Author Topic: Topps Wacky Packages Available for 24 Hours Only  (Read 233283 times)

Offline DrDeal

Topps Wacky Packages Available for 24 Hours Only
« on: November 17, 2016, 03:08:25 PM »
JEWELRY YOU'LL WANTKA FROM IVANKA - WACKY PACKAGES - GPK DISG-RACE TO THE WHITE HOUSE

I just purchased this card. It is in the GPK series but is a Wacky. Up for 24 hours only. I had a feeling Wackies would surface in this program at some point.

Regards,  Andrew
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:38:09 AM by DrDeal »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: Topps Now's First Wacky Package 24 Hours Only
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 03:41:33 PM »
I did the is card yesterday and the whole time I thought it was a substitute card for the new 50th series. Totally surprised to see it show up today

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 03:46:19 PM »
as I've seen on the GPK Underground site regarding the entire presidential GPK online cards, we'll need to start a similarly named "Disg-race to the Wacky Brand Name" thread.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 04:20:35 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 03:56:08 PM »
As long as they are still doing real product parodies as well I don't really care about them doing other sets or themes under the WP banner. It definitely took some getting used to when I was working on the 50th set.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 04:41:21 PM »
It will be interesting to see how many are purchased and how that compares to the average GPK 24 Hour card. They usually sell in the 300-500 card range. Some have gone over 700 but that is unusual. I hope it dosn't sell 200. I would like to see more of them.

Andrew
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 04:43:53 PM by DrDeal »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 04:58:01 PM »
It will be interesting to see how many are purchased and how that compares to the average GPK 24 Hour card. They usually sell in the 300-500 card range. Some have gone over 700 but that is unusual. I hope it dosn't sell 200. I would like to see more of them.

Andrew

Tough to get those sales numbers up when you're targeting only half the population.

Offline Kook

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 05:53:18 PM »
Tough to get those sales numbers up when you're targeting only half the population.

I agree. It just makes it easier to give up the new stuff.

Online Joe G.

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 07:21:54 PM »
JEWELRY YOU'LL WANTKA FROM IVANKA - WACKY PACKAGES - GPK DISG-RACE TO THE WHITE HOUSE

I just purchased this card. It is in the GPK series but is a Wacky. Up for 24 hours only. I had a feeling Wackies would surface in this program at some point.

Regards,  Andrew

Andrew you called it!  I noticed this is card number 82 in the GPK series.  That's insane.  At $10 a pop that allota dough!  I don't know about you but I'd consider this a WP 50th preview card.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 09:10:50 PM »
and digitally produced they can maximize the dough. It cost less than a buck to make.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 03:47:11 AM »
Andrew you called it!  I noticed this is card number 82 in the GPK series.  That's insane.  At $10 a pop that allota dough!  I don't know about you but I'd consider this a WP 50th preview card.

If you buy 5 it goes down to $6 per card.  If many of us do that maybe they will do more of these.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 05:47:59 AM »
Great job on that, Dave! 

And it's nice to see Topps get Wackys into the "Topps Now" queue, although I hope they
can work on the pricing, it's a bit confusing.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 06:45:48 AM »
Great job on that, Dave! 

And it's nice to see Topps get Wackys into the "Topps Now" queue, although I hope they
can work on the pricing, it's a bit confusing.

I am not happy about Wackys being added into the "Topps Now" queue, especially because this email didn't do anything to say it includes a Wacky - you had to get past the Cy Young sports headline in the email title, then open it anyway, and then decide to click on the GPK link to accidentally find out there is a (semi) Wacky!  I routinely ignore Topps "Now" emails because they are pretty much about sports cards, and wouldn't have known about this card had I not logged in here this morning.  Many people who might actually have been interested in this card probably won't find out within the 24 hour window, thereby lowering the sales numbers, and making it appear that there is no interest in new Wackys.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 07:04:32 AM »
Man! These Print On Demand stickers must be breaking the banks of GPK collectors!! I'm very afraid of what they could do for Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary! I'm already buying the weekly POD Star Wars Rogue One 5-card sets.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 08:25:56 AM »
I am not happy about Wackys being added into the "Topps Now" queue, especially because this email didn't do anything to say it includes a Wacky - you had to get past the Cy Young sports headline in the email title, then open it anyway, and then decide to click on the GPK link to accidentally find out there is a (semi) Wacky!  I routinely ignore Topps "Now" emails because they are pretty much about sports cards, and wouldn't have known about this card had I not logged in here this morning.  Many people who might actually have been interested in this card probably won't find out within the 24 hour window, thereby lowering the sales numbers, and making it appear that there is no interest in new Wackys.

I just sent your post to Topps and they will look into making it easier to find WP stuff in the future.

Also, a heads up that there will be a new WP for Thanksgiving within a GPK Thanksgiving set. I had asked about making them into GPK/WP mash-ups but they just want them to stay as full WP leading up to the 50th set.

Offline Beanball

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 10:34:36 AM »
I just sent your post to Topps and they will look into making it easier to find WP stuff in the future.

Also, a heads up that there will be a new WP for Thanksgiving within a GPK Thanksgiving set. I had asked about making them into GPK/WP mash-ups but they just want them to stay as full WP leading up to the 50th set.
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully it is a real product.

Online Joe G.

