Author Topic: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Series  (Read 135783 times)

Offline Joe G.

Re: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Series
« Reply #245 on: March 30, 2017, 12:07:13 PM »
Alex, Patrick and Paul thanks, it's unfortunate when you have a fun concept and the final art loses some of the humor.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 12:51:31 PM by Joe G. »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #246 on: March 30, 2017, 01:20:53 PM »
Got my boxes. Opened almost one whole hobby box and the only "rarity" was a silver...

Offline quas

« Reply #247 on: March 30, 2017, 01:43:14 PM »
Got my boxes. Opened almost one whole hobby box and the only "rarity" was a silver...

And once you find that "rarity", I don't believe there's a chance for anything else special in that box.
Marc

« Reply #248 on: March 30, 2017, 02:33:25 PM »
ah nice, a boost from the usual 15

totally different topic - but I'm seeing two different value boxes. I think that means there's finally one for Target and another for Wal*mart again
Does anyone know where you get the "Best of the 90's" cards? I got the best of the 80's in one set of value boxes and "Best of the 00's" in hobby boxes. I assume they could be in the other value boxes.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #249 on: March 30, 2017, 02:52:46 PM »
And once you find that "rarity", I don't believe there's a chance for anything else special in that box.

So does that mean that my other box would have a "rarity" in it? (Because yes, there were no other specials in that box)

Offline quas

« Reply #250 on: March 30, 2017, 03:01:18 PM »
So does that mean that my other box would have a "rarity" in it? (Because yes, there were no other specials in that box)

I believe it should contain have one rarity, yes.
Marc

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: March 30, 2017, 03:04:09 PM »
Does anyone know where you get the "Best of the 90's" cards? I got the best of the 80's in one set of value boxes and "Best of the 00's" in hobby boxes. I assume they could be in the other value boxes.
best of the 90's are in those 'fat' Value Packs.

I've been working on the info in the Master List, and have the 'sources' for the various chase cards listed there.
http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=4895.msg86156#msg86156

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 03:24:52 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

« Reply #252 on: March 30, 2017, 03:11:02 PM »
best of the 90's are in those 'fat' Value Packs.

I've been working on the info in the Master List, and have the 'sources' for the various chase cards listed there.
http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=4895.msg86156#msg86156

Thank you very much. What you do for us by making the checklist is very much appreciated.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #253 on: March 30, 2017, 03:23:57 PM »
I opened my other box, and ordered a third box.

I got a David Gross signature card for "Taylor Swift's Little Blacklisted Book"

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #254 on: March 30, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »
Opened 7 Value Packs and 3 Collector Boxes. Scored a Red/ Pink 7/10 Hawaiian Punks Medallion Card.
Also found a Black Plate for Laff Cereal,  A 82/99 Geek Giant Medallion Card and a  8/10 Red Background Harry's Potting Mix Sticker. Not too bad.

Also got 9 out of 10 Old School Stickers and 8 out of 10 Best of 90's Stickers.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #255 on: March 31, 2017, 07:53:10 AM »

"Lowlights" is a bit edgy, considering the cultural trend of political correctness and hyper-sensitivity.   

Currently more than 1 in 10 children are being "diagnosed" with anxiety and attention-deficit "disorders".

I like it!

Offline quas

« Reply #256 on: March 31, 2017, 08:21:40 AM »
"Lowlights" is a bit edgy, considering the cultural trend of political correctness and hyper-sensitivity.   

Currently more than 1 in 10 children are being "diagnosed" with anxiety and attention-deficit "disorders".

(Image removed from quote.)

I like it!

Same here!  Challenge the edge of political correctness!
Marc

Offline GadzookaBoy

• Just Another Funko Observer
« Reply #257 on: March 31, 2017, 08:37:58 AM »
Can someone advise me on a price for a collectors box please ..

Is 85 shipped a good price ?
How old is this gum ???
It's ALL about being WACKY !!!
WEB SITE http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/
TOY/PERSONAL BLOG http:/jafosnews.blogspot.com/

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #258 on: March 31, 2017, 08:39:43 AM »
They are now showing up in California! Bought five fat packs and four value boxes – didn't pull anything special Out of those packs or boxes! Disappointed...A

Offline GadzookaBoy

• Just Another Funko Observer
« Reply #259 on: March 31, 2017, 08:51:41 AM »
I went to some Walmarts yesterday and one Target .. nothing.

