Author Topic: Baked Bears' "Wordy" Packages  (Read 7939 times)

BustedFinger and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Baked Bears

Baked Bears' "Wordy" Packages
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2017, 07:11:33 AM »
"Old School" possibility...

"K-Smell's Musick Explosion"  (Parody of nearly any "K-Tel" album from the 70s - advertisements of which would consistently interrupt my cartoon viewing after school.)

Album cover features lettering with streaks of color emanating from a white toilet bowl (bottom middle.)  Portrait caricatures of 70s artists (Elton John with glasses, etc.) are depicted inside half a dozen circles.

"As Featured Ad Nauseam on TV!"

"20 Overplayed Hits!  20 Overhyped Stars!"

"Featuring:
- Fool & The Gang
- Barf-In-Toilet Overdrive
- The Captain and Toenail
- Andy Gibberish
- Bay City Dumpsters
- Sister Sludge
- Three Dog Bites
- Elton Junk
- Sewage and Cher
- Landfill Vocal Band
- Barry Cantaloupe
... And Too Much More!"

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:56:27 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2017, 08:39:49 AM »
"Old School" possibility...

"Spine VS Spine" Book (Parody of the "Spy VS Spy" paperback books.)

Book cover features the White and Black Spies' skeletal remains below ground resting in coffins (in a "see inside" exposed view.)  Above ground, a sign reads "Veteran's Cemetery."  Two respective headstones are engraved "Black Spy" and "White Spy." Two coiled wires criss-cross through the wormy earth to either coffin. Bundled sticks of dynamite are buried alongside both, and both Spies' skeletal hands are perpetually resting on the handles of detonators - at least for a little while longer.

"RIP"  (Instead of "MAD," yet written in the same font.)  The yellow border of the book could be the gray outline of a stone tombstone (with small cracks.)

"The Over-The-Hill 89th Senile File On..."

"By Postmortem"

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2017, 08:42:33 AM »
Both great ideas and would be good for Old School if done properly.

"Musik Explosion" could even work for the CD set, (Don't remember the name)
Mark

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2017, 09:21:27 AM »
Yes, many albums and movies of the 70s (and 80s) have been reissued on CD and DVD respectively.  And there's so many that still stand up today; They've become classics and are part of our culture.  One would be hard pressed to find somebody that hasn't heard of "Star Wars," "Jaws," "Saturday Night Fever," and "Thriller," to name but a few, and yet Wackys have usually shied away from these for the most part.  Really don't know why.  Even "Avatar" and "Titanic" - two of the highest grossing films of all time - have never been parodied.  Strange...

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2017, 02:36:00 PM »
Possibility...

"Tush Puppies" Shoes (Parody of "Hush Puppies" Shoes.)

Shoe box top depicts basset hound sitting upright, with his back toward the viewer (so we can see his tail and butt.)  Its head is turned toward the viewer, however, as it looks knowingly over its shoulder and smiles (in that certain way that dogs sometimes do.)  Alongside the dog's hind quarters is a large dollop of brown poo, half of which has been squished by a shoe.  The shoe's tread marks are clearly imprinted in the flattened portion.  (Brown shoe prints can also be leading away from the poo.)  Laying in the foreground alongside the front side of the shoe box is a section of broken twig (with a maybe a few small leaves at one end.)

"Comes with FREE Scraping Stick!"

Offline bigtomi

• Go Yanks! Everybody give them a thumbs down!
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2017, 03:17:19 PM »
"Musik Explosion" could even work for the CD set, (Don't remember the name)
Silly CDs?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2017, 03:23:37 PM »
Silly CDs?

