Author Topic: Topps Wacky Packages Available for 24 Hours Only  (Read 235473 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: Topps Wacky Packages Available for 24 Hours Only
« Reply #280 on: January 23, 2017, 01:49:34 PM »
Sorry everyone I was so busy with the art that I forgot to let everyone know in advance. Will try to give a heads up on things.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: January 23, 2017, 01:51:22 PM »
I didn't get an email either. I just happened to be looking around their website at the right moment.

I can't see any of them right now, but from your post it sounds like they are all still political, and I am sick of those.  I want WACKYS!!!  Topps - are you out there??????

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #282 on: January 23, 2017, 02:01:48 PM »
I can't see any of them right now, but from your post it sounds like they are all still political, and I am sick of those.  I want WACKYS!!!  Topps - are you out there??????
Well, it is a set specific to the inauguration, so kind of tough not to be political, but hopefully the upcoming Spews set will be lighter on politics. Might be all pop culture and celebrities though, have to wait and see

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #283 on: January 23, 2017, 02:08:09 PM »
Well, it is a set specific to the inauguration, so kind of tough not to be political, but hopefully the upcoming Spews set will be lighter on politics. Might be all pop culture and celebrities though, have to wait and see

Yes, the new set will have anything in the news that week so political, celebrity, world news, pop culture, etc so that will open things up a bit to more regular WP stuff mixed with the others but still timely.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #284 on: January 23, 2017, 02:13:57 PM »

Pat, I agree the gags are getting so one note!  The wonderful thing about Wackys is variety.  They're all so different and that's what makes a new set fun to see!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:37:32 PM by Joe G. »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #285 on: January 23, 2017, 02:32:46 PM »
Just dropped $30 on 3 Wackies.  Too bad this item is not offered with bulk discount. Many thanks to Patrick for heading up the Bulk Discount Club!

Regards,  Andrew

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #286 on: January 23, 2017, 02:50:18 PM »
Just dropped $30 on 3 Wackies.  Too bad this item is not offered with bulk discount. Many thanks to Patrick for heading up the Bulk Discount Club!

Regards,  Andrew

I found them, and for $10 apiece, I will be passing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:04:21 PM by RawGoo »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #287 on: January 23, 2017, 03:07:01 PM »
Yes, the new set will have anything in the news that week so political, celebrity, world news, pop culture, etc so that will open things up a bit to more regular WP stuff mixed with the others but still timely.

If that's the case, I fear that I am not going to enjoy or appreciate these at all.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #288 on: January 23, 2017, 03:48:44 PM »
Here's a direct link to the Inauguration cards (there's a few of them):

https://www.topps.com/shop-entertainment-brands/garbage-pail-kids/presidential-inaug-hurl-ceremony.html
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #289 on: January 23, 2017, 04:38:28 PM »
Just shelled out my $30.00 - and I feel like a schmuck, like I've been taken, like Topps just bent me over the barrel again (which they have.)  I don't know which would be worse: Shelling out another $30 or starring in a pivotal scene from the film "Deliverance."  I suppose it's all one and the same.

One shouldn't feel like this, though.  I should be feeling joy and delight from my purchase - not the other way around.

As I read the other posts, I also realize that I am not alone, and, indeed, enough is enough.  If Topps had offered up the entire set of - what is it now, 18 cards? - how many of us would have paid $180.00 for it? 

I admit, there were some cards that made me smile and laugh.  The humor was relevant, biting, and caustic.  These cards, however, could just have easily rendered as GPK cards.  In fact, sometimes I had to double check the online label to make certain I was purchasing an actual Wacky.  There's the rub, though.  Are they Wackys?  True Wackys?  Or, having been stamped as "Wacky Packages" on the back, are they just another series of cards posing as Wackys?

Sometimes I wonder why I am even purchasing particular cards.  Because they say "Wacky Packages" on them?  Because I need them to maintain and/or complete my collection?  Because I believe they might be worth something in the future - like the famous 16th set?  (Twenty years from now, I'll be 74 and highly wonder if I'll even care.)

Some years ago, my ex started to get into the "Ninja Turtles,"  that is the old, original comic series.  I admit, there was a certain appeal.  They were dark, not at all what I had expected.  Later, I purchased her a few of the figures.  Then a few more.  And so on.  You know how it goes.  Eventually, however, the entire franchise just became positively ridiculous: "Star Trek" Ninja Turtles, Ninja Turtles in birthday suits, you name it.  And that was that.  The end.

This is the direction I fear Topps is taking, has been taking.  They are going to milk Wackys to their very demise through "clever" marketing strategies and tangents.  If they haven't already, people are going to become more and more disgusted.  No, wrong word: Disheartened.  It's happening now.  Just read some of the posts above.

