Author Topic: Old School Posters  (Read 51926 times)

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
Re: Old School Posters
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2010, 02:08:53 PM »
Turns out that the USPS inspected my shipment from Topps and deemed it was not eligible for the Media Mail price. I'm not exactly sure why, but it could be because Media Mail does not allow for advertisements - and there was an Old School flyer included.

But that's why there was an additional charge of $1.51.

And it looks like that gave them time to play some Chicago-style 16 inch softball with the tube as the tube both posters are heavily creased right about where you'd expect to hit something if you were trying.  :)

I decided to break down and complain, so I e-mailed Topps to make them aware of the issue.

Looks like someone was also playing wiffle ball with my poster tube.  It was left on my apt doorstep with half the side caved in.  I emailed Topps and they told me to fold up the damaged poster and send it back to them in an envelope for an exchange.  We'll see what happens with the next delivery, but my hopes are tempered...

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2010, 03:27:04 PM »
Looks like someone was also playing wiffle ball with my poster tube.  It was left on my apt doorstep with half the side caved in.  I emailed Topps and they told me to fold up the damaged poster and send it back to them in an envelope for an exchange.  We'll see what happens with the next delivery, but my hopes are tempered...

Thanks. I don't know if I'll exert the effort to return mine if they offer. I actually think I'm more likely to hang one up and enjoy it this way. Since it's no longer mint - what's a couple thumbtack holes going to hurt?

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2010, 09:00:02 PM »
Finally got my posters today after a month long wait. The sketch poster is ruined, and the OldS have creases down the middle. I'll be calling Topps tomorrow... I won't be ordering the uncut sheet if this is what I have to look forward to.

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2010, 04:47:26 AM »
Finally got my posters today after a month long wait. The sketch poster is ruined, and the OldS have creases down the middle. I'll be calling Topps tomorrow... I won't be ordering the uncut sheet if this is what I have to look forward to.

It's ridiculous that they would even send those out in that condition. What gorilla is packing these? Mine just had a few minor issues that you can't even see after they were framed.

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2010, 04:53:01 AM »

[/Mine poster looks as bad as yours

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2010, 08:17:09 AM »
The sketch poster tube was dented, but the OldS tube was fine. So the OldS were both creased before (or as) they were shoved into the tube.

For the sketch poster tube, I blame media mail (molasses mail). Any package that gets handed around for a month is just asking to get wailed on.

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2010, 09:58:31 AM »
The sketch poster tube was dented, but the OldS tube was fine. So the OldS were both creased before (or as) they were shoved into the tube.

For the sketch poster tube, I blame media mail (molasses mail). Any package that gets handed around for a month is just asking to get wailed on.

Same here - my sketch poster tube was almost completely flattened and to top that it took 3 weeks to get from NY to Philly. Did not have time to take it up with Topps yet.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2010, 10:30:20 AM »
Same here - my sketch poster tube was almost completely flattened and to top that it took 3 weeks to get from NY to Philly. Did not have time to take it up with Topps yet.
I must be the only one that got one (poster) "Un-Damaged" ??? :^)
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2010, 11:08:12 AM »
I must be the only one that got one (poster) "Un-Damaged" ??? :^)

Both of Mine showed up in good shape.

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2010, 11:42:30 AM »
Both of Mine showed up in good shape.

Well that's 2 of us! ;)

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2010, 12:00:03 PM »
Well that's 2 of us! ;)

I'm a little surprised at the high incidence of damage.  I know media mail gives it a lot of time to get mishandled but the actual tubes seem pretty sturdy.  Did everyone else get the extra protective brown paper wrapped around the poster before it was inserted in the tube?
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »
I'm a little surprised at the high incidence of damage.  I know media mail gives it a lot of time to get mishandled but the actual tubes seem pretty sturdy.  Did everyone else get the extra protective brown paper wrapped around the poster before it was inserted in the tube?
I did'nt :^)

Offline Kook

« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
I'm a little surprised at the high incidence of damage.  I know media mail gives it a lot of time to get mishandled but the actual tubes seem pretty sturdy.  Did everyone else get the extra protective brown paper wrapped around the poster before it was inserted in the tube?

My poster had some edge creases. No paper protection.

Did anyone else see that since the uncut old school sheets were added to the website, the 2 posters are gone? Are they no longer available?

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »
I'd like to see Topps ship their items ONLY via UPS and totally eliminate the USPS. My faith in the post office is non-existant. Does Topps decide which shipper to use based on size or price or what?

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2010, 01:47:52 PM »

Nope.  No protective paper around my poster.  I had damage due to the tube being crushed in the middle and damage on the end because the poster was not slid into the tube far enough before they screwed on the end-cap (that damaged the edges on one-side of the poster).
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2010, 03:10:10 PM »
I'd like to see Topps ship their items ONLY via UPS and totally eliminate the USPS. My faith in the post office is non-existant. Does Topps decide which shipper to use based on size or price or what?

UPS takes way too long to go cross country. I wouldn't want that. Besides, UPS often uses the postal service for part of the journey!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2010, 03:25:32 PM »

Priority mail is my preferred shipping. 2 - 3 days no matter where it's from. UPS takes too long from the east coast (7 - 10 days).

No protective paper on my posters. The tube was crushed on the sketch poster, and on the OldS posters the middle was creased/crinkled all the way from top to bottom. No damage to the tube, so they must have got it half way in, then bent it around in circles. So the 1st tube was used to play baseball, and the 2nd one was a mock light saber  :-X

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2010, 04:22:51 PM »
If they had carried my poster tube from Topps to my front door on a pillow the posters inside would still me messed up because of the way they were shoved into the tube.

