Author Topic: Jay Lynch Tribute Set  (Read 34122 times)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Re: Jay Lynch Tribute Set
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 08:12:19 AM »
Hey guys,

I think this is a wonderful gesture, but does anyone have any sense of what constitutes "profits" from this set? 

The descriptions states that "All profits go to Jay Lynch to help with his health expenses" rather than all PROCEEDS, which if the language were proceeds I think would mean the full purchase price.  All profits means that Jay gets whatever is left from the $65 after Topps has covered all of its own needs first. 

Just hoping that the profits portion of the $65 is still a significant amount.  Because if, for instance, each set priced as they are only generates $20 in "profits" then we'd be better off just sending Jay the $65 directly.   And, not to bum everyone out but, Jay would get more money if we just sent him the $65 directly in any regard, unless Topps was covering the production costs for this set as a gesture, which it doesn't appear they are. 

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 08:18:56 AM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 08:43:45 AM »
Hey guys,

I think this is a wonderful gesture, but does anyone have any sense of what constitutes "profits" from this set? 

The descriptions states that "All profits go to Jay Lynch to help with his health expenses" rather than all PROCEEDS, which if the language were proceeds I think would mean the full purchase price.  All profits means that Jay gets whatever is left from the $65 after Topps has covered all of its own needs first. 

Just hoping that the profits portion of the $65 is still a significant amount.  Because if, for instance, each set priced as they are only generates $20 in "profits" then we'd be better off just sending Jay the $65 directly.   And, not to bum everyone out but, Jay would get more money if we just sent him the $65 directly in any regard, unless Topps was covering the production costs for this set as a gesture, which it doesn't appear they are.

I was told everything would be covered and sent to him but yeah, I can see where that word could cause confusion. I already sent him my full pay which I have not received yet and plan to send the money from selling the painting.

Offline drono

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 10:31:39 AM »
He relisted it today.

Can you post the link?  I can't seem to find it on eBay.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2017, 12:26:42 PM »
I was told everything would be covered and sent to him but yeah, I can see where that word could cause confusion. I already sent him my full pay which I have not received yet and plan to send the money from selling the painting.

That's awesome, Dave.   Sounds like it is as it should be.   Glad to hear it. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »
Can you post the link?  I can't seem to find it on eBay.
Because it was ended. eBay auction: #262867834151

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2017, 05:16:53 AM »
Got the set of cards yesterday. They mailed from Florida.  Glad To help out Jay. Hopefully  most Forum members bought a set. I'll say a prayer for you Jay.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2017, 08:22:03 AM »
Can anyone here tell us how sales have been?  My sets haven't arrived yet, but I hope Jay knows we are all trying to help.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2017, 08:15:46 PM »

It would be nice to think that this seller was doing this for reasons other than his own. But look at the bigger picture...It looks like he only bought 1 set and tried to profit from it Bigly. I could be wrong but I don't remember reading to much or anything at all in the description that buying this set benefited anyone. Just my opinion, but to do that is wrong.

Now, if he bought 10 sets, put them up for a honest profit, not double plus. Stated that buying these sets benefited Jay and his failing health and that $65 of the purchase price does just that....that I can get on board with.

Trying to find the good in what this seller did is just looking past the bigger picture. He was trying to profit from Jays misfortune. The world would be a sadder place if we all expected to profit from our DONATIONS.

Jim
The seller seems to think that he and thousands of others sell Topps stuff on ebay all the time.  Jay's tribute set was just one of those items.  He gave no thought to it, didn't care, listing topps items like a machine to make some money.  Not even sure if he bothers to actually have the stock.  He may wait til he gets an order, then order from Topps to fill it.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2017, 02:32:46 AM »
The seller seems to think that he and thousands of others sell Topps stuff on ebay all the time.  Jay's tribute set was just one of those items.  He gave no thought to it, didn't care, listing topps items like a machine to make some money.  Not even sure if he bothers to actually have the stock.  He may wait til he gets an order, then order from Topps to fill it.

