Author Topic: Topps Wacky Packages Available for 24 Hours Only  (Read 234941 times)

Offline Baked Bears

Re: Topps Wacky Packages Available for 24 Hours Only
« Reply #490 on: April 15, 2017, 05:40:45 PM »
None for Easter 2017? Why not Marshmallow Trump Peeps?

Yeah, I was hoping for an Easter title, too, to add to my little collection.  Being there is not an Easter set, I bought a few extra cards and made one of my own.  (Pathetic, perhaps?  Fanatical?  Who knows?  Or maybe I just like Wackys.  I wonder, do others have their own little, independent, self-created sets as well?  Cigs?  Booze?  Dogs?  Toys?  Cereal?)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #491 on: April 18, 2017, 03:21:27 PM »
3 titles total today, and all 3 are Wackys. That's a first!
A reflection of the GPKs that had low sales figures for the past few weeks?

Donald's Easter Surprise Basket - Neil Camera
Fuma Ad - JungHwa Im
Fan Down Ticket - JungHwa Im

based off one of the pics from the recent Puma ads with Kylie Jenner

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:48:05 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #492 on: April 18, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »
Althetes?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #493 on: April 18, 2017, 05:34:53 PM »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #494 on: April 18, 2017, 05:53:10 PM »
Althetes?

I HATE that!!!  And, I don't even get the gag.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #495 on: April 18, 2017, 06:13:21 PM »
Althetes?

Good eyes, Scheres!

I didn't understand the gag either and was forced to research it.

"Puma" makes shoes, it appears, that are endorsed by celebrities, not "althetes."  (At this point, I will be polite and refrain from any further comments.)

On another note, I'm glad an Easter title managed to make it through!

• Administrator
« Reply #496 on: April 19, 2017, 01:00:53 PM »
Four more - well, "less than stellar" IMO, titles today:

Dump Steaks - JungHwa Im
DNC Inter-Office Memo - JungHwa Im
The Hate of the Furious - JungHwa Im
Grumpaldo Rivera - JungHwa Im

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:48:19 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline bwing

« Reply #497 on: April 19, 2017, 01:19:33 PM »
I agree - the offerings today are poor.

Does everyone think the "Trumpocracy - The First 100 Days" will go until the 100 day mark or beyond? (We are at day 89)

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #498 on: April 19, 2017, 01:22:56 PM »
I'm guessing we will see some Bill Oreilly tomorrow.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #499 on: April 19, 2017, 04:06:59 PM »
I agree - the offerings today are poor.

Too rushed.  Too bland.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #500 on: April 19, 2017, 04:52:08 PM »
Does everyone think the "Trumpocracy - The First 100 Days" will go until the 100 day mark or beyond? (We are at day 89)

11 more days, huh?

I would think "Trumpocracy - The First 100 Days" has to end, but my guess is that it will simply be replaced with something similar like "Trumpocracy - Year One."  I've a feeling that "Network Spews" will still carry on.  Not so sure about "Alternative Facts."  This seems to have faded, both from Wackys and real life.  And "Twitster" was left behind long ago.  (Come to think of it, I probably should have collected these.  What were there?  3 of them?  These will probably end up being the rare, hard-to-find titles someday.  But, then again, maybe not.)

Now that you brought up the fact that "Trumpocracy" might be ending, mixed feelings have begun to stir inside me.  To be honest, I could have lived without the 4 titles today.  Without relisting everything, we are all very aware of the many changes Wackys have been subjected to recently.  And now, with each and every passing day, more and more and more of the titles have this rushed - and dare I say, even cheap and uninspired - look about them: Paint a person, scan the image into a computer, choose a plain background, and then type in the lettering.  Presto!  Done!  This is not art, let alone artwork - one of the features for which Wackys have been renowned during the past 50 years.

