketches?

I spoke with Topps by phone a month or so ago and tried to order sketch posters, and I was told they were not selling them online anymore because of the shipping issues.  They did tell me Topps would have posters at the Philly show, and I was able to purchase my posters there Saturday.  They were the same price as they had been online - $14.95.

I think the business about ebay problems resulting in the removal of posters from the online store was just speculation here that took off - if that had been the reason, why would Topps have been selling them at the show?

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2010, 07:19:41 AM »
I spoke with Topps by phone a month or so ago and tried to order sketch posters, and I was told they were not selling them online anymore because of the shipping issues.  They did tell me Topps would have posters at the Philly show, and I was able to purchase my posters there Saturday.  They were the same price as they had been online - $14.95.

I think the business about ebay problems resulting in the removal of posters from the online store was just speculation here that took off - if that had been the reason, why would Topps have been selling them at the show?

Exactly, especially with our knowledge of Wacky's. I picked up a few also, but thank God I brought my tube !

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2010, 07:50:06 AM »
Exactly, especially with our knowledge of Wacky's. I picked up a few also, but thank God I brought my tube !

Cut up posters wasn't the issue. It was the shipping problems they had with damaged posters. They don't sell the OLDS poster either so it has nothing to do with the color sketches. I am sure glad I got at least one poster to keep. I don't know what they are going to do with the posters they have.
I am surprised they don't offer them again because they should have the shipping process down by now.
Wouldn't that be strange if we never see these posters again and Topps shreds what they have? I can't imagine the value of the sketch posters if this were to occur. It's also odd that people aren't selling the posters on ebay since they are not available online. I would imagine they didn't sell many so that is why they aren't showing up. People don't have a lot of doubles. I ordered 2 but cut up one poster. I thought I would order a few more after cutting up the one.
Some one should list their poster on ebay and see what it will fetch.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #152 on: May 11, 2010, 06:29:39 AM »
I wonder what Topps will do with the posters? You would think this is the time to sell them and I am surprised they haven't come up with a way to ship them?

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #153 on: May 11, 2010, 10:37:12 AM »
I wonder what Topps will do with the posters? You would think this is the time to sell them and I am surprised they haven't come up with a way to ship them?

They should do it with a disclaimer: We'll do our best to package it securely & protected, but no guarantee's on it arrival condition. Just let people know up front what could happen and let them know. Also no replacements or returns. That's all, at least they'll still sell some of them as opposed to none of them.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #154 on: May 11, 2010, 05:32:20 PM »
They should do it with a disclaimer: We'll do our best to package it securely & protected, but no guarantee's on it arrival condition. Just let people know up front what could happen and let them know. Also no replacements or returns. That's all, at least they'll still sell some of them as opposed to none of them.
I will sell my two extra Old school posters(non sketch) shipped for $25.  they are both in fantastik shape.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #155 on: May 11, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »
I am surprised they don't offer them again because they should have the shipping process down by now.

Exactly. I haven't seen anyone complain about damage when shipped non-media mail and brown protective wrapper.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2010, 07:56:49 AM »
Exactly. I haven't seen anyone complain about damage when shipped non-media mail and brown protective wrapper.

If they don't start selling these now then they may just as well shred them since OLDS is almost sold out. I can't imagine they would try and sell them later this year because OLDS2 will be out. It's really strange. These posters could turn out to be pretty valuable, especially the sketch poster.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2010, 07:33:55 PM »
If they don't start selling these now then they may just as well shred them since OLDS is almost sold out. I can't imagine they would try and sell them later this year because OLDS2 will be out. It's really strange. These posters could turn out to be pretty valuable, especially the sketch poster.

That's an odd thing to say. Posters should be shredded just because series 1 sells out?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2010, 07:40:32 PM »
That's an odd thing to say. Posters should be shredded just because series 1 sells out?

Why would that be odd? They have the posters but don't sell them? Now that is odd. Rumor has it they shred wacky's that didn't sell so why not the posters they aren't selling? I would like to order a couple more sketch posters but can't.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:42:32 PM by BumChex »

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2010, 07:55:49 PM »
Why would that be odd? They have the posters but don't sell them? Now that is odd. Rumor has it they shred wacky's that didn't sell so why not the posters they aren't selling? I would like to order a couple more sketch posters but can't.
Shredding material under contract is just business. But a fan like yourself suggesting they just shove the posters into a shredder for no reason is a little out there. Why can't they sell them 6 months from now? Even 2 years from now if Old School is still hot?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2010, 08:09:21 PM »
Shredding material under contract is just business. But a fan like yourself suggesting they just shove the posters into a shredder for no reason is a little out there. Why can't they sell them 6 months from now? Even 2 years from now if Old School is still hot?