I am grateful for the "Bulk Discount Club" and will try that for awhile and see how it goes.  But right now, I am wondering.  What will the next round of cards be like?  Will they even be Wackys?  Or simply an unrelated "celebrity" set with the Wacky name forced upon it?  I guess time will tell.

What's really a shame, though, - despite the fact that many products were tripled parodied, despite the fact that multiple series flooded the market certain years, despite the fact that parallel cards reached new and outlandish unprecedented numbers - is that Wackys still held such promise and potential.  They had "heart."  And, if it's not too late, still can.

Postscript:  Is Topps part of Donald Trump's holdings?  It really, really wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Administrator
« Reply #290 on: January 23, 2017, 04:59:22 PM »
Here's a direct link to the Inauguration cards (there's a few of them):

https://www.topps.com/shop-entertainment-brands/garbage-pail-kids/presidential-inaug-hurl-ceremony.html
Thanks
They changed the link since my post, those nerd herders!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #291 on: January 23, 2017, 05:01:50 PM »
Just shelled out my $30.00 - and I feel like a schmuck, like I've been taken, like Topps just bent me over the barrel again (which they have.)  I don't know which would be worse: Shelling out another $30 or starring in a pivotal scene from the film "Deliverance."  I suppose it's all one and the same.

One shouldn't feel like this, though.  I should be feeling joy and delight from my purchase - not the other way around.

As I read the other posts, I also realize that I am not alone, and, indeed, enough is enough.  If Topps had offered up the entire set of - what is it now, 18 cards? - how many of us would have paid $180.00 for it? 

I admit, there were some cards that made me smile and laugh.  The humor was relevant, biting, and caustic.  These cards, however, could just have easily rendered as GPK cards.  In fact, sometimes I had to double check the online label to make certain I was purchasing an actual Wacky.  There's the rub, though.  Are they Wackys?  True Wackys?  Or, having been stamped as "Wacky Packages" on the back, are they just another series of cards posing as Wackys?

Sometimes I wonder why I am even purchasing particular cards.  Because they say "Wacky Packages" on them?  Because I need them to maintain and/or complete my collection?  Because I believe they might be worth something in the future - like the famous 16th set?  (Twenty years from now, I'll be 74 and highly wonder if I'll even care.)

Some years ago, my ex started to get into the "Ninja Turtles,"  that is the old, original comic series.  I admit, there was a certain appeal.  They were dark, not at all what I had expected.  Later, I purchased her a few of the figures.  Then a few more.  And so on.  You know how it goes.  Eventually, however, the entire franchise just became positively ridiculous: "Star Trek" Ninja Turtles, Ninja Turtles in birthday suits, you name it.  And that was that.  The end.

This is the direction I fear Topps is taking, has been taking.  They are going to milk Wackys to their very demise through "clever" marketing strategies and tangents.  If they haven't already, people are going to become more and more disgusted.  No, wrong word: Disheartened.  It's happening now.  Just read some of the posts above.

I am grateful for the "Bulk Discount Club" and will try that for awhile and see how it goes.  But right now, I am wondering.  What will the next round of cards be like?  Will they even be Wackys?  Or simply an unrelated "celebrity" set with the Wacky name forced upon it?  I guess time will tell.

What's really a shame, though, - despite the fact that many products were tripled parodied, despite the fact that multiple series flooded the market certain years, despite the fact that parallel cards reached new and outlandish unprecedented numbers - is that Wackys still held such promise and potential.  They had "heart."  And, if it's not too late, still can.

Postscript:  Is Topps part of Donald Trump's holdings?  It really, really wouldn't surprise me at all.

I think we should keep in mind that this is the 50th year of Wackies and we are still getting new ones. Let's see how the year plays out in terms of offerings before we mourn the demise of Wackies as we knew them. Have faith in the artists keeping the flame burning brightly.

Andrew

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #292 on: January 23, 2017, 05:26:39 PM »
Just shelled out my $30.00 - and I feel like a schmuck, like I've been taken, like Topps just bent me over the barrel again (which they have.)

That's a heartfelt post and I think it's a smart one.  When you are involved in a hobby, especially a collecting one that demands resources and time, it's always good to reflect and analyze it.  I suspect we've all done some level of this at some time or another.  I know I have, and in so doing I've been able to let certain things go.  It was at least part of the reason I sold off 95% of my lifetime comic book collection (for pennies on the dollar). 

In the end, you just have to ask yourself the question that you clearly did; What do I get out of this?  And you touched upon it again when you mentioned the joy and delight you "should" be feeling, but in this case aren't.  That's a really great guide, I think, for any hobby and in fact for life. 

