Author Topic: Mag 7  (Read 12326 times)

Online NationalSpittoon

Mag 7
« on: November 06, 2016, 02:34:50 PM »
I have a question...

So many of times I've seen a "Mag 7" referenced in some form of text on this forum, whether it's on sale or something or other..

Anywho, what's the "Mag 7"?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:36:40 PM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Mag 7
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 02:44:10 PM »
It stands for "magnificent 7" and was a reference to the premium wackys Band-Ache, Run Tony, Spic and Span, Bum, Choke, Grime Heavy and Pupsi. Sometimes Scoot N/C was included and it was changed to "Mag 8."

Online NationalSpittoon

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 02:51:57 PM »
It stands for "magnificent 7" and was a reference to the premium wackys Band-Ache, Run Tony, Spic and Span, Bum, Choke, Grime Heavy and Pupsi. Sometimes Scoot N/C was included and it was changed to "Mag 8."

Oh thanks. I guess I'll take solids in having a Mag 2..  :great:

Online NationalSpittoon

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 02:55:49 PM »
Wouldn't there also be other cards in the "Mag" set though as well?

Cracked
Ratz
Jolly Mean 21
Oddie Boy

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 06:32:50 PM »
Wouldn't there also be other cards in the "Mag" set though as well?

Cracked
Ratz
Jolly Mean 21
Oddie Boy
When we coined the "mag 7" term, none of us cared about diecuts. oddie boy didn't exist and even today, I wouldn't add oddie boy to the list.  I was the first to call out Scoot no copy as I had access to the largest hoard of series 16's back then.  It was discovered quite a bit after we coined the Mag 7 term. For awhile, there was a core of 7 hard core collectors(we started calling ourselves the mag 7) who tried to work together to not bid against each other on ebay so as not to unnecessarily enrich sellers while we tried to build our collections, Jeff Weis, John Mellard, Scott Broberg, Scot Liebacher, John MacIntyre, Dennis Wagner and me.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline drono

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 07:21:39 PM »
Wow, I haven't heard a lot of those names in a long time.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 07:25:26 PM »
I guess I'll take solids in having a Mag 2   :great:

I recommend liquids if you're taking Milk of Mag for #2

Take solace in wackiness Mark...   ;)

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 05:16:50 PM »
"Mag-3 reporting in".
Been a while, guys. Ah, the good ole' days when eBay was free and Wackys had nothing printed on the back.  With all the new developments in the past few years (which most of us Mag-7 have missed out on), the original Mag-7 (8) list can probably stand to have an update. 

Seems like we never considered Ratz/Cracked or any of the Diecut variations in the list just because 1-16 was its own complete beast of a set, and Diecuts were always those weird, "older-people's Wackys" (since we 70's kids never had 'em). 

And I actually have no idea what the heck an "Oddie Boy" is, so that must be an ANS thing, right?

But the new developments on the Bum/Choke vs. Mess/Hex vs. Milk Foam/Bald part of the 4th series saga has really thrown a monkey wrench into the original 'Mag-7' spirit.  If we were inventing a list like that nowadays, it would seem that it would have to have 3 or 4 tiers separated out for things like "Print Variations" (Spit&Spill, Grime, Scoot), EARLY-pulled titles, LATE-pulled titles, and known short-runs or weird scarcities due to cross-collecting (e.g. Shotwheels & cereal titles).

Yah, I've been away from it for many years, but Wackys do tend to run in your veins.  Got a surprise email a while ago from one of the Wacky originals from the old days, which temporarily got me thinking about the stickers again.  Haven't collected 'em or even looked at 'em in a long long time, and I know almost nothing about the ANS stuff.  But when new Wacky info to old mysteries come out, that gets my attention.

So here's a question for the old gang... has anyone ever finally found a painting or image of the 8th series version of "Toadal" as a sticker yet?  That was always the #1 thing I wanted to see uncovered.  Or at least an 8th checklist with Toadal listed (and what other titles might have been cut or added).  Stay Wacky, dudes...

When we coined the "mag 7" term, none of us cared about diecuts. oddie boy didn't exist and even today, I wouldn't add oddie boy to the list.  I was the first to call out Scoot no copy as I had access to the largest hoard of series 16's back then.  It was discovered quite a bit after we coined the Mag 7 term. For awhile, there was a core of 7 hard core collectors(we started calling ourselves the mag 7) who tried to work together to not bid against each other on ebay so as not to unnecessarily enrich sellers while we tried to build our collections, Jeff Weis, John Mellard, Scott Broberg, Scot Liebacher, John MacIntyre, Dennis Wagner and me.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 10:15:24 AM »
"Mag-3 reporting in".
Been a while, guys. Ah, the good ole' days when eBay was free and Wackys had nothing printed on the back.  With all the new developments in the past few years (which most of us Mag-7 have missed out on), the original Mag-7 (8) list can probably stand to have an update. 

