Author Topic: Wacky Welcome  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
Wacky Welcome
« on: May 14, 2020, 08:15:50 AM »

Hi all,

Just joined the forum (thanks RawGoo!) and wanted to introduce myself.

Mainly a comic collector but loved Wacky Packages as a kid in the late 70s and, after buying some of the newer stuff (ANS 10?) for a friend's son, found myself nostalgic for the long-gone stickers from my childhood. After a little research, I discovered they were actually the rerun series from 1979 and decided it would be cool to track down the originals.

Ended up buying some starter sets (a few complete series in EX+/NM condition) from wackypackages_dot_org on ebay. I also bought a couple of series 15 PSA 8 stickers from sadie20001 on ebay ($14 each) to hopefully educate myself on the difference between EX and NM cards so I can eventually upgrade some of the lower-grade stickers in those starter sets.

Feel free to send any wacky collecting advice my way - I am a total novice.

And do the members here store their stickers in simple penny sleeves or some other method? And is there a preference for raw or graded wackys?

Thanks!

Yubum (Sean)

Offline Baked Bears

Re: Wacky Welcome
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 12:17:52 PM »
Welcome to the Wacky Packages Forum!  Best of luck beginning your collection; It all depends how far you want to go, but there's a lot you can catch up on.  From what I've seen, most members here store their stickers in old shoe or cigar boxes.  I am above that though, and bind my vintage sets with rubber bands. 

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 12:18:59 PM »
Just kidding!  I store my stickers in 9-pocket sleeves in a few dozen binders.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 12:28:55 PM »
Hi all,

Just joined the forum (thanks RawGoo!) and wanted to introduce myself.

Mainly a comic collector but loved Wacky Packages as a kid in the late 70s and, after buying some of the newer stuff (ANS 10?) for a friend's son, found myself nostalgic for the long-gone stickers from my childhood. After a little research, I discovered they were actually the rerun series from 1979 and decided it would be cool to track down the originals.

Ended up buying some starter sets (a few complete series in EX+/NM condition) from wackypackages_dot_org on ebay. I also bought a couple of series 15 PSA 8 stickers from sadie20001 on ebay ($14 each) to hopefully educate myself on the difference between EX and NM cards so I can eventually upgrade some of the lower-grade stickers in those starter sets.

Feel free to send any wacky collecting advice my way - I am a total novice.

And do the members here store their stickers in simple penny sleeves or some other method? And is there a preference for raw or graded wackys?

Thanks!

Yubum (Sean)

Welcome aboard! I share your interests! 🙂

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 12:30:44 PM »
 Welcome to the forum, Great to have You! I store my wacky's anyway I can because it's an addition.  I have wayyyyyyy too many but yet I find that I am still buying more :-\  But life is short so way not! This is a good place to read up on wacky"s so you can go Pro and feel free to ask questions, someone on the forum may have an opinion ;D

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 12:33:06 PM »
By the way, I store raw wackys in top loader/penny sleeve, but have also been working on graded sets for most of the original series and die cuts. I much prefer PSA graded cards over CGC graded comics, as I don’t feel comics are well suited to encapsulation. Resto check is nice, but since most of the comics I collect are not keys I usually crack them out.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 12:54:15 PM »
Hey, I've got a damn nice copy of Hulk 181, too.  8)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 01:25:34 PM »
Hey, I've got a damn nice copy of Hulk 181, too.  8)

👍🏻👍🏻😁

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 01:47:29 PM »
By the way, I store raw wackys in top loader/penny sleeve, but have also been working on graded sets for most of the original series and die cuts. I much prefer PSA graded cards over CGC graded comics, as I don’t feel comics are well suited to encapsulation. Resto check is nice, but since most of the comics I collect are not keys I usually crack them out.

Thanks for the info and the warm welcome (from all). Your Hulk #181 is a lot nicer than mine. I believe I also saw your handle on the PSA registry.

As far as graded wacky package stickers go, there seems to be a significant disparity between supply and demand on eBay. For example, I noted x16 Blecch Shampoo stickers for sale, ranging from $13 to $140 (some of them listed there for years), and only one recent sale. Are most wacky collectors submitting their own stickers to PSA, or is there simply a very small pool of collectors who actually pursue the graded card/sticker sets?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 02:16:55 PM »
Thanks for the info and the warm welcome (from all). Your Hulk #181 is a lot nicer than mine. I believe I also saw your handle on the PSA registry.

As far as graded wacky package stickers go, there seems to be a significant disparity between supply and demand on eBay. For example, I noted x16 Blecch Shampoo stickers for sale, ranging from $13 to $140 (some of them listed there for years), and only one recent sale. Are most wacky collectors submitting their own stickers to PSA, or is there simply a very small pool of collectors who actually pursue the graded card/sticker sets?

