Author Topic: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Series  (Read 133093 times)

Offline Brian Mc

Re: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Series
« Reply #280 on: April 01, 2017, 10:17:19 AM »
Well, I opened 2 collector boxes, 2 hobby boxes, and 6 blaster boxes. My short, initial take on this set: The Old School cards are far and away the best thing in this set. I only got 7 out of 10, though. Boo.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 05:26:02 PM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

« Reply #281 on: April 01, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »
Well, I opened 2 collector boxes, 2 hobby boxes, and 5 blaster boxes. My short, initial take on this set: The Old School cards are far and away the best thing in this set. I only got 7 out of 10, though. Boo.
I had to open all 4 of my collector's boxes to get all 10 of the Old School Set.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #282 on: April 01, 2017, 11:27:45 AM »
John, well the intended market is 8-10 year olds.  I think that been true for retail Wackys since the start.

Unscientifically of course, Joe, I find what may appeal to kids far far far outweighed by the opposite. Yes some of the bugglegum artists might be recognized by children and a few other things but Pac Man, Brexit, etc.., not so much. Furthermore, I don't think kids these days care about Wacky Packages let alone a monumental anniversary. I often wonder if the intended target is still kids, does Topps honestly think such an age group is interested in autographs, sketches and other chase cards let alone the cost of a collectors box? To me it seems as if Topps wants to spread the series too thin rather than appealing to one set group. Kids only seem interested in cards dealing with Pokemon or MMORPG cards with in game redeemable gear.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #283 on: April 01, 2017, 12:24:01 PM »
I splurged and pre-ordered a collector's case since I knew I wouldn't be around for the 100th anniversary. They arrived today and I have been opening and collating this evening. My "big hits" were...

7 medallion cards = 4 blue backgrounds (1 of 99), 3 grey background (1 of 50)
   1 can shaped setch
   1 redemption card for a dual artist panorama card
   1 silver border
   1 artist autograph
I hope to have a want/trade list  posted tomorrow.

[/quot

I've opened 4 collector boxes so far and sketches seem to be the hardest items to poll - congrats on your panoramic!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #284 on: April 01, 2017, 12:53:46 PM »
Unscientifically of course, Joe, I find what may appeal to kids far far far outweighed by the opposite. Yes some of the bugglegum artists might be recognized by children and a few other things but Pac Man, Brexit, etc.., not so much. Furthermore, I don't think kids these days care about Wacky Packages let alone a monumental anniversary. I often wonder if the intended target is still kids, does Topps honestly think such an age group is interested in autographs, sketches and other chase cards let alone the cost of a collectors box? To me it seems as if Topps wants to spread the series too thin rather than appealing to one set group. Kids only seem interested in cards dealing with Pokemon or MMORPG cards with in game redeemable gear.

I also collect Hot Wheels. That collecting community deals with the same corporate strategy that we do.  Retail wackies are aimed at 8 year olds just like retail Hot Wheels are. Hot Wheels collectors want Muscle/ Classic cars and at retail they find vehicles shaped like dinosaurs with glow in the dark wheels. Mattel still offers collectors cars they want at premium prices via their web site. Topps will continue to offer Collector boxes with chase items designed to make collectors happy and occasionally sets like Old School via their site. We just need to understand that collectors probably account for 40 percent of brand sales and kids for 60 percent.
I agree that kids will not appreciate Political Wackies in the the 50th set ; but Topps probably reasoned that their adult collectors would love that subset. So of the 10 subsets in the retail boxes 2 may be intended for collectors: Political and 50th Anniversary. The other 8 are great for the 8 year olds: Cereal, Movies, TV, Pop Culture, Apps, Video Games, Music and Celebrities.  Throw in Old School in the Collector Boxes and you have all your bases covered if you are Topps.  So when I judge this set I look at the cards in the Political, Anniversary and Old School sets as meant for me. That's 28 cards which is what we used to get in a Wacky Release back in the day. Of those 28 I like about half of them so that's good enough for me.  Thanks Topps. 