I want my WACKYS !!
How old is this gum ???
It's ALL about being WACKY !!!
WEB SITE http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/
TOY/PERSONAL BLOG http:/jafosnews.blogspot.com/

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #260 on: March 31, 2017, 09:07:14 AM »
What I am about to say is in NO way a critique of the actual art and designs put forth by the artists but I am prepared for the fallout. Thank god for pulling a smokin' joe autograph in the first pack I opened. There are a few things In society I am sick and tired of seeing: Celebs and Politics. Need I say more.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #261 on: March 31, 2017, 09:11:22 AM »
What I am about to say is in NO way a critique of the actual art and designs put forth by the artists but I am prepared for the fallout. Thank god for pulling a smokin' joe autograph in the first pack I opened. There are a few things In society I am sick and tired of seeing: Celebs and Politics. Need I say more.
What I noticed mostly was how much like the GPK releases this 50th set was - the categories, the poop and fart jokes, etc. Like others wrote, it didn't seem like a Wacky Package release....A

Offline Soremel

« Reply #262 on: March 31, 2017, 09:33:17 AM »
ATTENTION: The views and opinions expressed in this post are soley those of Soremel. These views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of the collective force of this forum. Soremel is old and cranky, therefore, his opinions should be totally ignored... or better yet, viewed as the delusional insights of a straightjacket clad madman... don't make eye contact... just slowly walk away... :P

I was hoping that this set would have put more emphasis on the original 16 series, or a nod to at least ONE title from each of the series.

Over the last few series, there seems to have been more of an emphasis on producing as many parallels, chase cards, limited variations, etc. than there was in art direction. While there are a number of well done pieces in this set, the number of poorly executed pieces is alarming. Years ago, I recall Fleer's "Crazy Labels" sets being dubbed the "red-headed step-children" of parody cards. Today, many of the titles from the Crazy Labels sets are superior to some of the recent Wacky Packages offerings. It appears that a "quantity over quality" mentality has stricken this brand.

When I saw the sneek peaks of David's Old School contributions to the Anniversary set, I considered only purchasing those cards as they seemed to hold true to the Wacky legacy. I was extremely disappointed to see that the end product had reduced the traditional black borders to anemic single stroke lines. Same thing goes with the lack of formed die-cutting (kiss-cutting) of the stickers. Topps totally abandoned two of the characteristics that helped make the brand what it is. Leaving these two features out of a 50th anniversary set is shameful. It's even more ludicrous when one considers the Topps vs. Top Shelf Enterprises lawsuit where a bone of contention was the use of "the black borders" on the "Silly Supermarket" sets.

I will not be collecting any part of this set. Being a completist, the amount of "extras" needed to put a whole master set together goes way beyond my budget. If the set had more quality and adherence to the true core of the Wacky Packages brand, I would have considered going all out, but I'm investing my time and funds in upgrading and completing my 1967-1977 collection.

I think a FAR better 50th Anniversary tribute would have been to continue the Chrome set and release the 4th thru 16th series. Heck, maybe even release the 3rd Abrams book... A little closure is good.

Just my two cents (mic drop) :-X

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #263 on: March 31, 2017, 11:15:43 AM »
What has me perplexed is the intended target of this series. Who is it exactly? Those who are interested in the teenie bopper celebrities sure as hell are not the older, more focused collector whom I would assume would be familiar with such a long anniversary and I doubt I am making a false statement when saying that isn't us (into the bubblegum pop crap).

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #264 on: March 31, 2017, 12:41:22 PM »
A shout out to Paul Harris as he came up with the concept for the Old School Arthur Treacherous.

Besides the 10 Old School pieces my contributions to this series are:

Concept: Adam Levine Maroon 5 O'Clock Shadow Razor (Camera), Big Bang Popcorn (Smokin Joe), Bill Gates Windows Cleaner (Camera), Blake Shelton Country Cliche Biscuits (Camera), Kong Banana Split Ice Cream (Smokin Joe), Jennifer Lawrence Trip Planner (Smokin Joe), Curby Gumballs (Simko), Wonderous Pasta (Smokin Joe), Zefron 6-Pack Soda (Smokin Joe)

Concept/ Painting:

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #265 on: March 31, 2017, 12:52:46 PM »
What has me perplexed is the intended target of this series. Who is it exactly? Those who are interested in the teenie bopper celebrities sure as hell are not the older, more focused collector whom I would assume would be familiar with such a long anniversary and I doubt I am making a false statement when saying that isn't us (into the bubblegum pop crap).

