Author Topic: Topps Wacky Packages Available for 24 Hours Only  (Read 235442 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: Topps Wacky Packages Available for 24 Hours Only
« Reply #560 on: May 05, 2017, 05:55:33 AM »
I think all of them are Im except the Starbucks one which I'd say was Neil.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #561 on: May 05, 2017, 06:38:07 AM »
I think all of them are Im except the Starbucks one which I'd say was Neil.

freakin new it - thats the one i thought was the funniest.... :] :] :]go Neil!!Dave - you and Neil need to do them all!!IMO - that Prince one was Awesome!!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #562 on: May 05, 2017, 08:38:19 AM »
Glad you liked that one! I am retired for at least a month from online duty because I'm working on the new GPK set.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #563 on: May 06, 2017, 07:00:22 AM »
Print run numbers for the entire week were finally posted late Friday.
The Tuesday and Wednesday had the usual print runs in the 160-230 range that we've seen for the past couple months.
Thursday was a different story.
All the cards, GPK and Wacky, had very low sales.
But notably, 3 of the Wacky titles sold fewer than 100.
First time ever to drop below 100 for any of the online cards.

SEASICK MERMAID SLOPPUCCINO - 120
MCDICTATORS AD - 102
SAMSTUNG GALIXNAY WONT8 - 99
TV GUILE: ROESEANNE BARF - 98
DELT YA AIRLINES AD - 97

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #564 on: May 06, 2017, 08:03:44 AM »
Print run numbers for the entire week were finally posted late Friday.
The Tuesday and Wednesday had the usual print runs in the 160-230 range that we've seen for the past couple months.
Thursday was a different story.
All the cards, GPK and Wacky, had very low sales.
But notably, 3 of the Wacky titles sold fewer than 100.
First time ever to drop below 100 for any of the online cards.

I'm new to the POD model. What's the history with this kind of model? Has it been around long? I'm wondering about the longevity of a 'series' and the point where people say 'enuff is enuff'. I would think that interest would start to wane after a while and the series would experience fatigue.

Of course, if a product is good, it will find an audience and continue to sell well. And, not to rehash a worn out topic, but most of these cards are, Im mIme opinion, below par.

Heck, maybe sales were low because everyone was saving their money for the new Guardians of the Galaxy movie.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:39:34 AM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #565 on: May 06, 2017, 08:44:08 AM »
I'm wondering about the longevity of a 'series' and the point where people say 'enuff is enuff'. I would think that interest would start to wane after a while and the series would experience fatigue.

I would agree.  And whether one is part of the Bulk Buyer's Club or not, small fortunes have been doled out in pursuit of these cards.  Face it, these are expensive sets.  And as far as "collect 'em all" goes, there is absolutely no end in sight.  I could see how this would daunt many, including myself.

On a similar note, just think how refreshing and undemanding it would be to be able to collect a set of 33 cards and 1 checklist puzzle.  No parallels, etc., but just a simple set.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #566 on: May 06, 2017, 08:47:24 AM »

On a similar note, just think how refreshing and undemanding it would be to be able to collect a set of 33 cards and 1 checklist puzzle.  No parallels, etc., but just a simple set.

That's the plan for the next set of Pranky Products!

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #567 on: May 06, 2017, 08:55:06 AM »
That's the plan for the next set of Pranky Products!

What?!?!?!? Not 100 in the base set with parallel sets of red, green, pink, blue, orange, brown, silver, and gold? Sorry, Neil, that's a terrible plan. Wacky collectors will never warm to your idea  ;)
Brian Mc

• Administrator
« Reply #568 on: May 06, 2017, 10:52:38 AM »
  I'm new to the POD model. What's the history with this kind of model? Has it been around long? I'm wondering about the longevity of a 'series' and the point where people say 'enuff is enuff'. I would think that interest would start to wane after a while and the series would experience fatigue.

Of course, if a product is good, it will find an audience and continue to sell well. And, not to rehash a worn out topic, but most of these cards are, Im mIme opinion, below par.

Heck, maybe sales were low because everyone was saving their money for the new Guardians of the Galaxy movie.
LOL. GotG2.
I know that's what I was saving my money for!  btw - It is Groot!

For history - PoD really kicked off with GPKs in Feb 2016 for the Iowa Caucus. Then it was non-stop mini-sets up through the year until the start of the Disgrace series in late September. It wasn't until mid-November that Wacky's started sporadically showing up.
It stayed heavy on the GPKs up until April, when the tables turned and now the majority are Wacky's.

Trumpocracy 2017 was a 'new' set that started Tuesday, and its sales were 346. So 'new' sets seem to start well. Everyone just wants card #1.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #569 on: May 06, 2017, 11:04:07 AM »
What?!?!?!? Not 100 in the base set with parallel sets of red, green, pink, blue, orange, brown, silver, and gold? Sorry, Neil, that's a terrible plan. Wacky collectors will never warm to your idea  ;)

You neglected to mention wood, lumber, leather, lace, grass, bronze, red ludlow, black ludlow, green ludlow, tan backs, white backs, autographed, sepia, printing plates, chrome, refractors, black, canvas black, rubber, craquelure, impressionist, cubist, plastic, coloring book, stained glass, pixelated, sandpaper, black & white, thermal, stone, super-sized, water color, needlepoint, fish eye, aluminum foil, comic book, mosaic, and wrought iron.