Yes, thanks for clarifying what set I was mentioning.
Mark

Online mikecho

« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2017, 04:28:05 PM »
Yes, many albums and movies of the 70s (and 80s) have been reissued on CD and DVD respectively.  And there's so many that still stand up today; They've become classics and are part of our culture.  One would be hard pressed to find somebody that hasn't heard of "Star Wars," "Jaws," "Saturday Night Fever," and "Thriller," to name but a few, and yet Wackys have usually shied away from these for the most part.  Really don't know why.  Even "Avatar" and "Titanic" - two of the highest grossing films of all time - have never been parodied.  Strange...
Actually, IIRC, Avatar was supposed to have been done as "Avatart" in the ANS8 subset Wacky Packages Go to the Movies, but was never done at all. Another one for that subset that was also never done was Iron Man as "Ironed Man". BTW, does anyone know why these two never made it? Was it a C&D, or what?

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2017, 07:39:46 PM »
Actually, IIRC, Avatar was supposed to have been done as "Avatart" in the ANS8 subset Wacky Packages Go to the Movies, but was never done at all. Another one for that subset that was also never done was Iron Man as "Ironed Man". BTW, does anyone know why these two never made it? Was it a C&D, or what?

Never knew that about Avatar.  Interesting piece of information.  Have the "Ironed Man," though.

And, yes, Silly CDs were cool, but they weren't Wackys.

It just seems, as if almost a rule, that Wackys tend to shy away from music and movies (and I'll even add in books, but not magazines) - especially in the Original Series.  Don't get me wrong, I know some were made.  Aside from the "Gums" book, though, I don't believe any of the three aforementioned genres were parodied during the original run.

It wasn't until 1991 that we saw the first movie parody, "Bambo," the first music parody (albeit indirect, as I believe all of them still are to date,) "Nude Kids on the Block," and a few more books.  It wasn't until the advent of the All New Series, though, that we began to see these particular genre parodies in any substantial numbers (and even so, the numbers still aren't very substantial.)

I'm just curious as to why not?  Because movies, music, and books aren't "kid oriented?"  But hundreds are.  Besides, we had "Bloodweiser," "Virginia Slums," and "Playbug" which were most definitely NOT kid oriented.   Because movies, music, and books are not "consumable items" or "supermarket items?"  But then and again, most of the toys aren't consumable or supermarket items, either.  Because movies, music, and books aren't "instantly recognizable?"  Yet again, a lot are, though.

I really don't know the answer to this.

I just think it's a shame, though, because movies, music, and books are rich veins just waiting to be mined - and yet they really aren't - not to their full potential, anyway.  Granted, we've seen more of them in Wackys recently - especially movies and books - but so, so many were also passed over.  C&Ds could be a reason, though this would only partially explain things.  The Disney "behemoth" could be a factor - even a large factor - yet Disney doesn't own Avatar, Cloudy with Meatballs, or the James Bond franchise.  And as far as music goes, there has never been a Wacky direct album (record/cd/cassette) parody - not one in 50 years!  (And for at least half of that time, album covers leapt off the shelf at you everywhere you went - malls, nearly every department store, etc..)  You have to admit, this is somewhat odd.

Like I said, it's a shame.

Crap!  Even Kermit's shackled to Disney, too!  Oh, well!

Online mikecho

« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2017, 09:25:17 AM »
Never knew that about Avatar.  Interesting piece of information.  Have the "Ironed Man," though.

It just seems, as if almost a rule, that Wackys tend to shy away from music and movies (and I'll even add in books, but not magazines) - especially in the Original Series.  Don't get me wrong, I know some were made.  Aside from the "Gums" book, though, I don't believe any of the three aforementioned genres were parodied during the original run.

It wasn't until 1991 that we saw the first movie parody, "Bambo," the first music parody (albeit indirect, as I believe all of them still are to date,) "Nude Kids on the Block," and a few more books.  It wasn't until the advent of the All New Series, though, that we began to see these particular genre parodies in any substantial numbers (and even so, the numbers still aren't very substantial.)

I'm just curious as to why not?  Because movies, music, and books aren't "kid oriented?"  But hundreds are.  Besides, we had "Bloodweiser," "Virginia Slums," and "Playbug" which were most definitely NOT kid oriented.   Because movies, music, and books are not "consumable items" or "supermarket items?"  But then and again, most of the toys aren't consumable or supermarket items, either.  Because movies, music, and books aren't "instantly recognizable?"  Yet again, a lot are, though.