Andrew
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 12:56:01 PM by DrDeal »

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #285 on: April 01, 2017, 01:29:05 PM »
2 Collectors boxes, 2 Hobby boxes, and 5 Blasters. Here's my pulls:

- Tomb Radiance autographed - #14/25
- CheeZillas autographed - #13/25
- Dual Artist pano sketch
- Gadzooka silver border - #30/50
- Dr Pooper medallion - #32/99
- Comit medallion - #1/50

Plus: 10 black Ludlows and 5 red Ludlows

Brian Mc

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #286 on: April 01, 2017, 01:55:19 PM »
2 Collectors boxes, 2 Hobby boxes, and 5 Blasters. Here's my pulls:

- Tomb Radiance autographed - #14/25
- CheeZillas autographed - #13/25
- Dual Artist pano sketch
- Gadzooka silver border - #30/50
- Dr Pooper medallion - #32/99
- Comit medallion - #1/50

Plus: 10 black Ludlows and 5 red Ludlows

Nice Pulls AND a Pano Sketch. I opened 3 Collector Boxes and no sketches.  Also, How do we feel about no 9 card puzzles in this set? I miss them.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #287 on: April 01, 2017, 02:24:56 PM »
I pulled a Comit medallion with a yellow background (presumably supposed to evoke "gold") -- it's labeled 1/1 on the back, so seems there are four background variations on these. Also pulled a silver background Pupsi medallion, but it has a wrinkle on the front. Manufacturing error, quite annoying!

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #288 on: April 01, 2017, 02:27:34 PM »
I pulled a Comit medallion with a yellow background (presumably supposed to evoke "gold") -- it's labeled 1/1 on the back

1 of 1? WOW! Great find  :great:
Brian Mc

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #289 on: April 01, 2017, 02:35:41 PM »
The original WP didn't have to have such a thick border, yet they did anyway.  Was this to allow more room for error in the die-cut process of fifty years ago?
That was always my belief, but others have indicated that it was to help make the art "pop" on the card/sticker. I suppose both could apply.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #290 on: April 01, 2017, 02:45:35 PM »
I splurged and pre-ordered a collector's case since I knew I wouldn't be around for the 100th anniversary. They arrived today and I have been opening and collating this evening. My "big hits" were...

7 medallion cards = 4 blue backgrounds (1 of 99), 3 grey background (1 of 50)
   1 can shaped setch
   1 redemption card for a dual artist panorama card
   1 silver border
   1 artist autograph

I hope to have a want/trade list  posted tomorrow.

Talk about old eyes...  when I was further collating I found another autograph card (David Gross) that I had plunked in the Sepia Pile. Although, it is kinda mostly sepia colored... kinda.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 02:47:12 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #291 on: April 01, 2017, 02:48:47 PM »
I pulled a Comit medallion with a yellow background (presumably supposed to evoke "gold") -- it's labeled 1/1 on the back, so seems there are four background variations on these. Also pulled a silver background Pupsi medallion, but it has a wrinkle on the front. Manufacturing error, quite annoying!

Congrats on the Commit. Can you post a pic of front and back please?  Thanks

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #292 on: April 01, 2017, 04:09:37 PM »
Congrats on the Commit. Can you post a pic of front and back please?  Thanks
Happy to post some pics:

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #293 on: April 01, 2017, 04:12:02 PM »
Talk about old eyes...  when I was further collating I found another autograph card (David Gross) that I had plunked in the Sepia Pile. Although, it is kinda mostly sepia colored... kinda.

I did exactly the same thing with my Smokin' Joe signature card! It was only going through everything again that I realized what it was.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #294 on: April 01, 2017, 04:25:04 PM »
And here is the sketch I pulled. Love Kirscht's work!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #295 on: April 01, 2017, 04:32:36 PM »
Happy to post some pics:

Thanks,    Congrats !

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #296 on: April 01, 2017, 04:55:57 PM »
That was always my belief, but others have indicated that it was to help make the art "pop" on the card/sticker. I suppose both could apply.

Both are correct: The thick black border was intended to add punch to the artwork, and it also served to aid the diecutting process.

Offline quas

« Reply #297 on: April 01, 2017, 05:00:05 PM »
I did exactly the same thing with my Smokin' Joe signature card! It was only going through everything again that I realized what it was.

One thing is for certain (or at least almost for certain).....no one will ever own a complete set of these yellow medallions!
Marc

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #298 on: April 01, 2017, 05:25:39 PM »
One thing is for certain (or at least almost for certain).....no one will ever own a complete set of these yellow medallions!
That would be quite a feat, if anyone even tried!

