Author Topic: Topps Wacky Packages Available for 24 Hours Only  (Read 233265 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: Topps Wacky Packages Available for 24 Hours Only
« Reply #945 on: September 07, 2017, 12:10:22 PM »
They should bring back the name Wacky Ads when doing sets like these since they are ads not packages. Wacky Ads, Wacky Posters and Wacky Packages. That should cover these things.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #946 on: September 07, 2017, 01:02:55 PM »
Don't forget Wacky Plaques!

Online mikecho

« Reply #947 on: September 07, 2017, 01:11:01 PM »
Got real names for all save one. What is The Overkill? I ask this because this set might be one for the Master Spreadsheet.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 01:13:09 PM by mikecho »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #948 on: September 07, 2017, 01:16:26 PM »
The Orville.
The star trekky Seth McFarlane show.
First episode This Sunday

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #949 on: September 07, 2017, 02:58:56 PM »
Got real names for all...
Got a name for all of these, myself......

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #950 on: September 07, 2017, 03:38:14 PM »
Got a name for all of these, myself......

Does it have anything to do with cows?

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #951 on: September 07, 2017, 04:07:45 PM »

Or Horses?
Brian Mc

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #952 on: September 07, 2017, 04:29:01 PM »
How about Travesty Packages. That's the feeling I get when I look at that set.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #953 on: September 07, 2017, 05:11:29 PM »
I've been buying a lot of the recent "Wacky" offerings to demonstrate to Topps that there is a demand and market for new Wackys.  Unfortunately, they seem to be veering further and further away from what I consider to be a Wacky Package. 

I have high hopes for the upcoming Old School set, but it looks like I'm done with the 24 hour/weekly offerings.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #954 on: September 07, 2017, 05:23:38 PM »
How'd you know I was thinking of "udderly ridiculous"?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #955 on: September 07, 2017, 08:15:33 PM »
I've been buying a lot of the recent "Wacky" offerings to demonstrate to Topps that there is a demand and market for new Wackys.  Unfortunately, they seem to be veering further and further away from what I consider to be a Wacky Package. 

I have high hopes for the upcoming Old School set, but it looks like I'm done with the 24 hour/weekly offerings.

If you liked Old School 1-5 you will like this set (maybe more). The new WP set we are starting today and that should also be very cool (REAL products).

These 24 hours things should do real products using whatever entertainment thing they are spoofing. Problem solved.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #956 on: September 08, 2017, 07:51:28 AM »
I did the concept for Young Shell-don, but not sure who got the painting, or
how it came out.  I'm guessing JungHwa?    (She did my other one, Will & Grapes.)

Offline quas

« Reply #957 on: September 08, 2017, 01:49:10 PM »

Same here, Pat.
Marc

Offline drono

« Reply #958 on: September 09, 2017, 04:06:45 AM »
I did the concept for Young Shell-don, but not sure who got the painting, or
how it came out. 

When you say you "did the concept," what exactly does that mean?  You had the idea for the title and maybe the gag line and the sketch of the character, but then someone else did the production?

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #959 on: September 09, 2017, 05:16:40 AM »
I submitted the concept, along with many other ideas, and sketched it out using my all-thumbs computer skills, with text, gag lines and characters.  Topps was great to approve those two ideas but of course they have the right to change things around however they see fit.

will & grapes stayed the same except I had them all in a Supermarket produce section and maybe that was too "busy," not sure and everything ended up on a white canvas instead.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #960 on: September 09, 2017, 06:35:10 AM »
Exceptional writing on both concepts Paul! You're the backbone of some amazing wacky titles!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #961 on: September 17, 2017, 07:47:41 AM »
A shout out to Patrick during this slow time for Wackies. There are number of people on this board who have a set of Topps On-Demand Wackies solely because Patrick stepped up and banded us together to obtain these cards at bulk prices. He probably spent over 100 hours on this project. Meticulously tracking Paypal Payments from us all, ordering cards,  tracking their deliveries to him, and rapidly shipping them out to us with notification of when we could expect our
special deliveries. These efforts made it possible for many of us to collect these cards; even though their single card prices put them out of our reach. Patrick's labor of love will have lasting impact. The hobby would not be the same without him. Anyone who participated in the Bulk-Buyers Club owes Patrick a debt of gratitude.
Many thanks to Patrick for going above and beyond for the sake of making these cards available to us a prices we could afford.  :great: :great: :great: :great:

Regards,  Andrew

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #962 on: September 17, 2017, 09:55:51 AM »
A shout out to Patrick during this slow time for Wackies. There are number of people on this board who have a set of Topps On-Demand Wackies solely because Patrick stepped up and banded us together to obtain these cards at bulk prices. He probably spent over 100 hours on this project. Meticulously tracking Paypal Payments from us all, ordering cards,  tracking their deliveries to him, and rapidly shipping them out to us with notification of when we could expect our
special deliveries. These efforts made it possible for many of us to collect these cards; even though their single card prices put them out of our reach. Patrick's labor of love will have lasting impact. The hobby would not be the same without him. Anyone who participated in the Bulk-Buyers Club owes Patrick a debt of gratitude.
Many thanks to Patrick for going above and beyond for the sake of making these cards available to us a prices we could afford.  :great: :great: :great: :great:

Regards,  Andrew
:great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: ;D

• Administrator
« Reply #963 on: September 17, 2017, 01:15:55 PM »
Many thanks to Patrick for going above and beyond for the sake of making these cards available to us a prices we could afford.

Regards,  Andrew
thanks Andrew!
It took some work, but for the most part, it was a rather enjoyable experience - with the bonus being it was a great way meet a lot of forum members!

