Author Topic: Jay Lynch's Health  (Read 13607 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Jay Lynch's Health
« on: December 09, 2016, 02:01:24 PM »
Greg Grant just contacted me. He has been in contact with Jay and he's evidently suffering from terminal cancer. He's physically limited at this point and not in good shape financially. While Jay did not solicit assistance, Greg suggested that a donation would be very helpful to Jay during this difficult time. Also, Jay is unable to type due to his condition and probably will not be able to correspond.

If anyone is so inclined his PayPal address is:

jaylynch@mindspring.com

Very sad to hear this news about a founding member of the wacky brotherhood.

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: Jay Lynch's Health
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 02:45:12 PM »
Oh no...

I don't know if he can read this, but..
I sincerely want you to get better Mr. Lynch.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:39:56 PM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 03:17:55 PM »
Mr lynch, please get better soon.

We love you and your work.

Pauly

Online Swiski

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 04:06:44 PM »
Oh no! Terminal cancer doesn't sound good. Pray for a Christmas miracle!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 04:19:33 PM »
Dave, thanks for letting us know. Sorry to hear that a Wacky Icon is not doing well. We may not be able to do anything for his physical health, but maybe if some of us send him a little something we can at least improve his financial health.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 05:03:49 PM »
I noticed Jay was logged on here and on this thread about 20 minutes ago.

Sending you caring & compassion right now Jay. Thoughts and prayers are with you. We're all family around here. 

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 06:09:40 AM »
Jay,

We all love you and the tireless efforts of love you have provided to us through your works.....

PRAYERS for you and your family

Richard

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 11:27:27 AM »
Jay,

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Andrew

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 12:22:19 PM »
Jay. Sorry to hear about your situation. You've entertained  us for a long time. I will say a prayer for you. Peace be with you. John

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 11:50:54 AM »
Jay is the classiest dude in Wackys.  The time he spent hanging out with some of us Wacky collectors ("Wacky", the cards, and "wacky", the personalities) during the 1997 Chicago show was amazing.  He invited us to his house, showed us stacks of unseen artistic treasures from Topps' history from his archives, and was so generous with his time. 

How many celebrities or artists would trust a bunch of fans like that, or take the time to hang out with them like a bunch of friends, unselfishly?  Plus, he's been so involved in the historical research and posting on the forums.  So cool.

Jay... our thoughts are with you, buddy.  You've gotta kick this and get back to creating the laughter we all dig.  Every time we see and laugh at a Wacky, we think of you, man.  Get well soon!!!
(Scott - from California, in the pre-ANS days)

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 03:03:22 PM »
My thoughts and prayers are with you Jay.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 07:23:56 PM »
Suggestion:

Perhaps one of the artists - Neil, Joe, Fred, perhaps? - could make a trading card of Jay with a few of his Wacky creations/characters gathered around his legs like children (which they are) and possibly a cat or other animal on his shoulder - and then sell the cards for $9.99 apiece, with all proceeds going to Jay? 

It would be a decent gesture if Topps, themselves, did this, however I do not think this would be likely.  Being we, however, are all being gouged, I mean, spending $9.99 apiece for the Trump election Wackys, we could all most certainly purchase one the "Jay" cards as well for the same price.

Please put me down for one.  If the going price is more, fine, I have no complaint.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 09:41:38 PM »
Suggestion:

Perhaps one of the artists - Neil, Joe, Fred, perhaps? - could make a trading card of Jay with a few of his Wacky creations/characters gathered around his legs like children (which they are) and possibly a cat or other animal on his shoulder - and then sell the cards for $9.99 apiece, with all proceeds going to Jay? 

It would be a decent gesture if Topps, themselves, did this, however I do not think this would be likely.  Being we, however, are all being gouged, I mean, spending $9.99 apiece for the Trump election Wackys, we could all most certainly purchase one the "Jay" cards as well for the same price.

Please put me down for one.  If the going price is more, fine, I have no complaint.

I will contact Topps Monday morning and see if they would be into doing something. Jay was a big part of GPK as well so the WP and GPK fans can all get behind this.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 07:34:16 AM »
Thank you.

I believe everybody could benefit by this fundraiser: Topps, the fans, and most importantly, Jay.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 08:36:46 AM »
GREAT! Idea! to help Jay and his family!!!!

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 08:54:42 AM »
I love this idea. I'm sure an artist or two can get this done. If we have to pay more to cover their cost maybe we can get 2 or 3 different cards. Maybe a card with his self portrait avatar that he uses here on the Forum  would be cool.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 12:12:32 PM »
I noticed Jay was logged on here and on this thread about 20 minutes ago.

Sending you caring & compassion right now Jay. Thoughts and prayers are with you. We're all family around here.

My prayers and thoughts are with you as well, may you beat this and stay strong!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 02:05:01 PM »
Jay, may you get well soon and have a Merry Christmas-you and your family and friends!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 09:21:03 PM by mikecho »

Offline Beanball

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 11:01:23 AM »
Jay is the classiest dude in Wackys.  The time he spent hanging out with some of us Wacky collectors ("Wacky", the cards, and "wacky", the personalities) during the 1997 Chicago show was amazing.  He invited us to his house, showed us stacks of unseen artistic treasures from Topps' history from his archives, and was so generous with his time. 

How many celebrities or artists would trust a bunch of fans like that, or take the time to hang out with them like a bunch of friends, unselfishly?  Plus, he's been so involved in the historical research and posting on the forums.  So cool.

