Author Topic: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Series  (Read 133112 times)

Offline MoldRush

Re: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Series
« Reply #315 on: April 04, 2017, 02:28:31 AM »
Very well said.  I was reading the other thread "Card or Sticker?" about the tweaking of the format and I have to say that after opening some packs and viewing these, "card or sticker" is miles away from being the first concern that comes to mind.  It just seems like these were made with a completely different audience, completely different set of criteria in mind.  They also look like they were made on a computer screen rather than hand-drawn.  Weirdly disproportionate product shapes on some of them, the list goes on and on.  Just a major departure from what Wackys are supposed to be.  The handful of titles referencing OS parodies of the same product with the image on the back is a nice touch, and the "best of 90's" / "best of 00's" in the jumbo packs is ok, but in no other way can this be considered a tribute set befitting such a major milestone in Topps/WP history.

Offline Dead

« Reply #316 on: April 04, 2017, 03:42:59 AM »
I feel your pain. I was left speechless as well at what was suppose to be a celebration is now a pile of cards I will probably never look again. Im also going back to some 15th and 16th series that Im missing.

Im not sure Topps doesnt care anymore- its cheap gags, amateurish computer art and uninteresting topics. If it sells, they will continue this direction sadly. :sad:

Sadly, I agree with these sentiments.  This set is a complete bastardization of the Wacky Packages concept.  I'm done.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #317 on: April 04, 2017, 05:12:26 AM »
I ordered a regular box and bonus box from Steel City Collectibles, they should arrive soon.

Even checked a Target store recently and no 50th. Anniversary packs are there in the store.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #318 on: April 04, 2017, 05:30:04 AM »
I ordered a regular box and bonus box from Steel City Collectibles, they should arrive soon.

Even checked a Target store recently and no 50th. Anniversary packs are there in the store.

I stopped in a Target yesterday, thinking maybe I'd pick up a couple of packs to see whether or not I want to buy a set, but no luck.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #319 on: April 04, 2017, 05:45:39 AM »
no, first case (8 boxes worth).

I wish..... !!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #320 on: April 04, 2017, 07:55:00 AM »
no, first case (8 boxes worth).

I wish..... !!

Have Sets on SALE for $13 shipped Forum Members

Offline GadzookaBoy

• Just Another Funko Observer
« Reply #321 on: April 04, 2017, 08:00:02 AM »
Have Sets on SALE for $13 shipped Forum Members

Have any sets of the old school chases ?
That's what I need.
plus the other chase sets too. lol
How old is this gum ???
It's ALL about being WACKY !!!
WEB SITE http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/
TOY/PERSONAL BLOG http:/jafosnews.blogspot.com/

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #322 on: April 04, 2017, 09:05:57 AM »
The decision makers at Topps who steer the WPs should be avid collectors / artists within the ranks, not some pencil head 4 years out of college with a business major in philosophy with a minor in art.

Bean Counters is what they are.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #323 on: April 04, 2017, 09:09:43 AM »
You found a yellow also?  That is great 2 have been found by collectors!
Make that 3. I pulled a yellow 1/1 Ajerx medallion.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #324 on: April 04, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »

Oh man, and I was working on an AJERX medallion run. Had the red, silver and blue. Great pull. Congrats.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline quas

« Reply #325 on: April 04, 2017, 09:30:04 AM »

Make that 4.  I am expecting the Forger's 1/1 yellow to arrive in the mail shortly.
Marc

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #326 on: April 04, 2017, 01:20:54 PM »
I confirmed today that Olds6 will have the thick, classic black borders.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #327 on: April 04, 2017, 01:22:37 PM »
With squared, and not rounded, edges?

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #328 on: April 04, 2017, 01:56:21 PM »

Awesome Dave!! THX Again - never though those bone heads at Topps would take away our thick borders...it Wacky DNA!!!

make sure we have plenty of Alchy and Cigs in those gags...(and I don't even smoke!!:)))
I know it will be awesome!!

BTW pulled one of your signed autos - very cool - like the way they did those...

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #329 on: April 04, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »
btw, my yellow medallion is of Dr. Pooper, the one and only lacksadasial physician of nothing!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #330 on: April 04, 2017, 03:11:30 PM »
With squared, and not rounded, edges?