I really don't know the answer to this.

I just think it's a shame, though, because movies, music, and books are rich veins just waiting to be mined - and yet they really aren't - not to their full potential, anyway.  Granted, we've seen more of them in Wackys recently - especially movies and books - but so, so many were also passed over.  C&Ds could be a reason, though this would only partially explain things.  The Disney "behemoth" could be a factor - even a large factor - yet Disney doesn't own Avatar, Cloudy with Meatballs, or the James Bond franchise.  And as far as music goes, there has never been a Wacky direct album (record/cd/cassette) parody - not one in 50 years!  (And for at least half of that time, album covers leapt off the shelf at you everywhere you went - malls, nearly every department store, etc..)  You have to admit, this is somewhat odd.

Like I said, it's a shame.

Crap!  Even Kermit's shackled to Disney, too!  Oh, well!
Actually, one CD was spoofed-in ANS9. It was Lady Gaga-Born This Way (as Lady Gag Me-Why Sing This Way?) And, of course, Topps would've put The Clodfather in the 15th series, but we all know how that turned out. They gave in to the Italian-American community that had previously complained about Run Tony in the 2nd series and, as a result, it still hasn't been officially published. They could possibly release it now (maybe as an OLDS sticker) but, so far, nothing.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:35:01 AM by mikecho »

Offline sco(o)t

• Happy 50th Birthday, Wackies!
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2017, 01:26:15 PM »
Actually, one CD was spoofed-in ANS9. It was Lady Gaga-Born This Way (as Lady Gag Me-Why Sing This Way?) And, of course, Topps would've put The Clodfather in the 15th series, but we all know how that turned out. They gave in to the Italian-American community that had previously complained about Run Tony in the 2nd series and, as a result, it still hasn't been officially published. They could possibly release it now (maybe as an OLDS sticker) but, so far, nothing.

A cease and desist order from Procter and Gamble is one thing, but a "cease or deceased" order from the Mafia is quite another.  ;)
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline bigtomi

• Go Yanks! Everybody give them a thumbs down!
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2017, 02:30:21 PM »
I will respectfully disagree, as they are parodies of packaging, IMHO. Granted, they didn't have the exact same look/feel, but....

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2017, 03:44:09 PM »

Yeah, you're right about Lady Gaga.  (Wasn't that impressed, though, mainly because I'm that not impressed by her - which, in all honesty, is probably why I forgot about it.  And she made it into the Wacky roster three different times?)  Nevertheless, one album in 50 years?

I don't quite get it about the Clodfather, though.  There's nothing really offensive at all about that sticker, to Italian-Americans or otherwise.  Perhaps some found the movie offensive, yet the sticker is making a mockery of the movie.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 03:46:54 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2017, 03:48:02 PM »
A cease and desist order from Procter and Gamble is one thing, but a "cease or deceased" order from the Mafia is quite another.  ;)

You have a valid point!  (Good pun, by the way!)

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2017, 04:28:34 PM »
I will respectfully disagree, as they are parodies of packaging, IMHO. Granted, they didn't have the exact same look/feel, but....

Respect your opinion, BigTomi, but Silly CDs aren't Wackys, though.  They're psuedo-Wackys.  Just like Cereal Killers aren't Wackys.  As you stated, Silly CDs don't have the same look/feel.  Some also don't parody the original LP cover, they weren't produced by Topps, and they don't bear the "Wacky" name.  Don't get me wrong.  I appreciate all three series.  Yet even though Silly CDs don't have the exact same Wacky look/feel, however I must admit, they have more of the Wacky look/feel than some of the ______ (insert epithet) Wackys that were previously issued thus year!

(IMO, Silly CDs would have been better if they had just featured the actual cd on the front, and placed the Silly CDs logo on the back.)