Seems like we never considered Ratz/Cracked or any of the Diecut variations in the list just because 1-16 was its own complete beast of a set, and Diecuts were always those weird, "older-people's Wackys" (since we 70's kids never had 'em). 

And I actually have no idea what the heck an "Oddie Boy" is, so that must be an ANS thing, right?

But the new developments on the Bum/Choke vs. Mess/Hex vs. Milk Foam/Bald part of the 4th series saga has really thrown a monkey wrench into the original 'Mag-7' spirit.  If we were inventing a list like that nowadays, it would seem that it would have to have 3 or 4 tiers separated out for things like "Print Variations" (Spit&Spill, Grime, Scoot), EARLY-pulled titles, LATE-pulled titles, and known short-runs or weird scarcities due to cross-collecting (e.g. Shotwheels & cereal titles).

Yah, I've been away from it for many years, but Wackys do tend to run in your veins.  Got a surprise email a while ago from one of the Wacky originals from the old days, which temporarily got me thinking about the stickers again.  Haven't collected 'em or even looked at 'em in a long long time, and I know almost nothing about the ANS stuff.  But when new Wacky info to old mysteries come out, that gets my attention.

So here's a question for the old gang... has anyone ever finally found a painting or image of the 8th series version of "Toadal" as a sticker yet?  That was always the #1 thing I wanted to see uncovered.  Or at least an 8th checklist with Toadal listed (and what other titles might have been cut or added).  Stay Wacky, dudes...
If you go to lostwackys.com, click on the '73-'77 Original Series section and then click on the 8th Series section, you'll find a Toadal sticker painting there.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 10:23:41 AM »
If you go to lostwackys.com, click on the '73-'77 Original Series section and then click on the 8th Series section, you'll find a Toadal sticker painting there.

What's the story on this image again? Fan created? I can't remember anything anymore.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 10:29:49 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 10:37:05 AM »
I don't know anything about it either. All I know is that it was there.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 10:47:25 AM »
What's the story on this image again? Fan created? I can't remember anything anymore.

(Image removed from quote.)

My recollection is fan based. If you compare to the poster, its the exact same image, flake for flake. So its obviously not a separate painting.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 10:51:42 AM »
"Mag-3 reporting in".

I do remember some discussion of what is now called Oddie Boy, the Maddie Boy with shading missing, back then. But is was generally  discounted as a printing anomaly rather than a variation. 

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 11:05:37 AM »

Yep.
Fanwank.

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 12:49:46 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I know exactly where it came from... Back around 15+/-  years ago Duane Dimmock took the existing Toadal Poster image into Photoshop and skewed the image back into a normal Wacky image (oblique, instead of the axonometric view).  Then the lettering, etc. was reworked as well to coincide with the new image.  Stickers were actually printed, and I believe they are die-cut as well to be similar to regular Wacky's.  Later on, Jay painted a Toadal Wacky just like this image and that one exists out there as well.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 03:00:02 PM by BRUTE_88 »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 06:16:55 PM »
I do remember some discussion of what is now called Oddie Boy, the Maddie Boy with shading missing, back then. But is was generally  discounted as a printing anomaly rather than a variation. 

I've seen a PSA graded sticker that has an "Oddie Boy" designation.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 08:29:58 AM »
I've seen a PSA graded sticker that has an "Oddie Boy" designation.
PSA doesn't have a clue.  As far as I can see, they will classify things per submitter's whims.  All that matter is the marketplace places a high value on this so who cares if it is a printing anomaly versus a real variation?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 02:57:46 PM »
PSA doesn't have a clue.  As far as I can see, they will classify things per submitter's whims.  All that matter is the marketplace places a high value on this so who cares if it is a printing anomaly versus a real variation?

It doesn't do much for me, and I'm not hunting one down.  I was surprised that PSA would recognize it.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 04:27:57 PM »
It doesn't do much for me, and I'm not hunting one down.  I was surprised that PSA would recognize it.

They recognized it because Mike Block asked them to.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 01:41:34 AM »
They recognized it because Mike Block asked them to.

Jim said he asked them.  Maybe both did?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 03:33:39 AM »
Jim said he asked them.  Maybe both did?

Maybe I'm misremembering then, someone told me they requested it, maybe it was Jim.

Offline Kook

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 09:35:13 PM »
Maybe I'm misremembering then, someone told me they requested it, maybe it was Jim.

I remember Mike mentioning it to me.