That I do not know. I'll ask and request. I'm sure they will not be actually diecut though. Unfortunately there are a few concessions that had to be made to get another OLDS series out. I don't stick them so for me it's a none issue.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #331 on: April 04, 2017, 03:12:10 PM »

make sure we have plenty of Alchy and Cigs in those gags...(and I don't even smoke!!:)))
I know it will be awesome!!

Three of the gags are alcohol and cigarettes.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #332 on: April 04, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »
That I do not know. I'll ask and request. I'm sure they will not be actually diecut though. Unfortunately there are a few concessions that had to be made to get another OLDS series out. I don't stick them so for me it's a none issue.re

And then, there are always scissors for the die-cut die-hards.  ;)

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #333 on: April 04, 2017, 07:01:42 PM »
I stopped in a Target yesterday, thinking maybe I'd pick up a couple of packs to see whether or not I want to buy a set, but no luck.

The Target that I hit yesterday had many fat packs but all the cards were fanned....#$%@!! pack searchers....A

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #334 on: April 04, 2017, 07:09:06 PM »
My Target in Va Beach has the retail gravity - nothing with a clear front to search.... Wal*Mart have any??

I did pull a Red Ajerx Medallion

Richard

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #335 on: April 04, 2017, 07:21:57 PM »
Wow, you just answered a question that's been in the back of my mind the last few days.  Around the time speculation began about a 50th milestone set, you'd hinted that another Old School set had been green-lighted.  When I saw the 50th set has the 10-card subset I feared that might have been the extent of what you meant.  Great to hear another full set is in the works.  It feels like forever since we got a truly solid new release.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #336 on: April 04, 2017, 08:37:17 PM »
That I do not know. I'll ask and request. I'm sure they will not be actually diecut though. Unfortunately there are a few concessions that had to be made to get another OLDS series out. I don't stick them so for me it's a none issue.

Bummer.  I actually tend to stick a set or two of these on various things, over time.  And the die-cut is the "rock and roll" in the sticker.   Unfortunate that the creative directors in charge can't grasp that. 

If the concession is the thing that gets the series made, so be it.  It is what it is.   A concession is a concession, and it's too bad because anytime you remove a functional element of something, you've taken something away and made it "less than" it was.   There's no getting around it.    But as disappointing as it is, for me at least it isn't a deal breaker.   

I'd be curious to run the numbers on how much higher boxes would have to be priced at to get an Old School product produced WITHOUT concessions.   Is it $5 more a box to get the die-cut stickers?  $20?  $1?   In my experience, people tend to be okay paying a little more to get a complete experience.   We aren't talking about selling milk at the grocery store, after all.   We're talking about making fun of the brands selling the milk.  And the experience of that matters. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #337 on: April 05, 2017, 03:20:50 AM »
Bummer.  I actually tend to stick a set or two of these on various things, over time.  And the die-cut is the "rock and roll" in the sticker.   Unfortunate that the creative directors in charge can't grasp that. 

If the concession is the thing that gets the series made, so be it.  It is what it is.   A concession is a concession, and it's too bad because anytime you remove a functional element of something, you've taken something away and made it "less than" it was.   There's no getting around it.    But as disappointing as it is, for me at least it isn't a deal breaker.   

I'd be curious to run the numbers on how much higher boxes would have to be priced at to get an Old School product produced WITHOUT concessions.   Is it $5 more a box to get the die-cut stickers?  $20?  $1?   In my experience, people tend to be okay paying a little more to get a complete experience.   We aren't talking about selling milk at the grocery store, after all.   We're talking about making fun of the brands selling the milk.  And the experience of that matters.

I will take old school without diecuts as long as we  get puzzle backs. I miss that in the 50th Set.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #338 on: April 05, 2017, 04:12:50 AM »

I will take old school without diecuts as long as we  get puzzle backs. I miss that in the 50th Set.

