Author Topic: Unusual promo set  (Read 3773 times)

Offline Lavirus

Unusual promo set
« on: January 29, 2017, 12:37:45 PM »
Anyone know the back story about these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROMO-CARDS-SET-of-14-TOPPS-ONLINE-WACKY-PACKAGES-CREATE-YOUR-OWN-Set-2007-/162370576967?hash=item25ce0a6247:g:dj0AAOSwNnRYiBdZ

Here's the text:
14 Different "CREATE YOUR OWN CARD" WACKY PACKAGES STICKERS card set. These are HIGH-GLOSSED Cards, not stickers. These were only available through an offer from the Topps ONLINE STORE. The set of cards come with a 15th card, a SHOPTOPPS header card and comes with a folded letter from Topps that was sent to you with the set.

Not being familiar with the original offer, I am not sure if these cards were personalized in any way when they were made (judging by the "Create Your Own" tagline, they might have been). I bought these in a larger collection of Promo Cards from a private collection & do not have any further information about them. They are pictured both front & back. The card fronts are:
Cap'n Crud, Tacky Packages, Cannibal's, Drool-Aid, Froot Cops!, Skip-It, Plastered, Cryola, Ratz, Hollywood Nobodies, Garbage Pail Geezers, Dukin' Donuts, Gadzooka & Burn'ems Animals.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Unusual promo set
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 12:57:46 PM »
I have a set of the 14 with the default backs, as pictured in the ebay auction, but no 15th card or Topps letter. 

Some of these titles were definitely also done with custom backs - I have at least 5, including Cap'n Crud, Plastered Peanuts, Gadzooka, Dukin' Donuts, and Burn 'Ems.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 02:24:06 PM »
The 15th title is Dracs Coffin Cakes. If I remember right, these were originally advertised as Wacky business cards that could be customized.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 04:26:39 PM »
I have one that a website, Happy Jack Collectibles made as a promo card.  I keep it with my other ANS promos since Topps didn't do an official one for ANS 5.  The printing is poor and it's laminated.  I would guess it's early PoD technology before digital printing took over.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:57:04 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 08:53:31 AM »
Speaking of Happy Jack Collectibles promo, it's up on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225236007539

Does anyone know the story behind this? Was this a bootleg or did Topps give their blessing?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2023, 10:53:24 AM »
Mitch, I think it’s exactly what Neil said it was a Shop Topps “Create a Card” release in which you could customize the back and pick (out of available designs) the Wacky you wanted on the front.  So Happy Jack did up 250 of them for customers.  So it’s a Happy Jack promo card printed by Topps but not an official Wacky Promo card or a bootleg.

anything