Author Topic: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Series  (Read 133085 times)

Offline DrDeal

Re: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Series
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2016, 03:14:18 AM »
I am curious to hear what others think of them going with a much thinner black outline around these new wackies? To me there just arn't wackies if they lack the traditional thicker black border/ outline. I am hoping that most of the cards will have the regular border and only a few will have the thin border shown on some of the samples.

Andrew

Offline Swiski

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2016, 06:33:15 AM »
Looking on the bright side - Topps is releasing another Wacky Packages set. This might be the last hurrah for a while!

We still have these true-to-form parodies to enjoy:

- Old School 2017
- Halloween Pack O Fun
- Off The Mark comic strips
- Pranky Products new set (status ?)
- Galactic Groceries (status ?)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2016, 07:59:03 AM »
I am curious to hear what others think of them going with a much thinner black outline around these new wackies? To me there just arn't wackies if they lack the traditional thicker black border/ outline. I am hoping that most of the cards will have the regular border and only a few will have the thin border shown on some of the samples.
On the other hand, the thin border allows the art to be printed larger, making some of the tiny type easier to read.
There's been some thin borders before, on cards without a die cut. So maybe some of these won't be. cut either?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2016, 08:02:17 AM »
On the other hand, the thin border allows the art to be printed larger, making some of the tiny type easier to read.
There's been some thin borders before, on cards without a die cut. So maybe some of these won't be. cut either?

Yes, no die-cuts. The sticker will be the entire thing.

The subset stickers will have the thicker black border though so they will still resemble the more traditional WP style.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2016, 08:51:59 AM »
OK, I'm gonna give my take on this although I know it will be in the minority.  Remember like Trix, Wackys are for kids (8-10 years old).  In fact when I write gags, the family gets together and we brainstorm ideas.  From this I learn a ton about current culture and the things kids today are interested in.  If Wackys did the same thing year after year, I think it might get a little stale.  So after 50 years I've got no problem with Topps trying something new.

Perhaps Topps has the intent of children as the primary target for these cards but reality suggests adults are making the purchase. The hobby has become cut throat to the point where I doubt children are capable and interested enough to search packs, snipe auctions, etc..,

Maybe I am in the minority here but I do not care about celebs and any of the status quo interests of today such as the obsession of professional sports, the life of said celebs, athletes, etc.., I would prefer my hobbies not being infected with such poppycock.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2016, 09:59:53 AM »
                                                          Theses cards today cannot compete with video games,smart phones,ipads etc etc
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2016, 11:20:15 AM »
Kids are interested in cards but not these cards. One can look in the proper section of Target (as an example) and witness plenty of franchises clearly child inspired and child purchased.

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2016, 11:42:27 AM »
                                                                                                             We agree to disagree !
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2016, 11:51:33 AM »
                                                                                                             We agree to disagree !

You forgot to leave your CAPS ON!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2016, 12:37:08 PM »

Andrew

I don't really mind whether the border is thick or thin. I realize at first glance, my brain doesn't automatically register these samples shown as WPs... but I am an old dog that can learn a few new tricks. I'm in it for the artwork rather than the borders or border variations. That being said, I do think the best looking of the multitude of border variations we have had thrown our way is the all black one we had for one or two releases.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2016, 01:51:09 PM »
OK...... Here we go:

I agree with Rawgoo ...... The BASIC PREMISE was to spoof actual products available in retail stores.... PERIOD........

The 1st-16th series was a genius idea born upon those of us in our youth enjoyed laughing at the humor of MAD Magazine and Cracked Magazine ...... we got it!

Fun and immature laughter based on a cartoon rendition of a product (Spy Vs Spy or the Shadow Knows series in MAD Magazine)

The OVERABUNDANCE!!!!!! of 134,456,096 versions of a card (a.k.a. parallels) has diluted the brand in my opinion, much like the NFL with 4+ versions of football...... tooooo much!!!!!

We need to keep our Wacky Brand BACK TO BASICS!!!!!

30-33 Cards
1 (not 98378346576348965837587364) Puzzle / Checklist
and MAYBE a cool chase / bonus card

I love my Wacky's and the commercialization of an awesome brand is being diluted in the attempt to impress I do not know who???

RED / BLUE / LUDLOW THIS AND THAT!!!! / GREEN / SEPIA / LEATHER / WOOD ...... WTF not have every color in the Rainbow!!!!

a TRUE enthusiast appreciates the ART which is why Norm started this whole rat race so many years ago...... there are sooo many talented artists and when I think of Neil (THE MAN!!!!!!!) and up and comers like Chad and Joe G., I have HOPE for the future.......