Secondly, the humor is 1) often very remote (or inconsequential) and 2) basically consist of one-liners that don't carry any real weight.  It's the kind of humor one might find in a casual conversation around the water cooler, a passing observation, an utterance by a morning DJ, nothing more.  Compare yesterday's "Fuma" with, say, "Frosted Snakes" or "Struggle Stool Softener."  The last two titles would take at least a full paragraph to describe, what with their various gags and rich artwork.  "Fuma" would take a sentence or two.  And as far as the so-called "artwork" goes, where are the gags in it?  There are none!  Absolutely none at all!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:56:11 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline quas

« Reply #501 on: April 19, 2017, 05:04:28 PM »
11 more days, huh?

I would think "Trumpocracy - The First 100 Days" has to end, but my guess is that it will simply be replaced with something similar like "Trumpocracy - Year One."  I've a feeling that "Network Spews" will still carry on.  Not so sure about "Alternative Facts."  This seems to have faded, both from Wackys and real life.  And "Twitster" was left behind long ago.  (Come to think of it, I probably should have collected these.  What were there?  3 of them?  These will probably end up being the rare, hard-to-find titles someday.  But, then again, maybe not.)

Now that you brought up the fact that "Trumpocracy" might be ending, mixed feelings have begun to stir inside me.  To be honest, I could have lived without the 4 titles today.  Without relisting everything, we are all very aware of the many changes Wackys have been subjected to recently.  And now, with each and every passing day, more and more and more of the titles have this rushed - and dare I say, even cheap and uninspired - look about them: Paint a person, scan the image into a computer, choose a plain background, and then type in the lettering.  Presto!  Done!  This is not art, let alone artwork - one of the features for which Wackys have been renowned during the past 50 years.

Secondly, the humor is 1) often very remote (or inconsequential) and 2) basically consist of one-liners that don't carry any real weight.  It's the kind of humor one might find in a casual conversation around the water cooler, a passing observation, an utterance by a morning DJ, nothing more.  Compare yesterday's "Fuma" with, say, "Frosted Snakes" or "Struggle Stool Softener."  The last two titles would take at least a full paragraph to describe, what with their various gags and rich artwork.  "Fuma" would take a sentence or two.  And as far as the so-called "artwork" goes, where are the gags in it?  There are none!  Absolutely none at all!

Agree!!
Marc

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #502 on: April 19, 2017, 06:11:36 PM »
Sorry, but I'm still not finished.  Yesterday I held my tongue and was polite.  Today is a different story.

Every afternoon as soon as my students have left for the day, I log into Topps to see the latest 24 hour Wackys - hoping I might be pleasantly surprised.  I mean, I look forward to this.  Upon opening my computer today, however, my first thought was, "What is this garbage?"  (And mind, I'm still being polite here!)

The reason Wackys are around, the purpose - the essence - of their very existence is to make people smile.  (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)  The money generated by the Wackys is secondary.  First people must smile, then they will pay for more.

And yet, I'm not smiling today.  Moreover, having paid $20, I'm feeling like a fool that has been ripped-off. 

And so, I'll state the obvious and say right now that the emperor has no clothes.  I'll call a spade a spade.  The following is not a Wacky.  It is not a Wacky at all.  To call this a Wacky is an insult to Wackys.  This is crap, plain and simple.

I'm sorry, but there is nothing humorous AT ALL about this.  What is the gag?  Yes, Tom Perez requested the resignation letters of all current staffers.  Okay.  And essentially, this is what the "sticker" says:  Tom Perez wishes to get rid of his staff.  So what?  Where is the twist, the humor?  Don't Wackys usually take something and put a twist on it?  And it's not even a caricature of Tom Perez.  It's just Tom Perez.  Whoop-de-doo!  Even an editorial cartoon could do better than this!

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #503 on: April 19, 2017, 06:40:34 PM »
Sorry, but I'm still not finished.  Yesterday I held my tongue and was polite.  Today is a different story.

Every afternoon as soon as my students have left for the day, I log into Topps to see the latest 24 hour Wackys - hoping I might be pleasantly surprised.  I mean, I look forward to this.  Upon opening my computer today, however, my first thought was, "What is this garbage?"  (And mind, I'm still being polite here!)