Offline quas

« Reply #299 on: April 01, 2017, 05:28:46 PM »
That would be quite a feat, if anyone even tried!

Certainly an incredibly expensive feat!
Marc

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #300 on: April 01, 2017, 07:39:10 PM »
    I also collect Hot Wheels. That collecting community deals with the same corporate strategy that we do.  Retail wackies are aimed at 8 year olds just like retail Hot Wheels are. Hot Wheels collectors want Muscle/ Classic cars and at retail they find vehicles shaped like dinosaurs with glow in the dark wheels. Mattel still offers collectors cars they want at premium prices via their web site. Topps will continue to offer Collector boxes with chase items designed to make collectors happy and occasionally sets like Old School via their site. We just need to understand that collectors probably account for 40 percent of brand sales and kids for 60 percent.
I agree that kids will not appreciate Political Wackies in the the 50th set ; but Topps probably reasoned that their adult collectors would love that subset. So of the 10 subsets in the retail boxes 2 may be intended for collectors: Political and 50th Anniversary. The other 8 are great for the 8 year olds: Cereal, Movies, TV, Pop Culture, Apps, Video Games, Music and Celebrities.  Throw in Old School in the Collector Boxes and you have all your bases covered if you are Topps.  So when I judge this set I look at the cards in the Political, Anniversary and Old School sets as meant for me. That's 28 cards which is what we used to get in a Wacky Release back in the day. Of those 28 I like about half of them so that's good enough for me.  Thanks Topps. 

Andrew

Andrew,

I respect what you have to say, and I know from reading your many of your previous posts that you hold Wackys in high esteem. 

I suppose that I should be grateful for even one new Wacky, and that I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.  However I cannot help but to think that Topps could have done much better with the 50th Anniversary set.  It is, after all, an anniversary, and I believe Topps should have pushed the envelope in light of this fact.

I think everyone reading this post would have to agree that some of the artwork is "lacking in quality."  This didn't have to be, however.  And for the life of me, I can't see how Topps justified this, anniversary or no anniversary.

As far as the political/current events go, haven't we (the adults who've been paying high prices) already had our fill?  Moreover, I doubt that many will understand and/or appreciate the humor in these pieces five years from now, let alone fifty.  Many of the satires are based upon impetuous comments that are shocking when first uttered, but hardly ground-shaking or even worth committing to memory.

You may prefer muscle cars to dinosaur cars and understandably so (and, personally, so would I.)  But at least dinosaurs are universal.  I understand them.  Great-grandparents understand them.  Kids understand them.  I don't, however, understand some of the humor in subsets such as Pop Culture, Apps, and Music and Celebrities, though.  I suppose, ultimately, I can blame this entirely upon my own ignorance.  At the same time, though, they don't exactly pack much of a punch, either.  As with most current events, they are largely here today, gone tomorrow, consigned to and left forgotten in the dustbins of history.  There is nothing really iconic about them, and up until recently, that is what Wackys have been about.  "I think, by and large, when a Wacky Package parody was successful in the past, it was based upon a well-known (if not iconic) bit of consumer goods packaging, something most everyone could picture and knew."  This quote is from a fellow forum member, and I would have to say that I agree with him.  In my opinion, the current event genres just don't cut the mustard (though they may cut the cheese.)  For the most part, they can't - simply because current event items need time to become well-known and iconic - if they ever become well-known and iconic.  However, then they are no longer current events. 

You mentioned the statistics of 40% collectors and 60% kids, yet of the 10 subsets in the retail boxes, 2 (or 20%) may be intended for collectors and the remaining 8 (80%) for kids - and this does indeed appear to be the case.  The first pair of percents, however, doesn't match the second pair.  So I can see why some collectors - myself included - might feel short-changed and somewhat disappointed with what we view as a lackluster set.  Again, remember that this wasn't just supposed to be just another retail release, but an anniversary release - something special.  But what was really special about it?  What set it apart?  I'm having a difficult time answering this.  (And I also have this nagging suspicion that, somewhere in all of this - as with the online sets, Topps is testing the market.  I just wish they hadn't here.)

Like I said, I suppose I should be grateful for what I received - and with certain titles I truly am.  I just wish it was a bit more bountiful.

