Author Topic: Jay Lynch Tribute Set  (Read 34130 times)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Jay Lynch Tribute Set
« on: February 15, 2017, 12:18:38 PM »
Jay Lynch Tribute set Now live

Available for 1 month

https://www.topps.com/shop-entertainment-brands/garbage-pail-kids/jay-lynch-gpk-wacky-packages-tribute/jay-lynch-gpk-wacky-packages-tribute-set-11-cards.html

#7: Flunk by David Gross
#8: Shrunken Donuts by Smokin Joe
#9: Pupsi by Fred Wheaton
#10: Schnozmopolitan by JungHwa Im
#11: DeLinquent Spinach by Neil Camera

Here's the new cards, Jay's rough art, and the original series cards

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 01:29:55 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Joe G.

Re: Jay Lynch Tribute Set
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 12:33:19 PM »
This is wonderful and great work by all the artist's involved!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 12:42:47 PM »
Cool idea! Does anyone have large and clear scans of all 11 cards?

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 12:46:08 PM »
I think this might be a little better than the Delinquent Spinach posted online...

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 01:25:44 PM »
Here's mine:

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »
Here's mine:

Dave, really awesome painted text!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 01:48:12 PM »
Great set.  Very cool of Topps and the Artists to make this set happen.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:33:36 AM by DrDeal »

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 02:34:32 PM »
GREAT idea, Topps!  And a wonderful cause to help out a true, Wacky Icon!

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »
I think this might be a little better than the Delinquent Spinach posted online...

Way better.  Topps online scans are horrible.  I hope that doesn't deter people from buying the set thinking the cards look like the website scans.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »
Great set.  Very cool of Topps and the Artists to make this set happen.

FYI: Just saw an Ebay Buy It Now Listing for $199 for this set as a pre-order. Pretty low for a re-seller to attempt to make profits off this set.

Here is the listing #262854700556  I hope this gets shut down and no more pop up.
Actually, is it low?  If this seller sells a bunch, then it means he buys a bunch.  He would be selling to people who aren't bright enough to find the set on the Topps site which means they wouldn't be buyers anyway.  The end result is more money to Jay technically.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 05:24:05 PM »
Bravo!  Superb!  Wonderful!

I am so, so glad this set was created and thank everybody involved with the utmost sincerity - from the artists to the printers to those who purchased it today and those who will purchase it tomorrow.   It is a fitting tribute to a living legend.

If anybody is an acquaintance of Jay Lynch, please, PLEASE let him know about this.  It's just not about a fundraiser, but much, much more.  It's about hundreds of people, fans, workers, creators - damn, even a corporation! - coming together and radiating positivity.  I'm not a new age guru or anything like that, but I've seen what positivity can do.  And though I can't explain why, I swear, on those occasions, it's far more valuable than any chunk of gold.

Again, thank you, everyone!  Seeing this go online today really made my day!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 05:34:48 PM »
 :great:

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 09:09:35 PM »
Here's to JL!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 04:50:10 AM »
Thanks to whoever convinced Topps to do this, and to Topps for following through!  Thanks also to the artists for their efforts.  While many of us here contributed individually, this tribute set should generate a lot more money to help Jay.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:52:54 AM by RawGoo »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 07:37:24 PM »
As others have said, it's so nice to see Topps make this set and the creators who made this happen.  I hope it's super successful and makes a significant impact for Jay.  I ordered my set today and look forward to adding them (well, at least the Wackys) to my collection.  Thanks and kudos to all involved!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 02:22:40 AM »
I ordered my set yesterday and think this has to be one of the best corporate gestures I have ever seen. I hope this helps Jay out financially and emotionally.

Andrew

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 06:07:08 PM »
This is great. Really nice to hear about this. 

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 08:07:17 AM »
I ordered mine - I hope Jay gets better soon!