We need to take a hard look in the Wacky Mirror - KISS (Keep it simple stupid)

BINDERS!!!!! For the Love of G-d!!!!!

Get back to what worked in 1st - 16th!

(Drop the mic now....)

PEACE!!!!!

Well said Richard. I AGREE whole-heartedly!!!

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2016, 02:56:39 PM »
KISS......is exactly right the 50th should be a tribute to the artists/gag writers from that era,to the original series,to the wacky ads and the posters. They could do subtle tweaks to the tribute wacky ads and posters,they could put limited edition,highly sought after mashup cards(maybe 100) adding 1 of the these cards to 100 sets.By mashup I mean taking 2 iconic characters from the OS like Run Tony and the Raid pest from series 8 and put them onto 1 card.
ANS series was a waste of energy and time,boy Topps sure did take our money for years from this era !

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2016, 03:12:47 PM »
KISS......is exactly right the 50th should be a tribute to the artists/gag writers from that era,to the original series,to the wacky ads and the posters. They could do subtle tweaks to the tribute wacky ads and posters,they could put limited edition,highly sought after mashup cards(maybe 100) adding 1 of the these cards to 100 sets.By mashup I mean taking 2 iconic characters from the OS like Run Tony and the Raid pest from series 8 and put them onto 1 card.
ANS series was a waste of energy and time,boy Topps sure did take our money for years from this era !

I don't think ANS was a waste of time and energy - aside from the fact that I had a lot of fun collecting many of the early series, some excellent Wackys came out of those sets!  I'm hoping that there will be a few good ones in the subset of the 50th anniversary set, and then I'll just wait for Old School.

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2016, 03:35:58 PM »
                                                           Don't hold your breathe !        And there were a few good ones from ANS,agreed

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2016, 06:21:28 AM »
Yes, no die-cuts. The sticker will be the entire thing.

Blasphemy!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2016, 06:34:05 AM »
Blasphemy!

I hope they will at least do the die cuts on the subset stickers.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2016, 07:42:48 AM »
Any Wackys are better than no Wackys! ANS has been terrific across the board - not 100%-every-title-a-winner, of course, but the high points are very high.

Also, you can just ignore all the border variations. It's pretty easy. There's still plenty of other interesting things to chase. I think the medallions and patches are wonderful.

We even got a new poster series!

Ok, yeah, the MLB series, I'll grant you was a waste of time and space. But otherwise it's all been good-to-great.

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2016, 09:40:02 AM »
                                                                                           We'll agree to disagree

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2016, 09:56:46 AM »
Any Wackys are better than no Wackys! ANS has been terrific across the board - not 100%-every-title-a-winner, of course, but the high points are very high.

Also, you can just ignore all the border variations. It's pretty easy. There's still plenty of other interesting things to chase. I think the medallions and patches are wonderful.

We even got a new poster series!

Ok, yeah, the MLB series, I'll grant you was a waste of time and space. But otherwise it's all been good-to-great.

What he said.  The dream is alive!

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2016, 10:06:58 AM »
I said what I said about ANS figuring it would provoke some replies,did ANS put some artists to work ? yes it did ! Any starving artists hanging out in this neck of the woods ? ....... doubtful

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »
I said what I said about ANS figuring it would provoke some replies . . .

Are you trying to get
                                     out of us?

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2016, 08:58:30 AM »
I think this idea would be an AWESOME SUBSET or a WHOLE SET of 30:

Lenticulars with the actual product / wacky!

Wonder Bread turns to Blunder Bread and back and forth!!!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2016, 01:39:13 PM »
Yep. Beyoncé, Trump, Hello Kitty. All fakes to get pop culture into the set. Like the mlb wackys did with baseball. Does nothing for me.
There actually is a Queen Bee Honey (the Beyoncé parody). But I think that's coincidence.  It doesn't seem to come in squeeze bottles.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2016, 02:11:12 PM »
I don't mind some political references in my wackys, that goes back to the 1970s:

and

And in the 1980s and 1990s:

and

But they were all *real* products. It bugs me to make products up. But if that's what Topps needs to do to keep wackys going, it's a trade off I can certainly live with.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2016, 07:12:25 PM »
I don't mind some political references in my wackys . . .

Same here. I think all of those"work" well as Wackys. Especially love Reaganets. It makes me laugh for some reason.