Come to think of it, does anyone actually know how many different types of parallels have been issued over the years?

MUST COLLECT THEM ALL!

And speaking of parallels, look at these beauties I just received in the mail!

"Sepia"

"Thermal"

"X-Ray"

"Comic Book"

And my all-time-favorite, "Transparent!"

(Note: With apologies to Mr. Camera.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:09:32 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #570 on: May 06, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »

You neglected to mention wood, lumber, leather, lace, grass, bronze, red ludlow, black ludlow, green ludlow, tan backs, white backs, autographed, sepia, printing plates, chrome, refractors, black, canvas black, rubber, craquelure, impressionist, cubist, plastic, coloring book, stained glass, pixelated, sandpaper, black & white, thermal, stone, super-sized, water color, needlepoint, fish eye, aluminum foil, comic book, mosaic, and wrought iron.

Come to think of it, does anyone actually know how many different types of parallels have been issued over the years?

MUST COLLECT THEM ALL!

"Sepia"

"Thermal"

"X-Ray"

"Comic Book"

Careful what you wish for! You got me thinking about putting lenticulars in the next set!

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #571 on: May 06, 2017, 01:48:03 PM »

MUST COLLECT THEM ALL!

"Sepia"

"Thermal"

"X-Ray"

"Comic Book"

Hahahahahaha. This post is awesome. Well done BB
Brian Mc

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #572 on: May 06, 2017, 02:09:52 PM »

For history - PoD really kicked off with GPKs in Feb 2016 for the Iowa Caucus. Then it was non-stop mini-sets up through the year until the start of the Disgrace series in late September. It wasn't until mid-November that Wacky's started sporadically showing up.

So, POD hasn't really been around that long. Well, we shall see how much the market will put up with and for how long.

I wonder what the break-even point is for Topps on these cards. 100? 50? 1? Would be interesting to know.
Brian Mc

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #573 on: May 06, 2017, 03:17:12 PM »
Hahahahahaha. This post is awesome. Well done BB

Thanks, Brian.  I'm glad you enjoyed them.

I'm beginning to see why so many Wacky enthusiasts collect "rainbows" - not simply to own all the parallels of a given title, but also because it allows one an added opportunity to compare and contrast the myriad, wonderful features of a particular title.

For example, in Neil Camera's "Stone Cold Crunchy Rocky Road," one can better appreciate the artist's skillful command of lighting when the original card is placed side-by-side with the "x-ray" parallel.  Likewise, the illustrator's artistic mastery - nay, alchemistical wizardry - of color detail becomes so much more apparent when the "thermal" parallel is contrasted against the "comic book" parallel.  Nowhere, however, in my humble opinion, are the subtle nuances of the painter's craft, proficiency, and capabilities made more evident than when one overlays the "transparent" parallel on the original title while pressing both firmly against a window pane on a clear, sunshiny day.  The overall sensation one experiences is sublime, glorious, and, yes, dare I say, even exalting and spiritual.

(Note: I've yet to see this firsthand, but I've heard whispers that Mr. Camera even painted this particular title on the pelt of a wild boar (circa 1888) which he acquired while on holiday in Prague.  Rumor has it that one must view this masterpiece through a special lens - or risk irreversibly scorching the retina's of one's eyes as this image is so remarkably strong and powerful.)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:30:37 PM by Baked Bears »

• Administrator
« Reply #574 on: May 07, 2017, 09:24:51 AM »
updated sales plot for Wacky's. Color coding into monthly segments.

Online Swiski

« Reply #575 on: May 08, 2017, 07:30:42 AM »
On a similar subject - I was always under the impression that the Topps On-Demand products are available to purchase during the time slot they pick (24 hours or 1 week) but the Star Wars May the 4th On Demand set is sold out already?!! I wanted to get one for a simple base set, but waited too long I guess. Didn't want to pay $60. Now I have to deal with the eBay money grubbers! Hopefully someone will sell just a base card set for a decent price.

• Administrator
« Reply #576 on: May 08, 2017, 08:00:52 AM »
On a similar subject - I was always under the impression that the Topps On-Demand products are available to purchase during the time slot they pick (24 hours or 1 week) but the Star Wars May the 4th On Demand set is sold out already?!! I wanted to get one for a simple base set, but waited too long I guess. Didn't want to pay $60. Now I have to deal with the eBay money grubbers! Hopefully someone will sell just a base card set for a decent price.
I was looking at those when I got the flyer last week.
You had to go to the page and read through the tiny details.
One of the few things they've done in limited supply

AVAILABLE ONE WEEK ONLY OR UNTIL SUPPLIES LAST

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #577 on: May 08, 2017, 09:25:35 AM »
I missed the Star Wars set, thought I had plenty of time to order. Damn.... Anyone have an extra??