This still brings me back to my original question, though.  Why, for the longest time, did Topps shy away from movies, music, and books?  The only commonality I can see is that they are all "media" (for lack of a better word) related.  And yet, Topps parodied magazines.  Someone, sometime, made a decision.  I am just curious as to the reasoning behind that decision - and why that decision, in part, still remains today?  Like I said in a post or two above this: One album parody in 50 years?  (Silly CDs aside, which Topps didn't produce.)  Perhaps Jay Lynch could have shed some light on this?  We'll miss him in more ways than one.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 06:10:11 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2017, 05:21:05 PM »
The magazines were originally intended to be part of a separate series. When that was scrapped, they were used in series 11-14.

Online mikecho

« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2017, 10:28:45 PM »
Yeah, you're right about Lady Gaga.  (Wasn't that impressed, though, mainly because I'm that not impressed by her - which, in all honesty, is probably why I forgot about it.  And she made it into the Wacky roster three different times?)  Nevertheless, one album in 50 years?

I don't quite get it about the Clodfather, though.  There's nothing really offensive at all about that sticker, to Italian-Americans or otherwise.  Perhaps some found the movie offensive, yet the sticker is making a mockery of the movie.
Back in the 1970s, from what I've heard, the Italian-American community semi-officially denied the Mafia's very existence (or at least didn't want to believe it existed). The first two Godfather films were not particularly appreciated by them at that time. They probably didn't want to be reminded of something that was (at least) a source of shame to them or (at most) not to be made angry by them.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:34:42 PM by mikecho »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2017, 06:53:02 AM »
The magazines were originally intended to be part of a separate series. When that was scrapped, they were used in series 11-14.

True, competitively following in the wake of Crazy Covers.  (As an aside, it's interesting to follow the evolution of Wackys.) 

Just a thought:  Perhaps Topps never pursued the movie angle because 1) VHS tapes weren't manufactured until the late seventies, thus no packaging to parody, and 2) MAD Magazine already had the blockbuster movie angle well covered.

If I dig deeper inside myself, I guess my real feelings/thoughts behind all of this doesn't necessarily have to do with a "why" question, but more of an "if only" or "I wish" type of thing.

If only Topps had parodied "The Exorcist" ("The T-Rexorcist" - with a tyrannosaur standing beneath the lamplight) or "Saturday Night Fever" ("Saturday Night Beaver" with a beaver on the dance floor.)  A few parodies that "might have been," yet, through a series of circumstance, probably never will be.  Perhaps Old School?  The first as a book and the second as an LP?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2017, 07:35:18 AM »
True, competitively following in the wake of Crazy Covers.  (As an aside, it's interesting to follow the evolution of Wackys.) 

Just a thought:  Perhaps Topps never pursued the movie angle because 1) VHS tapes weren't manufactured until the late seventies, thus no packaging to parody, and 2) MAD Magazine already had the blockbuster movie angle well covered.

If I dig deeper inside myself, I guess my real feelings/thoughts behind all of this doesn't necessarily have to do with a "why" question, but more of an "if only" or "I wish" type of thing.

If only Topps had parodied "The Exorcist" ("The T-Rexorcist" - with a tyrannosaur standing beneath the lamplight) or "Saturday Night Fever" ("Saturday Night Beaver" with a beaver on the dance floor.)  A few parodies that "might have been," yet, through a series of circumstance, probably never will be.  Perhaps Old School?  The first as a book and the second as an LP?

I just don't think movies are well suited to wackys. The movie itself is ripe for parody (covered by Mad) but there really isn't packaging per se.

« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2017, 09:55:09 AM »
And, of course, Topps would've put The Clodfather in the 15th series, but we all know how that turned out. They gave in to the Italian-American community that had previously complained about Run Tony in the 2nd series and, as a result, it still hasn't been officially published.
To me, that story is entirely apocryphal, and just as absurd as the one about Fool-Aid being pulled from the 12th series because the set had too many green titles in it already.
Take it with a large grain of your favorite Wacky salt.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2017, 10:32:04 AM »
I just don't think movies are well suited to wackys. The movie itself is ripe for parody (covered by Mad) but there really isn't packaging per se.