Richard

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 09:13:50 AM »
Thanks to all the artists for stepping up on this project for Jay. I ordered mine today. In my opinion everyone on this Forum should order a set to support Jay's medical bills. It would be a great gesture. Also for the guy selling this set for a profit, did he sell any? If so maybe he can donate a portion of his or her profits to Jay.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 11:43:27 AM »
Thanks to all the artists for stepping up on this project for Jay. I ordered mine today. In my opinion everyone on this Forum should order a set to support Jay's medical bills. It would be a great gesture. Also for the guy selling this set for a profit, did he sell any? If so maybe he can donate a portion of his or her profits to Jay.
I wrote to the guy trying to sell for a profit asking if he intends to send any of the profits to Jay, asked him if he even knows Jay and why there's a tribute set and if Jay knows his name and situation are being used to make a profit.  He basically told me to go f*** myself.  I told him karma is real and to have a good day.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 01:07:53 PM »
I wrote to the guy trying to sell for a profit asking if he intends to send any of the profits to Jay, asked him if he even knows Jay and why there's a tribute set and if Jay knows his name and situation are being used to make a profit.  He basically told me to go f*** myself.  I told him karma is real and to have a good day.

I just sent him this message. Others should follow suit and maybe he will abandon this effort.

Hello,

Please stop trying to sell these sets. Jay Lynch needs our help and people buying these sets from you does not benefit Jay. Please take down your auction. Thanks,

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 02:01:22 PM »
I just sent him this message. Others should follow suit and maybe he will abandon this effort.
He's going to tell you to go f*** yourself, too. This is the kind of person he is, obviously.

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 02:17:50 PM »
I just made an offer for $30.00  That will get his blood boiling

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2017, 02:23:53 PM »
I just made an offer for $30.00  That will get his blood boiling

i made him an offer for $40 and he countered at $170 - i will keep playing with him...acting ignorant of course...I bought 3 sets myself ( from Topps) - Hope Jay gets better...

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2017, 02:29:33 PM »
i made him an offer for $40 and he countered at $170 - i will keep playing with him...acting ignorant of course...I bought 3 sets myself ( from Topps) - Hope Jay gets better...
Nice work Joe

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2017, 02:31:40 PM »

I hope he gets stuck with whatever sets he buys.  I want my money to go to Jay!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 02:37:30 PM »
He's going to tell you to go f*** yourself, too. This is the kind of person he is, obviously.

Here is the reply I just received:  " I will take it down. Thank you "

I just did a search and it does not turn up so I think our collective communication made him realize what he was doing was wrong.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:39:55 PM by DrDeal »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 06:36:51 PM »
Here is the reply I just received:  " I will take it down. Thank you "

I just did a search and it does not turn up so I think our collective communication made him realize what he was doing was wrong.
Color me surprised...pleasantly.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »

Hello,

Please stop trying to sell these sets. Jay Lynch needs our help and people buying these sets from you does not benefit Jay. Please take down your auction. Thanks,
I still don't see your point.  How does this seller hurt Jay?  The guy is buying sets from Topps and that money goes to Jay.  He then flips them for a profit.  The more he flips, I am sure the more he will buy from Topps so that does benefit Jay.  It is not like this guy is competition and stealing sales from Topps, he is in effect a reseller for Topps and reaching buyers who are otherwise clearly unaware that Topps is selling so there is no chance those buyers would buy from Topps.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 09:13:35 AM »
Tom.

I would also agree with everything you stated - from a business point of view.  Yes, Jay would benefit if the eBay merchant purchased even more tribute sets. 

I believe what's angering many others, though, is that the merchant attempted to profit from the singular fact that JL is not in the best of health.  This is an insult and dishonor.  Indirect, maybe, but still an insult and dishonor.  Right now we should be giving and compassionate, honoring both Jay and his rich, wonderful legacy - not selfishly benefiting from the fact that he is going through some stressful and difficult times.  The first is noble and commendable; The latter is just low and downright cold.

I know vultures have their place scavenging, etc., yet they never place high on anyone's list.

Rob
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:15:12 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »
Tom.

I would also agree with everything you stated - from a business point of view.  Yes, Jay would benefit if the eBay merchant purchased even more tribute sets. 