Rob

(Sorry for the "wordy" post!)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:52:13 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #301 on: April 01, 2017, 10:51:57 PM »
These are awesome! Could you please post reference images of the actual products you used...something for the comparison art-chive? Thanks!

I think I've got at least one of these.  This is a matching 1970's vintage Sweet 'n Low box from my collection:

Sweet 'n Low - sugar substitute 100 packets - box - 1970's
by Jason Liebig, on Flickr

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 10:54:26 PM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #302 on: April 02, 2017, 02:45:09 AM »
Andrew,

I think everyone reading this post would have to agree that some of the artwork is "lacking in quality."  This didn't have to be, however.  And for the life of me, I can't see how Topps justified this, anniversary or no anniversary. 

Reply:
The quality aspect is certainly a factor; but it may be addressed by the fact that they used a number of new artists and some of those artists possess a style that does not appeal to most people.

As far as the political/current events go, haven't we (the adults who've been paying high prices) already had our fill?  Moreover, I doubt that many will understand and/or appreciate the humor in these pieces five years from now, let alone fifty.  Many of the satires are based upon impetuous comments that are shocking when first uttered, but hardly ground-shaking or even worth committing to memory.

Reply:
The political cards in the set were done a while back as these sets have much different timelines than the on-demand cards. IE; Topps did not know at the time the 50th political cards were drawn; how many would be out by now.
You make many valid points about percentages and the 50th deserving more; but its 2017 and ANY wackies are good vs. no wackies is my position. Hope for the best, appreciate what you get, offer feedback for the future (which you excel at) and hope for the best in the future. That's all we can do.  At least we have the Philly show and dinner to celebrate the 50th with the artists and fans. See you there.

Andrew

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #303 on: April 02, 2017, 06:27:39 AM »
... made the wrapper YELLOW!! ...
there, fixed that for ya

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 12:22:30 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #304 on: April 02, 2017, 07:31:10 AM »
PM Sent

PM Sent???? You're gonna leave us all in suspense with that!

Offline jg2000

« Reply #305 on: April 02, 2017, 07:47:09 AM »

Haha thanks, I got 'wrapped' up in my thoughts

there, fixed that for ya

(Image removed from quote.)

• Administrator
« Reply #306 on: April 02, 2017, 08:12:34 AM »
Haha thanks, I got 'wrapped' up in my thoughts
haha. Well, maybe we can have a 'real' WP 50th anniversary in 2023, to celebrate the 1st series sticker set, and have RED wrappers for that.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #307 on: April 02, 2017, 08:12:55 AM »
Uh oh. Michael giving Fredo the kiss of death in Havana comes to mind.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #308 on: April 02, 2017, 10:49:52 AM »
PM Sent???? You're gonna leave us all in suspense with that!

For now, but maybe one day I'll include it in my "tell all" book, "The Wacky Forum Inner Sanctum"

Offline wil_king

« Reply #309 on: April 03, 2017, 10:04:56 AM »
So I just finished putting my 'Wacky Packages 50th' set in sleeves, and looking over the set. I then looked over the MLB-themed set from last year, and then the past few GPK sets since 30th....
And I realized that my joy and love for the new sets is totally and fully dead at this point. It's not JUST that they've eliminated the die-cuts from both franchises. It's not JUST that they've broken the sets into odd and incoherent sub-sets, ruining the numbering scheme and the extra material on the card backs. It's not JUST the obsession with pop-culture and politics. It's not JUST that Topps doesn't seem to understand the history or appeal of either franchise anymore. And it's not JUST the over reliance on as untalented a hack as Junwei Im. But it's the cumulative effect, taken all together, that leaves me with zero confidence or even interest in what Topps may do with either brand in the future.
In short, I'm done. There's still some 70s stuff I'd like, and some of the bonus cards and insert stuff I haven't started gathering yet. But as far as new product is concerned, I'm done.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #310 on: April 03, 2017, 07:12:54 PM »
So I just finished putting my 'Wacky Packages 50th' set in sleeves, and looking over the set. I then looked over the MLB-themed set from last year, and then the past few GPK sets since 30th....
And I realized that my joy and love for the new sets is totally and fully dead at this point. It's not JUST that they've eliminated the die-cuts from both franchises. It's not JUST that they've broken the sets into odd and incoherent sub-sets, ruining the numbering scheme and the extra material on the card backs. It's not JUST the obsession with pop-culture and politics. It's not JUST that Topps doesn't seem to understand the history or appeal of either franchise anymore. And it's not JUST the over reliance on as untalented a hack as Junwei Im. But it's the cumulative effect, taken all together, that leaves me with zero confidence or even interest in what Topps may do with either brand in the future.
In short, I'm done. There's still some 70s stuff I'd like, and some of the bonus cards and insert stuff I haven't started gathering yet. But as far as new product is concerned, I'm done.