Jay... our thoughts are with you, buddy.  You've gotta kick this and get back to creating the laughter we all dig.  Every time we see and laugh at a Wacky, we think of you, man.  Get well soon!!!
Hey is very classy. I met him at a comic con here in Michigan. And once in Allentown to.
Here's to Jay hoping and praying he will have a miraculous recovery.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 02:44:46 PM »
I told Topps yesterday. They did not know. Hopefully I will hear something from them soon.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 06:22:44 PM »
I hope Jay Lynch survives this health crisis of his so he can be well in time the Wacky Packages 50th. Anniversary set is released!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 07:41:51 PM »
Any update on Jay's health?  Or word of a fund-raiser to help him out? 

Jay, if you're reading this, I am thinking of you and sending what positive vibes I can for good health.

Offline sunsweat

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 09:31:34 AM »
I was hoping people on the forum could donate some items to be sold and given to Jay.  He has always been very generous with his time. 

Offline sunsweat

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 09:39:11 AM »

The 1997 get together at Jay's in Chicago is one of my favorite wacky memories.  I think Jay was told only 3 or 4 people were coming over.  When we showed up, I think the number was closer to 6 or 7.  But Jay still made the best of it.  I remember it was me, Scott B, John Mellard, Shoe, Ed Glicken, and 1 or 2 other people that I can't remember now.  We spent hours looking at Jay's work from over his years at Topps and other projects. 

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »
The 1997 get together at Jay's in Chicago is one of my favorite wacky memories.  I think Jay was told only 3 or 4 people were coming over.  When we showed up, I think the number was closer to 6 or 7.  But Jay still made the best of it.  I remember it was me, Scott B, John Mellard, Shoe, Ed Glicken, and 1 or 2 other people that I can't remember now.  We spent hours looking at Jay's work from over his years at Topps and other projects.

I was at the Chicago show 2 times: "96" and "98".

Offline sunsweat

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 03:48:30 PM »

I was at the Chicago show 2 times: "96" and "98".

It was 98 at Jays.  I was at the Chicago Show 97 thru 99.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 04:42:26 PM »

Greg just sent me a note conveying Jay's thanks and appreciation for the generous donations he received from forum members. He is unable to type, preventing him from directly sending his thanks, but with bills piling up he said that these donations went a long way and were a big help. He is experiencing some discomfort, but there has been no major decline in his condition in the last month or so, so I guess that is semi-good news. Let's hope the news continues to be positive!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 05:06:39 PM »
Is he still in serious financial trouble?  I know there was some talk of the artists getting Topps to do something to raise funds, but meanwhile, maybe we can help out some more.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 05:16:41 PM »
Is he still in serious financial trouble?  I know there was some talk of the artists getting Topps to do something to raise funds, but meanwhile, maybe we can help out some more.

Yes, I think he's in pretty serious financial trouble, likely more than forum contributions can really affect, but he did emphasize that those donations did make a positive difference for him.

I'm sure any potential action by Topps and/or creators to help would be both appreciated and useful for him.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:18:18 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 06:04:18 PM »
Yes, I think he's in pretty serious financial trouble, likely more than forum contributions can really affect, but he did emphasize that those donations did make a positive difference for him.

I'm sure any potential action by Topps and/or creators to help would be both appreciated and useful for him.

Thanks for the update. I hope Topps can lend a hand!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 11:03:56 AM »

I went to Jay's place in '97 or '98 (I'm guessing that only happened once and I don't recall which year it happened, but I was there).  I was just starting to get back into Wackys at the time and didn't really know any other collectors before meeting them at the show.  I was only able to stay at Jay's for a little while, but it was definitely a very cool experience that he was able to share some of his work with us fanboys. 

I saw in a another post that Jay did get some money from some forum members.  Was anything formal done, either by Topps or by us on the forum?  Or did a few people just know where/how to send him some money and did so on their own?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 11:49:42 AM »
I saw in a another post that Jay did get some money from some forum members.  Was anything formal done, either by Topps or by us on the forum?  Or did a few people just know where/how to send him some money and did so on their own?
that was actually mentioned in this thread. And if you pop back up to the very first message, you'll see Jay's PayPal account address listed.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 06:38:43 PM »
that was actually mentioned in this thread. And if you pop back up to the very first message, you'll see Jay's PayPal account address listed.

Thanks!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 06:44:33 PM »
Just sent Jay a donation and message.  Seems like it won't go far with the expense of a cancer diagnosis, but I do hope all our thoughts and prayers make a difference to him.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2017, 09:21:11 AM »
Forum Members.

I would like to have my 3rd - 5th students take up a small collection for Jay.  They collect Wackys and have really good hearts.  This contribution would be nothing substantial in terms of dollars, mind, but rather a simple gift card for dinner that Jay and/or his family members could use on a gray day when things are rushed and hectic.  I would also have one of them make a "get well" card with a Wacky cover, and in typical school fashion, have all of the children sign the inside.

I do not know Jay personally. Aside from a WP spiritual connection, we are strangers, and I do not wish to infringe upon his privacy by asking for his home address.  However, if any of you know his address and wouldn't mind sending me a PM with your address, I could mail the card to you and you could then forward it to Jay.

I realize that I could simply PayPal him, but I'd rather he hold an actual card in his hands from a group of young children who still, to this very day, appreciate his creativity and contributions and are grateful for a legacy that he helped begin all of those many years ago.

Please send me a PM me if you interested and can help.  I'll then mail out the card in the next week or two. Thanks!

Rob