Author Topic: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Series  (Read 133095 times)

Offline DrDeal

Re: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Series
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2016, 12:41:35 PM »
I placed my pre-order with DA Cardworld for 3 Collector Boxes of this release. Price was $79.95 with free shipping for orders over $200. That was the best price I could find. I plan on buying at least 1 Gravity Feed at retail if I can find it in an excell shipping box at Target or it looks untouched on the shelf.  I will also buy 3 or 4 Blaster Boxes at retail. Hoping to pull some cool sketches, a Medallion card and a 1/1 Gold Base Card from these purchases. What are others planning to do?

Just pre-ordered three Blaster Boxes from Toywiz.   I figure I will come across these at Target; but maybe will get them sooner from Toywiz. Time will tell.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2016, 02:24:24 PM »
I placed my pre-order with DA Cardworld for 3 Collector Boxes of this release. Price was $79.95 with free shipping for orders over $200. That was the best price I could find. I plan on buying at least 1 Gravity Feed at retail if I can find it in an excell shipping box at Target or it looks untouched on the shelf.  I will also buy 3 or 4 Blaster Boxes at retail. Hoping to pull some cool sketches, a Medallion card and a 1/1 Gold Base Card from these purchases. What are others planning to do?

I think I may go all in on a collector's case. I know I won't be around for the 100th anniversary, so what the heck?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2016, 04:19:08 PM »
I got 3 collector cases

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2016, 04:21:04 PM »
Yes, it comes out later this coming year. Will be done the end of January. Lots of good products I've always wanted to use.

Can you please elaborate on what can be shared at this time regarding OS 6?   I realize much info is still on intel lockdown as per the usual; but please share what you can about the set, subsets, extras, where it will be sold and when it will be available. If it is another Topps Online Exclusive ; please lobby for a three box deal like we have had in the past.

Regards,  Andrew

Offline chipereno

« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2016, 07:24:16 PM »
Did someone comment on the die cutting of O5?
I did not get a box of that series.
Thought I read there was a lot of cut through stickers....
True?

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2016, 05:57:13 AM »
Jason, those sketches sound incredible!  As a fan, I can't thank you enough for putting the time and effort into these sketches.

Actually, thank you to ALL the great artists who are doing sketches for this special series, and all the ones in the past and future!  When I was out in Vegas and had the privilege to meet many of you, I can't begin to tell you how great everyone was and how much they love the hobby and the time they devote to sketches and sharing that with us fans and collectors!  I saw several of you sketch in person, you are all fantastic!

They may make it look easy, but it's not, and it is truly appreciated!  I've got several Collectors Boxes pre-ordered, not so much for the border variations but for the anticipation of opening up a one-of-a-kind sketch from a one-of-a-kind artist!  Kudos to you all and thanks!    :great: :great:

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2016, 03:37:12 PM »
I'll be picking up some of the Collector's Hobby boxes - but the flyer stating '1 hit per box' sounds incredibly pathetic. Am I misremembering, or didn't the last release have 3 to 4 hits per box?

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »
Did someone comment on the die cutting of O5?
I did not get a box of that series.
Thought I read there was a lot of cut through stickers....
True?
someone must have complained, because there will no longer be die-cut Wackys.

or maybe Topps is just pinching pennies.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2016, 07:03:44 PM »
I'll be picking up some of the Collector's Hobby boxes - but the flyer stating '1 hit per box' sounds incredibly pathetic. Am I misremembering, or didn't the last release have 3 to 4 hits per box?

I think the last few releases have been one hit per collector box. Two per box would be pretty sweet!

Andrew

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2016, 09:36:55 PM »
Can someone please elaborate what Hits per box is, sound like Mafia lingo  :]

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2016, 03:10:58 AM »
Can someone please elaborate what Hits per box is, sound like Mafia lingo  :]

A "Hit" is basically a highly limited card. Sketches are usually considered 'Hits".  But not all highly limited cards are called "Hits". Each Collector Box of Wacky 50th will contain at least One: Sketch, Artist Autograph or Medallion Card. Those are the Hits. Red Ludlows come one per Collector Box but are not considered Hits.  A gold Border 1/1 card, Red Border Card 1/10 or a Printing plate is considered a Hit but is not a sure thing. If you got one of those your box would have two Hits.