Mmmm...  I kind of see your point.  Personally, back in the day, I didn't think a lot of the magazines were well suited to Wackys, either - though some stood out.

As largely a contributor of ideas to the forum, I often find myself hard-pressed (as I frustratingly try my best) to come up with iconic products that have never been parodied before.  In the beginning, the world was Wackys' oyster.  C&Ds aside, everything was up for grabs.  As the original series went on, though, I believe the number of iconic titles per set became less and less, the most familiar products having been snatched up first.  (Perhaps, this might explain, in part, their demise?)

With the advent of the ANS, many newer products had become available for parody - such as Skittles, for example - that were both popular and on their way to achieving iconic status (if they hadn't reached it already.)  In addition, many products that were parodied before could be parodied again, refreshed, as they were, after a decades long hiatus.  But then the same thing happened again.  The really popular products were initially parodied, leaving many (though not necessarily all) less popular products for the later series.  To be honest, some of the later ANS parodies I didn't even get at first, their respective products being largely unfamiliar to me and not exactly "jumping off of the supermarket shelves."  And how many times can one parody, say, Frosted Flakes?  It begins to get old and stale.  It begins to diminish the overall integrity of Wackys in general.  (Of course, there are many other reasons Wackys have been on (what I personally feel) is a bumpy decline.  A quick glance at other threads - "Jumping the Shark" being the most recent, for example - can attest to this.)

Although I may not like it, I can understand why Topps veered toward made up products.  Even though there may be 10,000 different products on the supermarket shelves, only a percentage are iconic.  And of these, most have already been parodied.  Besides peas, one could also parody Green Giant cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, carrots, spinach, etc., but what would be the point?  Talk about getting old and stale fast.

I can't speak for others, but I've come to the conclusion that, among other things, Wackys have to be iconic and instantly recognizable.  Zing!  An instant connection.  That's why I lean toward something like "Saturday Night Fever."  One can instantly picture John Travolta attired in white doing that disco stance on the colored floor.  I suppose that such a parody wouldn't be traditional in the sense of other Wackys, insofar as being an "old friend" seen week after week in the supermarket, kitchen, and dinner table.  But I think it has potential - a certain familiarity and appeal - perhaps even more so, say, than a soon-to-be-dated, made up, or less familiar product.

All in all, I'm just trying to search around inside a cow that has been largely being milked dry for the past fifty years.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed, however.  OS and Halloween are just around the corner, and I'm sure a few delightful surprises still await.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:54:42 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2017, 10:44:15 AM »
To me, that story is entirely apocryphal, and just as absurd as the one about Fool-Aid being pulled from the 12th series because the set had too many green titles in it already.

I never heard the one about Fool-Aid.

Not trying to sound sarcastic, Patrick (so please don't take it that way,) but rather just asking straight out: How would you explain Clodfather and Fool-Aid?  My interest is now piqued, and Moron Salt just isn't going to cut it.

(As I mentioned earlier, it's a shame Jay - and some others - are no longer with us to ask for a definitive Wacky history.  Just as in the case of my grandparents' passing, so many questions have arisen that I never even thought to ask - and will never have the opportunity to ask.)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:46:43 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2017, 11:04:51 AM »
To anyone...

Just out of curiosity, does Topps now make it a legal practice to ask (seek permission from) corporations in advance about future parodies to avoid even the possibility of C&Ds?  I would assume so (though such a practice would be an awful lot of work,) but I am really not sure.  The last Wackys pulled were back in 1991, yes?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:10:35 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2017, 11:59:56 AM »
To anyone...

Just out of curiosity, does Topps now make it a legal practice to ask (seek permission from) corporations in advance about future parodies to avoid even the possibility of C&Ds?  I would assume so (though such a practice would be an awful lot of work,) but I am really not sure.  The last Wackys pulled were back in 1991, yes?