There is a pretty small pool. I collected high grade wackys for a dozen years before submitting anything to PSA.  I mostly ended up submitting because of the tremendous added value should they need to be sold. The registry is fun, but for the 7 years I’ve been participating there was never any chance of being on top for any of the sets, so I never really viewed it competitively.

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 02:23:01 PM »
There is a pretty small pool. I collected high grade wackys for a dozen years before submitting anything to PSA.  I mostly ended up submitting because of the tremendous added value should they need to be sold. The registry is fun, but for the 7 years I’ve been participating there was never any chance of being on top for any of the sets, so I never really viewed it competitively.

I noticed gogtter recently retired all his sets so there should soon be lots of room at the top!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 02:45:33 PM »
I noticed gogtter recently retired all his sets so there should soon be lots of room at the top!

I have raw Wackys, and graded sets.  I particularly like having die cuts and Ads encapsulated, as I figure the perfs are less likely to pop once they are sealed up.  Many of my graded stickers were purchased in two large lots, but some of my best were ones that Paul_Maul submitted for me. 

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 02:57:09 PM »
Welcome! You'll find lots of good people here, all willing to help.
Brian Mc

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 03:21:51 PM »
I have raw Wackys, and graded sets.  I particularly like having die cuts and Ads encapsulated, as I figure the perfs are less likely to pop once they are sealed up.  Many of my graded stickers were purchased in two large lots, but some of my best were ones that Paul_Maul submitted for me.

All the raw Wackys I have (about 125 stickers) were purchased in one sale from Greg Grant (wackypackages_dot_org) via eBay. They are a mix of EX/NM cards (according to Greg) with the later series looking nicer. I will have to learn to tell an EX from a NM and a graded 8 from a 9 for when/if the day comes that I decide to submit my own cards.

Is eBay the best (only?) place to buy raw and/or graded wackys? Or are there other venues?

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 03:25:49 PM »
Welcome aboard! I share your interests! 🙂

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
Yeah yeah! Do you HAVE to keep rubbing that in my face! Love that copy of HULK 181 !!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2020, 03:40:04 PM »

Is eBay the best (only?) place to buy raw and/or graded wackys? Or are there other venues?

Depends what you want.  Many of us here have some extras of raw sets and puzzles, and even extras of PSA Wackys.  And, you save ebay fees.  But, if you're hoping to find a raw die cut variation, or something like that, you will probably do better with random bulk lots on ebay.

The "Philly" show in Allentown is a great place to meet people and buy/trade Wackys, but the spring show was cancelled because of covid-19, and who know whether the fall show will meet the same fate.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 03:41:45 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 03:49:29 PM »
Depends what you want.  Many of us here have some extras of raw sets and puzzles, and even extras of PSA Wackys.  And, you save ebay fees.  But, if you're hoping to find a raw die cut variation, or something like that, you will probably do better with random bulk lots on ebay.

The "Philly" show in Allentown is a great place to meet people and buy/trade Wackys, but the spring show was cancelled because of covid-19, and who know whether the fall show will meet the same fate.

I don't even know what a raw die cut variation is...lots to learn! Once I sort through the sets I've just bought I'll have a better idea of what stickers I'm hoping to upgrade. And I would like to get into collecting graded PSA Wackys (I have two so far - both PSA 8 15th series). I will have to keep an eye on the For Sale section of the forum. Thanks!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2020, 03:52:38 PM »
I don't even know what a raw die cut variation is...lots to learn! Once I sort through the sets I've just bought I'll have a better idea of what stickers I'm hoping to upgrade. And I would like to get into collecting graded PSA Wackys (I have two so far - both PSA 8 15th series). I will have to keep an eye on the For Sale section of the forum. Thanks!

Oh, the fun you have in front of you!  What I was referring to was that 1967 die cut titles had number variations for some titles.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2020, 03:58:39 PM »
Also, it is really no longer cost effective to do a lot of submitting to PSA. Up until a few years ago, there were monthly PSA specials where you could pay maybe $5.50 per card. That is gone forever. Now the absolute cheapest rate is $9 (if you submit over 100 cards) Or $10 (if you submit over 50 cards). The turnaround time on these is months. Less than fifty cards you’re looking at $20 a pop. So not really worth it anymore unless you have something of significant value.

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 04:24:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Yubum

Coming across ANS packs in a Dollar Store a few years ago rekindled my interest in Wacky Packages which I collected as a kid.

There are very knowledgeable members here that you can learn a lot from. Have fun 

anything