But expect tan backs.  There usually is one puzzle, though.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #339 on: April 05, 2017, 06:39:31 AM »

Finally some hope! Best news I've heard so far.......... carry on

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #340 on: April 05, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »
Got my set today. Initial thoughts:

1) The medallions are still my favorite items. Of course they should be - I'm middle-aged, they're unique and they're (mostly) based on classic Wackys!
2) Dave's Old School work continues to shine. Between he, Neil and some others, there's still a spark left.
3) I don't care about the border or sticker/card controversy
4) There is some truly awful art on these - some is down to the artist (you know which one I mean), some down to the use of computers vs. hand-drawn.
5) I *really* don't care for politics in my Wackys, but my kids will enjoy all the tweaking of Trump. He's funny as a person but not as a politician.
6) I can go with some of the flow in terms of changing targets for parodying - the superhero stuff is fun, for example. I mean, we've had magazine, movie, apps subsets in the past.
7) I gotta think Topps is to blame for some of the horrible gags, though! There's no doubt we have talented, funny gag writers working on Wackys but they get neutered by lawyers.

Overall I think this is the second crappy series in a row, and for similar reasons: MLB was based on made-up products, as are many of these. But I'm not the target audience! My kids are, and my 14 year old has already moved on, the 12 year old will look at these and like some but it's the 10 year old who'll find it funny the most. I'm not conservative by nature - things change, for better or worse, that's life, no sense in fighting it. But get off my lawn!  :P

It's great we'll get an Old School set, and I truly wish we still officially had Neil's fabulous postcard work (but I'll settle for unofficially). So this leaves me feeling like from here on out, I'm no longer going to be a completist. I'm going to be patient (a trait I don't embrace often enough) and I'll pick up things I actually like as opposed to everything released.

Hey, it's been a great 50 years (though I started in 1973). Other areas I like continue to change and I've become more and more selective, enabling me to enjoy the good stuff without getting bogged down by the mediocre or bad (i.e. comics, music, film). Better to focus on the positive than harp on the negative!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #341 on: April 05, 2017, 12:16:57 PM »
Mitch, well said.  I especially like "get off my lawn" as it sums up the situation nicely.  Hey, at this point we're the Rabbits and Trix are for kids.  Glad to hear the 10 year enjoyed them most as that's really what it's about (I think).

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #342 on: April 05, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »

I'll take old school without diecuts as well.  I just think, well, why should we have to?  What's the price differential per box of getting the die-cuts?  Is it dramatic? 

It would appear I'm in the minority on this.  Which is fine.   I'm likely in the minority on many of my preferences. 

I just think, if when Mattel started their Masters of the Universe Classics series, which was also a direct-to-collector proposition.  If, realizing most hardcore collectors never opened the packages of their action figures, if the bean counters then said "why do these have to be articulated - think of the savings by making them one chunk of plastic?"  Would it have mattered if they were made that way?  They're never moving if they never come out of the package, right?  Of course, at that point, they wouldn't be action figures anymore.  I maintain that the same is true here, with regard to the diecuts.

But I do get it.  I assume that most collectors are fine as long as things still go into 9-pocket pages.  I just find it strange (though understandable) that 9-pocket pages and other similar storage supplies possibly have more influence on current design choices than the original qualities of the thing in question.

I just think this is one of those changes that, like good lighting in a film or even a restaurant, it's a critically important aspect and it is something that most people, when asked, think doesn't matter.  But like all great design elements, it does, and people notice.   Like the thick border, etc. 

I mean, if the desire to make the art bigger was the justification for thinning out the black borders, why not just make the cards half an inch bigger?  The art would be bigger. 

Of course that is something people get... Because they won't fit in the 9-pocket page anymore. 

---

Somewhat related, I just ordered the new Star Wars Topps Classic Sticker book.. which reproduces a lot of the classic 70's and 80'sstickers from the Topps Star Wars trading card sets.  And within that book, they are die-cut.   So the stickers are die-cut, just like they are for the successful run of DK Ultimate Sticker books (with licenses like Disney, Star Wars, Lego, etc).  And this is a book that, like those DK books, is targeted at young readers.  The kids. 

So it seems to me that, losing the diecuts is a design decision that isn't targeting kids or nostalgic adults.  It's just a cost-cutting, feature-removing measure.   And I think they should have chosen to give us the option to pay a little more to get a complete product. 

On the plus side, Abrams are the publishers behind this Star Wars Topps Classic Sticker book, and they also did the digest sized Wacky Packages books.  Maybe they'll find it worthwhile to do a Wacky Packages Topps Sticker book at some point.  And keep the die-cut alive since Topps may not be interested in doing so themselves. 

