Author Topic: Wacky Packages Halloween Postcards - Release Day 10/11/23 at Noon!  (Read 6852 times)

Offline bludevilok

Re: Wacky Packages Halloween Postcards - Release Day 10/11/23 at Noon!
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2023, 10:59:53 PM »
This is a really great set.  All the gags were fun and drawn cleverly.  Awesome job, gag writers and artists! 

Other than the obvious Twitch variant, did anyone notice any other variants?  I'm pretty sure I got a variant Batty Ruth, but no others.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2023, 02:33:54 AM »
This is a really great set.  All the gags were fun and drawn cleverly.  Awesome job, gag writers and artists! 

Other than the obvious Twitch variant, did anyone notice any other variants?  I'm pretty sure I got a variant Batty Ruth, but no others.

What is different about your Batty Ruth?  Please post scans!

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2023, 12:22:49 PM »
What is different about your Batty Ruth?  Please post scans!

I hesitate to post a scan yet for the benefit of those who haven't received theirs yet and don't want spoilers.  But my Batty Ruth has what appears to be lightning strikes around the bat's bottom wing and along the bottom edge of the bar, all in the black border.  (And no, it doesn't look scratched.)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2023, 01:17:43 PM »
I hesitate to post a scan yet for the benefit of those who haven't received theirs yet and don't want spoilers.  But my Batty Ruth has what appears to be lightning strikes around the bat's bottom wing and along the bottom edge of the bar, all in the black border.  (And no, it doesn't look scratched.)

None of mine look like that.

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2023, 10:23:35 PM »
None of mine look like that.

If it's not a variant, maybe it's one of those ebay "extremely rare" cards.  OR maybe it's like a Willy Wonka golden ticket, and I'll receive a special prize for receiving it...maybe the whole Topps factory?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2023, 09:29:20 AM »
oddly, the Wacky Pals numbers are out of sequence, with #4 on card 6 and #5 on card 5

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2023, 10:14:27 AM »
I'd love to buy a postcard set here from someone, but I l realize that if I want both Twix variants, I would need to buy 2 sets.

I second that - anyone who bought multiple units and would like to unload a basic postcard set without the extras, please PM me with asking price.  Either version of Twitch is fine, don’t need to have both.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2023, 10:27:37 PM »
Good to see I’m not the only one who always reads his name as “Mike Echo” instead of what it should be (Mike Cho).

I've always thought it was Mike Echo too.....how does that happen???
Alex

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2023, 05:29:33 PM »
MoldRush PM sent

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2023, 01:49:07 AM »
I second that - anyone who bought multiple units and would like to unload a basic postcard set without the extras, please PM me with asking price.  Either version of Twitch is fine, don’t need to have both.

This has been taken care of.  Thanks to all who reached out.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2023, 10:50:00 AM »

Has anyone seen another yet??? Did you scan this for the forum?
A

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2023, 11:21:42 PM »
Has anyone seen another yet??? Did you scan this for the forum?
A

I have scanned it but hesitated to post it since not everyone has gotten their cards yet and I didn't want to post a spoiler.  If anyone wants me to send a scan, feel free to PM me.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2023, 01:12:58 PM »
Just post it, so everyone knows what to look for.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2023, 08:03:37 AM »
Just post it, so everyone knows what to look for.
Agreed, just post, the frickin' things are all over eBay, there's no secret!

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2023, 11:10:23 PM »
Yes, it appears that enough people, even those who opted for free shipping, have received their cards, so here's the "weird" Batty Ruth I received:

I've already sent it out to a few who asked for it earlier, and it seems the consensus is that it's a printing error.  One Forum member explained it as being "caused by either heat or paper stretching on the press, causing the black ink to crack in those areas."  Plus, he noticed "that the bottom half starts to yellow at the bottom. So those cracks are definitely caused by something related to heat to cause the discoloration. I'm sure Topps is using digital presses too."   (Thanks, Swiski!)

I hadn't noticed the slight yellowing at the bottom until he mentioned it, so it all makes sense now, and why no one else has gotten one.

If I had gotten this card in any other set, I would have immediately chalked it up to a misprint.  However, it DOES look like lightning, or someone else said cobwebs, and it DOES add to the spookiness factor for a Halloween set, which already has one obvious intentional variant.  Plus, sometimes there are a number of variants in these postcard sets.  And because it looks spooky and Halloween-y, I'm still keeping it in my collector's book next to the real regular Batty Ruth.