I feel your pain. I was left speechless as well at what was suppose to be a celebration is now a pile of cards I will probably never look again. Im also going back to some 15th and 16th series that Im missing.

Im not sure Topps doesnt care anymore- its cheap gags, amateurish computer art and uninteresting topics. If it sells, they will continue this direction sadly. :sad:

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #311 on: April 03, 2017, 07:29:25 PM »
I finished opening up my first box of Collector's Editions, and wondering how everyone else is doing with what they're discovering.

I got two autographed cards  (Simko and Im)
No sketches at all, dang it
8 Medallions, one per box.  Two are identical, one yellow though.  LOVE these things!
7 different oversized art cards (which are very cool), one dupe.  The set is 10, I believe, and they included
    Dave's Old School Crushed Berries as the 10th title, even greater!
One printing plate
Two red backgrounds, maybe 4 silvers?
Lots of black ludlows, several red ones, too.

I'm happy, but I wish the sketches were a little easier to get.  These are going to be killer!

• Administrator
« Reply #312 on: April 03, 2017, 08:15:35 PM »
I finished opening up my first box of Collector's Editions, and wondering how everyone else is doing with what they're discovering.

I'm happy, but I wish the sketches were a little easier to get.  These are going to be killer!
all that in just your first box?  >(
very nice

it's crazy that it seems like we've seen hundreds and hundreds of sketches being posted, but they are so tough to actually find in packs

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #313 on: April 03, 2017, 09:58:39 PM »

I got two autographed cards  (Simko and Im)
No sketches at all, dang it
8 Medallions, one per box.  Two are identical, one yellow though.  LOVE these things!
7 different oversized art cards (which are very cool), one dupe.  The set is 10, I believe, and they included
    Dave's Old School Crushed Berries as the 10th title, even greater!
One printing plate
Two red backgrounds, maybe 4 silvers?
Lots of black ludlows, several red ones, too.

You found a yellow also?  That is great 2 have been found by collectors!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #314 on: April 04, 2017, 01:36:35 AM »
Here is my two or nine cents:

1. I love Wackys

2. Artwork is always subjective but that is why we love these

3. Sketch cards - TOUGH PULLS! I have gone through 24 collectors boxes and 1 card (Promesso colored shaped)

4. Printing plates - NONE??!! out of 24 boxes?????

5. Medallions - in all 24 boxes ????

6. Artist Signed Cards - 1

7. Andrew - Gold in them thar hills - Congrats!

8. Politics - hmmmm not so much for the anniversary set

9. Have we lost our Wacky way....... this started out as product parodies and we see to be confused....... 8-10 year olds are
    more interested in the Video Games and other inappropriate stuff on a screen - We are off in a desert on a horse with
    no name; The Wacky Desert I fear.....

We should have, in my opinion, been celebrating the original WP's that got us this far, instead, a potentially cheap attempt to have Topps remove the guilt they have created that they have all but given up on the WPs.

The decision makers at Topps who steer the WPs should be avid collectors / artists within the ranks, not some pencil head 4 years out of college with a business major in philosophy with a minor in art.

Product parodies are what got us here, especially the booze, cigs and Ovary Show! (HA!!!), lest we forget where we come from I fear we are lost.

The good old days of Cease and Desist Orders! and the BASIC 30 to 33 cards, we have to get back to basics, not 8,000,000 versions of the same card with a different color.

I will always love my WPs, it is kind of like buying a the new monster cereals, Count Chocula was my favorite!  It just does not taste like the old days, of course not wheat versus plastic (preservatives) ..... I fear our WPs are going the same way......

Richard

P.S...... Let me get my famous rant our there early: I BET THERE IS NOT GOING TO BE A BINDER..... AGAIN!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

anything