Author Topic: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Series  (Read 135618 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Series
« Reply #350 on: April 07, 2017, 07:21:35 AM »
Does anyone know which title(s) Brent Engstrom painted for the 50th set?

I believe Brent only did two which were the Hillary Ham and Trump Orange Juice gags.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #351 on: April 08, 2017, 12:52:31 PM »
Not one of the entries spoofs anything related to Disney or Star Wars, even after Disney did the C&D on Topps in 2014 to stop production on the planned Star Wars Wacky Packages series.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #352 on: April 10, 2017, 10:05:44 PM »
Skimpy is one I designed and it looks like there may have been a mistake in the final painting. The line was supposed to be "Extra Raunchy." Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how "Extra Crunchy" makes sense.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #353 on: April 11, 2017, 04:50:47 AM »
Besides this 50th Anniversary Series and the upcoming Old School, is there anything else Topps has planned for the 50th Anniversary celebration? Or maybe they are keeping it a secret for the moment? One can only hope or wish!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #354 on: April 11, 2017, 08:20:54 PM »
Thanks everyone, glad you like the OLDS cards. I think the 6th series is even better, I got to do a lot of products I've always wanted to include plus cigarettes and alcohol are back in it.

Great to hear this news, Dave!  And while I don't own the Old School subset in the 50th set, I look forward to picking it up.  Overall, I had set my sights fairly low for this 50th set and I don't think it even lived up to that.  But I do like the work you've done in this set, Dave, and look forward to OLDS6, which I think will really be what Wackys are about.  Any idea when they might be on sale?

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #355 on: April 11, 2017, 08:32:27 PM »
ATTENTION: The views and opinions expressed in this post are soley those of Soremel. These views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of the collective force of this forum. Soremel is old and cranky, therefore, his opinions should be totally ignored... or better yet, viewed as the delusional insights of a straightjacket clad madman... don't make eye contact... just slowly walk away... :P

I was hoping that this set would have put more emphasis on the original 16 series, or a nod to at least ONE title from each of the series.

Over the last few series, there seems to have been more of an emphasis on producing as many parallels, chase cards, limited variations, etc. than there was in art direction. While there are a number of well done pieces in this set, the number of poorly executed pieces is alarming. Years ago, I recall Fleer's "Crazy Labels" sets being dubbed the "red-headed step-children" of parody cards. Today, many of the titles from the Crazy Labels sets are superior to some of the recent Wacky Packages offerings. It appears that a "quantity over quality" mentality has stricken this brand.

When I saw the sneek peaks of David's Old School contributions to the Anniversary set, I considered only purchasing those cards as they seemed to hold true to the Wacky legacy. I was extremely disappointed to see that the end product had reduced the traditional black borders to anemic single stroke lines. Same thing goes with the lack of formed die-cutting (kiss-cutting) of the stickers. Topps totally abandoned two of the characteristics that helped make the brand what it is. Leaving these two features out of a 50th anniversary set is shameful. It's even more ludicrous when one considers the Topps vs. Top Shelf Enterprises lawsuit where a bone of contention was the use of "the black borders" on the "Silly Supermarket" sets.

I will not be collecting any part of this set. Being a completist, the amount of "extras" needed to put a whole master set together goes way beyond my budget. If the set had more quality and adherence to the true core of the Wacky Packages brand, I would have considered going all out, but I'm investing my time and funds in upgrading and completing my 1967-1977 collection.

I think a FAR better 50th Anniversary tribute would have been to continue the Chrome set and release the 4th thru 16th series. Heck, maybe even release the 3rd Abrams book... A little closure is good.

Just my two cents (mic drop) :-X

Thanks for this post.  You did a far better job of articulating how I feel about this set than I could have.  The only thing I did differently than you was pick up a handful of packs and buy a cheap "complete" (90 base cards) set on ebay.  I still want to support wackys and there are a decent handful in the set, but not enough.  The emphasis on parallels over quality is so hugely disappointing to me!  I do like Dave's Old School subset and will pick that up at some point.  And I did commission Floyd Sumner for an artist return sketch card of Pupsi that he hit out of the park, but I've mostly gone through the minimum of motions for this set.  Bring on Old School 6 (ASAP, please)!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #356 on: April 11, 2017, 08:55:28 PM »
I'll take old school without diecuts as well.  I just think, well, why should we have to?  What's the price differential per box of getting the die-cuts?  Is it dramatic? 

