Author Topic: Wacky digibles on FAcebook - what's the deal?  (Read 11855 times)

Offline crackedjerk

Wacky digibles on FAcebook - what's the deal?
« on: July 23, 2010, 08:14:37 AM »
As I know many others of you have done, I've become a fan of Wackys on Facebook.  What I don't understand is the digibles on that page.  Every day apparently one is given away free, but I guess I don't know how to "access" it.  Would the image show up on my Facebook page?  Would it exist somewhere else in cyberspace?  I know I'm not a complete computer illiterate, but I'm feeling that way when it comes to these digible thingys.

Taz

Re: Wacky digibles on FAcebook - what's the deal?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 08:23:52 AM »
As I know many others of you have done, I've become a fan of Wackys on Facebook.  What I don't understand is the digibles on that page.  Every day apparently one is given away free, but I guess I don't know how to "access" it.  Would the image show up on my Facebook page?  Would it exist somewhere else in cyberspace?  I know I'm not a complete computer illiterate, but I'm feeling that way when it comes to these digible thingys.

Go here:http://apps.facebook.com/topps-wackypackages/
Go through all the wacky digible pages radio buttons at the bottom, select the one that is offered free for the day, select the "Get It" tab and you should be set!  Make sure when you select the "Get It" tab that the credits show "0" that way you can tell it's free from Topps.  They are only good one per day, Monday through Friday.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:29:18 AM by Taz »

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 08:50:21 AM »
And today there are two digibles since yesterday's had a glitch and wasn't showing up for free.  Yesterday's was Chef Girl-R-Dee and today's is Pupsi.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:33:12 AM »
It keeps asking me for permission. I hit accept and it doesn't take it. I have no idea what these are.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 10:40:33 AM »
It keeps asking me for permission. I hit accept and it doesn't take it. I have no idea what these are.
Are these just high quality downloadable images?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Taz

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 11:01:31 AM »

They are made to be items you can share with your Facebook friends.  They are actually mini versions of specific wacky packages.  Normally you buy credits to buy digibles or game pieces to send as gifts to your Facebook friends but Topps came out and started giving one wacky digible per day Monday thru Friday away for free as a countdown to the release of Series 7.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 11:33:08 AM »
Go here:http://apps.facebook.com/topps-wackypackages/
Go through all the wacky digible pages radio buttons at the bottom, select the one that is offered free for the day, select the "Get It" tab and you should be set!  Make sure when you select the "Get It" tab that the credits show "0" that way you can tell it's free from Topps.  They are only good one per day, Monday through Friday.

Thanks, Taz.  What's still confusing to me is where does it go once I "get it"?  I just got one for myself and sent one to a friend, but I don't see where these are turning up.  Should I see it when I go to my own Facebook page? 

For what it's worth, I was apparently given 15 (or is it 150) "bonus points" (or whatever they're called) so now I can get some additional ones for free and not be able to see them. :o

Taz

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 11:36:20 AM »
Thanks, Taz.  What's still confusing to me is where does it go once I "get it"?  I just got one for myself and sent one to a friend, but I don't see where these are turning up.  Should I see it when I go to my own Facebook page? 

For what it's worth, I was apparently given 15 (or is it 150) "bonus points" (or whatever they're called) so now I can get some additional ones for free and not be able to see them. :o
Under the link I gave you, when it takes you to that wacky packages page you'll see some tabs near the top.  Look for the tab called "My Digibles" the ones you have downloaded are in there.

Taz

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 11:38:46 AM »
BTW, if anyone can spare a "Rice a Phoni" digible let me know, I missed the first day digible and that was the one.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 11:44:48 AM »
Under the link I gave you, when it takes you to that wacky packages page you'll see some tabs near the top.  Look for the tab called "My Digibles" the ones you have downloaded are in there.

Thanks!  I guess perhaps what I'm confused about now is kinda what's the point of these things.  I'd love to have them posted on my Facebook page as a way to show them off or whatever.  However, if they're just going to be buried in my own page that only I can see, well, I guess I'm just too old to want that.  Don't get me wrong, I'll probably still download the free ones, but the allure of these escapes me.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 01:35:28 PM »
BTW, if anyone can spare a "Rice a Phoni" digible let me know, I missed the first day digible and that was the one.

I've been working hard trying to find you a Phoni...

Taz

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 02:48:20 PM »
I've been working hard trying to find you a Phoni...
Thanks John! I have a call out on FB as well.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 07:23:25 PM »
The Wacky Digibles on Facebook started out as something only tabgentially connected to Wacky Packages as we know them. Check out Brent Engstrom's blog for original Digibles that he came up for the first version of the application:

http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com/2010/02/wacky-digibles.html

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 09:38:32 PM »
The Wacky Digibles on Facebook started out as something only tabgentially connected to Wacky Packages as we know them. Check out Brent Engstrom's blog for original Digibles that he came up for the first version of the application:

http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com/2010/02/wacky-digibles.html

I don't know why I am having so many problems with these Facebook apps. I clicked on his link to add them and it said invalid link. He has some good ones too!

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 06:56:46 PM »
I missed out on Wormy Packages yesterday.
anyone have one to share?

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 07:03:31 PM »
I missed out on Wormy Packages yesterday.
anyone have one to share?

I didn't see any as being available yesterday???