As I said before, I'll just go with the ebay explanation:  It's a one-of-a-kind, extremely rare Batty Ruth and ask a thousand dollars for it.   :]

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2023, 07:06:56 AM »
Neat affect, what ever caused it. Neal is living, rent free, in all our WP brains  :]
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2023, 10:27:08 AM »
Call me crazy, but as soon as I saw your "special effects" card, I immediately thought of all the electrical discharges from the mad scientist equipment in the original Frankenstein movie! I can almost hear him yelling "It's alive! It's ALIVE!!!"

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2023, 12:42:14 AM »
Yes, it appears that enough people, even those who opted for free shipping, have received their cards, so here's the "weird" Batty Ruth I received:

That's pretty doggone neat!!!
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline quas

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2023, 04:13:46 AM »
Call me crazy, but as soon as I saw your "special effects" card, I immediately thought of all the electrical discharges from the mad scientist equipment in the original Frankenstein movie! I can almost hear him yelling "It's alive! It's ALIVE!!!"

Or how about the scenes from the Terminator movies when they first materialize amid visible electrical discharges.
Marc

Offline Corndog

• Corndog....the NEW Blunder
  • There's no need to fear, because Corndog is here.
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2023, 09:41:51 AM »
I am having a brain fart  :-\

Which character is this?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2023, 09:52:55 AM »
I am having a brain fart  :-\

Which character is this?

That's one's from Count Cluckula.

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2023, 02:56:20 PM »

I've already sent it out to a few who asked for it earlier, and it seems the consensus is that it's a printing error.  One Forum member explained it as being "caused by either heat or paper stretching on the press, causing the black ink to crack in those areas."  Plus, he noticed "that the bottom half starts to yellow at the bottom. So those cracks are definitely caused by something related to heat to cause the discoloration. I'm sure Topps is using digital presses too."   (Thanks, Swiski!)

I hadn't noticed the slight yellowing at the bottom until he mentioned it, so it all makes sense now, and why no one else has gotten one.

If I had gotten this card in any other set, I would have immediately chalked it up to a misprint.  However, it DOES look like lightning, or someone else said cobwebs, and it DOES add to the spookiness factor for a Halloween set, which already has one obvious intentional variant.  Plus, sometimes there are a number of variants in these postcard sets.  And because it looks spooky and Halloween-y, I'm still keeping it in my collector's book next to the real regular Batty Ruth.

As I said before, I'll just go with the ebay explanation:  It's a one-of-a-kind, extremely rare Batty Ruth and ask a thousand dollars for it.   :]

Awesome! Maybe next year we should do all the postcards with that lightening effect!

Offline Corndog

• Corndog....the NEW Blunder
  • There's no need to fear, because Corndog is here.
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2023, 06:21:11 AM »
It is hard to believe the Halloween postcards are still available at Topps.com. Did they print more than normal or are people loosing interest? Just bought two more boxes in hopes of completing my set and snagging some awesome sketch cards.

Offline quas

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2023, 06:22:58 AM »
It is hard to believe the Halloween postcards are still available at Topps.com. Did they print more than normal or are people loosing interest? Just bought two more boxes in hopes of completing my set and snagging some awesome sketch cards.

Seems to be unprecedented.
Marc

Offline mikecho

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2023, 08:33:56 PM »
You mean "losing interest", right?

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2023, 10:01:13 PM »
So it's not too late!  If y'all buy some more, maybe you too can obtain a Batty Ruth with electrified wings!   ;)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2024, 02:42:04 PM »
Now finally showing as Sold Out on Topps

Offline Swiski

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2024, 11:00:40 AM »
This doesn't look good for Wacky Packages if items like this and Old School stay in stock for this long!

Hopefully there will be more new releases, but probably few and far between.

It was really nice when we had the weekly, then monthly sets. That will probably never happen again.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2024, 02:35:53 PM »
This doesn't look good for Wacky Packages if items like this and Old School stay in stock for this long!
Is there still a limited time window for placing orders?  I thought production doesn’t even start until Topps knows its final prepurchase numbers.  Isn’t that the main reason it takes a couple months before buyers get their cards?