I believe what's angering many others, though, is that the merchant attempted to profit from the singular fact that JL is not in the best of health.  This is an insult and dishonor.  Indirect, maybe, but still an insult and dishonor.  Right now we should be giving and compassionate, honoring both Jay and his rich, wonderful legacy - not selfishly benefiting from the fact that he is going through some stressful and difficult times.  The first is noble and commendable; The latter is just low and downright cold.

I know vultures have their place scavenging, etc., yet they never place high on anyone's list.

Rob
:great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:

Rob Thanks for those sentiments. They are on target.

Also,  I got word that my Tribute set shipped today. I guess we should anticipate them hitting ebay soon.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:11:01 AM by DrDeal »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2017, 01:19:05 PM »

Also,  I got word that my Tribute set shipped today. I guess we should anticipate them hitting ebay soon.

Wow, I didn't realize the sets were being shipped so soon.  And I'm sure you're right.  The vultures will soon be perching over in eBay.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 03:50:48 PM »
I still don't see your point.  How does this seller hurt Jay?  The guy is buying sets from Topps and that money goes to Jay.  He then flips them for a profit.  The more he flips, I am sure the more he will buy from Topps so that does benefit Jay.  It is not like this guy is competition and stealing sales from Topps, he is in effect a reseller for Topps and reaching buyers who are otherwise clearly unaware that Topps is selling so there is no chance those buyers would buy from Topps.

It would be nice to think that this seller was doing this for reasons other than his own. But look at the bigger picture...It looks like he only bought 1 set and tried to profit from it Bigly. I could be wrong but I don't remember reading to much or anything at all in the description that buying this set benefited anyone. Just my opinion, but to do that is wrong.

Now, if he bought 10 sets, put them up for a honest profit, not double plus. Stated that buying these sets benefited Jay and his failing health and that $65 of the purchase price does just that....that I can get on board with.

Trying to find the good in what this seller did is just looking past the bigger picture. He was trying to profit from Jays misfortune. The world would be a sadder place if we all expected to profit from our DONATIONS.

Jim

Offline drono

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2017, 07:57:58 PM »
Trying to find the good in what this seller did is just looking past the bigger picture. He was trying to profit from Jays misfortune. The world would be a sadder place if we all expected to profit from our DONATIONS.

I didn't see the listing, but how is the seller different from the other 200+ "Jay Lynch" items that are on eBay now, probably at higher prices if the seller knows that Jay's health is failing?  At least by buying a set, he was donating to Jay's cause, and since it's not a limited sale, he isn't preventing anyone else from getting one through Topps.  If you buy a candy bar for $1 from a school kid raising money and then sell it for $2, the school kid still gets their $0.25 from the sale.  If you then took your $2, bought two more candy bars and sold them again, the kid gets $0.50 more that he wouldn't have gotten without your help.  I doubt that any of the other items on eBay will send any money to Jay.

By the way, did you know that Jay was arrested for Car Theft and Kidnapping in 1938, and was sought by the FBI?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-Press-Photo-Jay-Lynch-Arrested-for-Car-Thefts-Kidnappings-Sought-by-FBI-/351970458963?hash=item51f312fd53:g:wvIAAOSw3xJXosYi
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:04:28 PM by drono »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2017, 02:28:18 AM »
I didn't see the listing, but how is the seller different from the other 200+ "Jay Lynch" items that are on eBay now, probably at higher prices if the seller knows that Jay's health is failing?  At least by buying a set, he was donating to Jay's cause, and since it's not a limited sale, he isn't preventing anyone else from getting one through Topps.  If you buy a candy bar for $1 from a school kid raising money and then sell it for $2, the school kid still gets their $0.25 from the sale.  If you then took your $2, bought two more candy bars and sold them again, the kid gets $0.50 more that he wouldn't have gotten without your help.  I doubt that any of the other items on eBay will send any money to Jay.

By the way, did you know that Jay was arrested for Car Theft and Kidnapping in 1938, and was sought by the FBI?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-Press-Photo-Jay-Lynch-Arrested-for-Car-Thefts-Kidnappings-Sought-by-FBI-/351970458963?hash=item51f312fd53:g:wvIAAOSw3xJXosYi

He relisted it today.