Author Topic: Topps Wacky Packages Available for 24 Hours Only  (Read 235441 times)

Offline Brian Mc

Re: Topps Wacky Packages Available for 24 Hours Only
« Reply #630 on: May 15, 2017, 02:29:51 PM »
Soooooo.... how about them Wackys that are available for only 24 hours?  :P
Brian Mc

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #631 on: May 15, 2017, 02:32:07 PM »
If you would prefer, I'll use tough instead of thick skinned, but my interpretation of thin skinned means overly defensive from insecurity and weakness, not the refusal to take other peoples' crap.

I see what you're trying to get at and I understand your gut is telling you that his behavior is something to be admired because you fundamentally believe in the core nature of the man's character.  You believe him to be decent strong man.   I certainly respect your desire to see greatness in our country and its people and traditions (and its current leader), don't get me wrong.  I want all of those things to be true too. 

I'd offer you one final thought:   If you don't think President Trump is thin-skinned, and by your definition is NOT "overly defensive from insecurity and weakness".   But instead, his behavior proves that he is actually strong and simply "refuses to take other people's crap" - then I'll pose a hypothetical question to you:   

By contrast, how do you think someone who IS thin-skinned (and weak and defensive) in the way you define it would have responded to the Donald Trump-related skits on Saturday Night Live?  How would a thin-skinned person's response have been different from Donald Trump's? 

To my assessment, a thick-skinned person (in the White House) wouldn't give a crap about what Saturday Night Live says because a satirical television show that has made fun of presidents for 40 years is not worthy of the President's notice.  But if your assessment differs, I'm willing to hear that. 

And if you hold true after considering what I've just posed, that President Trump is still not thin-skinned in your opinion because of the reasons you lay out -- Then I'd offer up that you could use that same logic you use, to characterize what you currently call this PC insecure rush to be offended and hypersensitive as just "threatened people refusing to take other people's crap". 

Because it's clear you don't appreciate a culture of hyper-sensitive people who look everywhere for offense, and when they find it and feel offended they make a big deal out of it by responding to the offense.   Maybe they aren't hypersensitive and looking everywhere for offense, maybe they just share that quality you imbue our current president with, "A refusal to take other people's crap."  Maybe they're just that damned strong. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:38:07 PM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #632 on: May 15, 2017, 02:41:38 PM »
no wackys today, but did you see the 3 levels of Derek Jeter autograph cards that went up for sale?  25 @ $1000, 10 @ $2000 and 1 @ $5000?

just 36 cards totaling $50K.
Sold out in seconds flat!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:58:44 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #633 on: May 15, 2017, 02:49:12 PM »
no wackys today, but did you see the 3 levels of Derek Jeter autograph cards that went up for sale?  at $1000@25, $2000@10 and $5000@1?

just 36 cards totaling $50K.
Sold out in seconds flat.

:o
Brian Mc

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #634 on: May 15, 2017, 03:08:23 PM »
I personally feel that the President is more defensive and combative about inconsequential things than he needs to be. I think that's a fundamental part of his personality and one area where he could stand to improve.

However, I have no doubt that he is treated unfairly by the media, and in a way no other candidate or president has been before. I can list countless examples, but here are just a couple:

When Bill O'Reilly had his recent scandal, the Today Show, in reporting it, cited the President's support of Bill (done in a general way: "he's a good guy" or something similar). To me it's clear that the president was offering support to a friend during a trying time, and nothing more. The Today show used it as an opportunity to bring up Trump's own sexual harassment accusations, implying it was one offender supporting another. Outrageously unfair.

During the campaign, every time leftist agitators fomented violence at a Trump rally, the media would blame the victim, implying that the violence was the result of Trump's message. Unfair, and nothing like what would happen if skinheads descended upon a Hillary rally.

Offline Kook

« Reply #635 on: May 15, 2017, 03:22:21 PM »

How would a thin-skinned person's response have been different from Donald Trump's? 