It would appear I'm in the minority on this.  Which is fine.   I'm likely in the minority on many of my preferences. 

I just think, if when Mattel started their Masters of the Universe Classics series, which was also a direct-to-collector proposition.  If, realizing most hardcore collectors never opened the packages of their action figures, if the bean counters then said "why do these have to be articulated - think of the savings by making them one chunk of plastic?"  Would it have mattered if they were made that way?  They're never moving if they never come out of the package, right?  Of course, at that point, they wouldn't be action figures anymore.  I maintain that the same is true here, with regard to the diecuts.

But I do get it.  I assume that most collectors are fine as long as things still go into 9-pocket pages.  I just find it strange (though understandable) that 9-pocket pages and other similar storage supplies possibly have more influence on current design choices than the original qualities of the thing in question.

I just think this is one of those changes that, like good lighting in a film or even a restaurant, it's a critically important aspect and it is something that most people, when asked, think doesn't matter.  But like all great design elements, it does, and people notice.   Like the thick border, etc. 

I mean, if the desire to make the art bigger was the justification for thinning out the black borders, why not just make the cards half an inch bigger?  The art would be bigger. 

Of course that is something people get... Because they won't fit in the 9-pocket page anymore. 

---

Somewhat related, I just ordered the new Star Wars Topps Classic Sticker book.. which reproduces a lot of the classic 70's and 80'sstickers from the Topps Star Wars trading card sets.  And within that book, they are die-cut.   So the stickers are die-cut, just like they are for the successful run of DK Ultimate Sticker books (with licenses like Disney, Star Wars, Lego, etc).  And this is a book that, like those DK books, is targeted at young readers.  The kids. 

So it seems to me that, losing the diecuts is a design decision that isn't targeting kids or nostalgic adults.  It's just a cost-cutting, feature-removing measure.   And I think they should have chosen to give us the option to pay a little more to get a complete product. 

On the plus side, Abrams are the publishers behind this Star Wars Topps Classic Sticker book, and they also did the digest sized Wacky Packages books.  Maybe they'll find it worthwhile to do a Wacky Packages Topps Sticker book at some point.  And keep the die-cut alive since Topps may not be interested in doing so themselves. 

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Topps-Classic-Sticker/dp/1419727117/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1491435965&sr=8-5&keywords=Star+Wars+sticker+book

(Image removed from quote.)

I like the diecuts, not just because I do stick a sticker on occasion, but because they are part of the "experience".  I'd also like to know what the price differential would be.  I don't know exactly what my breaking point would be before I'd say skip the diecut and save me money, but I'd at least entertain the idea of paying more to have the stickers diecut.

Thanks for the link, Jason, to the Star Wars sticker book.  Very cool.  I don't know that I'll get it, as I have most of the stuff I collected as a kid, but it's a neat book.  And I was surprised, but happily so, to see that Abrams/Topps is doing a book on the Planet of the Apes stickers. Not a ton of material to work with (I only consider the original movie and 1975 TV show as worthwhile), but I may pick that up when it comes out.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #357 on: April 12, 2017, 09:58:51 AM »
Great to hear this news, Dave!  And while I don't own the Old School subset in the 50th set, I look forward to picking it up.  Overall, I had set my sights fairly low for this 50th set and I don't think it even lived up to that.  But I do like the work you've done in this set, Dave, and look forward to OLDS6, which I think will really be what Wackys are about.  Any idea when they might be on sale?

I'm not sure but I believe it's towards the later part of the year. I'm not even sure in what form it will be sold (same as the other OLDS series, online or a new format all together)

Offline quas

« Reply #358 on: April 12, 2017, 10:58:20 AM »
I'm not sure but I believe it's towards the later part of the year. I'm not even sure in what form it will be sold (same as the other OLDS series, online or a new format all together)

My understanding is that it will be issued solely as compensation to United Airlines passengers for volunteering to give up their seats during overbooked situations.  Instead of a $1,000 voucher, it's 20 unopened boxes of OLDS6.
Marc

Online Joe G.

