Author Topic: Topps Wacky Packages Available for 24 Hours Only  (Read 233330 times)

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
Re: Topps Wacky Packages Available for 24 Hours Only
« Reply #245 on: January 13, 2017, 10:24:55 AM »
These are great, Dave! There's certainly no one in my lifetime that been more skewer-worthy than that P.O.S.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2017, 12:22:23 PM »
These are great, Dave! There's certainly no one in my lifetime that been more skewer-worthy than that P.O.S.

President of States ?   ;)
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #247 on: January 13, 2017, 02:42:23 PM »

They've done a lot of Clinton, too, not to mention everyone in the primaries.  Whoever won was gonna be the main target after the election.  I just hope that these do not cause a rift between members because of politics - Wackys should be enjoyed for the art and parodies.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2017, 01:50:36 AM »
They've done a lot of Clinton, too, not to mention everyone in the primaries.  Whoever won was gonna be the main target after the election.  I just hope that these do not cause a rift between members because of politics - Wackys should be enjoyed for the art and parodies.

Great observation!  Polarization does not fit well within the the Wacky Community.   ;)

Stay wacky. Leave the politics to the other hobbies.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2017, 06:06:29 AM »

Polarization does not fit well within the the Wacky Community.   ;)

Polarbearoid fits better within the the Wacky Community.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #250 on: January 14, 2017, 07:21:28 AM »
I just put my four card Smokin Joe Demented Sketch Set in the cool plastic protecto's Topps has started to send the Topps Now Wackies in.
These are a nice way to display this set as the magnetic acrylic cases have wider side border areas which don't lend themselves to displaying billboard sketches.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #251 on: January 14, 2017, 08:29:16 AM »
That's exactly what I meant. I don't know what all the fuss is about. ;)

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:31:29 AM by Gurgle »

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #252 on: January 14, 2017, 08:31:53 AM »
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I don't know what all the fuss is about. ;)

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #253 on: January 15, 2017, 06:45:03 PM »
I have a feeling Topps is going to milk Trump for all 4 years. Talk about bring back jobs back to America, Topps is spreading the love to all artist on call. :]

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #254 on: January 16, 2017, 11:24:01 AM »
Just a heads up that the Disg-Race set ends next Thursday. After that there will be a new series which will also have WP cards in it and then WP 50th and Old School 6 for this year. Possibly some other online stuff so WP will be represented all year long.
Thanks for the heads up, Dave.  I'll have to keep a close eye on it.  Seems like the old/current series does have Wackys in it but they're just being included in the GPK series.  I'll be curious to see how they differ, if at all, from what's currently being done. 

Offline quas

« Reply #255 on: January 17, 2017, 01:45:24 PM »
Looks like a new one (L.L. Green vs L.L. Bean), although I don't really understand it politically:

https://www.topps.com/shop-entertainment-brands/garbage-pail-kids/gpk-disg-race-to-the-white-house.html#
Marc

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #256 on: January 17, 2017, 01:51:52 PM »
Looks like a new one (L.L. Green vs L.L. Bean), although I don't really understand it politically:

https://www.topps.com/shop-entertainment-brands/garbage-pail-kids/gpk-disg-race-to-the-white-house.html#

Someone in the Bean family donated to Trump.

Offline quas

« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2017, 02:43:23 PM »
Someone in the Bean family donated to Trump.

Thanks....any clue as to the artist?
Marc

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #258 on: January 17, 2017, 03:09:47 PM »
While most if not all of these are not my cup of Wacky tea...WTF is up with the JUST RIDICULOUS prices??? I cant believe anyone would pay that much....add up what the set costs???  NUTS!!!

Jim

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #259 on: January 17, 2017, 04:02:25 PM »
While most if not all of these are not my cup of Wacky tea...WTF is up with the JUST RIDICULOUS prices??? I cant believe anyone would pay that much....add up what the set costs???  NUTS!!!

Jim

I think when you look at these releases compared to what a normal set costs, it's hard to justify it.  BUT, I don't think that's the only way to look at these.

Many years ago, I pressed for Topps to do more direct-to-consumer type of releases... something akin to Mattel's Matty Collector club.  Producing special limited edition releases at somewhat premium prices to give adult collectors something different to collect and something special. 

And, while GPK is not my area of interest (nor are Wacky Packages that aren't based on a real package), I feel like these have been a clever way for Topps to dip their foot more into this pool.  And with the other Throwback Thursday sets they've been doing outside of Wackys and GPK, it's made for some appealing offerings. 

They ARE premium-priced at $10 a pop, there is no doubt, but in a format that is print-to-order, it assures that every release is quite limited.   At print runs typically less than 500 each, these are in the scarcity realm of some of the rarest of parallels and chase cards we've seen over the years.  But unlike so many of those, these are not just a border variation; they are a unique piece of artwork you are not likely to find anywhere else. 

So, where we attribute value and entertainment to the limited edition nature of things (and it's hard to argue that card collectors do not), these seem quite reasonably priced. 