Offline bwing

« Reply #578 on: May 10, 2017, 09:24:59 AM »
3 new ones today

Donald Dump's Dictionary
Donald Dump's Self-Report Card
Abraham Lincoln's Inauguration Book

Much better than most of the prior listings

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #579 on: May 10, 2017, 10:18:43 AM »
Boy, oh, boy!  Seems almost everything is becoming dividided lately!  The country is becoming dividided!  The Bulk Buyers Club has become dividided!  Even the Wacky titles are becoming dividided:  Those with correct spelling and those without correct spelling!

Please, please, please!  These titles pass through multiple hands.  Can't somebody run a quick spell check?  To be honest, this is becoming an embarrassment.

Online Swiski

« Reply #580 on: May 10, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »
3 new ones today

Donald Dump's Dictionary
Donald Dump's Self-Report Card
Abraham Lincoln's Inauguration Book

Much better than most of the prior listings

You're kidding...right?!

Offline bwing

« Reply #581 on: May 10, 2017, 10:43:17 AM »
Yes and no.

On the up side, at least they made me laugh a little and are slightly artistic.

On the down side, these (and most of the other recent titles) aren't Wacky Packages (funny product parodies).

I guess the bar has gotten so low that if I laugh a little, they are OK.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #582 on: May 10, 2017, 11:51:21 AM »
Is this supposed to say "China?"  "Ghana?"  Or is "Ghina" part of the gag, and I'm just not getting it?

Offline bwing

« Reply #583 on: May 10, 2017, 12:12:52 PM »
"Ghina" is the way that Trump says China

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #584 on: May 10, 2017, 01:37:10 PM »
Is this supposed to say "China?"  "Ghana?"  Or is "Ghina" part of the gag, and I'm just not getting it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eUW3han1cQ

Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #585 on: May 10, 2017, 03:18:22 PM »
These last few are just terrible wordy nonsense- totally away from the Wacky tradition :sad:

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #586 on: May 10, 2017, 04:04:50 PM »
"Ghina" is the way that Trump says China

The "gag" writer is making the mistake of thinking everyone is familiar with every bit of minutia Trump haters come up with to mock him. I had no idea what this meant either.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #587 on: May 10, 2017, 04:08:45 PM »
To be honest, this is becoming an embarrassment.
And not just because of the spellelling.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #588 on: May 11, 2017, 07:28:30 AM »
The "gag" writer is making the mistake of thinking everyone is familiar with every bit of minutia Trump haters come up with to mock him. I had no idea what this meant either.

These were all horrible in what everyone noted above - pls STOP!! and take an english class too...its all embassing...  :sad: :sad: :sad:

• Administrator
« Reply #589 on: May 11, 2017, 01:04:10 PM »
3 new titles today

Dump Ketchup for Steaks - Im
Jolly Orange Giant - Im
Donald Dump’s To Do List - Im

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:31:12 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #590 on: May 11, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »
The ketchup and to do list ones - I'm being completely serious - I don't see a shred of humor, and in the case of the ketchup it just leaves me scratching my head. Someone is actually sending Topps money for these - wow.

Offline Kook

« Reply #591 on: May 11, 2017, 01:56:03 PM »
The ketchup and to do list ones - I'm being completely serious - I don't see a shred of humor, and in the case of the ketchup it just leaves me scratching my head. Someone is actually sending Topps money for these - wow.

This seems to me just a grass roots "election sour grapes" project from a Topps higher up. It's their contribution to giving Trump (& half their audience ~ more or less) the finger. Buy 'em or not, I don't think they really care, as long as they can spread their message.

Politics had nothing to do with wackys before the election, or for the past 50 years for that matter. These political wackys are purely agenda driven IMO. Could ANYONE imagine wackys like these coming out about Obama? The company & artists would have been burned at the stake.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #592 on: May 11, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »
Could ANYONE imagine wackys like these coming out about Obama? The company & artists would have been burned at the stake.

Hillary is fair game, if only to create the illusion of balance. But Obama must always be sacrosanct.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #593 on: May 11, 2017, 02:23:07 PM »
quote author=Fanatical_and_Sickly

His right-side knee and calf appear to be attached backwards / sideways?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #594 on: May 11, 2017, 03:07:31 PM »
Hillary is fair game, if only to create the illusion of balance. But Obama must always be sacrosanct.

During the election, they did a lot of GPK titles of Clinton and Sanders, as well as others in the race.  There were also a couple of Obama parodies.  I don't know if Topps would have now been doing mean spirited President Clinton "Wackys" had she won, or if this is an agenda thing as some have proposed.  Meanwhile, I wish they would just stop.  Reaganets and Prez were funny (to me, anyway), but they were one sticker in sets of at least 44, and actually seemed like Wackys.  Most of the new "Wackys" Topps is offering are not funny, don't seem like Wackys, and now we're getting them in batches.

I guess with Topps keeping this up, there is no way to keep politics out of the Wacky discussions. 
 Topps - PLEASE STOP!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:12:44 PM by RawGoo »

anything