Author Topic: Looking for Daffy Patches  (Read 9894 times)

Offline quas

Looking for Daffy Patches
« on: January 25, 2017, 09:20:43 AM »
Anyone have Daffy Patches for sale?

There was a lot of 5 of them that just sold on ebay in a Buy It Now for a great price (I missed it!). If any Forum member was the purchaser of that lot, I'd sure love to get in touch with you to talk to you about it.

Please PM me. Thanks! Marc

Marc

Offline Mr._Stubble

Re: Looking for Daffy Patches
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 08:47:15 AM »
I do Marc. 

Have you ever seen Wacky Patches in the Daffy Patches packages?  If I recall, I have one Daffy Patches sealed card that has multiple patches inside too.

I can see what I have this evening.

Melski

Offline Kook

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 11:01:52 AM »
I do Marc. 

Have you ever seen Wacky Patches in the Daffy Patches packages?  If I recall, I have one Daffy Patches sealed card that has multiple patches inside too.

Melski

Hi Melski,
Those sound interesting. If you can, please post a scan/pic. Thanks

Offline quas

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 11:35:25 AM »
I do Marc. 

Melski

Thanks Melski!  I look forward to seeing!
Marc

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 12:21:28 PM »
I believe these are test patches because of the paper backings and the Grave Trains have the thicker lettering.

Anyone else seen these inside of Daffy Patches?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 01:56:34 PM »
I believe these are test patches because of the paper backings and the Grave Trains have the thicker lettering.

Anyone else seen these inside of Daffy Patches?

Sure looks like someone did some creative repackaging. A nice oddity.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 02:47:20 PM »
????

I bought these with a bunch of oddball cards about ten years ago, and I'm sure the seller knew nothing about these.  I can assure you that I haven't repackaged them if that's what you mean.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »
I can assure you that I haven't repackaged them if that's what you mean.
I'm certain that Scot was referring to someone doing it...and most likely, excluding you from that list. But, I may have my alternative facts wrong. :)

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 02:57:11 PM »
Ha!  I keep forgetting we are now living in multi and alternate universes too.

Must have been done at Three Fish Inc. in Georgia Tom, because the plastic is firmly in place.

;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 02:59:58 PM by Mr._Stubble »

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 11:46:39 AM »

>(

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 08:23:08 AM »
Sure looks like someone did some creative repackaging. A nice oddity.
What is the history of Daffy patches?  When did they come out and would there be any possible association to Wacky packages at all?  These packets with wacky packages make no sense.

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 11:13:10 AM »
I sure don't know much about them, nor am I a collector of the Wacky Patches.  You're guess is as good as mine to what is going on here. 

The copyright on them does say 1974 Three Fish Inc.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 12:29:59 PM »
I sure don't know much about them, nor am I a collector of the Wacky Patches.  You're guess is as good as mine to what is going on here. 

The copyright on them does say 1974 Three Fish Inc.

Just adding to the information already given. This was definitely a product trying to ride on the Wacky Packages success. There were 53 confirmed titles created and, based on several know variations of some titles, at least 2 runs were made of at least these variant titles. In some ways these patches were of higher quality, manufacture-wise, than the Wacky Packages were.  More of an embroidered patch. As mentioned, they show a 1974 copyright. Hard telling when they were actually designed. Even harder to tell whether Topps got wind of these and thought it a good idea or the other way around since both seem to be released the same year. 

Just my thoughts on the strange Wacky patches in the Daffy patches packaging... Over the years I have been in and out of possession of about 150 of the packaged Daffy patches. I have had several where the "blister" falls off fairly cleanly. I can see where someone could have done this quite convincingly if glued carefully, etc. I know of no commonality between the Wacky Packages and the Daffy packages in terms of manufacturer, packaging entity, etc. where this could have been done mistakenly. The Daffy patches were sold one patch per package so the appearance of two patches in one blister pack makes it's existence  even more suspiciously constructed.  It is a very cool conversation piece though. 

As bigtomi noted, I am not pointing the finger at any one in particular. Have you dusted for prints?  ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:35:50 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 01:19:04 PM »
Ah, very nice summation Scot.  Thanks!

The fingerprint assessments were negative; however the blood and semen results made me gasp.  There's also the DNA matches with probabilities of greater than 99.9%, but I'm too embarrassed to reveal the perpetrator.

That's probably why Marc isn't too interested in them.

Just kinda weird that there are two of them - and the same titles to boot.

Offline quas

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 01:27:34 PM »

The fingerprint assessments were negative; however the blood and semen results made me gasp.  There's also the DNA matches with probabilities of greater than 99.9%, but I'm too embarrassed to reveal the perpetrator.

Yeah, I'm not wild about blood-stained and semen-stained Wackies, Daffy Patches, whatever..........you got that right.

What is so interesting about these is the number of variations - color or otherwise.  I'll start posting some of these.
Marc

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 01:56:15 PM »
You sure about that?

I have been garnering a little more appreciation for these the last couple of days the more I look at them.  The thicker stitching around the borders and lettering gives them a cool 3-D effect. 

If these were re-packaged and the front plastic cover re-glued (which I don't think that has happened) of what benefit would that have been? 

I know kids do some things that defy logic.  I myself did the light socket thing (I did it with a butter knife) and the step-on-the-garden-rake thing.  I just don't understand this one if that indeed happened.  And if it did, it sure doesn't seem like the reason was about $$, because I got these two for practically nothing.  So that leads me to believe this wasn't done by the previous owner anyway. 

Ah who knows?  I guess if another turns up somewhere in the future, we know have precedence.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 04:56:23 PM »

Yes very weird indeed. Wouldn't it be great to know their story?

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 11:11:15 AM »
Darn tootin'.

Offline quas

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 09:31:45 AM »
Anyone have Daffy Patches for sale?

There was a lot of 5 of them that just sold on ebay in a Buy It Now for a great price (I missed it!). If any Forum member was the purchaser of that lot, I'd sure love to get in touch with you to talk to you about it.

Please PM me. Thanks! Marc

I managed to complete a "set" of these, with multiple variations to boot, but I'm ever on the lookout for additional variations.
Marc

anything