I have only bought a couple myself, and I'm befuddled at the choice to change the iconic thick black border of Wacky Packages into a thin one (this is a stylistic "New Coke" change for Wacky Packages, IMO), but aside from that, I think this is a great way to try different approaches to these brands.  Allowing Topps to release unusual-yet-official extensions of their classic Wacky Packages and Garbage Pail Kids lines.   $10 a card IS pricey, but when typical packs of cards are $4 these days, it is not the craziest thing. 

I also appreciate the fact that if you show up on the day and order the card, you get it.  It's not a chase to get through an ordering system before they sell out, with the website crashing.  Scalpers hold no particular advantage with the way these are released and sold.  All you need do is show up, be willing to pay, and you get a pretty darned limited card.  And you are getting exactly what you pay for.  You aren't throwing $$ at a box in the hopes that you pull some rare parallel.  That's a pretty awesome thing. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: January 17, 2017, 04:22:53 PM »

With the $ sign in the name, seems like it should be pronounced as L.L.Greenback. Although that takes it away from being a Bean homonym.

looks similar to the LLBean Kids' Super Deluxe Book Pack

Offline drono

« Reply #261 on: January 17, 2017, 04:40:04 PM »
Scalpers hold no particular advantage with the way these are released and sold.

Scalpers can still have an advantage in buying multiple cards.  20 cards = $9.99 + $70 = $4 a card, then put them on eBay for $15.  We should probably form our own alliance and buy them in lots of 20s for ourselves at that price.

I also find their disclaimer interesting:
ALL SALES ARE FINAL. SETS SHIP IN 3-5 BUSINESS DAYS FROM WHEN PURCHASES OCCUR. ART SUBJECT TO CHANGE. NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR TYPOGRAPHIC/PRINTER ERRORS.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:43:03 PM by drono »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #262 on: January 17, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »
Scalpers can still have an advantage in buying multiple cards.  20 cards = $9.99 + $70 = $4 a card, then put them on eBay for $15.  We should probably form our own alliance and buy them in lots of 20s for ourselves at that price.

ALL SALES ARE FINAL. SETS SHIP IN 3-5 BUSINESS DAYS FROM WHEN PURCHASES OCCUR. ART SUBJECT TO CHANGE. NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR TYPOGRAPHIC/PRINTER ERRORS.

I'm not following your math on this one.  Aren't all cards $10 regardless of how many are purchased?

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #263 on: January 17, 2017, 06:37:54 PM »
I think when you look at these releases compared to what a normal set costs, it's hard to justify it.  BUT, I don't think that's the only way to look at these.

Many years ago, I pressed for Topps to do more direct-to-consumer type of releases... something akin to Mattel's Matty Collector club.  Producing special limited edition releases at somewhat premium prices to give adult collectors something different to collect and something special. 

And, while GPK is not my area of interest (nor are Wacky Packages that aren't based on a real package), I feel like these have been a clever way for Topps to dip their foot more into this pool.  And with the other Throwback Thursday sets they've been doing outside of Wackys and GPK, it's made for some appealing offerings. 

They ARE premium-priced at $10 a pop, there is no doubt, but in a format that is print-to-order, it assures that every release is quite limited.   At print runs typically less than 500 each, these are in the scarcity realm of some of the rarest of parallels and chase cards we've seen over the years.  But unlike so many of those, these are not just a border variation; they are a unique piece of artwork you are not likely to find anywhere else. 

So, where we attribute value and entertainment to the limited edition nature of things (and it's hard to argue that card collectors do not), these seem quite reasonably priced. 

I have only bought a couple myself, and I'm befuddled at the choice to change the iconic thick black border of Wacky Packages into a thin one (this is a stylistic "New Coke" change for Wacky Packages, IMO), but aside from that, I think this is a great way to try different approaches to these brands.  Allowing Topps to release unusual-yet-official extensions of their classic Wacky Packages and Garbage Pail Kids lines.   $10 a card IS pricey, but when typical packs of cards are $4 these days, it is not the craziest thing. 

I also appreciate the fact that if you show up on the day and order the card, you get it.  It's not a chase to get through an ordering system before they sell out, with the website crashing.  Scalpers hold no particular advantage with the way these are released and sold.  All you need do is show up, be willing to pay, and you get a pretty darned limited card.  And you are getting exactly what you pay for.  You aren't throwing $$ at a box in the hopes that you pull some rare parallel.  That's a pretty awesome thing.

Thanks for the perspective, Jason.  Excellent points.  That being said, I've bought only one (the one about sleeping pills so Trump wouldn't tweet) and that was after the fact on ebay.  I think one reason I'm hesitant, besides the cost, is that it's not a "set" per se.  I kinda like knowing how many items are in a set and want to have the whole thing.  As far as I know, these will go on forever (Thanks to Dave G's post, I now know that's not true), but I do like to scratch the completist itch in me and these never seemed like something I could do that with.

• Administrator
« Reply #264 on: January 17, 2017, 06:44:39 PM »
I'm not following your math on this one.  Aren't all cards $10 regardless of how many are purchased?
for the Holiday cards, that was the situation. $9.99 a pop.
for these daily Disg-race cards though, there is a bulk discount.
$9.99 + $20 ($29.99) for 5 cards
$9.99 + $40 ($49.99) for 10 cards
$9.99 + $70 ($79.99) for 20 cards

odd way of doing it. but that's what topps does on their website

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2017, 09:20:59 PM »

Ah... I didn't realize that there was a bulk discount.  Fascinating!