John, well the intended market is 8-10 year olds.  I think that been true for retail Wackys since the start.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #266 on: March 31, 2017, 01:06:24 PM »
Thanks, Dave, but you also made it your own and came up with a great gag and the artwork is incredible!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #267 on: March 31, 2017, 01:45:23 PM »
ATTENTION: The views and opinions expressed in this post are soley those of Soremel. These views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of the collective force of this forum. Soremel is old and cranky, therefore, his opinions should be totally ignored... or better yet, viewed as the delusional insights of a straightjacket clad madman... don't make eye contact... just slowly walk away... :P

I was hoping that this set would have put more emphasis on the original 16 series, or a nod to at least ONE title from each of the series.

Over the last few series, there seems to have been more of an emphasis on producing as many parallels, chase cards, limited variations, etc. than there was in art direction. While there are a number of well done pieces in this set, the number of poorly executed pieces is alarming. Years ago, I recall Fleer's "Crazy Labels" sets being dubbed the "red-headed step-children" of parody cards. Today, many of the titles from the Crazy Labels sets are superior to some of the recent Wacky Packages offerings. It appears that a "quantity over quality" mentality has stricken this brand.

When I saw the sneek peaks of David's Old School contributions to the Anniversary set, I considered only purchasing those cards as they seemed to hold true to the Wacky legacy. I was extremely disappointed to see that the end product had reduced the traditional black borders to anemic single stroke lines. Same thing goes with the lack of formed die-cutting (kiss-cutting) of the stickers. Topps totally abandoned two of the characteristics that helped make the brand what it is. Leaving these two features out of a 50th anniversary set is shameful. It's even more ludicrous when one considers the Topps vs. Top Shelf Enterprises lawsuit where a bone of contention was the use of "the black borders" on the "Silly Supermarket" sets.

I will not be collecting any part of this set. Being a completist, the amount of "extras" needed to put a whole master set together goes way beyond my budget. If the set had more quality and adherence to the true core of the Wacky Packages brand, I would have considered going all out, but I'm investing my time and funds in upgrading and completing my 1967-1977 collection.

I think a FAR better 50th Anniversary tribute would have been to continue the Chrome set and release the 4th thru 16th series. Heck, maybe even release the 3rd Abrams book... A little closure is good.

Just my two cents (mic drop) :-X

The Old School borders don't look too bad. Thinner but not horribly thin like the base stuff. However, I'm going to plead to have the full size on the OLDS6 release. Not sure the die-cut will come back though. That really adds to the cost and the numbers are just not there anymore.

Offline drono

« Reply #268 on: March 31, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »
John, well the intended market is 8-10 year olds.  I think that been true for retail Wackys since the start.

Quite true!  I suppose if I were 9 years old again, like I was in 1973, then I'd be interested in this set.  As a 52-year old, I have very little interest in it.  I bought 4 different sealed boxes, and they will probably remain that way until I die and my kids and grand-kids clean out my closets.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #269 on: March 31, 2017, 02:36:35 PM »
A shout out to Paul Harris as he came up with the concept for the Old School Arthur Treacherous.

Besides the 10 Old School pieces my contributions to this series are:

Concept: Adam Levine Maroon 5 O'Clock Shadow Razor (Camera), Big Bang Popcorn (Smokin Joe), Bill Gates Windows Cleaner (Camera), Blake Shelton Country Cliche Biscuits (Camera), Kong Banana Split Ice Cream (Smokin Joe), Jennifer Lawrence Trip Planner (Smokin Joe), Curby Gumballs (Simko), Wonderous Pasta (Smokin Joe), Zefron 6-Pack Soda (Smokin Joe)

Concept/ Painting:

dave - these are great - esp the amy schemer one!! i would have made the arinna grande about her touching her nasty hands on the donuts...that would of been funny for me...just saying...WE NEED THE THICK BLACK BORDERS BACK ALTHOUGH I LIKE THE YELLOW AND BLUE SURROUNDS...SHOULD HAVE KEEP THE BLACK TEXTURE AS IN THE PAST...THOSE WERE COOL- MY 3 CENTS

• Administrator
« Reply #270 on: March 31, 2017, 03:12:04 PM »
The Old School borders don't look too bad. Thinner but not horribly thin like the base stuff. However, I'm going to plead to have the full size on the OLDS6 release. Not sure the die-cut will come back though. That really adds to the cost and the numbers are just not there anymore.
in a way, these thin borders make them look ever more truly old-school, where the sticker background has been peeled off   ;)

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #271 on: March 31, 2017, 03:50:48 PM »
The Old School borders don't look too bad. Thinner but not horribly thin like the base stuff.

