Author Topic: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Series  (Read 133104 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Series
« on: October 25, 2016, 03:07:43 PM »

Offline vahsurfer

Re: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Series
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 03:26:13 PM »
AWESOME!

I do not have to worry about my XMAS Money getting Gobbled Up!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 03:43:26 PM »
Dave, thanks so much for posting this especially since 'Comrade Crunch', that's my gag! 

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 05:54:14 PM by Joe G. »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 04:46:43 PM »
Cool to see some specifics on the set. Thanks

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 06:43:40 PM »
WAHOO!!!!!!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 07:24:48 PM »
The first news on the new set:

http://www.beckett.com/news/2017-topps-wacky-packages-50th-anniversary/

Just in time for Halloween.  A sneak peek at a Donald Trump Wacky!

SPOILER ALERT!   SPOILER ALERT!   SPOILER ALERT!

Don't click this unless you want to be soiled

http://beckett-www.s3.amazonaws.com/news/news-content/uploads/2016/10/2017-Topps-Wacky-Packages-50th-Anniversary-Base-Trump-Building-Blocks.jpg

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 07:29:59 PM »
ugh. Too many parallels again. Oh, well. At least there's some nods to a half century ago with Luds. And, they're doing something to acknowledge this Wacky milestone. Can't really ask for much more, I suppose.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 07:33:11 PM »
I know I almost soiled myself when I saw it, LOL!

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 08:58:26 PM »
Dave, thanks so much for posting this especially since 'Comrade Crunch', that's my gag!
Good one Joe!!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 09:17:35 PM »
Good one Joe!!

Chad, thanks so much!  Hoping to see some of your awesome sketches in this set!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 09:43:20 PM »
Ugh. So they are continuing to dilute and alter the brand like they are with gpk's by including more and more non-product spoofs for celebrities and politicians.
Don't care for this trend at all. Not why I buy these cards.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 02:37:35 AM »
Kinda disappointed to be honest. I thought it was gonna be cool reprints, just another trending series.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 03:27:32 AM »
Kinda disappointed to be honest. I thought it was gonna be cool reprints, just another trending series.

The medallion cards should be cool and hopefully will be classic titles. The Old School subset has promise. Best of 00's looks cool as this is the period

when the brand was relaunched. It will be cool to see what Topps considers were the best ANS cards.  Fingers crossed.

"Other premium inserts in 2017 Topps Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary include Artist Autographs and Medallion cards (Hobby Collector only).

A couple of exclusive inserts delve into the past. Best of the ’00s are found in Hobby packs. Wacky Packages Old School are on in Hobby Collector packs."

Offline Swiski

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 04:52:48 AM »
Ugh. So they are continuing to dilute and alter the brand like they are with gpk's by including more and more non-product spoofs for celebrities and politicians.

Ahhh! So that's what I couldn't find a picture of the real product used for Trump Blocks - completely made up!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 05:20:48 AM »
Ahhh! So that's what I couldn't find a picture of the real product used for Trump Blocks - completely made up!
Yep. Beyoncé, Trump, Hello Kitty. All fakes to get pop culture into the set. Like the mlb wackys did with baseball. Does nothing for me.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 05:29:27 AM »

Joe, looking good!  Congrats!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 05:48:28 AM »
Yep. Beyoncé, Trump, Hello Kitty. All fakes to get pop culture into the set. Like the mlb wackys did with baseball. Does nothing for me.

I don't care for this in Wackys.  It can work for GPK, but I want Wackys to be parodies of actual products.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 06:36:53 AM »
Just in time for Halloween.  A sneak peek at a Donald Trump Wacky!

SPOILER ALERT!   SPOILER ALERT!   SPOILER ALERT!

http://beckett-www.s3.amazonaws.com/news/news-content/uploads/2016/10/2017-Topps-Wacky-Packages-50th-Anniversary-Base-Trump-Building-Blocks.jpg

THAT IS FREAKIN' HILARIOUS!!  :] :] :] :]

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 06:38:23 AM »

I couldn't agree more - except the Trump one is funny  :]

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 08:32:08 AM »
  Anxiously awaiting the invite!!!

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 10:03:28 AM »
There will be subsets that spoof real products.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 10:58:24 AM »
As someone who has taken a pass on the last several releases, I see nothing in this one likely to change my mind.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 11:18:53 AM »
OK, I'm gonna give my take on this although I know it will be in the minority.  Remember like Trix, Wackys are for kids (8-10 years old).  In fact when I write gags, the family gets together and we brainstorm ideas.  From this I learn a ton about current culture and the things kids today are interested in.  If Wackys did the same thing year after year, I think it might get a little stale.  So after 50 years I've got no problem with Topps trying something new. 

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 12:00:54 PM »
Blowout has them listed and there's a link to the sell sheet at the bottom of the page.

http://www.blowoutcards.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12610

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »
I'm a kid and do not enjoy the celebrity and current events cards.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 12:46:31 PM »
I'm a kid and do not enjoy the celebrity and current events cards.

