Author Topic: Rare 11th series box  (Read 8550 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Rare 11th series box
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 06:25:29 AM »
Life is funny, for years I didn't think an 11th green box "straight from the factory" had survived, and now two have surfaced in the last couple of years.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 07:08:43 AM »
I know, that's why I posted it.  When you think there are no more new finds to acquire, something like this just pops up.  I am betting it goes over 3k. Also this is not my auction.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 10:23:53 AM »
Matt Stock running the auction.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 02:20:50 PM »
What is the explanation for this? Last run of 11st series and they used green wrappers as they ran out of yellow but suddenly had yellow wrappers for later?  Where is the guy who pays top $ on all full boxes who seems to have vanished from this forum?  I bet he would pay a lot for this box.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 03:04:28 PM »
What is the explanation for this? Last run of 11st series and they used green wrappers as they ran out of yellow but suddenly had yellow wrappers for later?  Where is the guy who pays top $ on all full boxes who seems to have vanished from this forum?  I bet he would pay a lot for this box.

Not sure what you mean. The 14th series wrapper was created specifically for that series.

Also, neither color for the 11th is that much more common so it's unclear how that all worked.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 03:06:13 PM »
And if you're talking about the supposed 14th series packs with 11th yellow wrappers, there is very little evidence that this really happened despite what the Gallery says.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 03:10:57 PM »
Not sure what you mean. The 14th series wrapper was created specifically for that series.

Also, neither color for the 11th is that much more common so it's unclear how that all worked.
I thought 11th yellow packs were much more common hence the desire for this box.  Given that, why were there 11th greens at all?  It must have been during a certain point of production or perhaps a specific subcontractor who wrapped the packs and used the wrong wrappers?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 04:23:26 PM »
I thought 11th yellow packs were much more common hence the desire for this box.  Given that, why were there 11th greens at all?  It must have been during a certain point of production or perhaps a specific subcontractor who wrapped the packs and used the wrong wrappers?

I think 11th yellow packs are a little more common than greens now, but that's largely because a collector sold off all the packs from an 11th yellow box a few years ago. The same guy has a green box that he kept. Prior to that all 11th packs were very tough.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 08:17:23 AM »
I think 11th yellow packs are a little more common than greens now, but that's largely because a collector sold off all the packs from an 11th yellow box a few years ago. The same guy has a green box that he kept. Prior to that all 11th packs were very tough.
So what makes this box so desirable?  The black box itself is tough but not impossible to find and if 11th packs are becoming more common with Green and yellow being close in scarcity, I don't get it.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 10:12:33 AM »
So what makes this box so desirable?  The black box itself is tough but not impossible to find and if 11th packs are becoming more common with Green and yellow being close in scarcity, I don't get it.

About 5-10 years ago, 11th series packs of either color were viewed as being worth around $100 apiece. That may have come down some, but at the current $2000 bid, that's only around $40 per pack. I would guess this box goes for at least $3500.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 01:53:38 PM »
Looks like Joe and Dave were very close: it went for $3250.  :o

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 05:19:20 PM »
I hope the new owner enjoys it

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 02:07:38 PM »
As you so indicated, I was on this one, and believe I got it for a fair price. I still do need some complete boxes but have acquired most in the past year. It's a tough task but I wanted a challenge. Best to all.

I won't be at the Philly non sport show but will be in Chicago next year at the National Sports Coll. Assn. selling my dups in July.

Happy Holidays!!!

Steve

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 12:46:32 PM »
About 5-10 years ago, 11th series packs of either color were viewed as being worth around $100 apiece. That may have come down some, but at the current $2000 bid, that's only around $40 per pack. I would guess this box goes for at least $3500.
Only 3 bidders over $2000 on this.  Seems the ebay market wasn't all that interested but Duo reaches people outside of ebay who might be interested in $3500 or more.  I think Duo says he charges double his buy price so that means a buyer over $6k?

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 12:46:54 PM »
That is a KEEN observation but I know the market is not what it was a number of years ago. I probably won't sell this one until I complete the collection of all original series boxes. Unless I get another box -- I have been trying to buy the other box that turned up several years ago but the owner wants a crazy amount for it -- way beyond the $3250 I paid for this one -- over double that amount plus -- but it is in much better shape.

When I sell this one, if ever, I will not ask double what I paid for it. I would be happy to make a fair profit.

But I still consider every box worth at least $20 to $40 a pack or more; even series 7 and 14, which are the most common -- as graded packs are selling consistently well.

I probably will grade my last 2 series 1 original packs sometime soon.

BUT I am still buying more boxes and have up to 3 boxes of some series. I guess it is just that I like a quest -- that may never be completed.

Steve

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 08:32:38 AM »
That is a KEEN observation but I know the market is not what it was a number of years ago. I probably won't sell this one until I complete the collection of all original series boxes. Unless I get another box -- I have been trying to buy the other box that turned up several years ago but the owner wants a crazy amount for it -- way beyond the $3250 I paid for this one -- over double that amount plus -- but it is in much better shape.

When I sell this one, if ever, I will not ask double what I paid for it. I would be happy to make a fair profit.

But I still consider every box worth at least $20 to $40 a pack or more; even series 7 and 14, which are the most common -- as graded packs are selling consistently well.

I probably will grade my last 2 series 1 original packs sometime soon.

BUT I am still buying more boxes and have up to 3 boxes of some series. I guess it is just that I like a quest -- that may never be completed.

Steve
What full boxes are you missing? 

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 08:22:29 PM »

I still need the first 5 and 16. Probably an impossibility to get them all -- but I never thought I would get a complete 11 -- rumored to be tougher than the others. I have a line on 2 and 3 as it appears that someone still has them in full box form.

16 should be easy -- but expensive. Too bad everyone decided to open their packs when those turned up -- and I just wasn't into them at that time.

Having worked on impossible hunts in the past, someone is always finding things that were put away many years before only to be forgotten.

I had a walk in at a Boston show sell me a 120-pack Flags of the World and 120-pack Planes of the World boxes. The packs are as they were back in 1957 and 1956.
I should grade them but anyone who knows me knows I am happy with my profit so the graders can make theirs.

If you turn up any of my wants, contact me. I don't plan on advertising anywhere else regarding what I seek. Finder's fee if I make a purchase!!!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 08:49:35 PM »
The stories of how these boxes survive are the best part. The 2nd series box I used to own was apparently bought for a child in 1973. Due to the kid's poor behavior it was left in the closet, where it remained for decades! Crazy!

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2016, 07:49:59 PM »
I agree. Sometimes the stories are just so incredible. I've got stories, from a lifetime of buying and selling--having started selling comic books in the late 1950s when I was a kid, and selling cards since the mid 1970s. Now I am down to less than a handful of shows annually, and if it wasn't for the setup and breakdown, it's still fun to talk to people and hear all of their stories, and see the friends you haven't seen in years.

Happy Chanukah and Merry Christmas.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2016, 10:47:20 PM »
The stories of how these boxes survive are the best part. The 2nd series box I used to own was apparently bought for a child in 1973. Due to the kid's poor behavior it was left in the closet, where it remained for decades! Crazy!

Agreed.  This is the best.  I've got a slew of great ones on how old candy boxes and wrappers survived.  :-)
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2016, 05:15:59 AM »
Agreed.  This is the best.  I've got a slew of great ones on how old candy boxes and wrappers survived.  :-)

Sounds like the makings of a good thread!