And from 2005

Offline mikecho

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2016, 06:07:43 PM »
Speaking of the OLDS subset,I hope that two of the 10 Wackys included in it are SpaghettoOs and Stingers. Those were left out of the previous five series,and I'd love to see them finally released.(By the way, can anyone tell me what the full name of Stingers is? I know that the real name is Dolly Madison Zingers,but what's the "Dolly Madison"part called in the Wacky?(I've seen a picture of the other one and I know it's called Urban-American SpaghettoOs)).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 06:11:15 PM by mikecho »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2016, 10:45:57 PM »
Speaking of the OLDS subset,I hope that two of the 10 Wackys included in it are SpaghettoOs and Stingers. Those were left out of the previous five series,and I'd love to see them finally released.(By the way, can anyone tell me what the full name of Stingers is? I know that the real name is Dolly Madison Zingers,but what's the "Dolly Madison"part called in the Wacky?(I've seen a picture of the other one and I know it's called Urban-American SpaghettoOs)).

Those are not in the set. I don;t even know what Stingers is. All ten are new (old) Old School gags

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2016, 07:58:49 PM »
What odd choices for a set that is to be called a 50th Anniversary Wacky Packages set.

No die cuts and no thick borders (excepting for specialty subsets, or so I am gathering), and entirely imagined products.

So, the trademark design element (the thick black border) is cast off, one of the trademark features of the stickers (the die-cut) is as well, and the fundamental nature of the item is changed up - that being that Wacky Packages have always been fundamentally, "product parody stickers".   

I see that one of the first call-outs on the sell sheet is "Celebrating the past while looking to the future!"... Okay, so the idea is transformative.  Reminds me of the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary special - where the show runner said it was more "about the next 50 years than the last 50 years", and I thought "Wow, this guy does NOT get it".   

I realize there have been so many reprints and there were the Flashbacks and so many kind of other throwback inserts in previous series, and of course the wonderful Old School series we got, so someone must have the sense that well has been gone back to, too many times.  I can respect that.  And yet, my gut on this is not great. 

To put this into Star Wars terms, this announcement feels a lot more like Episode One: The Phantom Menance, than it does Star Wars: The Force Awakens. 

And to spin that Star Wars reference a bit, it's especially shocking coming out of Topps, as with their Star Wars licensed cards, they appear to have really figured out that the classic design elements are a gold mine that they have successfully tapped into time and time again.  Those guys seem to get it.  They're really riffing on their past in a way that is ridiculously fun and compelling, IMO.

I hope I'm wrong.  I always try to be positive with regard to these things, but ah, this is really tough when I look at it. 

This does not resonate as special to me much at at all, nor does it feel especially connected to a heritage of Wacky Packages. 

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2016, 08:07:31 PM »
Thinking out loud for a few moments...

Where is the Norman Saunders memorial card.. Where are the Art Spiegelman and Jay Lynch Wacky Packages Hall of Fame trading card inserts?  Hell, maybe even Arthur Shorin? 

Where are the behind-the-scenes or similar rare Wacky related photos inserts? 

There are ways to create truly iconic and special elements of a set that could anchor back so strongly to the history of this wonderful pop-cultural entertainment, a product parody sticker series that inspired so many other things and so many artists and that transcended what it was to become more.  There could have been ways to touch upon that, to reflect it and acknowledge it. 

At least those are the kinds of things I would have sought to put together for this, if it was me.  But it wasn't!  :-)

This feels like a little too much "been there done that" with the parallels and shaped sketches, and what is new-and-different just isn't landing very well to me. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline drono

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2016, 08:33:28 PM »
Thinking out loud for a few moments...

Where is the Norman Saunders memorial card.. Where are the Art Spiegelman and Jay Lynch Wacky Packages Hall of Fame trading card inserts?  Hell, maybe even Arthur Shorin? 

Where are the behind-the-scenes or similar rare Wacky related photos inserts? 

There are ways to create truly iconic and special elements of a set that could anchor back so strongly to the history of this wonderful pop-cultural entertainment, a product parody sticker series that inspired so many other things and so many artists and that transcended what it was to become more.  There could have been ways to touch upon that, to reflect it and acknowledge it. 

At least those are the kinds of things I would have sought to put together for this, if it was me.  But it wasn't!  :-)

This feels like a little too much "been there done that" with the parallels and shaped sketches, and what is new-and-different just isn't landing very well to me.

I think they realized that a set centered on nostalgia would have limited the potential target audience.  Sort of like the reaction to "Forest Gump" outside the US.  Without living it, you wouldn't understand it or its historical significance.  However, a subset or two of these would have been really nice.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2016, 10:51:07 PM »
I think they realized that a set centered on nostalgia would have limited the potential target audience.  Sort of like the reaction to "Forest Gump" outside the US.  Without living it, you wouldn't understand it or its historical significance.  However, a subset or two of these would have been really nice.

I don't dispute that they had their reasons for their decisions.  And that they were informed based on what they believe to be true. 