Well I suspect your sensibility is unique for your age.  How many if your friends collect Wackys?  I think Topps hopes to expand the appeal to bring more kids into collecting them. 

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 01:00:06 PM »
Joe, you hit the nail on the head!  As writers, we all get a kick out of creating great spoofs of products, and it helps us relive the older memories, but I respect what Topps is trying to do, to bring in a wider, younger audience by using celebrities, pop culture, all that stuff, and I'm thankful that we still have our Wackies! 

Sure, maybe there are a few too many parallels, but if they didn't do so much, then we'd probably be complaining and wanting more! 

From what I've seen, I think this set will be very enjoyable and more appealing than the MLB set was.  We have our tried-and-true subsets, lots of tributes to the big 50th anniversary, and most of all, we have something!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 03:02:25 PM »
Why can't they make parodies of real products using modern celebrities and pop culture?! Making up products seems kinda cheap and generic to me. I could walk through every aisle of a grocery store and find a great product to spoof with someone like Donald Trump on it? I just don't understand why they need to screw with the formula!!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 03:45:08 PM »
I think it disrespects the brand by doing the fake products and all the other hoopla here. IMO, we're supposed to be celebrating what Wacky Packs were originally, not what they are now. I understand, to a degree, that one must change a bit with the times, but this is a bit extreme to me.

That being said, I will likely buy a fair portion of these (the basics, anyway) only because of the historical significance of the set.

I think this set will be very enjoyable and more appealing than the MLB set was.
Limbo, anyone?   :P

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 10:27:07 PM »
Does anyone know if the Old School subset are new gags, or are they more "best of" cards like the "best of '00s" subset?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 11:45:41 PM »
Does anyone know if the Old School subset are new gags, or are they more "best of" cards like the "best of '00s" subset?

All new cards. There are 10 of them. Sort of Old School 5.5 until Old School 6 next year

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2016, 02:17:54 AM »
Well I suspect your sensibility is unique for your age.  How many if your friends collect Wackys?  I think Topps hopes to expand the appeal to bring more kids into collecting them.

None of my friends collect them.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2016, 05:21:53 PM »
OK...... Here we go:

I agree with Rawgoo ...... The BASIC PREMISE was to spoof actual products available in retail stores.... PERIOD........

The 1st-16th series was a genius idea born upon those of us in our youth enjoyed laughing at the humor of MAD Magazine and Cracked Magazine ...... we got it!

Fun and immature laughter based on a cartoon rendition of a product (Spy Vs Spy or the Shadow Knows series in MAD Magazine)

The OVERABUNDANCE!!!!!! of 134,456,096 versions of a card (a.k.a. parallels) has diluted the brand in my opinion, much like the NFL with 4+ versions of football...... tooooo much!!!!!

We need to keep our Wacky Brand BACK TO BASICS!!!!!

30-33 Cards
1 (not 98378346576348965837587364) Puzzle / Checklist
and MAYBE a cool chase / bonus card

I love my Wacky's and the commercialization of an awesome brand is being diluted in the attempt to impress I do not know who???

RED / BLUE / LUDLOW THIS AND THAT!!!! / GREEN / SEPIA / LEATHER / WOOD ...... WTF not have every color in the Rainbow!!!!

a TRUE enthusiast appreciates the ART which is why Norm started this whole rat race so many years ago...... there are sooo many talented artists and when I think of Neil (THE MAN!!!!!!!) and up and comers like Chad and Joe G., I have HOPE for the future.......

We need to take a hard look in the Wacky Mirror - KISS (Keep it simple stupid)

BINDERS!!!!! For the Love of G-d!!!!!

Get back to what worked in 1st - 16th!

(Drop the mic now....)

PEACE!!!!!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2016, 07:36:54 PM »
Agreed, and if we Forum members were the main target audience, there would be no problem at all, but Topps wants to, and still desires to market these to a younger crowd, that's what they feel is best.  Using references to what's popular out there, such as music, pop culture, video games, current events, etc. is their way to do this, and if it keeps the Wacky Train going, so be it, I'm happy!

There are plenty of subsets in there to keep us long-term enthusiasts happy. 

Yes, probably too many color parallels, but it doesn't bother me one bit.  Those completists will get what they can, the others will still be happy.

Offline drono

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2016, 08:52:24 PM »
I have to agree with vahsurfer on this one.  I understand doing something new for the kids today, but this is a 50th anniversary set, so it should pay respect to all 50 years, not just the last 10.  If you want to put out a set like this, just put out an ANS (what number are we up to now?) set.

And yes, binders would be nice!

It's very unfortunate.  I was really looking forward to this set, but I'll probably just buy a base set off eBay and maybe a hobby box to keep.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:57:01 PM by drono »