Even so, this puts the "scalper advantage" into an unusual place, that advantage being one of a sort of discounter.  That is to say, no scalper is getting in the way of me getting to buy the product I want at retail price - such as it is.  Oftentimes, in the realm of limited edition items, it often seems as if the entire run of things is purchased only by those people wishing to flip for profit.  That problem is avoided in this case.  We all get our chance at retail.  No one who has a desire to build a set (if they are aware and paying attention) ever needs pay an inflated price for a card due a scalper buying up a bunch. 

It gives a scalper a kind of flipping advantage, but they hold no advantage over me as a direct consumer.  That isn't the case in so many other scenarios.   It gives them an opportunity to invest for flipping, but even in that I have the exact same opportunity - if not the desire.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2017, 10:06:09 PM »
The bulk discount certainly explains how I was able to buy one of the cards for $6.50 on eBay...and that was a "Buy it Now" price!

• Administrator
« Reply #267 on: January 18, 2017, 07:20:54 AM »
Thanks....any clue as to the artist?
Possibly Joe Simko

• Administrator
« Reply #268 on: January 18, 2017, 07:36:26 AM »
We should probably form our own alliance and buy them in lots of 20s for ourselves at that price.
Is there enough interest in this? I could head up an effort in a new thread. The crux of the matter is postage.
Rigid envelope is under $1, but a padded packet is almost $4. Total in that case would almost be the same as just buying direct, so it'd have to be simple envelopes. Topps $10/card is a lot, but a good chunk of that is covering postage & handling.

Offline quas

« Reply #269 on: January 18, 2017, 08:26:28 AM »
Is there enough interest in this? I could head up an effort in a new thread. The crux of the matter is postage.
Rigid envelope is under $1, but a padded packet is almost $4. Total in that case would almost be the same as just buying direct, so it'd have to be simple envelopes. Topps $10/card is a lot, but a good chunk of that is covering postage & handling.

I would participate, so that's 3 of us.  3 down and 17 to go.
Marc

• Administrator
« Reply #270 on: January 18, 2017, 08:41:46 AM »
I would participate, so that's 3 of us.  3 down and 17 to go.
I'd take 2, so 16 left. 😋
I'll start a thread and post my idea of how to work this later today.
I'm thinking possibly 1 week blocks. Then I could bundle 3 up in padded envelopes and total postage would be about the same as 3 separate envelopes.

Offline quas

« Reply #271 on: January 18, 2017, 09:22:25 AM »
I'd take 2, so 16 left. 😋
I'll start a thread and post my idea of how to work this later today.
I'm thinking possibly 1 week blocks. Then I could bundle 3 up in padded envelopes and total postage would be about the same as 3 separate envelopes.

Good thinking.
Marc

• Administrator
« Reply #272 on: January 18, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:52:22 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

• Administrator
« Reply #273 on: January 18, 2017, 09:11:21 PM »
My bulk purchase proposal thread now posted

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=4863.0

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #275 on: January 20, 2017, 01:14:29 PM »
The Real Housewives was by Joe Simko

BTW, Disg-Race to the White House is now over. There will be a special Inauguration set on Monday (I'm working on two for this) then I believe GPK Network Spews takes over which will be GPK and Wacky Packs.

• Administrator
« Reply #276 on: January 20, 2017, 01:48:21 PM »
The Real Housewives was by Joe Simko

BTW, Disg-Race to the White House is now over. There will be a special Inauguration set on Monday (I'm working on two for this) then I believe GPK Network Spews takes over which will be GPK and Wacky Packs.
Thanks. I've been talking with Joe for confirmation, but hadn't made the update yet. I could tell it was his by the eyebrows on Michelle :-)

Really thought there'd be one last hurrah today and announcement of the end of the set.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:58:03 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

• Administrator
« Reply #277 on: January 23, 2017, 01:16:17 PM »
Yuuuge Inauguration set today.
With THREE wackys
1 week sale.
No bulk discounts

T-shirt and a Melania masquerade costume by Dave Gross and Trump Scout cookies from Joe Simko

https://www.topps.com/shop-entertainment-brands/garbage-pail-kids/gpk-stickers.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:38:52 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: January 23, 2017, 01:40:19 PM »
Yuuuge Inauguration set today.
With THREE wackys
1 week sale.
No bulk discounts

T-shirt and Melania mask by Dave Gross and Trump Scout cookies from Joe Simko

https://www.topps.com/shop-entertainment-brands/garbage-pail-kids/gpk-stickers.html

I am so disappointed with Topps!!!  I didn't even get an email about this offering.

Oh well, guess I will just focus more on my PSA stuff.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:42:20 PM by RawGoo »

• Administrator
« Reply #279 on: January 23, 2017, 01:45:16 PM »
I didn't get an email either. I just happened to be looking around their website at the right moment.