My belief is just that they were wrong in those decisions, in spite of their careful considerations and experience.  It's open for debate for sure, but as I mentioned I look no further than Topps own huge success with their Star Wars license.  90% of current fans weren't around during original Blue Border Star Wars card set release of 1977-78 and the four series of various color borders that followed.  That design is archaic and simple by modern standards.  But, like that thick black Wacky Packages border, those old Star Wars burst and border designs are really strong, bold designs.  They just work.  They are not as slick as something modern but they remain powerful and effective.  But Topps is successfully using the hell out of the 1970's design look.  Both on physical cards and their digital card app.  They seem to really "get it" with that license. 

So I think turning their back on some of the fundamental elements of what made Wacky Packages what they were, what made them work - that is a mistake.   In my opinion. 

But this is, apparently, the 50th Anniversary product we are getting.  So it is what it is. 

I suspect they were more likely to have allowed Forrest Gump inform their sense of nostalgia, rather than something like Star Wars: The Force Awakens.  Because Star Wars The Force Awakens did nostalgia, and if you are like me, you believe they did it right.  It just felt like Star Wars (the original trilogy) and it was the most successful film in this country ever by many standards. 

This Wacky Packages series is not that, sadly.  It does not embrace it's own identity.  It does not feel vital like an original Wacky Packages series was.  They did not figure out how to recreate that or tap into that.  They may not have even tried, and I believe that is the mistake here. 

But hey, it might still be fun and perhaps even awesome. 

I'm just offering up my gut level reaction and thoughts after looking at the materials presented thus far. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 10:57:17 PM by JasonLiebig »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2016, 02:28:29 PM »
I think turning their back on some of the fundamental elements of what made Wacky Packages what they were, what made them work - that is a mistake.
This sums it up for me. But, as Jason also states, it might work and maybe even well. Let's see...

Offline drono

« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2016, 02:33:32 PM »
Jason, I agree with you completely.  They should put out a limited edition set like the Halloween post cards and limit it to 500 sets with all the nostalgia and pomp and circumstance and grandeur (in a 70s sort of way) of the original series.  I would love it and buy it, a binder (for VahSurfer), an uncut sheet, a box to keep unopened, etc.

I'm not looking forward to this set, but Topps is in the business of making money and not making friends of the collectors.  I don't think there's a collector of any of Topps' sets that is happy with the company's methods of marketing and selling products -- unless of course you have such deep pockets that you can buy whatever you want whenever you want. Maybe the Mars Attacks people with the kickstarter campaign, but that was so expensive to get the true premium stuff too.

I've said it before.  Topps greed has cost them the next generation of collectors.  They've been taking the kids out of the hobby for about 20-25 years now, and putting together a set like this is a last-ditched effort to recapture that market.  Unfortunately it's not the wacky packages we grew up with and love so dearly.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2016, 03:13:20 PM »
Dr. Ono,

Thanks for the shout out!  Ironically I was thinking about how they have screwed us out of binders for the last couple of years and how I will probably have to create ANOTHER custom one..... AGAIN!

May be Wacky Force Be With You!

Re-hashing the same card over and over again does not deserve my money - do something creative:

1. Lenticuler(??) with the Original Wacky and the actual product (33 Cards)
2. Artist signed cards (33 avail - limit to 25 signed per 33 cards)
3. Random inserts for a uncut sheet signed by all the artists
4. 3-D Cards (33 avail and only 1:1000 in Collector only with 25 of each)

That is IT!

Celebrate the past and KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!

P.S. . . . . Kool Mail In stuff from the real wax wrappers and ....... GUM BABY!!!

Offline quas

« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2016, 04:45:12 PM »
Dr. Ono,

Thanks for the shout out!  Ironically I was thinking about how they have screwed us out of binders for the last couple of years and how I will probably have to create ANOTHER custom one..... AGAIN!

May be Wacky Force Be With You!

Re-hashing the same card over and over again does not deserve my money - do something creative:

1. Lenticuler(??) with the Original Wacky and the actual product (33 Cards)
2. Artist signed cards (33 avail - limit to 25 signed per 33 cards)
3. Random inserts for a uncut sheet signed by all the artists
4. 3-D Cards (33 avail and only 1:1000 in Collector only with 25 of each)

That is IT!

Celebrate the past and KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!

P.S. . . . . Kool Mail In stuff from the real wax wrappers and ....... GUM BABY!!!

I love #1!  And I have a cynical one to add:

5. The Wacky Chrome refractor uncut sheet that was supposed to be obtainable with the redemption cards that Topps promised but never delivered.
Marc

anything