I agree.  The OS borders don't look that bad at all.  They have a cleaner, less "chunky" look about them than the original WP.  Given a choice, though, I would still prefer the thicker borders (again, for the sake of tradition.)  I could, however, also live comfortably with these.

Just curious.  The original WP didn't have to have such a thick border, yet they did anyway.  Was this to allow more room for error in the die-cut process of fifty years ago?

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #272 on: March 31, 2017, 03:56:18 PM »
Is "Beyonce Honey" the first WP to feature artwork removed from the base "sticker?"  (The three bees hovering around - yet not touching - the honey jar.)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:59:35 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #273 on: March 31, 2017, 04:42:11 PM »
My Hits so far

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #274 on: March 31, 2017, 04:44:08 PM »

Quote from: Joe G.

John, well the intended market is 8-10 year olds.  I think that's been true for retail Wackys since the start.

I agree with FourRoses in that an anniversary set should have targeted the Original WP generation whose members would more fully appreciate the concept of a Wacky Packages Anniversary (and possess vast loads of background information in which to better appreciate such a set.)  The set could have been smaller, say 50 cards - which makes a certain sense - and could have been available solely as a Topps online exclusive.  I don't believe 8 - 10 year old children really care that it says "50th Anniversary" on the retail package.  That means little or nothing to them.  What they really care about are the stickers inside of the package.

Topps could have then simultaneously released a retail set catering more specifically to the 8 - 10 year old group who would better appreciate the current parodies.  The way it stands now, the 50th Anniversary set is a mish-mash between, what I believe, should have been two separate releases.

On another note, if Topps is, indeed, catering to the 8 - 10 year old group, I cannot help but to wonder if some of the parodies might simply fly over their heads - in particular the political parodies/satires?  Yes, I can see this age bracket getting into Pokemon and cereal and such, but does the average eight year old really comprehend what is going on in today's political arena - besides just recognizing Trump (and his hair?)  That is, do they possess enough information and/or inferring skills (which constitutes a large part of being able to enjoy Wackys) to understand and appreciate the political gags?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 06:06:02 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #275 on: March 31, 2017, 10:06:30 PM »
These are awesome! Could you please post reference images of the actual products you used...something for the comparison art-chive? Thanks!

I hate to say it but I trashed my folder of reference for these. I must have had a brain fart. I can't remember why I would have done such a thing. I do have my OLDS6 products and will save those for the release.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #276 on: March 31, 2017, 11:15:27 PM »
I splurged and pre-ordered a collector's case since I knew I wouldn't be around for the 100th anniversary. They arrived today and I have been opening and collating this evening. My "big hits" were...

7 medallion cards = 4 blue backgrounds (1 of 99), 3 grey background (1 of 50)
   1 can shaped setch
   1 redemption card for a dual artist panorama card
   1 silver border
   1 artist autograph

I hope to have a want/trade list  posted tomorrow.

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #277 on: April 01, 2017, 06:09:27 AM »
Question:  The Best of 00's cards are only in retail packs. Blaster Boxes have 5 retail packs plus 5 Best 80's cards. Do the packs in the Blaster box have Best of 00's since they are retail packs?

Andrew

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: April 01, 2017, 06:26:48 AM »
Question:  The Best of 00's cards are only in retail packs. Blaster Boxes have 5 retail packs plus 5 Best 80's cards. Do the packs in the Blaster box have Best of 00's since they are retail packs?

Andrew
the packs in the Value boxes are not retail packs, but Value box packs, and do not have Best of cards.
they are the same 7 Black, 1 Blue, with odds for hits. But no odds for the Best of's.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 06:28:42 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #279 on: April 01, 2017, 06:27:33 AM »
the packs in the Value boxes are different packs than the retail packs, and do not have Best of cards.
they are the same 7 Black, 1 Blue, with odds for hits. But no odds for the Best of's.

Thanks

anything