Reagan did it with humor, Trump makes a direct response. There are as many possible ways to deal with it as there are people in the position. I don't think this question can be answered in a vacuum because there are too many other factors involved. Your interpretation of Trump's response as insecure and defensive vs. mine as take no crap has more to do with whether you agree with him or not and the motives you assign. I don't believe anyone can say for 100% sure.

And if you hold true after considering what I've just posed, that President Trump is still not thin-skinned in your opinion because of the reasons you lay out -- Then I'd offer up that you could use that same logic you use, to characterize what you currently call this PC insecure rush to be offended and hypersensitive as just "threatened people refusing to take other people's crap". 

Because it's clear you don't appreciate a culture of hyper-sensitive people who look everywhere for offense, and when they find it and feel offended they make a big deal out of it by responding to the offense.   Maybe they aren't hypersensitive and looking everywhere for offense, maybe they just share that quality you imbue our current president with, "A refusal to take other people's crap."  Maybe they're just that damned strong.

This topic is such a can of worms, I don't even want to go down that rabbit hole. All I'll say is that thank God we still live in a country where, at least for the time being, no matter how crazy, you are still free to respond in any way you want to any real or perceived offences if that's what you choose to spend your life doing.

I see what you're trying to get at and I understand your gut is telling you that his behavior is something to be admired because you fundamentally believe in the core nature of the man's character.  You believe him to be decent strong man.  I certainly respect your desire to see greatness in our country and its people and traditions (and its current leader), don't get me wrong.  I want all of those things to be true too. 

I think this is a bit of common ground and a good place to put this conversation to rest. I think the horse is dead.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 03:24:23 PM by Kook »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #636 on: May 15, 2017, 03:44:15 PM »
Reagan did it with humor, Trump makes a direct response. There are as many possible ways to deal with it as there are people in the position. I don't think this question can be answered in a vacuum because there are too many other factors involved. Your interpretation of Trump's response as insecure and defensive vs. mine as take no crap has more to do with whether you agree with him or not and the motives you assign. I don't believe anyone can say for 100% sure.

Well, if your assessment is that Reagan DID have a thick skin, I'd agree.  And I think there is actually a lot of credence and verifiable evidence to point that fact.  At least there's nothing that anyone could interpret as "thin-skinned" in his behavior.  The assessment for Reagan doesn't require an interpretation of behavior that might seem counter to it.  Unless you can point to where Reagan responded (with humor or otherwise) to Saturday Night Live or any other form of satire.  I'm pretty sure he was above that fray.  He simply didn't respond to it.   Hard to imagine Reagan as thin-skinned because he did not indicate it in his behavior because it didn't meet the definition of it. 

By your interpretation, any thin-skinned individual is just not "up for taking crap from people".  Yet, I suspect you don't equally apply that thinking.

Regardless, if we allow a president's motives to be entirely up for arbitrary interpretation as you suggest, why are we holding up the questionable humor of these Wacky Packages to a higher standard?  It's pretty ridiculous, but I think that is where we are.   If an elected official's defensiveness can be attributed to strength and mean-spirited behavior to "just how politics are played", maybe we also need to look at these Wacky's with similarly open minds and modern eyes.   I'm sure we can similarly justify how little they seem to be qualified to be called "Wacky Packs".  And maybe now we can understand why someone at Topps will be unwilling to consider them as inappropriate or not worthy, no matter how much information we can provide them to show that they are.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 03:46:18 PM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #637 on: May 15, 2017, 03:57:10 PM »
I personally feel that the President is more defensive and combative about inconsequential things than he needs to be. I think that's a fundamental part of his personality and one area where he could stand to improve.

