Author Topic: Baked Bear's "Wordy" Ideas  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Baked Bears

Re: Baked Bear's "Wordy" Ideas
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2017, 06:48:25 PM »
Christmas possibility...

"Grinch's Sloppy Snow Mix"  (Parody of "French's Sloppy Joe Mix".) 

Packet of "Sloppy Snow Mix" with a smiling, lip-curling Grinch in upper right side.  Below is a large burger bun with heaps of white/gray "mall snow" (mixed with asst. pieces of "trash": spiders, garlic bulbs, termites, a seasick crocodile, black bananas with greasy black peels, etc.) tumbling out on to the table.  Max, with a grin, is walking away from the tumbled snow having just added yet another color, yellow.  (Perhaps the Grinch could be driving a snowplow with the large sandwich being pushed by the curved blade.)

"Cruel Look!  Same Great Whoville Taste!"

"Made with Whoville Mall Parking Lot Snow"

"Queasoning Mix"

« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 03:58:06 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2017, 06:01:35 PM »
Christmas possibility...

"Dumped Inside Snow-Pile Frosty"  (Parody of "Duncan Hines Home-Style Frosting".)

Lower left side of can features "Frosty the Snowman" being spread by a butter knife as if he was vanilla cake frosting.  One half of his face is distorted and smeared across the label - stretched eyeball, mouth, etc. - similar to some of the horrors in John Carpenter's "The Thing."  Over on the right hand side, the little, white magician's rabbit is tightly pulling down on ears as he watches on in horror.  (Eliminate the large word "creamy" so the word "Frosty" can be larger.)

"Classic Vanilla & Coal"

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:26:21 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2017, 07:17:40 AM »

More or less, most of the things one would find in a newspaper.

It's an interesting idea.  I'm also not a fan of the Wacky world morphing into politics and all other sorts of non-product items.  In fact, I kinda didn't like it when Topps did magazines, a football, Decay toothpaste (not a parody of a real product) back in the 70's.  I like to think of Wackys as parodies of household products (yes, I know magazines fit that bill, but maybe the fact that one series had so many while others had none, or virtually none, bothered me a bit).  But if there was a spin-off line that focused on the categories you listed (ie, those things you might see in a newspaper), that could be its own success and leave Wackys to parody household items.  I don't know, "Nutty Newspapers" or something like that.  I guess Crazy Covers has been taken, so that's out ;)

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2017, 06:46:54 PM »
It's an interesting idea.  I'm also not a fan of the Wacky world morphing into politics and all other sorts of non-product items.  In fact, I kinda didn't like it when Topps did magazines, a football, Decay toothpaste (not a parody of a real product) back in the 70's.  I like to think of Wackys as parodies of household products (yes, I know magazines fit that bill, but maybe the fact that one series had so many while others had none, or virtually none, bothered me a bit).  But if there was a spin-off line that focused on the categories you listed (ie, those things you might see in a newspaper), that could be its own success and leave Wackys to parody household items.  I don't know, "Nutty Newspapers" or something like that.  I guess Crazy Covers has been taken, so that's out ;)

I wasn't too crazy about the magazines, either.  Mind, I appreciate many of them.  At the time, though, it seemed like too much, too fast.  Seemed too skewed, like a sudden and severe intrusion.  Perhaps they should have been spread out over 4 or 5 sets.  Kind of like, hypothetically speaking, if OS6 were released only for us to discover that half of the titles were service station motor oils of the 70s.

"Nutty Newspapers" sounds good.  Or maybe just "Nutty News" (so as not to limit such a series to strictly newspapers.)

I've been mulling over this idea about a spin-off line for a while, yet kept coming up against one particular obstacle: What would make such a series distinctive from other series, yet cohesive enough to allow it to stand on it's own (besides the news parodies/satires theme?)  It would have to feature characters/artwork that are instantly recognizable, yet also unique. 

And then I saw this:

Back in the day, GPK were spawned from one, lone title - and what a success they became.  And now, I truly believe, in my heart of hearts, that the "Turfs" could be just as successful in the new millennium. 

1)  They are unique, like weird little lawn gnomes.  They definitely stand apart from Wacky and GPK characters.
2)  They are instantly recognizable.  Just as GPK are recognizable with their soft, pudgy features - even as Trump, Mariah Carey, a cat, or a gingerbread man - so, too, are the Turfs, with their green skin, Mickey Mouse hands, oversized heads, and big ears, eyes, and noses.
3)  They are malleable.  With a few alterations to their features, they could literally be anyone.
4)  Being parodies of the Smurfs, they bring with them a sense of the familiar, a sense of nostalgia.
5)  They are new.

Aside from the product parodies, the Turfs could have been surrogates for any of the WP/GPK political/social character satires we've seen of late.  And even then, they could have stood in for many of the products as well, especially the made up products.