I think it's also important to remember that, when we are 80 we almost certainly will NOT care about Wacky Packages all that much.  But that's not unusual and it's okay because I just don't think things are as simple as that to inform everything you should be doing now.  That is to say, when you're 80, you probably also won't care about the meatball sub you had for lunch today or the stupid movie you watched with family or friends - but that doesn't mean that your enjoyment of it today doesn't have value or wasn't worth doing. 

If it's bumming you out today though, maybe adjust things.   

Like everyone else here, I love Wacky Packages.  My joy is informed partially by nostalgia, but also an appreciation of art and humor, as well as the sense of community and shared experience I get by visiting and being a member here.   It's all a part of it.  But while I love Wacky Packages, I've never found a terrible amount of joy in collecting/getting sketches.  I do understand the appeal, especially given how tight our community is with the artists in question - and in that I find them most appealing, because we get to have a connection to these amazingly talented individuals.  But when I look forward to a new Old School Series, for instance, I'm not looking forward to the sketches in any specific way - they just aren't a priority for me.   Yet the sketches (and the hobby's fascination with them) doesn't diminish how much joy I get from opening packs and seeing the new art and parodies.   The exception to that would be when the sketches become unique new Wackys themselves (as the Wacky/Mars Attacks/Dinosaur Attacks crossover sketch-Wackys have been). Those I am crazy for - but I just want them to be real stickers/cards.

To your other point:  Topps is most certainly stretching the category and the definition of what makes a "Wacky Package" a Wacky Package in these topical/election releases.  But... for my money, as long as they're still offering up stuff that mostly fits the original definition, I'm cool with it.  That's why I love Old School so much.  That series is much of what I want out of Wacky Packages.  And like you I find it questionable practice to call something a Wacky Package that isn't actually parodying an actual piece of consumer packaging.  But I don't fault them for trying new things.  As long as they don't kill the original things that work in the process and so far, it doesn't seem like that is what is happening. 

So I look at these print-to-order releases the way I do Wacky Packages T-shirts or other licensed goodies, I categorize them as landing outside of the realm of traditional Wacky Packages stickers.  But like those things, they offer something extra to collect if you're so inclined and enjoy collecting them.  I've only picked up a couple but I'm glad I got the ones I did.  They brought me the requisite joy to justify the $10 I spent on them.

So kudos on the moment of reflection and sharing it here - it's a healthy thing for any collector to do, I think.  I think we all relate, at least in a little way, to the points you made and the questions you asked.  Believe me, I never question my sanity and the value in what I am doing more than when I'm in my kitchen sink cleaning chocolate bar wrappers I've just meticulously removed from their contents.  But in the end, it brings me that joy and delight (not the cleaning wrappers in the sink specifically, but you get my point).  That's what it's all about. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline dth1971

« Reply #293 on: January 23, 2017, 07:05:55 PM »
Sorry everyone I was so busy with the art that I forgot to let everyone know in advance. Will try to give a heads up on things.

A 1970's Ben Cooper Halloween Costume Wacky Packages take could have fit a Wacky Packages Old School series!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #294 on: January 23, 2017, 08:29:33 PM »
Jason.

Thanks for your response.  You have some good points, and as much as I would really like to address them at this moment, I cannot.  (The time is late, and I've just realized that I still have to finish my lesson plans for the school week. Joy!)  I will, however, get back to you in a day or two.

Rob

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #295 on: January 24, 2017, 11:37:23 AM »
Get Ready:  Just Put Up On Topps On-Demand:

WACKY PACKAGES: ALTERNATIVE FACTS
CHECK BACK SOON FOR FEATURED PRODUCTS!

• Administrator
« Reply #296 on: January 24, 2017, 12:17:41 PM »
Get Ready:  Just Put Up On Topps On-Demand:

WACKY PACKAGES: ALTERNATIVE FACTS
CHECK BACK SOON FOR FEATURED PRODUCTS!
Oh man, there's a bunch of new categories up now. GPK: Trumpocracy the first 100 days. The wacky you mention. And something for Twitter I guess: Twitster, along with the GPK spews continuing. And a whole category just for bundle.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:21:07 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

• Administrator
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 01:57:41 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #298 on: January 25, 2017, 04:18:17 PM »
Received my DNC Pail Kids card today.  Curiously enough, it came inside a black envelope.  Symbolic of a funeral shroud, perhaps?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #299 on: January 25, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

• Administrator
« Reply #300 on: January 25, 2017, 05:38:03 PM »
FedEx truck leaving Topps...    >(
oh noes!!! my Wackys!!!

today gives us 3 Wackys in two sections. All four 'brands' are being listed under GPK in the Trumpocracy - The First 100 Days section

Dippin' Dots and Sara Lee pie from Joe Simko in the Alt Facts, and Hawaiian Punch from Neil Camera in the Network Spews section

https://www.topps.com/shop-entertainment-brands/garbage-pail-kids/gpk-trumpocracy-the-first-100-days.html
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:15:55 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

• Administrator
« Reply #301 on: January 26, 2017, 12:21:26 PM »
2 wackys today, and now in the Trumpocracy category.