However, I have no doubt that he is treated unfairly by the media, and in a way no other candidate or president has been before. I can list countless examples, but here are just a couple:

When Bill O'Reilly had his recent scandal, the Today Show, in reporting it, cited the President's support of Bill (done in a general way: "he's a good guy" or something similar). To me it's clear that the president was offering support to a friend during a trying time, and nothing more. The Today show used it as an opportunity to bring up Trump's own sexual harassment accusations, implying it was one offender supporting another. Outrageously unfair.

During the campaign, every time leftist agitators fomented violence at a Trump rally, the media would blame the victim, implying that the violence was the result of Trump's message. Unfair, and nothing like what would happen if skinheads descended upon a Hillary rally.

I think there's definitely a good deal of hypocrisy and I again agree with much of this.  It was, in many respects, biased reporting (as Bill O'Reilly himself was often guilty of).  I recall reading an editorial from an African American college student who attended a Trump rally, and she espoused how people were nice to her and polite.  And then she stood up and started chanting her Anti-Trump messages, and how things changed.  And I thought, "Well, what did you expect?  The same thing would happen at a Clinton rally." 

So, I do think there was a lot of biased reporting, and there still is.  It's difficult to find un-biased reporting, but some attempt at critical thinking removed from propaganda is helpful.   I, for instance, don't really bother with how much is being spent to protect the President during his weekly golf outings.  To me, that's just the cost of doing business when you're president, and is as irrelevant now as it was when the right were doing flips and criticizing Obama's travel or his golf outings.  It's hypocrisy, of course, but that's how it goes.

What I find fascinating, is the brazen-ness of the current hypocrisy.  Job numbers that "were fake" before, change a tenth of a percent, and are still great, but now "they're real".  And, it seems that while I "get the joke" a lot of people embrace this material as writ and real.   It just isn't.   I recall Trump (and the GOP) decrying the Unemployment numbers as "fake" and my response was "Fair enough, then let's come up with a new metric that is accurate, and apply it fairly across administrations."   But of course, that wasn't what they wanted at all... it was just hypocrisy and politics, and my sliver of hope with Trump was that he wasn't going to fall into those tried and true tropes of Washington.  Yet he is, and with vigor. 

I also don't care if he "builds a wall" or not.  I see the problems with budgeting it, but all it's going to do is throw a few billion in a hole that may or may not add some kind of border protections (it's not clear that it will actually solve the problems it is espousing to solve).  But that's fine.  Lots of programs end up not accomplishing much.

I have deeper problems with this man and the content of his character.  I embrace unprecedented behavior by a President because one hopes for change in a system that seems loggerjammed. And I was intrigued by "Drain the Swamp".  But I'm equally dismayed at going back on his tax returns campaign promise.  And appointing his children to official White House positions with significant power.  To me, in any other administration, it would have been a constitutional crisis, but now?  Meh...  There is more I find deeply troubling, but it's more of the same. 

So, I don't believe I operate from a position of blind bias.  I have bias, certainly, but also the ability to process new information, even if it is counter to my beliefs. 

Wanted to add a 'for instance' to that:  On China, Trump railed on them as a currency manipulator.  And I think he believes they still are.  Yet he seems to have indicated that he won't label them as such because they may be helping rein in North Korea.  That sounded like a reasonable compromise to me and one I could support.  I have other examples I could offer, but that is at least one. 

I do think my unlikely hope that he would really bust down the flawed problems in Washington has already proven to be misled.   I don't see him getting rid of lobbyists or fighting for Congressional term limits, or ending any of the corrupt-seeming issues with money controlling our political system.  He seems uniquely unconcerned with such things, now that he is in office. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:11:26 PM by JasonLiebig »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #638 on: May 15, 2017, 04:41:10 PM »

Perhaps they were moved to another thread?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #639 on: May 16, 2017, 03:35:31 AM »
Perhaps they were moved to another thread?

Sorry, I don't see an option to split a topic.  I can lock this topic and start two new ones if that's the consensus. 

Offline bwing

« Reply #640 on: May 16, 2017, 06:02:53 AM »
That may be best.