I don't know the answer but  would be very surprised if they do ask for permission, for the very reason you indicated... too much work and expense. I think we don't see C&D orders much any more, hopefully because most companies nowadays can laugh at themselves, but probably for the less enlightened, more recent  marketing opinion that any publicity is good publicity.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »
Mmmm...  I kind of see your point.  Personally, back in the day, I didn't think a lot of the magazines were well suited to Wackys, either - though some stood out.

As largely a contributor of ideas to the forum, I often find myself hard-pressed (as I frustratingly try my best) to come up with iconic products that have never been parodied before.  In the beginning, the world was Wackys' oyster.  C&Ds aside, everything was up for grabs.  As the original series went on, though, I believe the number of iconic titles per set became less and less, the most familiar products having been snatched up first.  (Perhaps, this might explain, in part, their demise?)

With the advent of the ANS, many newer products had become available for parody - such as Skittles, for example - that were both popular and on their way to achieving iconic status (if they hadn't reached it already.)  In addition, many products that were parodied before could be parodied again, refreshed, as they were, after a decades long hiatus.  But then the same thing happened again.  The really popular products were initially parodied, leaving many (though not necessarily all) less popular products for the later series.  To be honest, some of the later ANS parodies I didn't even get at first, their respective products being largely unfamiliar to me and not exactly "jumping off of the supermarket shelves."  And how many times can one parody, say, Frosted Flakes?  It begins to get old and stale.  It begins to diminish the overall integrity of Wackys in general.  (Of course, there are many other reasons Wackys have been on (what I personally feel) is a bumpy decline.  A quick glance at other threads - "Jumping the Shark" being the most recent, for example - can attest to this.)

Although I may not like it, I can understand why Topps veered toward made up products.  Even though there may be 10,000 different products on the supermarket shelves, only a percentage are iconic.  And of these, most have already been parodied.  Besides peas, one could also parody Green Giant cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, carrots, spinach, etc., but what would be the point?  Talk about getting old and stale fast.

I can't speak for others, but I've come to the conclusion that, among other things, Wackys have to be iconic and instantly recognizable.  Zing!  An instant connection.  That's why I lean toward something like "Saturday Night Fever."  One can instantly picture John Travolta attired in white doing that disco stance on the colored floor.  I suppose that such a parody wouldn't be traditional in the sense of other Wackys, insofar as being an "old friend" seen week after week in the supermarket, kitchen, and dinner table.  But I think it has potential - a certain familiarity and appeal - perhaps even more so, say, than a soon-to-be-dated, made up, or less familiar product.

All in all, I'm just trying to search around inside a cow that has been largely being milked dry for the past fifty years.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed, however.  OS and Halloween are just around the corner, and I'm sure a few delightful surprises still await.

Just some related thoughts along these lines... Movie posters may be a better candidate for parody than the VHS or DVD packaging, but less of a fit with Wacky Packages. I think the good examples of movie and book Wackies we have seen over the year parody very iconic images, like GUMS/JAWS, for example. The same simple, but attention getting graphic, was  used on many releases of the book and the film.  Truly memorable movie posters come around very infrequently to break the monotony of face montages that many movie posters employ where they want to make sure they hit you over the head with who is in the film.  I think one of the important decisions made early on associated with the HARRY POTTER books and films was the use of a perhaps not original, but very identifiable font to set it apart. I think it would be much more difficult to put together a set of movie poster parodies than cereals for example.