David Gross - Tiffany & Co.  Box
David Gross - Pillsbury Cake Mix (from a Brent Engstrom sketch)

Same link as above
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:36:27 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline quas

« Reply #302 on: January 26, 2017, 12:39:25 PM »
2 wackys today, and now in the Trumpocracy category.

David Grosss - Tiffany & Co.  Box
Joe Simko - Pillsbury Cake Mix

Same link as above

So that takes care of our first patch of 6?  Just let us know when to send the next paypal payment........   :c017:
Marc

• Administrator
« Reply #303 on: January 28, 2017, 05:56:09 PM »
Surprisingly, I already received a shipping notice for the Inauguration cards that I bought this week.
Seems like they've changed their mode of operations for the 'Event' sets. For both the Thanksgiving and Christmas cards, my cards didn't ship until a couple of days after the close of the 1 week sale period. Here, the sale is still ongoing until Monday. Seems like they've stepped up to individual print-and-ship-on-demand, instead of group printing at the end.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #304 on: January 28, 2017, 07:32:16 PM »
We are not out of the first week and At this rate in the first 100 Days- we will all be personally bankrupt if all these continue.  :]

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #305 on: January 29, 2017, 02:42:47 AM »
We are not out of the first week and At this rate in the first 100 Days- we will all be personally bankrupt if all these continue.  :]

I agree. That is why it is so great that the Bulk Club started at the same time that the release pace escalated. It could not have been timed better.

Last week saw 9 cards put up for sale. We had to buy 3 on our own but got the other six for half price making it a $60 week which hurts but at least it was not $90.

Andrew

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #306 on: January 29, 2017, 03:46:10 AM »
I agree. That is why it is so great that the Bulk Club started at the same time that the release pace escalated. It could not have been timed better.

Last week saw 9 cards put up for sale. We had to buy 3 on our own but got the other six for half price making it a $60 week which hurts but at least it was not $90.

Andrew

I didn't buy the $10 cards. 

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #307 on: January 29, 2017, 12:19:16 PM »

Andrew

Hi Andrew
Is it too late to join the Bulk Club?

• Administrator
« Reply #308 on: January 29, 2017, 03:08:08 PM »
Is it too late to join the Bulk Club?
Mike,
currently the 20 cards in the Bulk Club are spoken for.
If someone in the Club decides they'd like to reduce their order, or drop out, I've started a waitlist and I'll notify the next in line.
You are now on the waitlist.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:12:02 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #309 on: January 29, 2017, 10:08:09 PM »
Mike,
currently the 20 cards in the Bulk Club are spoken for.
If someone in the Club decides they'd like to reduce their order, or drop out, I've started a waitlist and I'll notify the next in line.
You are now on the waitlist.

OK Thanks, I'll continue on The Single Buy Club until I hear of a drop out  :]

Offline dth1971

« Reply #310 on: January 30, 2017, 05:01:59 AM »
Will Topps make a current era Wacky Package for the Topps site that makes fun of current Family Feud host Steve Harvey?

• Administrator
« Reply #311 on: January 31, 2017, 11:52:08 AM »
Two Wackys today.

a 3 Doors Down CD parody in The First 100 Days (featuring some well known dorks on the cover: Ajerx, Jerkens, and others)
and
a TV Guide parody in Network Spews

https://www.topps.com/shop-entertainment-brands/garbage-pail-kids/gpk-trumpocracy-the-first-100-days.html#
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:54:24 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #312 on: January 31, 2017, 12:02:05 PM »
Two Wackys today.

a 3 Doors Down CD parody in The First 100 Days (featuring some well known dorks on the cover: Ajerx, Jerkens, and others)
and
a TV Guide parody in Network Spews

https://www.topps.com/shop-entertainment-brands/garbage-pail-kids/gpk-trumpocracy-the-first-100-days.html#

these will be part of the 'buyer's club' right??

Offline quas

« Reply #313 on: January 31, 2017, 12:20:55 PM »
these will be part of the 'buyer's club' right??

If so, I believe that would be 2 down, 6 to go?
Marc

• Administrator
« Reply #314 on: January 31, 2017, 12:43:31 PM »
Both are labeled as Wackys, so yes, definitely included. If something seems like it might be questionable, I'll bring it up for discussion.

Everyone is covered for up to 6 more, but it would be nice if they only did 4 more this week. Keep a floating buffer going forward.

anything