It will allow those who wish to continue the political discussion to do so among themselves.

• Administrator
« Reply #641 on: May 16, 2017, 06:11:17 AM »
Sorry, I don't see an option to split a topic.  I can lock this topic and start two new ones if that's the consensus.
Would prefer not to lock this one. Hopefully we'll get back on topic here and further discussion can be picked up in a new thread.

Offline quas

« Reply #642 on: May 16, 2017, 06:14:02 AM »
Would prefer not to lock this one. Hopefully we'll get back on topic here and further discussion can be picked up in a new thread.

That makes sense to me, Patrick.
Marc

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #643 on: May 16, 2017, 06:23:43 AM »
I don't think anyone wishes to continue the political discussion.

• Administrator
« Reply #644 on: May 16, 2017, 09:58:59 AM »
2 new cards today

Kellyanne Conjob - Im
Where’s Richard? - Joe Grossberg/Paul Harris concept

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:02:36 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #645 on: May 16, 2017, 10:35:46 AM »
Yes, Where's Richard is mine and it's another collaboration with the great Paul Harris.  When painting it, I was reminded of all those wonderful cartoons Sergio Aragones would draw in the margins of MAD magazine when we were kids.  There's a bunch of original series and ANS Wacky characters snuck in there, some very obvious and some more obscure.  Here's a larger scan for anyone who wants to take a little peak.

Ps.  Please note - it's Politic's Free!  See I was listening!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 12:42:40 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #646 on: May 16, 2017, 11:04:31 AM »
Yes, Where's Richard is mine and it's another collaboration with the great Paul Harris.  When painting it, I was reminded of all those wonderful cartoons Sergio Aragones would draw in the margins of MAD magazine when we were kids.  There's a bunch of original series and ANS Wacky characters snuck in there, some very obvious and some more obscure.  Here's a larger scan for anyone who wants to take a little peak.

Really nice job! I see Run Tony, the poor Hurtz bird, the 61 mag goat, the Grave Train Dalmatian, and one of the Ditch Masters dudes.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:06:35 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #647 on: May 16, 2017, 11:39:28 AM »
Really nice job! I see Run Tony, the poor Hurtz bird, the 61 mag goat, the Grave Train Dalmatian, and one of the Ditch Masters dudes.

Dave, thanks so much!  I'm embarrassed to say but it took me a week to do.  So you got 5 so far, there are actually 10 but as I said some are kinda obscure.  I'll give you one that's mostly hidden, you can just see Cap'n Crud's feet above the kid with the baseball bat.  Also does that woman dancing on the far right look familiar and what team is that ball player on?

ps.  I was really happy with how the 61 old goat came out and really glad Topps let me keep what he was peeking at!
pps.  There are also 6 of the newer Wacky characters in there.  One, I'm pretty sure, is impossible to figure out.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:43:35 AM by Joe G. »

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #648 on: May 16, 2017, 11:42:16 AM »

great job JOE!!! its refreshing and great!! now if we can only get "IM out of HERE'" we would be Good.... :o :o :o

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #649 on: May 16, 2017, 11:47:21 AM »

great job JOE!!! its refreshing and great!! now if we can only get "IM out of HERE'" we would be Good.... :o :o :o

Joe, thanks!  I do love doing these but I just wish I was quicker.  No new ones in the pipeline yet but let me talk to Paul Harris and see if we can come up with something fun.

Online Zenergizer

« Reply #650 on: May 16, 2017, 12:46:59 PM »
Joe, you're too kind as to what I did to help you out with this. 

Joe worked hard on this one, it was not an easy one to paint!  There is one character on there (partially seen) that I suggested, but may be tough to identify!   Everything about this concept is perfect!

Team Grossberg and Harris is just getting started, working with Joe is not "working" at all, I'm having the time of my life and am honored to be involved! 

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #651 on: May 16, 2017, 02:51:52 PM »

Cutter Bye fairy, Smartz dog, My Little Bony...

