Author Topic: Topps Wacky Packages Available for 24 Hours Only  (Read 235548 times)

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
Re: Topps Wacky Packages Available for 24 Hours Only
« Reply #840 on: June 28, 2017, 06:00:25 PM »
the Peaks card is based off the newest episode last week. More of an homage than a gag, maybe?

I had to do some google-fu to find the ikea / grape "bowl of death" story (link below).
The color dyed pit hair has been around, and I'm not sure what triggered a resurface?

http://mashable.com/2017/06/22/ikea-bowl-setting-stuff-on-fire/#4yNZ_kKZhEqJ
Yep, The Grape griller is my concept. Again a surprise that it was approved since it's not a big news story. I also did a Armpit hair gag that was rejected.  I think the story resurfaced because women are dying their pit hair rainbow colors. http://www.teenvogue.com/story/rainbow-armpit-hair-for-pride

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #841 on: June 28, 2017, 07:18:13 PM »
Yep, The Grape griller is my concept. Again a surprise that it was approved since it's not a big news story. I also did a Armpit hair gag that was rejected.  I think the story resurfaced because women are dying their pit hair rainbow colors. http://www.teenvogue.com/story/rainbow-armpit-hair-for-pride

Like the gag, but Lord almighty!  All of the things wrong in this world, and now we have people dying their pit hair?  WHY?  I honestly don't know which is more frightening:  All of the disturbing, seemingly perpetual, heart-wrenching atrocities that go on in this world - or the people who aren't experiencing said atrocities waking up in the morning and making it one of their priorities to dye their armpit hair rainbow colors that afternoon?  Topps should have went with your pig gag, Chad, over the unicorn.  At least your gag is making a deeper statement.

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #842 on: June 28, 2017, 07:23:58 PM »
HA Thanks! It was rejected because it implied that women who dye their armpits are pigs. That was not what I meant. I used the pig as a tie in of the word Pigment. Ah well.... Sales were very low yesterday. I fear the final nail in the coffin is near.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #843 on: June 28, 2017, 07:51:56 PM »
women are dying their pit hair
English words which should have never been placed in this sequence together.    :o  >(

Offline Swiski

« Reply #844 on: June 29, 2017, 07:41:07 AM »
Are you guys who work for Topps taking parody requests?

I have two ideas that are perfect for the current combination of borrowing vintage parodies with Trumpocracy...

Pence Dispenser - repurpose the Prez Dispenser spoof from the 90s, swapping Bush's head with Pence, changing the broccoli joke to something relating to Pence

Comey Cleanser - repurpose Commie Cleanser, swapping Uncle Sam with Comey in a star spangled top hat, and updated joke

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #845 on: June 29, 2017, 08:47:48 AM »
That's seriously funny stuff! Unfortunately, no requests for PoD's at this point, but if you were interested in a  private commission, that might be a different story...

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #846 on: June 29, 2017, 10:54:32 AM »
Are you guys who work for Topps taking parody requests?

I have two ideas that are perfect for the current combination of borrowing vintage parodies with Trumpocracy...

Pence Dispenser - repurpose the Prez Dispenser spoof from the 90s, swapping Bush's head with Pence, changing the broccoli joke to something relating to Pence

Comey Cleanser - repurpose Commie Cleanser, swapping Uncle Sam with Comey in a star spangled top hat, and updated joke

HA!!!!!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #847 on: June 29, 2017, 11:13:14 AM »
Fourth of July Event Set now up, containing 3 Wackys

No individual card sales, it appears, just bundled with the GPKs. That blows.

George Washington Grill - Neil Camera/concept Paul Harris
Lincoln Legs - Robert Jimenez/concept Paul Harris
Fourth Fingers - JungHwa Im/concept Chad Scheres

(Note - image for Fourth Fingers was not posted initially, showed up hours later)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 07:49:42 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline bwing

« Reply #848 on: June 29, 2017, 11:20:03 AM »
Those are great!!!

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #849 on: June 29, 2017, 12:05:04 PM »
Hmm, Fourth Fingers is my Gag. Maybe whoever painted it isn't done yet??

Offline Swiski

« Reply #850 on: June 29, 2017, 12:11:35 PM »
I hate these packaged sets too because they never show all the cards! Only 5 titles are shown.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 12:53:23 PM by Swiski »

• Administrator
« Reply #851 on: June 29, 2017, 12:37:31 PM »
I hate these packaged sets too because hey never show all the cards! Only 5 titles are shown.
First time this has happened with the On Demand cards, I think. Tend to believe it was a mistake.