Online mikecho

« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2017, 12:20:34 PM »
I got the story from lostwackys.com and just looked it up to make sure. When I did, I found out that there was also a second reason for its being pulled-that kids might not have been familiar with The Godfather. But, I have been told many times that the information on that site should be taken with more than a shakerful of salt, so I can see where you're coming from, Patrick. However, I've also gotten the rejected names for old and new Wackys on the Master Spreadsheet from that site's Lost Wackys section (even though it stopped at ANS6 and I wish that it would be updated beyond that) based on the rough and finished art in the same section, so I guess it's not all bad.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2017, 12:31:37 PM »
I got the story from lostwackys.com and just looked it up to make sure. When I did, I found out that there was also a second reason for its being pulled-that kids might not have been familiar with The Godfather. But, I have been told many times that the information on that site should be taken with more than a shakerful of salt, so I can see where you're coming from, Patrick. However, I've also gotten the rejected names for old and new Wackys on the Master Spreadsheet from that site's Lost Wackys section (even though it stopped at ANS6 and I wish that it would be updated beyond that) based on the rough and finished art in the same section, so I guess it's not all bad.

I don't think the 2nd explanation holds much water either. I was about 13 when THE GODFATHER was released in 1972. Although too young to see the movie, it was such a large pop culture phenomenon, you couldn't help know about it. It was on the news, in magazines, prominently displayed in bookstores, parodied in MAD and CRACKED, etc.  I remember hearing my parents talking to other adults about it. No kid worth their salt will let all that attention escape without notice.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2017, 05:40:03 PM »
Just some related thoughts along these lines... Movie posters may be a better candidate for parody than the VHS or DVD packaging, but less of a fit with Wacky Packages. I think the good examples of movie and book Wackies we have seen over the year parody very iconic images, like GUMS/JAWS, for example. The same simple, but attention getting graphic, was  used on many releases of the book and the film.  Truly memorable movie posters come around very infrequently to break the monotony of face montages that many movie posters employ where they want to make sure they hit you over the head with who is in the film.  I think one of the important decisions made early on associated with the HARRY POTTER books and films was the use of a perhaps not original, but very identifiable font to set it apart. I think it would be much more difficult to put together a set of movie poster parodies than cereals for example.

I'm not suggesting that movies would be a cure-all for Wackys - and nor did you suggest or even imply that.  They might be a helpful boost, though, an added spice.  If one were to tap into the older movies which are now available on Blu-Ray, I believe one might find enough to at least make a substantial set (though I'd personally rather see them spread throughout Wacky sets.  But, hey, if they made a decent movie set, I would probably purchase it, just like Silly CDs.)  Like you said about Harry Potter and that particular font, or movies with iconic images like "Jaws," there are other movie case covers and/or posters out there that also ring of familiarity.  As mentioned, there are the Bond films.  (Hey, I would even buy a complete set of those if they were done decently!)  There are also the Alien and Indiana Jones franchises, both having distinct fonts, as does Star Wars.  (Though I don't know if Indy belongs to Disney or not.)  And although you're right about many movie posters featuring the lead actor, there are some that do, yet are also iconic at the same time.  Jack Nicholson in The Shining or Arnold wearing shades in The Terminator, being two good examples.  Also Jodie Foster with the moth on her mouth in Silence of the Lambs.  And then there are the Universal monsters (a few of which have been previously featured in Wackys already.)  As previously mentioned, the silhouette of the priest beneath the lamplight in The Exorcist is also iconic.  The Thing, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Titanic, King Kong (the original,) The Usual Suspects, Jurassic Park, Dirty Harry, Gone with the Wind, Ghostbusters, Rocky, Home Alone, Shrek, and ET would also be good candidates.  Granted, those are all not as friendly-familiar as, say, a bottle of Coke or box of Cocoa Puffs, but if you saw them, you would instantly recognize them.

Perhaps I bordering on blasphemy, but I'd just like to see something different and original (but not made up products,) something refreshing and invigorating, something that lights a fire under my feet and makes me take notice, not just more cereal.  Besides, the thought of another cereal set - particularly like the one that came out in the 50th Anniversary series, if that's the road Topps is determined to take - causes me anxiety and grief even thinking about it.  (Seriously.  As I am thinking about it now, something uneasy is stirring inside of me.)  I think we can all look forward to OS6 and Neil's Halloween Pack O' Fun and and be pleasantly surprised and satisfied when we receive our deliveries.  As to the next regular series, though...  Well, I for one, am worried.  Kind of like opening a can of assorted nuts, all of the while expecting a long snake - made of poo - to spring out.  And that's just not the way things should be.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:40:03 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2017, 07:40:24 PM »
Possibility...