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Topps-Classic-Sticker/dp/1419727117/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1491435965&sr=8-5&keywords=Star+Wars+sticker+book

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:57:21 PM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #343 on: April 05, 2017, 04:56:03 PM »
Glad to hear the 10 year old enjoyed them most as that's really what it's about (I think).
I am NOT going to ramble about this. I'm just going to say that I could not disagree more. This set was not for 10 year olds. Or, at least, it should not have been. It's a 50th anniversary set, for goodness sake. 'nuff said.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #344 on: April 05, 2017, 04:58:10 PM »
I am NOT going to ramble about this. I'm just going to say that I could not disagree more. This set was not for 10 year olds. Or, at least, it should not have been. It's a 50th anniversary set, for goodness sake. 'nuff said.

It's okay, I rambled enough for two (or three, or four).   

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #345 on: April 05, 2017, 05:30:45 PM »
I think the really objectionable aspect here is that Topps gypped us older Wacky collectors by doing essentially an ANS reboot targeting a young audience, under the RUSE of an anniversary set.  They were not interested in producing anything close to a legit tribute set, heritage set, legacy set, whatever the term is that describes what most of us were likely anticipating.  I would have been far happier with a Flashback 3 set, same as 1 and 2 with all the psychedelic colors, slap a 50th Anniversary logo on the wrapper, choose some OS classics that have never been reprinted, keep the medallions, sketches, etc., done. 

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #346 on: April 05, 2017, 05:32:52 PM »
Granted, perhaps some of these WP might be targeted at 8 - 10 year old children.

But tell me, please, what 8 year old child is going to get the humor in:

"Latex Coating Protects Your Private Junk"

"They blow!  And They Suck!"

"Grow Hair In Unexpected Places!"

Really?  Eight year old children are in 2nd grade.

Once a day, I travel to another school building to teach a handful of 2nd grade children.  As rewards and incentives, I give them Beanie Baby trading cards.  (They like them.  They collect them.  They give them to their friends and brothers and sisters and moms and dads.  They like seeing pictures of plush, pink flamingos and silly monkeys and Christmas bears.)  If I were to hand out the three WP cards above, however, I'd undoubtedly be summoned to the principal's office the first thing the following morning to not only be greeted by him, but also my union rep, the superintendent, possibly irate parents, and perhaps even state troopers as well (being they are stationed right down the road at the high school.)

Eight year old children?  Sorry, not buying it.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #347 on: April 05, 2017, 05:36:58 PM »
I might as well throw a few coins in the pot. I have not been happy AT ALL with the way Wackys are being produced these days. Non-products, politics and poor art!  Me thinks that OLDS 6 should have been the 50th anny set. Some new stuff and some NEW ART of the OLD WACKYS by Dave. I will not spend 1 cent on this CRAP! 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make OLDS 6 like the old stuff!!!

(jiggles coin return lever)

Jim

Offline GadzookaBoy

• Just Another Funko Observer
« Reply #348 on: April 05, 2017, 08:18:43 PM »
I'll jump in just to say .. I know I'm a rabbit and Wacky's are for kids ..  ;D

I think the artwork is good for the most part on this series, with a few outstanding pieces. I'm only going off the base set I just got though. I can tell the Old School chase set will be outstanding also. The gags  .. well .. not so much for me. I was expecting this series to be a little different because of the anniversary, but I have been out of the WP loop for a few years. I'm just getting caught back up since ANS 10 (my last completed series), and all I bought since then was a handful of Chrome packs when they came out. I binge bought recently to fill my base sets in my collection the last couple weeks. It just seems the PTB (Powers That Be) at Topps are looking to go back to attracting the base market for the product. I understand that, but not with an anniversary series though. This is a milestone not reached often, and the product put out for the most part doesn't fit with the milestone.

I am an original early 70's collector so I went a lot of years without Wacky's, so sometimes I'm just happy they are still going.
How old is this gum ???
It's ALL about being WACKY !!!
WEB SITE http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/
TOY/PERSONAL BLOG http:/jafosnews.blogspot.com/

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #349 on: April 07, 2017, 07:10:11 AM »
Does anyone know which title(s) Brent Engstrom painted for the 50th set?

anything