• Administrator
« Reply #652 on: May 16, 2017, 03:20:25 PM »
Cutter Bye fairy, Smartz dog, My Little Bony...
Adventure Crime, TV Garbage, Mop n Glop, Muggle?, Baseball player has an N ball cap, as on Weakies...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:36:37 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #653 on: May 16, 2017, 03:43:37 PM »
Robert and Patrick, good eyes!  Especially the Mop and Glop, I didn't that anyone would recognize her!  Yes, that's Muggle but it's the image from my original rough and not Brent's final awesome painting.  The impossible one I mentioned is the crying kid behind the word "just".  He's from an ANS series 11 Wacky.  Oh and no one's noticed the character Paul had me add.  As a hint, it's the first official Wacky that Paul Harris wrote.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:16:05 PM by Joe G. »

• Administrator
« Reply #654 on: May 17, 2017, 11:10:04 AM »
one Wacky title today

13 Reasons It Doesn’t Make Sense - Im

based on a Netflix series that just got renewed for a second season

Offline bwing

« Reply #655 on: May 17, 2017, 11:16:29 AM »
I've been a loyal buyer up until this one. (I know what you are all saying - What took you so long????)

BUT NO WAY CAN I BUY THIS ONE - NOT A CHANCE!!!

THIS IS CRAP!!!!

I needed to break the cycle and I appreciate Topps putting out this garbage today so I could finally stop the need to "collect them all"

It is quite liberating  ;)

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #656 on: May 17, 2017, 11:54:15 AM »
I've been a loyal buyer up until this one. (I know what you are all saying - What took you so long????)

THIS IS CRAP!!!!

I needed to break the cycle and I appreciate Topps putting out this garbage today so I could finally stop the need to "collect them all"

THX - my point EXACTLY!!! getting worse and worse...She's lucky TRUMPSTER doesn't run Topps or SHE WOULD and SHOULD BE FIRED!!!!! >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #657 on: May 17, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »

Yes, very liberating once that feeling of suffocation disappears.

All hail the Bulk Buyers "Economy" Club!

(Waiting to see what happens with the "select" cards Dr. Deal has listed on eBay. Might try it myself.  As it stands, I have a few hundred tied up in cards that I'll probably never bother to look at again.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:10:14 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #658 on: May 17, 2017, 03:49:48 PM »
Yes, very liberating once that feeling of suffocation disappears.

All hail the Bulk Buyers "Economy" Club!

(Waiting to see what happens with the "select" cards Dr. Deal has listed on eBay. Might try it myself.  As it stands, I have a few hundred tied up in cards that I'll probably never bother to look at again.)

I sold about ten last night and will now reduce the price on the remaining cards to move them. $3.00 per card including shipping. That price is INSANE.

Andrew

• Administrator
« Reply #659 on: May 17, 2017, 04:45:50 PM »
certainly not at full price!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #660 on: May 17, 2017, 05:30:50 PM »
I sold about ten last night...

Hey, at least you got about $50 back!  (Who would have thought?)

Just think, now you can reinvest that - in a big, whopping five card 24 HOUR EVENT SET!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 05:32:38 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #661 on: May 17, 2017, 06:28:30 PM »
So...

Does WP/GPK artwork now follow the path of cartoons and graphic novels?

Just can't stop &%$#ing, I mean, tinkering with tradition, can they?

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #662 on: May 17, 2017, 07:30:30 PM »
That Garbage Pail Kids card is getting lots of attention on facebook. Might be the most hated card art ever.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #663 on: May 17, 2017, 07:48:54 PM »
That Garbage Pail Kids card is getting lots of attention on facebook. Might be the most hated card art ever.

Yeah, I just came from there... a virtual hornet's nest!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #664 on: May 18, 2017, 04:48:06 AM »

Except for the logo, that doesn't seem to bear any resemblance to a GPK.

anything