• Administrator
« Reply #964 on: September 17, 2017, 01:19:00 PM »
Topps Wacky Packages - 2017 Fall TV Preview up for order at Topps.
154 sets sold.
Somewhat better than the Summer TV set

Offline drono

« Reply #965 on: September 18, 2017, 02:02:14 PM »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #966 on: September 18, 2017, 02:14:15 PM »
WTF is this from Topps?  Horsin' Around with Bojack Horseman.  It must be aimed far below my age group (and intelligence level).

https://www.topps.com/ondemand/ondemand-available-one-week-only/2017-topps-on-demand-set-7-bojack-horseman.html?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=9/18%20Topps%20NOW%E2%84%A2&utm_term=All%20Sports%20and%20Auction

I love the quote "Even though it takes place in Chicago, it is actually filmed in Los Angeles, California!" As if that isn't the case for practically every show and movie in the first place. Who can pretend to say that half of the shows on television aren't recorded in front of green screens?

Salem's Lot was recorded in Cal. even though it takes place in Maine, and Wally World isn't even in the same place... What makes it any different to point out on a stupid horse show?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #967 on: September 18, 2017, 02:25:19 PM »
I love the quote "Even though it takes place in Chicago, it is actually filmed in Los Angeles, California!" As if that isn't the case for practically every show and movie in the first place. Who can pretend to say that half of the shows on television aren't recorded in front of green screens?

Salem's Lot was recorded in Cal. even though it takes place in Maine, and Wally World isn't even in the same place... What makes it any different to point out on a stupid horse show?

Anyone else watching the television show THE ORVILLE on Fox? Many of the ship interiors appear to be green screen rather than constructed sets.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #968 on: September 18, 2017, 02:48:52 PM »
Exceptional writing on both concepts Paul! You're the backbone of some amazing wacky titles!

Thanks, Neil, but you are truly Sir Wacky-a-Lot!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #969 on: September 18, 2017, 03:29:19 PM »

That's part of the joke. Also, it's not "filmed" as it's an animated show (but in the reality of the show, BoJack Horseman is a real live horse man, and Horsin' Around was filmed). I've watched a few episodes and it's pretty funny, my nephews really like it.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #970 on: September 18, 2017, 03:33:04 PM »
Anyone else watching the television show THE ORVILLE on Fox? Many of the ship interiors appear to be green screen rather than constructed sets.

I watched the first episode and liked it. I didn't notice the green screening, but I bet you're right.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #971 on: September 18, 2017, 03:37:55 PM »
WTF is this from Topps?  Horsin' Around with Bojack Horseman.  It must be aimed far below my age group (and intelligence level).

Pass.

• Administrator
« Reply #972 on: September 18, 2017, 04:33:20 PM »
I love the quote "Even though it takes place in Chicago, it is actually filmed in Los Angeles, California!"
Well, it's a 'lost' test set from back in the 90's, from back in the olden, dark days, pre-internet, when nobody knew nothin'!!  ;D

• Administrator
« Reply #973 on: September 18, 2017, 04:35:34 PM »
Looks like the interior is almost entirely physical sets.
I had read elsewhere that the ship is a real model as well, and not the usual cgi you see everywhere else these days

https://trekmovie.com/2017/08/31/6-takeaways-from-a-set-visit-to-the-orville/

• Administrator
Thanksgiving Day set
« Reply #974 on: November 22, 2017, 11:00:12 AM »
Thanksgiving 50/50 Wacky & GPK set is up - on sale for 1 full week.

5 cards of each (of course, 2 of each GPK)

15 cards for $35

Subject List:

1: SAMMY SNOOD/DIRK Dangler - Brent Engstrom
2: ANDY Corn/Corny CANDICE - Dave Gross
3: Turkey CAL/Hapless HUNTER - Neil Camera
4: Basting BART/Leggy LENNY - Smokin' Joe McWilliams
5: GARY Gravy/Poured POLLY - Robert Jimenez

Wacky Packages:

6. Butterbrawl - Smokin' Joe McWilliams
7. McSnoremick Turkey Gravy Mix - Dave Gross
8. Bruised Yams - Brent Engstrom
9. Lippy’s Punk In Pie Mix - Smokin' Joe McWilliams
10. Turkey Taffy - JungHwa Im/concept Paul Harris

https://www.topps.com/catalog/product/view/id/92686/s/gpk-2017-thanksgiving-complete-set/category/3527/

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 02:00:09 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #975 on: November 22, 2017, 11:42:57 AM »
"Turkey Taffy" was my concept, but not exactly sure who painted it. 

I do believe it was likely Junghwa?

I love the face smack down in the gravy of McSnoremack!  Lots of
other great gags, too!  Bruised Yams is awesome!

And big kudos to Robert Jimenez on getting his first GPK in there!  :great:

Offline zerostreet

• The Art of Robert Jimenez
« Reply #976 on: November 22, 2017, 12:02:52 PM »
And big kudos to Robert Jimenez on getting his first GPK in there!  :great:

Thanks Paul! Bruised Yams is awesome! Love Punk In Pie as well! All the Wackys are pretty strong!
The Art of Robert Jimenez
www.zerostreet.com

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #977 on: November 22, 2017, 12:53:59 PM »
These are great!
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline drono

« Reply #978 on: November 22, 2017, 02:06:28 PM »
I like 'em, but after plunking down $150 for Olds 6, I think I'll pass.  If it were 10 WP and 0 GPK, then I'd be in.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #979 on: November 22, 2017, 02:22:54 PM »
I'm really going to push them to split the brands for the next set.

BTW, you guys should really start getting a group of GPK people together and split sets with them. There are a few hundred GPK people to choose from.