Author Topic: Anyone collect Ludlow back variations  (Read 1560 times)

Offline drono

Anyone collect Ludlow back variations
« on: September 18, 2023, 04:02:42 AM »
I never thought about this, but since there are at least two of each sticker on an uncut sheet, the patterns for Ludlows could potentially be different on the backs of the same sticker.  Has anyone delved into collecting these variations?  Those variations could probably be used to validate fake Ludlow-backed stickers too.

Offline bigtomi

Re: Anyone collect Ludlow back variations
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 11:33:43 AM »
I never thought about this, but since there are at least two of each sticker on an uncut sheet, the patterns for Ludlows could potentially be different on the backs of the same sticker.  Has anyone delved into collecting these variations?  Those variations could probably be used to validate fake Ludlow-backed stickers too.
I'm not so sure that the Ludlow pattern repeats exactly based on the size of a full uncut sheet.

Offline drono

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 12:44:14 PM »
I'm not so sure that the Ludlow pattern repeats exactly based on the size of a full uncut sheet.

I guess if 132-sticker sheets are cut from larger sheets then the patterns wouldn't repeat.  If they're produced as 132-sticker sheets, then they might be exactly the same across all sheets, so sticker position on the sheet would definitely determine back pattern.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 09:17:37 PM »
I guess if 132-sticker sheets are cut from larger sheets then the patterns wouldn't repeat.  If they're produced as 132-sticker sheets, then they might be exactly the same across all sheets, so sticker position on the sheet would definitely determine back pattern.
I checked my 8 red ludlow bandaches and the pattern is different on all of them.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 09:18:31 PM »

Vintage Ludlow sheets varied from sheet to sheet (sheets were cut from a larger roll) and weren't always fed into the press in the same direction.

1st Series sheets had 2 slits consisting of 7 rows of 11 stickers (77 stickers per slit, 154 per full sheet).  2nd Series and later sheets had 2 slits consisting on 12 rows of 11 sticker (132 stickers per slit, 264 per full sheet).  Starting with the 2nd series they denoted Slit A (*) and Slit B (**) with stars in the copyright line.  There were 2 types: red/permanent and black/removable.  I'm not sure if anybody has truly been able to recreate the pattern printed on the back of the larger sheets, from the known stickers for either type.

Modern Ludlows (OLDS, etc pre-POD) were printed onto the back of the sheet and were uniform from sheet to sheet with some of the series like OLDS3, having 2 intentionally slightly different Ludlow sheets, so each sticker is available in 2 back variations.

I have not bought any of the POD issues, but judging from the ones shown on ebay, the Ludlow back is identical on each sticker and in the case of at least the 2020s they erroneously created red/removable ludlows.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 09:21:35 PM »
I checked my 8 red ludlow bandaches and the pattern is different on all of them.

You need a larger sample size.  Going though Eric's 300+ Red Ludaches, I saw some that could be confused for being identical.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 10:14:23 PM »
You need a larger sample size.  Going though Eric's 300+ Red Ludaches, I saw some that could be confused for being identical.
Let's not forget the light black and dark black 2nd series luds, those are variations too, no?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 11:09:06 PM »
Let's not forget the light black and dark black 2nd series luds, those are variations too, no?

Absolutely!  And don't forget camels walking up and camels walking down  ;)

But the rarest of all is the unique Ratz #4 Red Ludlow!  I hear it was added to the 10th series.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 11:11:16 PM by Crazy Zoo Keeper »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 05:11:27 AM »
1st Series sheets had 2 slits consisting of 7 rows of 11 stickers (77 stickers per slit, 154 per full sheet).  2nd Series and later sheets had 2 slits consisting on 12 rows of 11 sticker (132 stickers per slit, 264 per full sheet). 
The 7 row sticker sheets were used for the majority of the Series, including the 2nd.
12 row sticker sheets were only used with 10th, 13th - 16th .

Offline bandaches

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 07:32:33 PM »
Absolutely!  And don't forget camels walking up and camels walking down  ;)

But the rarest of all is the unique Ratz #4 Red Ludlow!  I hear it was added to the 10th series.
yes of course, up and down! Seriously speaking, I have the rare #3 Jolly Mean.  I guess I should find out if that should be #21 or #43.  You have the sheets memorized, do you know?

anything