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #852 on: June 29, 2017, 12:50:15 PM »
It should show up later today, probably just a delay getting the scan?

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #853 on: June 29, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »
I just emailed Colin. He said they will add Fourth Fingers tomorrow Morning, and that there should be an option to purchase the cards separately that is also not there.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #854 on: June 29, 2017, 06:21:17 PM »
Sets are the name of the game. No more daily cards coming out. A weekly themed set (with hopefully option to purchase separately so GPK and WP collectors that don't like the other brand can split them up).

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #855 on: June 29, 2017, 07:42:05 PM »
Yep, as I said above the final nail in the coffin. Wednesdays sales were very low. My 2 concepts didnt even crack 100. No more daily cards. Boo..... I'm very anxious to see how many Lynch Lighters sold.

• Administrator
« Reply #856 on: June 29, 2017, 08:18:14 PM »
Fourth Fingers image now on the Topps website.

added to post up above.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #857 on: June 30, 2017, 02:40:46 AM »
Sets are the name of the game. No more daily cards coming out. A weekly themed set (with hopefully option to purchase separately so GPK and WP collectors that don't like the other brand can split them up).

With a set only focus which allows for a Wacky only bundle; I see a problem when two of the cards are not my preference and two of them are. Topps is forcing us to purchase ALL the Wackies and not giving us a quantity discount. So this direction may eliminate the buyers club too. If it goes this way I guess I may buy the bundle and sell the cards I don't collect.  Hopefully if they switch to this method; they will allow bulk discounts. At least we could keep the club going.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #858 on: June 30, 2017, 06:32:04 AM »

Great ideas! I like
Brian Mc

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #859 on: June 30, 2017, 07:45:54 AM »
With a set only focus which allows for a Wacky only bundle; I see a problem when two of the cards are not my preference and two of them are. Topps is forcing us to purchase ALL the Wackies and not giving us a quantity discount. So this direction may eliminate the buyers club too. If it goes this way I guess I may buy the bundle and sell the cards I don't collect.  Hopefully if they switch to this method; they will allow bulk discounts. At least we could keep the club going.

I think you can buy the cards individually.

• Administrator
« Reply #860 on: June 30, 2017, 07:57:29 AM »
I think you can buy the cards individually.
And previously that's only been at full price of $9.99

Wacky collectors have been getting the short end of the stick on these, as gpk's have been getting 2 cards for the same price.

I hope topps gets a better pricing scheme for these sets.

At the very least the GPK and wacky cards need to be bundled separately. There's no excuse for bundling them together. Topps doesn't bundle baseball and WWE cards or bundle Preacher with Walking Dead.

These are separate brands and need to be sold separately. This needs to end NOW.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:13:42 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

• Administrator
« Reply #861 on: June 30, 2017, 08:20:08 AM »
Yep, as I said above the final nail in the coffin. Wednesdays sales were very low. My 2 concepts didnt even crack 100. No more daily cards. Boo..... I'm very anxious to see how many Lynch Lighters sold.
Not bad. Plus perhaps a permanent spot as the image used for the daily Trumpocracy link on their website.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #862 on: June 30, 2017, 08:33:59 AM »

SlamJim: Sets are the name of the game. No more daily cards coming out. A weekly themed set (with hopefully option to purchase separately so GPK and WP collectors that don't like the other brand can split them up).

Dr. Deal: With a set only focus which allows for a Wacky only bundle; I see a problem when two of the cards are not my preference and two of them are. Topps is forcing us to purchase ALL the Wackies and not giving us a quantity discount. So this direction may eliminate the buyers club too. If it goes this way I guess I may buy the bundle and sell the cards I don't collect.  Hopefully if they switch to this method; they will allow bulk discounts. At least we could keep the club going.

Wow!  Chad was right.  This is, indeed, a death knell - of sorts.  I was wondering what his cryptic statement meant.  Now we all know.  And my mind reels...

Yes, it would be nice if Topps offered individual sales on bundle card titles.  (Right now, as of 11:00 this morning, however, the "4th of July" bundle is still being offered as just that: a bundle.)  Even so, if the bundles have a thematic theme - summer movies, fun-in-the-sun, back-to-school, politics (ughhhh!) - individual titles are never offered at a bulk discount rate.  (How many times have we seen Patrick make posts addressing this very fact?)  Similarly, bundles are never broken up into separate GPK and WP bundles.  (Andrew, we have both bought bundles before, and we know this is the case.)  I am also wondering if the upcoming bundles are even going to be thematic at all?  Or will they just be a mishmash of various titles - "Trumpocracy," "Network Spews" - submitted throughout the previous week?

