Author Topic: Halloween Pack O' Fun "Slithers" Auction  (Read 7001 times)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Halloween Pack O' Fun "Slithers" Auction
« on: October 27, 2016, 06:03:34 PM »

As mentioned in a previous post, I wanted to give a couple more forum members an opportunity to obtain one of the rare Halloween Pack 'O Fun "Slithers" cards (this is the one without the red snake on the wrapper). So....I've decided to do a forum-only auction for the two cards that I have left!

Please note, this isn't a typical auction, it's a CHARITY auction. There's just a few rules and they're pretty simple: Beginning now, until Sunday (10/30/16) at 7:00 pm (Eastern time), send me a PM with your highest bid. This represents the amount you would donate to a charity of your choice. Keep in mind, I don't get the money. The two highest bidders will donate it directly to their favorite organization. Also, since we are all very honest people, I'm going to use the honor system here. No need to verify who your charity is, or when you donate, although I'd prefer it was in the 2016 calendar year.

Remember, this is for fun and no amount is too big or small.  I'll announce the two winners Sunday night after the close and ship their cards once they send me their mailing addresses. Good luck to everyone and I hope you all have a very Happy Halloween!

Neil

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:45:23 PM by koduck »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: Halloween Pack O' Fun "Slithers" Auction
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 06:26:59 AM »
There's been some INSANELY generous bids so far! And some great causes, too!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 09:03:26 AM »
AWESOME Gesture on your part - LOVE the idea!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 04:58:11 PM »
OK, it looks like we've got a couple of winners! Both bidders get one of the rare "Slithers" cards (look for a PM shortly). In both cases, the bidders requested to remain anonymous, but I will say this: Both were amazingly generous!!! And the causes were both great ones!

On a related note, the turnout for this auction was very impressive. So much so, that I'll probably try to do this more often. Also, I will be making a donation to the Salvation Army with the proceeds from this year's Halloween Pack O' Fun. So, thank you to everyone for making this year release so successful! I hope you all have a very Happy Halloween!

- Neil

Offline mlmtf6

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 05:19:33 PM »
Happy Halloween to you Neil!!!!  >:D

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 05:47:59 AM »
OK, it looks like we've got a couple of winners! Both bidders get one of the rare "Slithers" cards (look for a PM shortly). In both cases, the bidders requested to remain anonymous, but I will say this: Both were amazingly generous!!! And the causes were both great ones!

On a related note, the turnout for this auction was very impressive. So much so, that I'll probably try to do this more often. Also, I will be making a donation to the Salvation Army with the proceeds from this year's Halloween Pack O' Fun. So, thank you to everyone for making this year release so successful! I hope you all have a very Happy Halloween!

- Neil

Hope its SCARY WACKY!!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 07:35:52 AM »

Hope its SCARY WACKY!!

Likewise Joe! I hope your Halloween is full of treats (and no tricks)! :d030:

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 03:57:21 PM »
You are so very generous with your time and talents - Thank YOU!

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 05:32:09 PM »
Have a sppooookkkyyyy night Neil!
Alex

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 06:40:40 AM »
We only got  three trick or treaters last night, so the "spook-o-meter"  was running a little low :( ! Maybe I should've given out some Halloween packs?

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 07:46:32 AM »
0 trick or treaters  :sad:  A first...

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 08:04:58 AM »
It seems really odd that the holiday seems more popular than ever, yet fewer and fewer trick or treaters show up each year. Maybe it's because they're more interested in going to big events on Halloween night, like haunted houses or fairs?

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 08:09:58 AM »
I think it has more to do with increasing societal "fearfulness".   'Stranger danger' being instilled by schools and parents - even for neighbors...

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 10:43:15 AM »
that, and maybe clowns... :icon_clown:

Online sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 11:09:49 AM »
It seems really odd that the holiday seems more popular than ever, yet fewer and fewer trick or treaters show up each year. Maybe it's because they're more interested in going to big events on Halloween night, like haunted houses or fairs?

One of the things that is increasingly popular in the Midwest is "Trunk or Treat" events, where a church, school or social club with have people decorate the open trunks of cars in themed scenes or displays. The people then dress up appropriately and hand out candy. That way parents can take their kids one or two places, that are known to be relatively safe, and do their trick or treating there. Its partly a reaction to general fear for safety on Halloween and partly a way to optimize candy intact while minimizing effort. This is especially popular for younger kinds. So the trend we are seeing is to move the treat givers from the home to these locations hosting trunk or treat events.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 07:23:45 PM »
You might not expect this given New York City's reputation, but door to door trick or treating is still really big in my neighborhood. And near my office it's so big they close off two whole blocks to all cars, everyone in the the brownstones that line the streets decorates elaborately, and kids come from all over to walk from apartment to apartment with their plastic pumpkins for candy. It's huge and organized entirely by private citizens -- they must spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars. At least 1000, maybe 2000+, people show up. All strangers bonded for a night of Halloween fun.  NYC ain't all bad!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 07:50:24 AM »
NYC ain't bad at all! They still know how to do Halloween right!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 06:30:30 AM »
NYC ain't bad at all! They still know how to do Halloween right!

It used to be every day was Halloween in Times Square!

Well, at least there's the Naked Cowboy.

Online sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 10:50:04 AM »
It used to be every day was Halloween in Times Square!

Well, at least there's the Naked Cowboy.

It still looks a lot like Halloween most of the time...

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 03:56:11 PM »
It still looks a lot like Halloween most of the time...
I haven't been in Times Square in a while, but my understanding is the characters are only allowed in a relatively small area now. Keeps them better under control...and allows actual visitors, etc. to more easily pass thru the area without being "hassled".