« Reply #359 on: April 12, 2017, 11:20:02 AM »
My understanding is that it will be issued solely as compensation to United Airlines passengers for volunteering to give up their seats during overbooked situations.  Instead of a $1,000 voucher, it's 20 unopened boxes of OLDS6.

Marc, too funny!  Could you imagine if the entire forum was on a plane and that was announced?  There would have been a fight all right but it wouldn't have involved airline security!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #360 on: April 13, 2017, 07:28:38 AM »
I agree with BigT - This was NOT an anniversary set, but a social media set with 1,000,000 variants...... as I said in my earlier post

30-33 cards
Puzzle
1 Chase set
1 set of Kool (medallions or stictch) and move on

Mic Drop

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #361 on: April 13, 2017, 10:23:51 AM »
Marc, too funny!  Could you imagine if the entire forum was on a plane and that was announced?  There would have been a fight all right but it wouldn't have involved airline security!

It was interesting the fellow, who supposedly was knocked unconscious before he was dragged out, was able to hold on to his phone.

Here's my screen shot of the video. I refuse to add the wacky tacky caption, "I need to get on the forum! I need to get on the forum!"   

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #362 on: April 13, 2017, 10:43:14 AM »
It was interesting the fellow, who supposedly was knocked unconscious before he was dragged out, was able to hold on to his phone.

Here's my screen shot of the video. I refuse to add the wacky tacky caption, "I need to get on the forum! I need to get on the forum!"   

Although totally appropriate if followed by... "It's one of Neil's midnight sales in 5 minutes!"
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #363 on: April 13, 2017, 11:10:59 AM »
Although totally appropriate if followed by... "It's one of Neil's midnight sales in 5 minutes!"

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #364 on: April 13, 2017, 11:28:57 AM »

I'm laughing so hard, my milk came out my nose...don't do that again!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #365 on: April 13, 2017, 11:59:57 AM »
I'm laughing so hard, my milk came out my nose...don't do that again!

What is it the kids say today?  Sorry, Not sorry.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #366 on: April 14, 2017, 07:30:06 AM »
What is it the kids say today?  Sorry, Not sorry.

Whippersnapper!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #367 on: April 14, 2017, 08:42:59 AM »
Whippersnapper!

Go play on your own stoop!!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #368 on: April 14, 2017, 09:39:49 AM »
Anyone notice the trading thread on this release is a tad light on participation?.......Seems to be a clue as to the level of interest in this one

Online Joe G.

« Reply #369 on: April 14, 2017, 11:50:34 AM »
Anyone notice the trading thread on this release is a tad light on participation?.......Seems to be a clue as to the level of interest in this one

Andrew, how was it for the last set?  If Topps moves towards more PoD releases it might mean the end of trading, sadly.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #370 on: April 14, 2017, 12:28:24 PM »
Andrew, how was it for the last set?  If Topps moves towards more PoD releases it might mean the end of trading, sadly.

Trading is usually brisk and active. This time around not many seem interested. My hopes of completing my bonus card sets without hitting ebay are waning.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #371 on: April 14, 2017, 01:52:05 PM »
Some of us are still busy with the tax season!!! Hope to update my trade thread in the next couple of days. I have lots of dups!!!
A

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #372 on: April 14, 2017, 03:33:39 PM »
Go play on your own stoop!!

Awww, shucks! I'm gonna take my ball and go home!