Unless I am mistaken (and I hope I am,) our choices have now been limited to three: purchase bundles on a weekly basis, ranging anywhere in price from $19.99 to 49.99, purchasing individual titles (possibly) at $9.99 a pop, or not buying anything at all. 

I just purchased the "4th" bundle last evening.  The real kicker, though, is I really only wanted two cards.  But to get them, well, you know the deal.  So, basically I spent $15.00 each on two titles.  I don't really collect GPK.  And of the WP, I only wanted 2 out of 3.  So be it; It was my choice.

I suppose we can all second guess and speculate, however, even though past practice has provided us with indicators to tell us where this all might lead, that still doesn't do us much good.  We'll simply all have to wait and see what happens next week, in general and with the BBC.  Time will tell...

Added note:  Yes, I also agree, Patrick. Topps doesn't need to bundle GPK and WP together.  I guess they figure that the collectors of these are cut from the same cloth.  It's a crappy marketing strategy.  Not from Topps's, point of view, mind, but rather from the collector's point of view.  Already I can hear the banjo playing as I'm being bent over a fallen log - again!  Maybe it's time to consider leaving the forest.  But I'll give it a week or two to see what pans out.  There have been changes before, and we have weathered them.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:42:34 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #863 on: June 30, 2017, 10:00:46 AM »
LMK in clear easy to understand terms what you want out of the weekly sets and how you'd want them presented and sold. I'll send it to Topps for you on Wednesday.

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #864 on: June 30, 2017, 10:08:52 AM »
Not bad. Plus perhaps a permanent spot as the image used for the daily Trumpocracy link on their website.
Yes, not too bad considering most people had no idea what it was. Thanks to everyone that bought it! I'll be listing the original on ebay soon.

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #865 on: June 30, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »
LMK in clear easy to understand terms what you want out of the weekly sets and how you'd want them presented and sold. I'll send it to Topps for you on Wednesday.
Old school wackys with limited politics. More snot puke and Monsters! And the option to buy single cards, not the whole set.

• Administrator
« Reply #866 on: June 30, 2017, 10:22:51 AM »
Presented and sold desires:
  • Single card purchase option
  • Bulk Buy discounts
  • Bundled by Brand, not GPK & Wacky combined
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 11:03:47 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #867 on: June 30, 2017, 11:32:33 AM »
  • Bulk Buy discounts

I concur 100% with Patrick.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #868 on: June 30, 2017, 12:23:09 PM »
  • Bulk Buy discounts

:great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #869 on: June 30, 2017, 02:58:47 PM »
  • Bulk Buy discounts

What Patrick said!!

Quite honestly, if I am going to be forced to buy GPK to get Wackys, or be charged $9.99 for a single card, I will simply stop purchasing on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:00:35 PM by RawGoo »

• Administrator
« Reply #870 on: June 30, 2017, 03:36:35 PM »
Quite honestly, if I am going to be forced to buy GPK to get Wackys, or be charged $9.99 for a single card, I will simply stop purchasing on a regular basis.
feeling the same.
If Topps will give bulk discounts on single titles, like they did the daily cards, that'd keep me going on all the titles (and keep the BBC going as well)
If not, then they need to break the bundle out into the two brands.
Getting gouged on single title purchases or being forced to buy GPKs is not going to work.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #871 on: June 30, 2017, 05:16:13 PM »
feeling the same.
If Topps will give bulk discounts on single titles, like they did the daily cards, that'd keep me going on all the titles (and keep the BBC going as well)
If not, then they need to break the bundle out into the two brands.
Getting gouged on single title purchases or being forced to buy GPKs is not going to work.

Yes, but even if they break the bundle into two brands, we are still going to be stuck with and paying for ALL of the WP titles.  Fine for the Premiere Club, not so good for the Economy Club.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #872 on: June 30, 2017, 06:41:35 PM »
Who knew that buying Wackys would become such a royal PITA?!?!? So sad  :sad:
Brian Mc

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #873 on: June 30, 2017, 06:43:42 PM »
Yes, but even if they break the bundle into two brands, we are still going to be stuck with and paying for ALL of the WP titles.  Fine for the Premiere Club, not so good for the Economy Club.

I doubt I will be buying bundles that contain cards I would not have had to buy in the Economy Club.  But if there is a killer card I may have to pay for the bundle
and sell the ones I don't care for.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #874 on: June 30, 2017, 06:44:16 PM »
  • Bulk Buy discounts

I will add my Amen to this as well.
Brian Mc

anything