The reason Wackys are around, the purpose - the essence - of their very existence is to make people smile.  (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)  The money generated by the Wackys is secondary.  First people must smile, then they will pay for more.

And yet, I'm not smiling today.  Moreover, having paid $20, I'm feeling like a fool that has been ripped-off. 

And so, I'll state the obvious and say right now that the emperor has no clothes.  I'll call a spade a spade.  The following is not a Wacky.  It is not a Wacky at all.  To call this a Wacky is an insult to Wackys.  This is crap, plain and simple.

I'm sorry, but there is nothing humorous AT ALL about this.  What is the gag?  Yes, Tom Perez requested the resignation letters of all current staffers.  Okay.  And essentially, this is what the "sticker" says:  Tom Perez wishes to get rid of his staff.  So what?  Where is the twist, the humor?  Don't Wackys usually take something and put a twist on it?  And it's not even a caricature of Tom Perez.  It's just Tom Perez.  Whoop-de-doo!  Even an editorial cartoon could do better than this!

I'm a little unclear. Are you saying you don't like today's cards​?  :P
Brian Mc

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #504 on: April 19, 2017, 06:48:01 PM »
  I'm a little unclear. Are you saying you don't like today's cards​?  :P

(I did a double take when I first read this!  Thanks, Brian, for making me smile!  I desperately needed it!)

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #505 on: April 19, 2017, 07:03:34 PM »

(I did a double take when I first read this!  Thanks, Brian, for making me smile!  I desperately needed it!)
Share your pain with me, and gain strength from it!
Brian Mc

Offline bwing

« Reply #506 on: April 20, 2017, 12:51:33 PM »
Again - 4 new Wackys today

Make the Depression Great Again Hat (Trumpocracy)
Baffleship (Alternative Facts)
Big Mess (Network Spews)
Bazonga (Network Spews)

I love Baffleship and Big Mess is pretty good too.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #507 on: April 20, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »
It's just Tom Perez.
It's not even that. It's Tom Prez. Maybe a nod to the 1991 Prez Wacky? LOL! What doofus did this? And what other doofus didn't catch the spelling mistake?!?! They just keep thrusting this stuff out their ass...and that's exactly what it is (stuff which comes out your ass, if you know what I'm sayin' to ya). SOOOO glad I don't buy any of this...

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #508 on: April 20, 2017, 04:52:14 PM »
SOOOO glad I don't buy any of this...

Yeah, rub more of it in our faces, why don't cha?  There's a small spot on my chin that Topps missed!  If you'll be kind enough to touch up that one little spot, my "shit monster" costume for next Halloween will be 100% complete!!!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #509 on: April 20, 2017, 07:38:23 PM »
Let me amend my post just above: not ALL of the recent stuff has been bad. Not all is worthless. There has been some cleverness and good art (and I think we all know which artists don't rush their work and produce respectable results). But, it sure looks like more and more of the lower end is surfacing. Doesn't change my mind: I am still soooo glad I don't purchase any of it. Just didn't want to come across as attacking ALL artists' work. <mic drop>

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #510 on: April 20, 2017, 09:48:37 PM »
Doesn't Sheldon say "Bazinga," not "Bazonga" on "Big Bang Theory"?  Just wondering about the change in vowels...

• Administrator
« Reply #511 on: April 21, 2017, 05:23:31 AM »
Doesn't Sheldon say "Bazinga," not "Bazonga" on "Big Bang Theory"?  Just wondering about the change in vowels...
the change is to make it look similar to the name of the original product, which is "Bazooka" gum.

Although, I think "Bazinka" would have been a better fit

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #512 on: April 21, 2017, 05:58:56 AM »
The Bazonga title is loosely based on an idea of mine, and it was originally
supposed to, indeed, be "Bazinga!," but I learned this morning that the
term/word/phrase "Bazinga!" is trademarked and can't be used directly,
thus the slight change.  (I think the exclamation point is part of the trademark, too!)