I think you are correct. I bet he feels he will be stuck with this set as he is getting pushback when he lists it and has no plans to keep it. He probably only ordered one set. At least HE helped Jay with his purchase.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2017, 02:38:06 AM »
[/quote)

Can you or another of the artists involved ask Topps to run an auction of a signed version of this set with all proceeds going to Jay? Topps could use the auction as a way to promote the set and mention in the auction description that the regular version of the set is available on their site. We still have 17 days to go so that may be a way to get the word out more broadly.

Andrew

Offline drono

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2017, 03:44:44 AM »

Do a search for "Jay Lynch" on eBay now and you'll see 220+ items.  How many of those do you think mention "Jay Lynch" in the auction title simply because the seller knows about Jay's health?  Some of the mentions make sense, and some of them just seem to be capitalizing on Jay's name.

There are a lot of sellers who make their entire living on eBay now, and any advantage they can get keeps food on their tables and clothes on their children's backs.  Should we be so harsh to blame them?

I went to Scotland for four weeks in 1996 and picked up some "news" magazines (similar to People) for my wife while I was there.  A few of them had Princess Diana on the cover.  When she died in 1997, I listed them on eBay.  I didn't list them for 3x what I'd paid; I think I set the minimum low and just let the auction run its course.  I don't remember making a ton of profit on them, but I wouldn't have even tried to sell them if she hadn't died.  I probably would've just eventually tossed them in trash.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2017, 05:54:24 AM »
I think you are correct. I bet he feels he will be stuck with this set as he is getting pushback when he lists it and has no plans to keep it. He probably only ordered one set. At least HE helped Jay with his purchase.
I wonder if they even ordered a set to help out.
The auction was listed as a 'pre-order', which makes me think they'd only actually buy a set from Topps once they had suckered someone into paying more than triple the Topps price.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2017, 01:47:50 PM »

How do we know HE even ordered 1 set? It says pre-order from topps. I bet HE doesn't even order the set till its sold. So how do we know HE helped Jay?

Jim

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2017, 04:48:31 PM »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2017, 09:24:21 AM »
Saw this on eBay today.  A very cool gesture by sketch artist Sobot:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/wacky-packages-50th-anniversary-return-sketch-card-/282376029112?hash=item41beec43b8:g:yJUAAOSwuxFYs18r
totally agree, nice gesture!

question for everyone, the declaration is that it is terminal cancer.  While I always like to hold hope, terminal is terminal.  Does Medicare in effect own everything he has now?  I ask because I am wondering if he has family that could benefit from donations after medicare takes everything?   We are all at the age where we need to protect our parents' assets and consider having their home ownership transferred to kids so medicare doesn't claim it as part of medical bill coverage in the later years.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 03:37:35 PM by bandaches »
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2017, 12:03:12 PM »

question for everyone, the declaration is that it is terminal cancer.  While I always like to hold hope, terminal is terminal.  Does Medicare in effect own everything he has now?  I ask because I am wondering if he has family that could benefit from donations after medicare takes everything?   We are all at the age where we need to protect or parents assets and consider having their home ownership transferred to kids so medicare doesn't claim it as part of medical bill coverage in the later years.

Medicare doesn't take assets, but Medicaid does, at least in New York.  There's a look back period of several years for asset transfers, so even if you transfer ownership of your house, or establish an Irrevocable Trust and put the house in that ownership, you need to do it years before you really get sick and need a nursing home long term with Medicaid paying. 

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2017, 01:33:35 PM »

question for everyone, the declaration is that it is terminal cancer.  While I always like to hold hope, terminal is terminal.  Does Medicare in effect own everything he has now?  I ask because I am wondering if he has family that could benefit from donations after medicare takes everything?   We are all at the age where we need to protect or parents assets and consider having their home ownership transferred to kids so medicare doesn't claim it as part of medical bill coverage in the later years.

Unless the house is sold to the family the Gov. can go back 5 years plus and take back ANY gifts given in that time period. If people are thinking of doing this with their homes to their kids I suggest you get the ball rolling now!

Jim

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2017, 01:50:02 PM »
I only met Jay once, and as far as family, all I recall him talking about was an ex-wife, and a lot of cats.  I am afraid he might be all alone now.  Does anyone know?  Perhaps if he is near someone here, they could visit, and at least hold his hand for a bit. 