Overall, I believe there is real possibility and potential here for a brand new series.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 07:29:07 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2017, 11:14:12 AM »
Christmas possibility...

The Little Jammin' Boy('s All-Star Concert)  (Parody of "The Little Drummer Boy".)

Cover of DVD case features Aaron, the little drummer boy, in the center with a punk mohawk, piercings, and chains.  A gothic cross is tattooed on his arm.  Other musicians surround him, both in the background and foreground.  Bing Crosby with stylish top hat and tails.  David Bowie with glam makeup and attire.  Joshua the camel, wearing dark sunglasses and a fedora, stands playing an upright bass.  Samson the donkey, with 80s metal band long hair, wields an electric guitar, and Baba the lamb has Kiss makeup.  Essentially, the band is a hodgepodge of musical eras.

Featured songs:
   - The Times They Are A Changin'
   - Bang the Drum all Day
   - Rock the Casbah
   - Amazing Grace
   - Jingle Bells, Batman Smells

Well, not a lamb.  But you get the idea.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:18:07 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2017, 08:21:49 PM »
Christmas possibility...

Six Ton Fruit Cake  (Parody of "Claxton Fruit Cake".)

See thru portion of the box features a petrified fruit cake.  Among the red, yellow, and green pieces of fruit are fossilized trilobites, ammonites, and possibly a small dinosaur skull.  Instead of horses on the label, two small woolly mammoths are pulling the buggy.  A cave man sits behind the reins, while a saber-toothed cat hangs its head outside of the buggy window (like a dog going for a ride in a car.)

"A Prehistoric Tradition"
"Very Old Fashion"
"Irregular"
"Baked during the ice age according to a famous old neanderthal recipe."
"Net Wt. 6 Tons"
"Free (rock) pick included!"

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 04:52:18 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2017, 04:51:47 PM »
Old School possibility...

Draw "Crappy" Matchbook  (Parody of Draw "Spunky" Matchbook.)

(I realize this is not a "product" in the sense of the types of products that so many Wackys have parodied, however I believe it was very iconic enough in its time.)

Two matchbooks:  One open, revealing inside cover and matches, the second closed, laying slightly askew on top of the first.  The cover of the closed matchbook depicts the rough, sketched head of a goofy, idiotic dog, "Crappy," (or possibly the head of the "Pupsi" dog) along with the phrase, "Draw 'Crappy'."  The top spine of the matchbook states, "Fake Art Talent Contest / See Inside."

The second, open matchbook contains bent, beat up matches.  The inside, upper cover features a partial entry form which states something to the effect of: "Hey, dumb kids!  Draw 'Crappy' and win a fake art talent scholarship!  A rewarding and prosperous career as a Wacky Packages illustrator awaits you!  No cost or obligation (for now.)  Art Destruction, Inc."

Perhaps the entry form could already be filled out in a child's scrawl, such as: Jay Patrick Lynch, Age 10, Belmar, NJ, etc..

Being only half of the entry form is revealed, the trick would be to show pertinent phrases so the reader is able to infer the remainder of the text.  (Or perhaps some of the matches could be torn out, thereby allowing for some additional text to be seen.)

Note: If the "Pupsi" dog was used, I'd change the matchbook to state, "Draw 'Pupsy'," the implication being that young Master Lynch "borrowed" one of his more recognized creations from Art Instruction, Inc..

You'll notice that these characters always had "cutesy" names ending in "y."

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 02:37:00 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2017, 05:30:05 PM »
While researching the aforementioned matchbooks, I happened to stumble across this:

Ah, the creative things people will do to while away the time...

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2017, 07:56:07 PM »
I was toying about with an idea for a hypothetical subset (which I'll post later,) and got to thinking about the sepia sets.  At first they were unique, something new and novel.  Now, however, to me at least, they are getting a bit old.  On top of that, sepia is, well, kind of boring and oftentimes takes away from a Wacky's "pizzazz."  Seriously, with some Wackys, sepia does far more damage than good.  Along with all of the other traits that make a Wacky a Wacky, color is also a crucial component.  Simply put, Wackys are meant to be colorful.

I can easily see how, once upon a time, somebody at Topps was playing around with scans in a computer and clicked on the "sepia" button in an art program to see what would happen.  And yes, I'm sure it looked different and cool at the time.  But as I mentioned, it has grown somewhat old as of late.  And every single series does not have to be rendered in sepia.

I would suggest playing around with some different buttons, instead.  It would be just as easy.  Why not create a set of "Un-Wackys" by clicking on the "negative" button.  I'm sure it would produce some interesting results.  Or how about "Warhol-in' on Wackys?"  Mini subsets of four identical titles, yet rendered in different color schemes?  Kind of like what Campbell's did a few years back. 

