Author Topic: All I Want for the 50th is...  (Read 6506 times)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
All I Want for the 50th is...
« on: November 14, 2016, 06:30:00 AM »
All I want for the 50th is...

It's really simple! All I really want is a comprehensive Abrams book that covers Wacky Packages from 1967 - 1976 (the die-cuts, ads, series 1- 16, etc). Call it Volume 1 and A) Fix the orientation issues of the original books; B) Replace the poster images with the original series images (but present them in a separate chapter); C) Include a forward by David Saunders; D) Mention the cloth series!!!; E) Include a "rarities" chapter that features things like the lost titles, original concept art, etc; F) Include at least a small information page for each series (release dates, variations, etc.);

And if that's successful, followup with future volumes that cover the 80,s, 90's and beyond...

Anyway, I can dream, can't I?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: All I Want for the 50th is...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 07:25:39 AM »
All that and one section on the patches series, the oddball licensed items and a section on the 70's phenomenon using old pics of kids collecting the stickers, wearing the shirts and the magazine and newspaper articles on WP.

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 12:02:44 PM »
I like it Neil. I like it but how about a bigger size book then the Abrams book. Make the images slightly larger than the cards with say 4 images per page.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 12:06:15 PM »
I'd like a big coffee table book like what you just mentioned..
The first page of each series would have info like found on Greg Grant's site, just an overview of the series.
And I want all the series as well... No exceptions.
Also variations should be pinpointed.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »
All that and one section on the patches series, the oddball licensed items and a section on the 70's phenomenon using old pics of kids collecting the stickers, wearing the shirts and the magazine and newspaper articles on WP.

Absolutely! And a larger format would also be OK in my book!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 09:09:42 PM »
It would be beautiful, wouldn't it?

I'd put it on my Christmas list, but still buy one myself anyway.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Swiski

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 05:28:49 AM »
Sadly, our forum is the most qualified to put together a book of this magnitude. Topps and Abrams doesn't have someone on staff with enough passion or background knowledge to put this together. You need people like Jay Lynch or Art Spiegleman to co-write this book with assistance from Norm Saunders children. I remember a forum post from Jeff Zapata a few years back, claiming he paged through an old book at Topps with images of Wacky Packages artwork never seen before. That would be cool to get a look at that if it exists.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 05:30:37 AM »
All I want for the 50th is...

It's really simple! All I really want is a comprehensive Abrams book that covers Wacky Packages from 1967 - 1976 (the die-cuts, ads, series 1- 16, etc). Call it Volume 1 and A) Fix the orientation issues of the original books; B) Replace the poster images with the original series images (but present them in a separate chapter); C) Include a forward by David Saunders; D) Mention the cloth series!!!; E) Include a "rarities" chapter that features things like the lost titles, original concept art, etc; F) Include at least a small information page for each series (release dates, variations, etc.);

And if that's successful, followup with future volumes that cover the 80,s, 90's and beyond...

Anyway, I can dream, can't I?
Not a coffee table book, however a book like this has been released

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 07:07:43 AM »
Yep, there's been a lot of good independent books printed in the past, but I'd really like to see something "official" from the source.

Offline Beanball

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 10:59:37 AM »
Sure would be nice to have. Sign me up for one.
Opp, I forgot we were  dreaming.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 11:41:43 AM »
I'd like to add this to the dream list:

1.  Download codes of the "rarities" and a template of sorts where we could print up
our own copies of titles that would otherwise not see the light of day.

2.  Interviews from all you great artists since ANS1 with your thoughts and opinions
about the present and future of our beloved Wackys.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 11:53:12 AM »
Paul, great ideas!  My ideal would be one volume that covers the 50 years of Wackys without only focusing on the early stuff.  I feel those titles are just part of the story and it's the entire history of Wackys I'd like to see documented.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 08:32:09 PM »
Yep, there's been a lot of good independent books printed in the past, but I'd really like to see something "official" from the source.
What do you consider to be "official" and who is "the source"?  You mean Topps?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 03:37:25 AM »
What do you consider to be "official" and who is "the source"?  You mean Topps?

Actually, I should have said "licensed" as opposed to "official" since it seem a bit vague. And yes, the source would be Topps.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 03:42:45 AM »
I'd like to add this to the dream list:

1.  Download codes of the "rarities" and a template of sorts where we could print up
our own copies of titles that would otherwise not see the light of day.

2.  Interviews from all you great artists since ANS1 with your thoughts and opinions
about the present and future of our beloved Wackys.

Great ideas! Just one suggestion: Make the interviews a separate volume. I like to talk...a lot ;) !

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 07:23:40 PM »
Other than the "offiicial" 50th Anniversary set in March and Old School 6, is there anything on the docket for this year?  While I look forward to both those sets (particularly OS6), I'd sure love to see more.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 06:48:39 PM »
Would love to see a Lenticular Cover with some eye poping graphics :]

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 08:04:10 PM »
Agreed! The lenticulars were some of my favorite projects! I remind Topps every series about them, so hopefully, we get to do them again someday.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 11:49:55 AM »
Agreed! The lenticulars were some of my favorite projects! I remind Topps every series about them, so hopefully, we get to do them again someday.

I would pay more for a series that includes these lenticular. They bring out wacky's to another level. Of all things in my wacky collection, these are my favorite.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 12:09:25 PM »
I would pay more for a series that includes these lenticular. They bring out wacky's to another level. Of all things in my wacky collection, these are my favorite.

The quality of the Flashback 2 lenticulars was superb!  Still, I think Topps produced some for GPK that were even sharper.

How cool would it have been to get a lenticular set of original Wackys to celebrate the 50th Anniversary?!?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 07:14:24 PM »
Lenticulars?!

I'd jump all over that!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 07:58:34 PM »
Actually, I should have said "licensed" as opposed to "official" since it seem a bit vague. And yes, the source would be Topps.
It's like an authorized biography, which is written with the subject's direct involvement, vs. unauthorized, which is done completely independently.  It sounds like that's what you mean.

anything