Offline bandaches

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2017, 03:38:25 PM »
Unless the house is sold to the family the Gov. can go back 5 years plus and take back ANY gifts given in that time period. If people are thinking of doing this with their homes to their kids I suggest you get the ball rolling now!

Jim
yes, I am hearing the transfer needs to be 5 years in advance which is why people need to think about it now.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2017, 08:45:31 AM »
A facebook message posted today from Kathy Huffy:

Hello folks, my name is Kathy, I am a friend of Jay's. I am now staying with him 24/7 as he had asked Hospice to come and help us. I am now aware that many of his friends and colleagues were not aware how sick Jay has been. He has terminal cancer and it has progressed fast. There is nothing more that can be done. He is at home and I am caring for him with the help of Hospice. People have called and he is not able to talk. We are keeping him comfortable. There is no way of knowing for how long. You are welcome to call and I can give you updates, but Jay is not able to talk. He hears me when I talk to him and I tell him when someone calls and I tell him they are praying, thinking of him and send all the love. I will try to keep an up date every few days. Thank you all for the friendship and love you all have had over the years for Jay. He is one special man and loved dearly. Thank you all Kathy

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2017, 09:05:41 AM »
Neil, thanks for relaying this message from Kathy.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2017, 09:20:37 AM »
I only met Jay once, and as far as family, all I recall him talking about was an ex-wife, and a lot of cats.  I am afraid he might be all alone now.  Does anyone know?  Perhaps if he is near someone here, they could visit, and at least hold his hand for a bit.

My 4th and 5th grade children had a fundraiser which ended this Friday past.  Tomorrow we will send out a card and the proceeds.  We're much too far away to visit, but I'm hoping the gesture helps.

Here is a picture one of my students drew:

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2017, 09:29:21 AM »
I am NOT happy that someone would try to profit from a sick and dying man!

I have ZERO problems with making money, however this set is a special situation, BLOOD MONEY!!!!

I will keep my set knowing Jay will get my proceeds from Topps,

Richard

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »

Hello folks, my name is Kathy, I am a friend of Jay's. I am now staying with him 24/7 as he had asked Hospice to come and help us. I am now aware that many of his friends and colleagues were not aware how sick Jay has been. He has terminal cancer and it has progressed fast. There is nothing more that can be done. He is at home and I am caring for him with the help of Hospice. People have called and he is not able to talk. We are keeping him comfortable. There is no way of knowing for how long. You are welcome to call and I can give you updates, but Jay is not able to talk. He hears me when I talk to him and I tell him when someone calls and I tell him they are praying, thinking of him and send all the love. I will try to keep an up date every few days. Thank you all for the friendship and love you all have had over the years for Jay. He is one special man and loved dearly. Thank you all Kathy

Yes, thank you, Neil.

Both good - and sad - news.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2017, 09:54:22 AM »

I am glad that there is someone with him who cares about him, and I hope he has been told how many people have him in their thoughts and prayers.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2017, 01:51:32 PM »
Folks,

Very sad news: Skip Williamson just announced that Jay has passed away today...

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2017, 01:58:49 PM »
Jay has passed away today...

I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm grateful he is no longer suffering.

I'm glad he touched my life with humor time and time again.  His legacy will always live on.

He was a good man and will be missed. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:04:56 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2017, 02:07:50 PM »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2017, 02:12:22 PM »
Folks,

I am so very sorry to hear this.  I hope he at least knew that we were trying to help, and that we had him in our thoughts and prayers.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2017, 02:13:51 PM »
He knew.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2017, 02:14:32 PM »
Folks,

oh. wow. very sorry to hear this.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2017, 02:40:59 PM »
Oh crap.  Part of me always holds hope even when people are told they have terminal cancer. 

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2017, 02:43:56 PM »
Folks,

So sad to hear this. I trust he passed knowing how much he gave to the world.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2017, 02:48:49 PM »
He knew.

I'm glad to hear that - thanks.

Offline quas

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2017, 03:49:30 PM »
Very sad.  The upcoming Philly show should be officially dedicated to Jay.
Marc