"Honey Top (or Slop)" Ice Cream (Parody of "Halo Top" Ice Cream.)

Ice cream carton features gold rimmed lid with globs of honey dripping off and running down the sides.  Angry, mutant bees (with exaggerated stingers) are everywhere: crawling across the lid and container and flying about.  Two or three other stylized bees (rendered in one color) are also crawling on the scoop of ice cream (also rendered in one color) depicted in the center of the container.

"320 Killer Bees (Per Pint)"

"Good Source of Pain"

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:35:02 AM by Baked Bears »

« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2017, 07:35:03 AM »
I got the story from lostwackys.com and just looked it up to make sure.
Right, and even there, Rusty doesn't keep his story straight regarding Run Tony
On the Clodfather page, he makes the very bold statement "dropped due to the Italian-American outrage over Run-Tony"
but then on the Run Tony page, there's just a rather timid "Rumor says ... (it) was pulled because it showed Italian-Americans in a bad light".

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2017, 12:11:58 PM »
The more I think about the Run Tony Italian thing, the less I believe it. Would a company who had become so enlightened about ethnic sensitivity have run with Rotsa Root?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2017, 12:20:03 PM »
I'm half Italian and I'm offended by this one    :^)

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »
I'm half Italian and I'm offended by this one    :^)

(Image removed from quote.)

Jean Nutty,  please excuse my lack of understanding, but I have to ask, "Why?"  I thought "greasers" - such as Elvis Presley and characters in S. E. Hinton's "The Outsiders - could be of varied ethnicity, so long as they had the greased back hair look?

I have heard the term "greasy" used towards Italian-Americans in a derogatory way.  (I even think Senator Geary used the term - or something similar - in The Godfather 2 in reference to the Corleone family and Italian-Americans in general.)  But I really don't believe that this Wacky is using the term "greaser" in such a way, but rather just making a reference to auto mechanics from yesteryear.

Here is a snippet from the "greasers" Wikipedia entry:

The word "greaser" originated in the 19th century in the United States as a derogatory label for poor laborers, specifically those of Mexican descent. The term was later used to refer to mechanics. It wasn't used in writing to refer to the American subculture of the mid-20th century until the mid-1960s, though in this sense it still evoked a pejorative connotation and a relation to machine work. The name was applied to members of the subculture because of their characteristic greased-back hair.

I think "Castro Motor Oil," "Rotsa Rot" (as Paul Maul pointed out,) and even, to a degree, "Run Tony" would be more offensive than "Greaser's Pieces."  When you look at "Greaser's Pieces," every tagline is aimed specifically at auto mechanics, nothing else.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 04:58:48 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2017, 06:33:49 PM »
Possibility...

"Kitty Snack" Mice Pudding  (Parody of "Kozy Shack" Rice Pudding.)

Right hand side of tub features mice playing in bowl of pudding (poking their heads up, sitting on the rim, and whatnot) along with a few "raisins."  (Perhaps they could also have a beach umbrella and beach ball?)  On the left hand side, a sneaky cat is peeking around the tub as one outstretched, clawed paw stealthily inches toward the mice.  In lieu of the crudely drawn cinnamon, milk, and rice, there is a carton of milk, mouse, and 2 or 3 "raisins."  Peeking above the cat's head, just visible between its ears, is another mouse (to which the cat is oblivious.)

"Made With Simpleton, Halfwit Rodents"

"Cinnamon and 'Raisin' Mice Pudding"

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2017, 11:27:24 PM »

Jean Nutty,  please excuse my lack of understanding, but I have to ask, "Why?"

Darn it, I was afraid someone might take me seriously!

But, regarding the definition you posted, "greasers" did have a pejorative connotation.

anything