Author Topic: Jay Lynch Tribute Set  (Read 34128 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Jay Lynch Tribute Set
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2017, 05:38:39 AM »

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2017, 05:55:30 AM »
Thanks.  Jay will be missed.

Thx as well... Jay will be missed - a "Wacky GrandMaster"

Offline quas

« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2017, 06:32:36 AM »
Thx as well... Jay will be missed - a "Wacky GrandMaster"

I was glad to see he was fully acknowledged by the NY Times.  May be time soon for a road trip to Ohio State.
Marc

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2017, 07:33:46 PM »
I know so many have already stated this, but what a loss when Jay left this world.  I was fortunate to meet him a number of times over the years and I commissioned him back in the late 90's to create a Wacky of one of my favorite food items of all time, Funny Face kool-aid.  He was more than generous with his time and I felt like I was part of creating some great work of art.  What a great feeling and something he was so kind about.  It was like taking batting practice with Ted Williams or playing one-on-one with Michael Jordan.  And the amount of time he gave our hobby with all his stories is something I know we all treasure.  Certainly, my thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.  And I know he'll live on in his artwork and the stories we in this hobby will have to share.  Rest in peace, Jay.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2017, 12:48:09 PM »
I know so many have already stated this, but what a loss when Jay left this world.  I was fortunate to meet him a number of times over the years and I commissioned him back in the late 90's to create a Wacky of one of my favorite food items of all time, Funny Face kool-aid.  He was more than generous with his time and I felt like I was part of creating some great work of art.  What a great feeling and something he was so kind about.  It was like taking batting practice with Ted Williams or playing one-on-one with Michael Jordan.  And the amount of time he gave our hobby with all his stories is something I know we all treasure.  Certainly, my thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.  And I know he'll live on in his artwork and the stories we in this hobby will have to share.  Rest in peace, Jay.

Well put here Tom, I know you, Scott, John, and I will never forget the great time we had at his apt. when he was living in Chicago during that one late 90's show.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2017, 01:47:01 PM »
Amazingly, Jay's best pal Skip Williamson, another Underground Comix legend just passed away as well only a little over a week later.

Online mikecho

« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »
I wish I'd met Jay; I think I might have liked him a lot. Rest in peace, O Wacky master among many Wacky masters. By the way, if anyone wants to see a lot of Jay's Wacky art, go to lostwackys.com and click on the section "Lost Wackys". Rusty's got a lot of his black and white rough art and color rough art of Wackys that never were. Ah well, we still have the memories-and the finished ones.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:15:06 PM by mikecho »

Online mikecho

« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2017, 07:12:53 PM »
Just had a brainstorm-does anyone think that these roughs I previously mentioned would make great OLDS Wackys made as a tribute to Jay's memory?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2017, 07:54:46 PM »
By the way, if anyone wants to see a lot of Jay's Wacky art, go to lostwackys.com and click on the section "Lost Wackys". Rusty's got a lot of his black and white rough art and color rough art of Wackys that never were.
yes, he does have all those images - and every single one was directly lifted from the old John Mann wacky site.
http://john-manns-wacky-site.com/roughs/index.html

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2017, 03:32:01 AM »
Just had a brainstorm-does anyone think that these roughs I previously mentioned would make great OLDS Wackys made as a tribute to Jay's memory?

Yes, there are some good gags lost in this treasure trove.  Perhaps some of the artists visit these sites for inspiration?  Don't know.  Maybe we'll see some of these titles in OS6?  Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Reminds me of the "Pupsi" dog:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:34:17 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2017, 07:57:46 AM »
yes, he does have all those images - and every single one was directly lifted from the old John Mann wacky site.

Roxanne Toser also used to have a significant collection of his gags. Don't know if they've ever been completely cataloged.

Also, I'm not sure it's been mentioned before, but most of the titles from the Chrome series Cutting Room Floor (and 17th series binders) were based on original concepts from Jay.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2017, 11:57:22 AM »
There are some concepts that Jay and I did together in Old School 6 and one based on an old 70s design.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2017, 02:55:20 PM »
There are some concepts that Jay and I did together in Old School 6 and one based on an old 70s design.

See?  There you are, mikecho.  Your wish has come true.