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 08:01:41 PM »
I didn't see any as being available yesterday???
I didn't think I missed yesterday's, but somehow it went Slam Jim, Wormy, My-T-Fink. I got SJ and My-T, but missed Wormy

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 09:24:47 PM »
I still dont fully understand the digibles.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 10:02:23 PM »
I still dont fully understand the digibles.
I am with you, I am not sure why someone can't simply answer the question, what are they?  Are they simply digital images of wackys that are offered one per day that you can download or are they something else?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 10:18:36 PM »
I am with you, I am not sure why someone can't simply answer the question, what are they?  Are they simply digital images of wackys that are offered one per day that you can download or are they something else?

It's been explained several times... But yeah, basically what you said.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 10:22:46 PM »
Are they simply digital images of wackys that are offered one per day that you can download or are they something else?

Yes.....

jk  I have no idea what they are either.....
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 11:00:19 PM »
It's been explained several times... But yeah, basically what you said.

I think what had me confused is whether or not they can be used outside of Facebook.  I don't use Facebook, but it would be cool if the images could be shared here.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 03:13:26 AM »
I think what had me confused is whether or not they can be used outside of Facebook.  I don't use Facebook, but it would be cool if the images could be shared here.

They can't be exported per se outside of the Facebook application.  Basically you can either pick up the free image per day OR purchase some (if you are impatient) with "credits" - not sure where those come from.  In any case, they are nothing more than the images we all know and love and have seen in the stickers, books, etc.  Nothing special.  Just another one of those FB kinds of things where you can collect stuff.  You could probably save the JPG to your hard drive though, for whatever that is worth.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:57:39 AM by Crakola Crayons »
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 05:30:18 AM »
They can't be used/shared outside of the Facebook application.  Basically you can either pick up the free image per day OR purchase some (if you are impatient) with "credits" - not sure where those come from.  In any case, they are nothing more than the images we all know and love and have seen in the stickers, books, etc.  Nothing special.  Just another one of those FB kinds of things where you can collect stuff.

Why couldn't you save them to your facebook photos and then transfer them to your computer?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 08:42:07 AM »
Why couldn't you save them to your facebook photos and then transfer them to your computer?

You can right click on them and do a save-as to get the JPG on your computer.  I did just that.  Here's the one for Beastball, for example.  As you'll see, nothing out of the ordinary about them.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 09:48:22 AM »
You can right click on them and do a save-as to get the JPG on your computer.  I did just that.  Here's the one for Beastball, for example.  As you'll see, nothing out of the ordinary about them.

Are they ripping these off from Greg's site?  ;D

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 09:52:27 AM »
Are they ripping these off from Greg's site?  ;D

Given that the application appears to be endorsed by Topps (could even be administered by Topps - not sure at the moment), I would gather they are getting the images from the same source that was used for the recent hardcover books.

They don't seem to have Greg's tell-tale drop shadow though.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 09:57:38 AM »
Given that the application appears to be endorsed by Topps (could even be administered by Topps - not sure at the moment), I would gather they are getting the images from the same source that was used for the recent hardcover books.

They don't seem to have Greg's tell-tale drop shadow though.
Nah, I was kidding. You can tell these are art scans because there's no printing dots.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 10:06:44 AM »
Digibles are "virtual goods" which kind of only makes sense if you're invested in the social network. As virtual communities become more prevalent and immersive I think this stuff will be more commonplace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_good

"Virtual goods are non-physical objects that are purchased for use in online communities or online games. They have no intrinsic value and, by definition, are intangible. Virtual goods include such things as digital gifts and digital clothing for avatars.

Virtual goods may be classified as services instead of goods and are sold by companies that operate social networks, community sites, or online games. Sales of virtual goods are sometimes referred to as microtransactions."

I think what had me confused is whether or not they can be used outside of Facebook.  I don't use Facebook, but it would be cool if the images could be shared here.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 10:50:36 AM »

That's a pretty clear image!  And it's not Greg's custom shadowed version, so if I use it I won't be stealing (I think?).  I've been wanting a nice clear thumbnail size Wacky for mailing labels - RawGoo is my goal, but Cap'n Crud or Awful Bits would be awesome, and Wormy Packages would be cool, too.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 11:22:59 AM »
That's a pretty clear image!  And it's not Greg's custom shadowed version, so if I use it I won't be stealing (I think?).  I've been wanting a nice clear thumbnail size Wacky for mailing labels - RawGoo is my goal, but Cap'n Crud or Awful Bits would be awesome, and Wormy Packages would be cool, too.

They don't have every title at this point.  I don't recall seeing most of those you mentioned - except Wormy Packages which was the freebie earlier this week.  I just started "collecting" these.  They have a freebie a day on Monday through Friday (none on weekends).

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 03:11:06 PM »
FYI - there are currently 50 digible Wackys available on Facebook.  RawGoo, Cap'n Crud and Awful Bits are not in the current 50 titles.  Neither is Crakola Crayons. :(

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 01:06:48 AM »
FYI - there are currently 50 digible Wackys available on Facebook.  RawGoo, Cap'n Crud and Awful Bits are not in the current 50 titles.  Neither is Crakola Crayons. :(

I still don't get it either. There is nothing special about these images. Why not upload your own? I guess I still don't fully understand facebook and twitter.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2010, 01:14:44 AM »
I still don't get it either. There is nothing special about these images. Why not upload your own? I guess I still don't fully understand facebook and twitter.
The images seemed very crisp to me, much better than I could do myself with a scanner.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, 01:19:36 AM »
The images seemed very crisp to me, much better than I could do myself with a scanner.

Are you on the social sites?

anything