I guess I am a bit hot over them not selling the sketch poster. I am being a bit sarcastic but that doesn't show well through messages. I am suggesting if they aren't going to sell them now while OLDS are still on collectors minds that they may as well just dump them because people will move on to the next best thing. In business you sell what is hot. You can't sit on product because that is just bad for business. They could easily sell these but choose a different shipping option then media mail. I am sure they are concerned with shipping cost and their chances of selling them because of high shipping but at least try. Doesn't make much sense.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2010, 08:11:04 PM »
I guess I am a bit hot over them not selling the sketch poster. I am being a bit sarcastic but that doesn't show well through messages. I am suggesting if they aren't going to sell them now while OLDS are still on collectors minds that they may as well just dump them because people will move on to the next best thing. In business you sell what is hot. You can't sit on product because that is just bad for business. They could easily sell these but choose a different shipping option then media mail. I am sure they are concerned with shipping cost and their chances of selling them because of high shipping but at least try. Doesn't make much sense.
Why didn't you chime in on the Philly show board that you wanted sketch posters?  Somebody could have picked some up for you.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2010, 08:54:41 PM »

It was all about the returns and the damage claims. It was costing them too much time and money. I don't doubt that there were legitimate damage claims here and there but a big number were nit-picks. I saw some of the returns and what I saw if I had gotten them in the mail the thought that they were damaged or needed to be returned would have never crossed my mind. We are talking minor edge indents or the same somewhere on the poster. Basically exactly what happens to any poster when the human hand touches it. Seriously, it was thumb dents from rolling them up to be put in the tube or a slight corner ding (not even a full crease) when they are put in the tube. These are posters, not thick stock trading cards. There is a very good chance due to size and paper type of not getting a gem mint one but that's how some people were treating it. I told them to put a disclaimer on them if they want to sell them again or if they want to sell an OLDS2 poster pair. I hope they do them again but it's in some doubt right now. I'll be back on OLDS in a week and a half and will be discussing anything and everything with them at that time. Will LYK about these posters and future posters.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2010, 09:01:20 PM »
Why didn't you chime in on the Philly show board that you wanted sketch posters?  Somebody could have picked some up for you.

Things move pretty quickly around here. I had no idea they would offer them since they were removed from their site.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2010, 09:05:11 PM »

So I might not be crazy to think these posters may not see the light of day....sad.... :'(

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #165 on: May 13, 2010, 05:49:15 PM »
So I might not be crazy to think these posters may not see the light of day....sad.... :'(

I finished off a set with the sticker backs to give it bulk and weight and it came out awesome.  Very time consuming but well worth it.  It ended up being a little heavier and bulkier than tanback stock.  I have 1 poster left that I'll do the same thing to, and I would have done about 25 sets to sell to others but can't do it now.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #166 on: May 13, 2010, 06:57:23 PM »
I finished off a set with the sticker backs to give it bulk and weight and it came out awesome.  Very time consuming but well worth it.  It ended up being a little heavier and bulkier than tanback stock.  I have 1 poster left that I'll do the same thing to, and I would have done about 25 sets to sell to others but can't do it now.

What did you use for card backing and how did you glue them?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2010, 07:11:02 AM »
What did you use for card backing and how did you glue them?

I didn't have to glue them because I used sticker back 8.5" x 11" sheets which is already an adhesive.  I cut the poster up into sections, applied the sticker paper to the backs, and then cut them up into single cards.  You just peel off the sticker backing and stick them to the poster sections. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2010, 07:52:55 AM »
I didn't have to glue them because I used sticker back 8.5" x 11" sheets which is already an adhesive.  I cut the poster up into sections, applied the sticker paper to the backs, and then cut them up into single cards.  You just peel off the sticker backing and stick them to the poster sections. 

Did you have any issues with bubbling? I only have one poster left but would like to order a few more to try this out. Where did you purchase the sheets? Was it Hobby Lobby or Micheals? This is really cool!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2010, 09:41:19 AM »
It was all about the returns and the damage claims. I told them to put a disclaimer on them if they want to sell them again or if they want to sell an OLDS2 poster pair. I hope they do them again but it's in some doubt right now.

I suggested the same thing in a post here, the disclaimer to filter out the complainers just trying to get over.

I picked up a few at the show that are spoken for already. I would have picked up more but cash was king that day and I didn't expect that.