The term "Hit" was devised to convey what incentive a person has to spring for the higher priced Collector boxes. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:14:40 AM by DrDeal »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2016, 04:52:39 AM »
A "Hit" is basically a highly limited card. Sketches are usually considered 'Hits".  But not all highly limited cards are called "Hits". Each Collector Box of Wacky 50th will contain at least One: Sketch, Artist Autograph or Medallion Card. Those are the Hits. Red Ludlows come one per Collector Box but are not considered Hits.  A gold Border 1/1 card, Red Border Card 1/10 or a Printing plate is considered a Hit but is not a sure thing. If you got one of those your box would have two Hits.

The term "Hit" was devised to convey what incentive a person has to spring for the higher priced Collector boxes.

Well said.   :great:
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2016, 06:57:19 AM »

From the flyer, it's the Sketches, Autos, Medallions and Plates that are the hits for this set.

The red and gold borders aren't hits and can be found in the retail packs as well. I don't believe that border color, back image or material variation has ever been considered a hit, even when exclusive to the Collector boxes.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2016, 08:37:36 AM »
"hit and miss" describes my track record     :-[

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2016, 09:47:18 AM »
From the flyer, it's the Sketches, Autos, Medallions and Plates that are the hits for this set.

The red and gold borders aren't hits and can be found in the retail packs as well. I don't believe that border color, back image or material variation has ever been considered a hit, even when exclusive to the Collector boxes.

Below is the "Hit" breakdown per the flyer:  No mention of Plates as they would constitute a bonus rare card pull and are not part of the Three items which they promise to insert one of per Collector Box. If you get a Plate in your box ; you will still get one of the three items from the list as your "Hit". I do consider the Golds which will be 1/1 made as Bonus rare cards. I guess the Plates and Golds are not technically "Hits" ; but when you pull one ;they may have the same mental effect on you as a "Hit" would.  So the same Euphoric impact without the actual "Hit" designation. So you may do a "Happy Dance" without receiving a "Hit".
They are calling the Medallions and Auto's Premium Inserts; but the Medallions are not listed as "Hit"s. Not sure what to make of that.

Copied from the Flyer:

ONE HIT PER HOBBY COLLECTOR BOX!
• All-new artwork!
• Sketch Cards!
• Artist Autographs!

Copied from Beckett News:

Other premium inserts in 2017 Topps Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary include Artist Autographs and Medallion cards (Hobby Collector only).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:52:05 AM by DrDeal »

• Administrator
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2016, 10:14:12 AM »
Below is the "Hit" breakdown per the flyer:  No mention of Plates as they would constitute a bonus rare card pull and are not part of the Three items which they promise to insert one of per Collector Box. If you get a Plate in your box ; you will still get one of the three items from the list as your "Hit". I do consider the Golds which will be 1/1 made as Bonus rare cards. I guess the Plates and Golds are not technically "Hits" ; but when you pull one ;they may have the same mental effect on you as a "Hit" would.  So the same Euphoric impact without the actual "Hit" designation. So you may do a "Happy Dance" without receiving a "Hit".
They are calling the Medallions and Auto's Premium Inserts; but the Medallions are not listed as "Hit"s. Not sure what to make of that.

Copied from the Flyer:

ONE HIT PER HOBBY COLLECTOR BOX!
• All-new artwork!
• Sketch Cards!
• Artist Autographs!

Copied from Beckett News:

Other premium inserts in 2017 Topps Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary include Artist Autographs and Medallion cards (Hobby Collector only).
Not sure why you would consider "all-new artwork" as a hit. That's just a description of the basic set, i.e. This is not a reprint set.
Page 3 of the flyer lists the breakdown of the hits, as I described, with the printing plates included.
Golds are tough like the superfractors, and not a per box guarantee like they were in the last set or two.
Plates are a hit though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 10:19:22 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2016, 01:08:02 PM »
Not sure why you would consider "all-new artwork" as a hit. That's just a description of the basic set, i.e. This is not a reprint set.
Page 3 of the flyer lists the breakdown of the hits, as I described, with the printing plates included.
Golds are tough like the superfractors, and not a per box guarantee like they were in the last set or two.
Plates are a hit though.

Maybe we are looking at different flyers: The PDF on the Blowout site list Plates under a section called Sketches and Autographs on page 4. I don't see plates listed as a hit.

I just copied their listing for Hits. I agree that "All New Art" does not refer to a specific Hit card type. I don't know why they put that under: Hits.

Andrew

Offline dth1971

« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2016, 08:31:17 PM »
There actually is a Queen Bee Honey (the Beyoncé parody). But I think that's coincidence.  It doesn't seem to come in squeeze bottles.