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 10:53:33 AM »
As long as they are still doing real product parodies as well I don't really care about them doing other sets or themes under the WP banner. It definitely took some getting used to when I was working on the 50th set.

Dave, not MLB?  For some reason MLB was a big adjustment for me and I only did a few gags.  By this time I had come to acceptance and was able to be more productive.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 12:23:15 PM »
Dave, not MLB?  For some reason MLB was a big adjustment for me and I only did a few gags.  By this time I had come to acceptance and was able to be more productive.

Oh yeah, definitely MLB as well. I almost forgot about that (apparently so did everyone else!)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 01:52:36 PM »

Thanks Dave!  I hope Topps will listen to customer feedback. 

For anyone here who missed out and wants the Ivanka Wacky card, I bought some just in case, so don't go paying crazy ebay prices   :D

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 02:44:57 PM »
447 sold. Not bad and on par for what GPK does so maybe more to come.  :great:

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 02:46:39 PM »

Where did you find the number sold?

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 02:52:40 PM »
Where did you find the number sold?
shows up online in their store
used to be a day or so before they'd post the number, but looks like it's instant now

https://www.topps.com/shop-entertainment-brands/garbage-pail-kids/2016-election.html

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 03:01:07 PM »
shows up online in their store
used to be a day or so before they'd post the number, but looks like it's instant now

https://www.topps.com/shop-entertainment-brands/garbage-pail-kids/2016-election.html

Thanks Patrick.  Looks like Wacky fans added maybe 90-100 to the total, and Star Trek fans added a few to the Trek themed card.

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 03:36:12 PM »
wonder if they'll fix the typo in this GPK before it ships

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 08:52:01 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline dth1971

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 05:46:41 PM »
I did the is card yesterday and the whole time I thought it was a substitute card for the new 50th series. Totally surprised to see it show up today

Like the 2016 Topps MLB Wacky series and unreleased 2014 Star Wars Wacky series and original Wacky sticker series 11 "Decay Toothpaste", it doesn't spoof a real product!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2016, 06:06:40 PM »

Wow, I was surprised. Good news. The Thanksgiving one will be a real product so pure ANS style.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2016, 06:21:59 PM »
Like the 2016 Topps MLB Wacky series and unreleased 2014 Star Wars Wacky series and original Wacky sticker series 11 "Decay Toothpaste", it doesn't spoof a real product!

Well, there was an article in the papers this week about how Ivanka wore a "bangle" from her jewelry product line during a TV interview, and her business took the opportunity to issue some sort of release about the product.  I doubt that it comes in any kind of recognizable packaging as we are used to with Wackys, but her company does make this kind of item.  That's why I called it a "semi" Wacky earlier. 

Dave - you created this one, correct?  Am I on target about where the concept came from?  And, are you doing these digitally to get them out so fast?   

I am interested to see how they format the front and back of the card - that could make the difference between it being considered a real Wacky or just a GPK crossover.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 06:26:44 PM by RawGoo »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2016, 06:59:45 PM »
Well, there was an article in the papers this week about how Ivanka wore a "bangle" from her jewelry product line during a TV interview, and her business took the opportunity to issue some sort of release about the product.  I doubt that it comes in any kind of recognizable packaging as we are used to with Wackys, but her company does make this kind of item.  That's why I called it a "semi" Wacky earlier. 

Dave - you created this one, correct?  Am I on target about where the concept came from?  And, are you doing these digitally to get them out so fast?   

I am interested to see how they format the front and back of the card - that could make the difference between it being considered a real Wacky or just a GPK crossover.

Yes, the idea was based on the Ivanka jewelry scandal. If it ended up in the 50ths set it would no longer be timely.

I hand painted it with the exception of the lettering which I normally paint but I had an extremely tight deadline on this.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2016, 04:52:57 AM »
[/quote]

I agree. If there is a Wacky Logo on the back of this card we are good to go. It will be like the GPK crossover Wackies we just got. If no logo. Not really a Wacky IMO.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2016, 09:28:15 AM »
It would be great if one of the admins or artists who has an email list of forum members could send out an email blast to members next time a Wacky goes up for 24 hours in the shop.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2016, 10:19:57 AM »

I agree. If there is a Wacky Logo on the back of this card we are good to go. It will be like the GPK crossover Wackies we just got. If no logo. Not really a Wacky IMO.

I asked and there is a Wacky Packages logo on the back instead of a GPK one.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2016, 10:20:44 AM »
It would be great if one of the admins or artists who has an email list of forum members could send out an email blast to members next time a Wacky goes up for 24 hours in the shop.

I can probably do something like that. The next one will be up for Thanksgiving. Don't know which day yet. Will LYK.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2016, 10:21:02 AM »

:great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: ;)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »

Topps should send targeted messages about Wacky products to customers who have bought Wackys from their online store in the past.  But, some people don't check their emails every day - I know, because I've tried to notify people about midnight sales, and even a few days of warning can cut it close.    If Topps is going to do "print on demand" Wackys, I would prefer a duration of at least a few days.

I'm not even sure that I'll be wanting this recent card (it will depend on the formatting, such as black border and how Topps does the back), but I bought some to cover forum friends who probably missed out and will want the card, so they won't have to pay crazy prices on ebay.  I can't contribute Wacky art for our hobby, but I can at least try to help out with things like this.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2016, 10:24:04 AM »

That's great!  Will it have the regular Wacky black border around the image?

anything