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2010, 04:27:02 PM »
I got my replacement poster today from Topps.  This time the tube wasn't crushed, but there was still some creasing on one edge of the poster probably from the way it was packed.  Whatever...I'm not sending this one back.  It's not in perfect shape but at least this one doesn't look like a truck ran over it.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2010, 04:28:42 PM »
I got my replacement poster today from Topps.  This time the tube wasn't crushed, but there was still some creasing on one edge of the poster probably from the way it was packed.  Whatever...I'm not sending this one back.  It's not in perfect shape but at least this one doesn't look like a truck ran over it.
They (Topps) have a serious issue on packing the "posters" correctly! :-\

Offline 6up

« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2010, 04:50:10 PM »
I was one of the first people to recieve my OS boxes when they were released.  I just received my poster this week.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2010, 05:18:23 PM »
Topps told me to send mine back for replacement. They said they won't be using media mail this time.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2010, 05:43:30 PM »
My package arriving safely and in one piece is more important than getting the package a day or two quicker IF the condition will be jeopardized. Something coming via USPS is like playing russian roulette.

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2010, 02:35:01 PM »
I've gotten damaged posters BOTH times.  I called the Topps store the first time and they sent out a replacement.  However, after waiting almost 2 weeks for the replacement, it was just as badly damaged as the first.  This time they made me mail it back to them as proof.  I asked if I could just take pictures and email those to them and they said no, they needed it back.  I enclosed a note that if it comes damaged this time, I will be asking for a refund.  Hopefully, I will get a nice uncreased couple of posters this time.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2010, 06:01:24 PM »

Gee Your Posters Look Horrific !!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2010, 06:10:24 PM »
If they had carried my poster tube from Topps to my front door on a pillow the posters inside would still me messed up because of the way they were shoved into the tube.

Mine came in the brown paper. But that seemed to be an extra precautionary step that Topps took after all the complaints coming in about them being crinkled. The thick tube was a great idea and my tube came totally undented, but yet the posters inside were still creased at one corner and some wrinkling down the middle with I would have to attribute this to the packaging of the posters into the tube and not the transportation of the tube. So yes, mine could of come to my door on a pillow also and the posters inside are still mishandled.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2010, 06:08:15 PM »
This weekend I spend some time chopping up my sketch card poster.  I didn't do a perfect job, but I have to say it looks pretty sweet.  I'm really grooving on it, well worth the time. Thanks everyone for the advice on best technique.  I used an exacto knife with a new blade (and changed it a couple times during the process). I have them in nine pocket sleeves and just keep admiring.  Love those wackys!   

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »
Cool, I think Dr. Popper posted some pic.s of his poster cut up somewhere. Looks really neat, I just framed the whole poster and put it up in our rehearsal room.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2010, 06:06:49 PM »
This weekend I spend some time chopping up my sketch card poster.  I didn't do a perfect job, but I have to say it looks pretty sweet.  I'm really grooving on it, well worth the time. Thanks everyone for the advice on best technique.  I used an exacto knife with a new blade (and changed it a couple times during the process). I have them in nine pocket sleeves and just keep admiring.  Love those wackys!   

I would like to try a poster with sticker backing stuck to the back to give it more bulk.  I'm not sure where I would get a sheet that size though.  If I could find them I'd pump up some sets for forum members.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2010, 06:12:58 PM »
I would like to try a poster with sticker backing stuck to the back to give it more bulk.  I'm not sure where I would get a sheet that size though.  If I could find them I'd pump up some sets for forum members.
Count me in!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2010, 06:20:56 PM »
I thought about that also. I know they make adhesive poster board but I am not sure how thick it would be. I haven't checked Hobby Lobby. You wouldn't need a sheet as big as the poster since you could cut it down. The only other thing is to try and line the poster up perfect when applying it to the board. I can see huge issues with bubbles and wrinkles. Have you ever tried putting on a screen protector perfect the first time? Super tricky. You screw up once the whole poster could be ruined because there is no stretching and reapplying.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2010, 07:38:14 AM »
I thought about that also. I know they make adhesive poster board but I am not sure how thick it would be. I haven't checked Hobby Lobby. You wouldn't need a sheet as big as the poster since you could cut it down. The only other thing is to try and line the poster up perfect when applying it to the board. I can see huge issues with bubbles and wrinkles. Have you ever tried putting on a screen protector perfect the first time? Super tricky. You screw up once the whole poster could be ruined because there is no stretching and reapplying.

It would definitely be a tricky process, and I'm sure we would trash a couple sheets learning how to do it well.  I would think using a straight-edge standing on it's end and sliding it from one end to the other would be the best way to avoid bubbles. 

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2010, 11:16:21 AM »
Got my replacement posters today. They used the protective brown paper. All are in perfect condition this time. No center crease down the middle, dinged edges or anything like that.  :D

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2010, 05:11:03 PM »
Got my replacement posters today. They used the protective brown paper. All are in perfect condition this time. No center crease down the middle, dinged edges or anything like that.  :D
I plan to bring my two extras that appear to be near perfect to the show in May.  What is topps charging for these?  I want to make them available for less than Topps price or will trade them.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #139 on: May 04, 2010, 06:01:07 AM »

Does anyone know why Topps doesn't have the posters on their website anymore?