Where is QUEEN BEE HONEY sold at? Dollar Tree? Dollar General? Family Dollar? Aldi?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2017, 10:19:06 AM »
Do we think ShoppTopps.com will launch a Wacky 50th Section on their site soon?I can see that happening. The question is what will be sold there? What would we like to see sold there? More 24 hour only cards? Postcards? Limited 50th sets? Time will tell.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2017, 10:24:09 AM »
Do we think ShoppTopps.com will launch a Wacky 50th Section on their site soon?I can see that happening. The question is what will be sold there? What would we like to see sold there? More 24 hour only cards? Postcards? Limited 50th sets? Time will tell.

My preference would be non-political Wackys of real products, with the traditional black border, available for at least a week.  And, most definitely, NOT $10 a sticker!!!!!

Offline Beanball

« Reply #125 on: January 01, 2017, 12:06:05 PM »
My preference would be non-political Wackys of real products, with the traditional black border, available for at least a week.  And, most definitely, NOT $10 a sticker!!!!!

I'm agree they cost to much. If I'm not mistaken they are cards. Still to much.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2017, 12:10:52 PM »
Where is QUEEN BEE HONEY sold at? Dollar Tree? Dollar General? Family Dollar? Aldi?
You can only get it from their website or in a few local stores in Massachusetts. Not available nationally (unless you count their website as national).

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2017, 09:36:51 AM »

Do we think Topps will execute some of the ideas they have done lately for GPK with Wacky 50th? If so ; maybe a GPK fan could comment on their thoughts about recent GPK on-line offerings. We they done in a way that made most GPK Collectors happy; or were they more of a Wallet vacuuming operation?

Online Joe G.

« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2017, 12:54:35 PM »
Hey, it just occurred to me that the Osaka Pop Star Soda sticker would be the first ever Wacky to parody pop culture like the new Anniversary set will!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2017, 03:54:47 AM »
So we are about 7 weeks away from the start of shipping for this release. I have 3 Collector Boxes and 3 Blaster Boxes Pre-Ordered.

I plan on staking out my Targets around release date and pulling a Gravity Feed out of the Excel Shipping boxes. I will only buy it if I can

be highly confident that it has not been "Fingered".  ;)  What are others planning? I know this has been bought up before; but thought

I would re-engage in the discussion as we get closer to ship date.  Also, It would be cool if some of the artists could post any sketches they have done for our

preview.  The few that have been shown look great. It looks like a lot of them will be in color.

Andrew

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2017, 08:34:33 AM »
More sketches for the 50th!

Online Joe G.

« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »
Chad, love 'me!  Based on your work and what Jason posted today,  I suspect this set may represent a high water mark for Wacky Packages sketches!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2017, 12:26:07 PM »
Preordered 2 boxes... Can't wait

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2017, 12:59:11 PM »
Plates are a hit though.

Might that mean 'Altered-Art' ?? that's why they are mentioning it? or inserting the Trumpocracy art in there? who knows...like in the Chrome set the Altered Art would be cool... :o :o :o

Online Joe G.

« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2017, 03:43:07 PM »
Joe, yes, altered art would be too cool!  I really liked ANS 11 'c' backs as well.  Wish we could've found the ones in WP 2014 but like the Wacky backs from that series, they never seemed to surface.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2017, 03:40:26 AM »
Are we still on track for a 3/29 release date? That is a Wed so I would expect the cards to ship on Mon 3/27 for arrival to collectors and stores on 3/29. Sound right?

The original Street date was 3/15. Can anyone confirm we are still on target for 3/29?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:50:16 AM by DrDeal »

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »
Where are people buying the hobby boxes from, and what is the going rate for a single hobby box?

Offline dth1971

« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2017, 07:34:28 AM »
Guess I will wait until March or April next time I set foot in a Target store to see if the Wacky Packages 50th. Anniversary packs are in.

Offline slidethefive

« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2017, 08:14:53 AM »
Where are people buying the hobby boxes from, and what is the going rate for a single hobby box?

I recommend Blowout Cards for buying boxes. Their current presale price per collector's box is $77.95 and hobby box is $42.95. Many times they will give you a better price if you contact them directly.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2017, 07:29:34 PM »
I recommend Blowout Cards for buying boxes.
I just bought 2 collector and 2 hobby boxes from Blowout. All I really care about is a base set, a few color variants as examples and a nice sketch or two.

anything