Nobody lives forever, except through their deeds.  And as long as somebody is painting a Wacky, considering a new Wacky idea, or simply holding a Wacky with smiling eyes, Mssrs. Lynch, Saunders, Stewart, et al. will always be with us.

Online mikecho

« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2017, 05:40:34 PM »
See?  There you are, mikecho.  Your wish has come true.

Nobody lives forever, except through their deeds.  And as long as somebody is painting a Wacky, considering a new Wacky idea, or simply holding a Wacky with smiling eyes, Mssrs. Lynch, Saunders, Stewart, et al. will always be with us.
This is great! I can't wait to see which of Jay's Wackys were finally made.

Online mikecho

« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2017, 05:45:41 PM »
Thanks a lot. I didn't even know that there was another site that even had these. I even found one that I missed as a Spreadsheet Note-the one that Baked Bears just showed us on 3-15.

• Administrator
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2017, 08:40:22 AM »
link to a Jay article on Comic Book Resources

http://www.cbr.com/garbage-pail-kids-artist-jay-lynch-passes-away/

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2017, 03:30:21 PM »
I just heard of Jays passing. What a shame, such a talented artist. I had come across an ebay auction for a sketch of Jay and upon closer inspection noticed it was a memorial card given out at his funeral. :sad:

« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2017, 01:35:06 PM »
Life was and still is funnier and wackier because of you Jay. Thank you for chatting with me on the forums and hanging out with all of us over the years, for signing some of my wackys and thank you for the awesome Dopey Whip sketch you did that lives proudly in my home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You're going out in style, as it should be. Best, Darynne BBG

Offline Corndog

• Corndog....the NEW Blunder
  • There's no need to fear, because Corndog is here.
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2024, 05:24:48 AM »
I honestly didn't want to create a new topic, so I just added this older thread.

I found this on ebay, for all you Jay Lynch fans.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364659965255?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gHs2XsF2RTO&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=6RGwqHb3RKu&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2024, 10:14:10 AM »
That's interesting.  I often wonder how people end up with these things (that is, signed checks).  Is someone going through (or, at least in the old days, went through) canceled checks looking for famous folks?  I won't be buying this, but I like to wonder about what Jay might have been doing on that day back in '77 when he went to the store to withdraw 30 bucks for himself.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2024, 03:37:04 PM »
That's interesting.  I often wonder how people end up with these things (that is, signed checks).  Is someone going through (or, at least in the old days, went through) canceled checks looking for famous folks?  I won't be buying this, but I like to wonder about what Jay might have been doing on that day back in '77 when he went to the store to withdraw 30 bucks for himself.

In those days, canceled checks were returned to you with your monthly statements. There are other possibilities, but I'm guessing it came from Jay, first or secondhand.

I worked at a bank in Boston once. I could have swiped Marvin Hagler's autograph on a mortgage note if I'd wanted to.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2024, 03:34:08 PM »
In those days, canceled checks were returned to you with your monthly statements. There are other possibilities, but I'm guessing it came from Jay, first or secondhand.

I worked at a bank in Boston once. I could have swiped Marvin Hagler's autograph on a mortgage note if I'd wanted to.

It's funny how I had totally forgotten about the cancelled checks being returned to me via mail every month.  Somehow I don't see Jay as selling them himself (not that I knew him that well to make such a statement), but who knows.  I do hope Jay benefited from his signature while he was alive.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2024, 03:39:58 PM »
I loved Jay’s work. I would much rather have his signature on a drawing or doodle than a check…..

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2024, 08:33:19 AM »
Somehow I don't see Jay as selling them himself (not that I knew him that well to make such a statement), but who knows.
I can confirm that he did, as I've seen ebay auctions he ran of just such things. Unfortunately, toward the end of his life, Jay was somewhat hurting for cash and sold things like this, right or wrong. Given what he contributed to the world, that just shouldn't have been.  :sad:

Online mikecho

« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2024, 08:33:43 PM »
I just checked out this web site now and it no longer exists.

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2024, 12:05:55 PM »
I just checked out this web site now and it no longer exists.
Greg re-hosted to AWS this year and that may have broken the link with Mann’s old site.
He does have his own page of roughs which looks similar, plus has some ANS stuff.

https://www.wackypackages.org/originalart/roughs/index.html

anything