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #373 on: April 14, 2017, 07:27:34 PM »

I have to agree with you. I have one complete set as a token souvneir for the 50th Anniversary and closed, Possibly never to be looked at again. I will say the Sketch cards and medallions were the true celebration of our hobby.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #374 on: April 15, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »

Yeah. Pretty disappointing for me. I have never, ever bought anything more than already-assembled base sets of each series since ANS1. I guess I'm not a 'true' collector in that sense. But, this time around, I thought, "50th Anniversary. Should be great. Should be lots of sketches, extras, rarities, etc. I'm in!" So, for the first time ever, I bought Collector's and Hobby boxes, blaster boxes, and some fat packs hoping to be able to trade for some other items that I've always wanted. I thought I'd really be 'in the mix', so to speak..... Other than a couple of small trades with Sco(o)t and DrDeal, it's been radio silence. Heck, nobody even wants the base sets that I have for trade or $12 purchase. Kinda bummed, to be honest. Probably just go back to buying sets off ePay :sad:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:07:52 AM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #375 on: April 15, 2017, 01:03:37 PM »
 :-[ cheer up Brian, I will trade with you at the Philly show!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #376 on: April 15, 2017, 07:07:13 PM »
Finally had a chance to really open some packs today.

One of the highlights, certainly, is the Old School sticker subset! Lots of great art and ideas.

And something I'm surprised no one has mentioned about them yet - there's a wax stain that runs down the center of the card!
A little touch to imitate the wax wrapper stains seen on so many original cards back in the day.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:10:23 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #377 on: April 16, 2017, 05:48:20 AM »
Yeah. Pretty disappointing for me. I have never, ever bought anything more than already-assembled base sets of each series since ANS1. I guess I'm not a 'true' collector in that sense. But, this time around, I thought, "50th Anniversary. Should be great. Should be lots of sketches, extras, rarities, etc. I'm in!" So, for the first time ever, I bought Collector's and Hobby boxes, blaster boxes, and some fat packs hoping to be able to trade for some other items that I've always wanted. I thought I'd really be 'in the mix', so to speak..... Other than a couple of small trades with Sco(o)t and DrDeal, it's been radio silence. Heck, nobody even wants the base sets that I have for trade or $12 purchase. Kinda bummed, to be honest. Probably just go back to buying sets off ePay :sad:

Don't think of it like that. I have plenty of sets and stuff to sell as well, sometimes there's not many people who want to trade.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #378 on: April 16, 2017, 01:50:45 PM »
:-[ cheer up Brian, I will trade with you at the Philly show!
Sounds good Mark  :great:
Brian Mc

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #379 on: April 16, 2017, 02:12:22 PM »
Don't think of it like that. I have plenty of sets and stuff to sell as well, sometimes there's not many people who want to trade.

Yeah. It's not the people, I don't blame them. I think the 50th set has largely been a disappointment, so there isn't a whole lot of interest in collecting it. I gambled on this new set being really awesome, and using it to help me fill in holes in my fledgling collection, but it kinda backfired. Boo
Brian Mc

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #380 on: April 17, 2017, 09:16:48 AM »
Finally had a chance to really open some packs today.

One of the highlights, certainly, is the Old School sticker subset! Lots of great art and ideas.

And something I'm surprised no one has mentioned about them yet - there's a wax stain that runs down the center of the card!
A little touch to imitate the wax wrapper stains seen on so many original cards back in the day.

Put some roller marks on 'em and I'm in!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #381 on: April 18, 2017, 06:11:44 AM »
Put some roller marks on 'em and I'm in!

yea but somebody complained about that already - NEWBIEs -  :] :] :]

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #382 on: April 19, 2017, 10:56:30 AM »
yea but somebody complained about that already - NEWBIEs -  :] :] :]

Finally pulled as sketch on my 2nd Case - 3rd Box .... :-X :-X :-X - box sketch - will post pics..

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #383 on: April 19, 2017, 02:12:10 PM »
Finally pulled as sketch on my 2nd Case - 3rd Box .... :-X :-X :-X - box sketch - will post pics..
That took a minute or two  :-\
Brian Mc

Offline GadzookaBoy

• Just Another Funko Observer
« Reply #384 on: April 19, 2017, 02:54:48 PM »
So far three target boxes and one value pack and I haven't completed a set yet ..

I have a big stack of the blue parallels though ..

1 sketch card ..

How old is this gum ???
It's ALL about being WACKY !!!
WEB SITE http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/
TOY/PERSONAL BLOG http:/jafosnews.blogspot.com/

anything