Just a suggestion.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2017, 02:27:40 PM »

XXX-Rated Spex or XXX-Ray Spex  (Parody of "X-Ray Spex.")

Package contains a pair of "XXX-Rated Spex," the "lenses" of which feature red spirals.  Above the glasses is a crazed, drooling man gawking at a dancing hippo (or pig) clad in a sheer tutu (similar to Hyacinth Hippo in Disney's "Fantasia") whose torso is illuminated in his yellow field of "x-ray" vision.

- See bones thru blubber!
- See tummies thru tutus!

- Annoying XXX-Rated Vision - Guaranteed!

- The Infamous Painfully Horrifying Illusion

(The drooling man reminds me of a similar sex-crazed man that Norm Saunders painted long ago for a certain "adults only" title.)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 04:00:05 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2017, 07:11:29 PM »

(Ouch! That) Smarts! (Parody of "Jarts" Missile Game.)

Box features family playing with lawn darts.

In the foreground (by the closer ring,) a worried dog is chasing its own hindquarters in a frantic attempt to grab the lawn dart sticking out just above its tail.  Other lawn darts are embedded in the ground around him.  (Perhaps the dog could be a bull terrier with a ring around its eye - like the "Target" dog.)

In the background by the second ring, a wickedly smiling mom is in the process of tossing another lawn dart. Dad is hopping about on one foot while simultaneously holding his other raised foot which has a dart protruding from it.  Comic "stars" of pain emanate from the injury.  And instead of sporting a pig tail and ribbon, little, smiling, oblivious Sally has a red lawn dart protruding from her head.  (Or perhaps two lawn darts - like bunny ears or weird martian antennae.)

The tip of the large lawn dart featured in the center of the box could have a malicious "shark" eye and mouthful of teeth painted on it (similar to the faces painted on bombs and warplanes of yesteryear.)

- Ouch! That Smarts!

- A "Whoops! I Missed!" Game

- An outdoor gamble for the family!

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 08:59:32 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2017, 12:00:14 PM »
Possibility...

"Briars (Black Raspberry Choke-a-Lot) I Scream" (Parody of "Breyers (Black Raspberry Chocolate) Ice Cream.")

Tub features a mound of ice cream enwrapped in raspberries and brambles.  Perched atop the mound is a makeshift, whipped cream "baby" with a maraschino cherry on its head.  Stuck in the mound, as if it were quicksand, a hapless Br'er Rabbit struggles frantically to free himself from the sticky mess, while from behind the mound, Br'er Fox watches on with evident wide-eyed glee.

Raspberries and thorny vines are also intertwined through the "Briars" letters, from which perch a couple of happy bluebirds with musical notes emanating from their open beaks.  Beyond the ice cream mound (as if the mound were a hill,) an anthropomorphic sun smiles down upon the entire scene.  If trees were included, they could also have smiling faces, along with a smiling opossum family hanging upside down by their tails.  Basically, everyone is happy and carefree, save for Br'er Rabbit.

- Along the bottom of the tub is a wavy line of text with tiny musical notes:  "My, oh, my, what a $#@% day!"

- "New Hare-Raising Recipe!"

- "Good Old-Fashioned Satisfactual Favorite of Country Critters (or Varmints)!"*

* Excluding rabbits!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:28:42 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2017, 07:16:04 PM »
Christmas possibility...

"Krampus's Wooden Pine Scar Soap"  (Parody of "Grandpa's Wonder Pine Tar Soap.")

Box features the horned, half-goat/half-demon Krampus of Alpine origin.  If soap is also featured (either resting at the base of the box or protruding from it,) the bar would be splintered wood.  Not random splinters sticking out here and there, but rather a mass of splinters - as if someone had snapped the wood in half - but not quite.  (The splinters would have to be nasty enough that one would wince if imagining applying the bar to one's hands or face.)

To make the parody more "festive," a sprig of pine needles and cones could also be added, either as part of the package design or resting at the base of the box.  (IMO, contrasting the "innocent" side-by-side with the "wicked," somehow makes the wicked all that much worse.)

- "Splatters White and Red"  (The word "red" could be written in a dripping, crimson (blood) font.)

- "For Misbehaved Children"

- "Gruss vom Krampus!"  ("Greetings from Krampus!")

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2017, 06:34:59 PM »
"Wicked Packages" Possibility...

"Pubic Street Soap"  (Parody of "Paper Street Soap."  From the film "Fight Club.")

(Normally I post these ideas for anyone who might be interested.  However, just like film directors who envision a specific actor in a role, I envision Smokin' Joe as the artist for this parody.)

Paper wrapper around soap bar depicts two "angels" pummeling each other from either side of the basin.  Face receiving a blow is exaggeratedly squished in, loose teeth flying through air, etc..

