Author Topic: Will binder storage really damage cards?  (Read 6009 times)

Offline DrDeal

Will binder storage really damage cards?
« on: February 12, 2017, 07:40:20 AM »
I have read on this forum that it not a good practice to store Wackies in 3 Ring Binders with 9 Card Pages with the binders standing upright; as the bottom cards may be damaged. I do store my cards this way and have taken to putting  a "Back up" card behind each the bottom three cards on each page to attempt avert any damage/warping. Is that a common practice and will it work?  Am I committing "collection  quality suicide" by storing my cards this way? Thanks for any thoughts on this topic.

Andrew

Offline Brian Mc

Re: Will binder storage really damage cards?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 07:56:38 AM »
I store mine in 3 ring binders as well, but I lay them flat. Seems to work fine  :great:
Brian Mc

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 09:20:16 AM »
I also store my cards in 3 ring binders and lay them flat.  The only problem I've encountered with this is that the plastic pages sag down from the round rings until they come to rest flat against the inner back cover.  Binders with "D" rings, however, alleviate much of this sagging problem.

Then there are binders whose rings are mounted on the back cover of the binder. This makes it easier to load paper into the binder, plus the pages lie nearly flat. With center mounted rings, the pages will never lie completely flat.

I've also found that thinner binders with "packed" contents work better.  The tighter the pages, the more mass, hence the greater the force required to disturb anything - lying down or standing up.  Wide binders with a only few pages inside allow the pages to sag and flip-flop this way and that.

There are also "memory" boxes (sold at AC Moore, in the wedding stationery section of Staples, etc..)  I use these to store the WP billboards, etc. - basically those items that binders cannot reasonably accommodate.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 09:31:31 AM »
I don't think a D-Ring binder is a problem with thick newer cards, but for something like original series tan backs I would never use a binder.  It's much too easy for them to wind up warped or otherwise ruined.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 09:52:40 AM »
Paul_Maul

Just out of curiosity, what do you use for the originals?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:54:17 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 10:33:26 AM »
Paul_Maul

Just out of curiosity, what do you use for the originals?

Most of my keeper originals are PSA graded at this point, but prior to that I had them in penny sleeves and top loaders standing up in boxes.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 02:20:45 PM »
I don't think a D-Ring binder is a problem with thick newer cards, but for something like original series tan backs I would never use a binder.  It's much too easy for them to wind up warped or otherwise ruined.

I have my series 1-16 stored in the 1-16 Binders Topps sold us a few years ago. As stated, I have put a second newer card in the bottom three spots "Backing Up" the OS Card in the 9 pocket pages to hopefully keep them from getting warped/ damaged. I have never layed my binders flat. It sound like I am in the minority in that regard.   Thanks very much for the input.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 03:40:18 PM »
I have my series 1-16 stored in the 1-16 Binders Topps sold us a few years ago. As stated, I have put a second newer card in the bottom three spots "Backing Up" the OS Card in the 9 pocket pages to hopefully keep them from getting warped/ damaged. I have never layed my binders flat. It sound like I am in the minority in that regard.   Thanks very much for the input.

After trying out the NSU binders years ago, I moved my 1-16 to an UltraPro binder, laid flat.  However, I took Series 1 and 16 out of the binder years ago.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 06:00:58 PM »
I have my 1-16 tossed loosely in a cigar box with a crappy rubber band keeping it closed. Good enough.      LOL

Seriously, I have 'em in the 4 NSU binders in Ultra Pro 9-card pages, with all die-cuts and rarer cards also in penny sleeves. I haven't noticed any issues in the 15+ years of doing this. The binders are not laid flat, to me that's not necessary.

Offline Beanball

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 10:48:47 AM »
I have my 1-16 tossed loosely in a cigar box with a crappy rubber band keeping it closed. Good enough.      LOL

Seriously, I have 'em in the 4 NSU binders in Ultra Pro 9-card pages, with all die-cuts and rarer cards also in penny sleeves. I haven't noticed any issues in the 15+ years of doing this. The binders are not laid flat, to me that's not necessary.
Rubber band and I thought that I was the only one. Funny.
No seriously.  I keep my Ans in d binders flat. And Os in penny and card holders standing up.