Ironically, I think "Bazonga" works just as well, and if you look up what
bazonga is slang for, it adds to the Wacky-ness!  Great decision by Topps!

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #513 on: April 21, 2017, 10:14:08 PM »
Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks for the explanation.

• Administrator
« Reply #514 on: April 25, 2017, 12:47:02 PM »
off to the unicorn races for the week, with 4 more titles

Unicappuccino - JungHwa Im
Puzzler Alphabet Soup - Joe Grossberg
Hammy-Let - JungHwa Im
Teed Off Tater Tots - JungHwa Im

and the basis for some of the pieces

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:48:53 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Online Joe G.

« Reply #515 on: April 25, 2017, 12:56:25 PM »
off to the unicorn races for the week, with 4 more titles

Unicappuccino
Puzzler Alphabet Soup
Hammy-Let
Teed Off Tater Tots

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Which PoD Wacky did I paint?  Can you solve that Riddle?

Online Joe G.

« Reply #516 on: April 25, 2017, 02:00:04 PM »
Which PoD Wacky did I paint?  Can you solve that Riddle?

No guesses huh.  Well one more hint, it's in the shape of a can...

Offline Soremel

« Reply #517 on: April 25, 2017, 02:13:05 PM »
No guesses huh.  Well one more hint, it's in the shape of a can...

OOoooohh.... ooh... pick me, pick me! Just saw this... I guessed it with out the hint! ;D

Great job, Joe!  :great:

Online Joe G.

« Reply #518 on: April 25, 2017, 02:44:05 PM »
OOoooohh.... ooh... pick me, pick me! Just saw this... I guessed it with out the hint! ;D

Great job, Joe!  :great:

Thanks George, that gave me a laugh!  Yes, George is correct, it's that one.  As for your prize I will be sending a signed copy of the card!

My son Josh is a huge fan of the show Gotham and has been eagerly awaiting it's Spring return.  I've been hearing a lot about it lately,  so naturally had to paint up a Wacky.  As usual I did have, as Ringo likes to say, a little help from my friends as the great Paul Harris lent a hand.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:45:43 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #519 on: April 25, 2017, 02:55:50 PM »
Thanks, Joe, you're being way too kind!  Puzzler Soup looks great, I'll have a bowl for dinner tonight!

Big kudos to a dear friend and one of the best guys I know!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #520 on: April 25, 2017, 06:03:19 PM »
I think this is the last week of Trumpocracy. I should have two pieces in the set over the next few days. Haven't had any in the series in over 3 weeks I think (had an operation then got the flu then vacation...).

After this I'm not sure what's next but Network Spews will be continuing so I expect more Wackys on a weekly basis. There may be another new series as well.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #521 on: April 25, 2017, 06:14:50 PM »
I think this is the last week of Trumpocracy. I should have two pieces in the set over the next few days. Haven't had any in the series in over 3 weeks I think (had an operation then got the flu then vacation...).

After this I'm not sure what's next but Network Spews will be continuing so I expect more Wackys on a weekly basis. There may be another new series as well.

Thanks for the update.  Also good to know we can expect some more of your pieces.  You've been missed.  Trust me.

• Administrator
« Reply #522 on: April 25, 2017, 07:35:32 PM »

great news Dave. Your work has really been missed lately.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:43:14 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

• Administrator
« Reply #523 on: April 25, 2017, 07:42:59 PM »
No guesses huh. 
I'm still working on the riddle spelled out in the bowl...

• Administrator
« Reply #524 on: April 26, 2017, 12:50:15 PM »
a 5 card hit today!

Cushy Bullet Proof Vest - JungHwa Im
EPA Press Release - JungHwa Im
Snicker - David Gross
Boss Hacking Headphones - JungHwa Im
The X-tremely Old Folks - JungHwa Im

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:49:13 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

anything