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #170 on: May 14, 2010, 02:33:33 PM »
It was all about the returns and the damage claims. It was costing them too much time and money. I don't doubt that there were legitimate damage claims here and there but a big number were nit-picks. I saw some of the returns and what I saw if I had gotten them in the mail the thought that they were damaged or needed to be returned would have never crossed my mind. We are talking minor edge indents or the same somewhere on the poster. Basically exactly what happens to any poster when the human hand touches it. Seriously, it was thumb dents from rolling them up to be put in the tube or a slight corner ding (not even a full crease) when they are put in the tube. These are posters, not thick stock trading cards. There is a very good chance due to size and paper type of not getting a gem mint one but that's how some people were treating it. I told them to put a disclaimer on them if they want to sell them again or if they want to sell an OLDS2 poster pair. I hope they do them again but it's in some doubt right now. I'll be back on OLDS in a week and a half and will be discussing anything and everything with them at that time. Will LYK about these posters and future posters.

I don't doubt it about the returns and damages.  The people that pack these posters have got to be total morons.  I'm not nitpicking, but I have literally received damaged posters from them 3 times.  I even had to send them back once at my expense to prove that they were damaged.  I told them when I phoned them how to package them to prevent damage.  They even did so on one of my orders.  However, the one undamaged package that I received contained 3 OLDS posters.  I was supposed to receive one of each of the OLDS posters and the sketch card posters.  I've called them twice since then and suggested how to ship them again.  They shipped them the same crappy way that they sent them before and both were damaged in the same place as usual.  I'm not talking just a kink here or there, but it looks like they used a freaking monkey to jam the darn thing in there.  What I suggested was that they roll the poster up fairly tight (smaller than the inside diameter of the tube)  and then use the brown paper and tape it off at that size so that it doesn’t expand in the tube when it is inserted into the poster tube.  They still haven’t been able to get me a sketch card poster in decent shape and I’m extremely frustrated with them.  I have talked to both Mike J and a gentleman named Ted that works in the warehouse about this situation.  Quite frankly, I’m getting tired of dealing with them.  Slamjim, would you have any other ideas?  Actually at this point, I think I would just prefer a refund as to the aggravation of continuing to call them.  Anyone else have any ideas?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #171 on: May 14, 2010, 03:10:34 PM »
I don't doubt it about the returns and damages.  The people that pack these posters have got to be total morons.  I'm not nitpicking, but I have literally received damaged posters from them 3 times.  I even had to send them back once at my expense to prove that they were damaged.  I told them when I phoned them how to package them to prevent damage.  They even did so on one of my orders.  However, the one undamaged package that I received contained 3 OLDS posters.  I was supposed to receive one of each of the OLDS posters and the sketch card posters.  I've called them twice since then and suggested how to ship them again.  They shipped them the same crappy way that they sent them before and both were damaged in the same place as usual.  I'm not talking just a kink here or there, but it looks like they used a freaking monkey to jam the darn thing in there.  What I suggested was that they roll the poster up fairly tight (smaller than the inside diameter of the tube)  and then use the brown paper and tape it off at that size so that it doesn’t expand in the tube when it is inserted into the poster tube.  They still haven’t been able to get me a sketch card poster in decent shape and I’m extremely frustrated with them.  I have talked to both Mike J and a gentleman named Ted that works in the warehouse about this situation.  Quite frankly, I’m getting tired of dealing with them.  Slamjim, would you have any other ideas?  Actually at this point, I think I would just prefer a refund as to the aggravation of continuing to call them.  Anyone else have any ideas?

It really is unbelievable they can't ship posters in a poster tube without damaging the posters :(
I mean, come on! This is totally crazy. Roll the posters tight and slide it in. Don't jam it in. If the roll is too big the first time, try rolling it again.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2010, 03:04:07 PM »
During the paper shortage of 1973, a number of magazines were printed on a plastic paper alternative.  This material did not dent or crumple.  It couldn't be torn, as it would stretch rather than rip...and it was only a tiny bit more expensive than paper itself.   Perhaps if future Topps posters were printed on the plastic alternative to paper, the problem of their getting bent or crumpled in the mail would be a thing of the past.   The mylar that the Old School wrappers are printed on isn't what I am talking about, though.  These can not be stretched, and will dent or crumple.  I am talking about a slightly thicker material.  I don't know if it is still made...but it was hot during the paper shortage of '73.

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #173 on: May 16, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »
Paper shortage of '73?  Wow I had no idea...I only remember the oil shortage but then again I was just a kid.  So were there long lines outside of stationary stores similar to lines at the gas stations?  Could you only buy paper on designated odd and even days?  :D

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2010, 05:04:32 PM »
Paper shortage of '73?  Wow I had no idea...I only remember the oil shortage but then again I was just a kid.  So were there long lines outside of stationary stores similar to lines at the gas stations?  Could you only buy paper on designated odd and even days?  :D
Thanks for that laugh! Even and odd days has me chuckling!

I finished off a set with the sticker backs to give it bulk and weight and it came out awesome.  Very time consuming but well worth it.  It ended up being a little heavier and bulkier than tanback stock. 
I'm appreciating your work Rob (displayed here on my desk), and I agree, it looks and feels great! I like the heavier backing...