- "Pubic Street Soap Co."

- "Approved by Fight Clubs nationwide."

- "Works great on blood stains!  No lye!"

- "Tyler Foreskin"

And an actual quote:

- "I am Jack's erection's best friend!"

It would be up to Smokin' Joe to somehow work a subliminal phallus into the artwork, however I am more than confidant in his creative and artistic abilities.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:39:46 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2017, 09:37:24 AM »
Christmas possibility...

"Sprites"  (Parody of "Sprite.")

Parody features a green bottle of "Sprites" soft drink. Two dozen or so tiny, winged sprites are depicted on the label, flying round the bottle, escaping from the top of the bottle, and either crouched inside or sitting along the rim of the overturned cap resting at the base of the bottle.  The lemon-lime logo could be a slightly tilted glass ball Christmas tree ornament.

(I wouldn't feature any characters submerged in liquid - such as the case of "Log Cave In" or "Gutterade." In fact, I would suggest that the bottle doesn't contain any liquid at all.  Think rather a jar of fireflies.  The overall "feeling" with this parody is to feature too many sprites for comfort, similar to a swarm of insects, harmless, yet soon inevitably proving bothersome by virtue of their sheer number, like so many gnats.)

- "Christmas-Time Soda"  (Lemon-Lime Soda)

- "Unleash Your Yuletide Spirits!"

(Note: The sprites wouldn't have to necessarily resemble these particular adult sprites. I just happened to like their "Christmas-like" red, green, and gold wings.)

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2017, 02:43:24 PM »
[quote
(Note: The sprites wouldn't have to necessarily resemble these particular adult sprites. I just happened to like their "Christmas-like" red, green, and gold wings.)

RIGHT. Let's go with that!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
Subset possibility...

Wacky Packages "Bio-goofies"  (Play on the word "biography.")

A "then and now" set featuring WP characters as they once were - and what they eventually became.

A small set of select "Original Series" cards.  The front of the card features the original WP, save for the traditional copyright information.  Instead, a single year (the copyright year) is represented in a large font centered at the bottom of the card.  The reverse of the card features a rendition of the figure depicted on the front of the card, now older, however, along with a later year represented on the bottom.

For example, "Bum Beans" is the title represented on the front, along with the year it was released, 1974.  The back of the card features the same "bum," though now dressed to the hilt (with a pocket watch chain, etc.) standing in his corporate president's office.  Flanking him on either side are two large, framed pictures on the wall.  The first features a jar of "Bum Beans."  Below it is a green bill and the words, "My first million dollars."  The second picture is a portrait of the dog from the front of the card.  Below the dog's face are the words, "My Faithful Companion."  At the bum/president's feet, though, is a bunch of rollicking, tumbling puppies colored similarly to the dog in the portrait (the implication being that the pups are the dog's great-great grandchildren.) The bum/president could be holding one, while another could be lapping beans from a food bowl on the floor.  (The original dog may have passed away, but its grandchildren remain best friends with its master.)  The date at the bottom of the illustration could be 1994, twenty years later.  In essence, the card depicts a rags-to-riches story.

I would suggest not actually having any written explanation of what transpired over the years, but rather let the illustration itself tell the story using only a bare, minimal number of words.

Additional titles could be:

"Mrs. Klean / 1973" - "Heavy Weight Champion (Rendered as a souvenir photograph keepsake.) / 1980"

"Ajerx /1973" - "45th President of the United States / 2017" (Sporting a reddish/orange comb-over.)

"Run Tony / 1973" - "Boss Tony (Rendered as a framed, family snapshot.) / 2000" (Looking very much like the actor James Gandolfini.)

"Swiss Mess / 1974" - "4H Winner (Rendered as an amateur, off-centered photograph.) / 1977" (Standing alongside prize hog.)

"Delinquent Spinach / 1974" - "Prison Warden (Rendered as a commissioned portrait.) / 2004"  (Balding, yet still sporting sideburns.)

"Pupsi-Cola Dog / 1974" - "Dog - as Artist feverishly drawing. (Rendered as a black and white sketch.) / 2017"  (With a thought balloon coming from dog's head stating,"Posterity shall surely remember me for this particular card."
(Note: Obviously this a reference and homage to Mr. Jay Lynch.)

"Tortarillo Baby / 1975" - "Cowboy (Rendered as an advertisement.) / 1999" (Marlboro Man exhaling "puffs" of cattle, horses, bison, rattlesnakes, cougars, etc.)
(Note: 1999 was the last year the Marlboro Man was featured in advertisements.)

"Copperbone skeleton / 1976" - "Grateful Dead tour poster / 1995" (Dancing, orange skeleton with top hat along with smaller dancing bears.)
(Note: 1995 was the year Jerry Garcia passed away.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:57:46 PM by Baked Bears »

anything