Author Topic: Check this set out...another Wacky Pack Vending series?  (Read 8247 times)

Offline ScaryLee

Check this set out...another Wacky Pack Vending series?
« on: September 27, 2016, 09:00:53 AM »
I picked this set up mis-described on Ebay (the listing did not mention Wacky Packages) about a year ago (maybe 2). I have yet to see another appear. Does anyone have any idea about its origins? Some of the art is subtly different in that the colors have changed. In many cases they look vastly superior to the originals. Check out the difference in Polar Spring. There is just no comparison to how well it came out compared to the ANS8 version. These are not as thick as the vending Wackys, they are a little on the flimsy side. Some of them randomly have the word shineko on the back, which like "Ludlow" is a sticker paper manufacturer.

Offline ScaryLee

Re: Check this set out...another Wacky Pack Vending series?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 09:07:54 AM »
Plus there is Lucky Strike, and I am not even sure where this came from. It looks very close to the way the packaging looks for the actual cigarettes.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 09:27:23 AM »
Hey John! Great to see you on the forum again! Those are really interesting stickers! I've never seen them posted before! It would be interesting to find out the origins (maybe China?). Did the auction mention anything more about them?

Thanks for sharing!

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 09:37:52 AM »
No, it was just listed as parodies or something along those lines. They came from inside the United States, though initially may have came from China. It's good to be back on the forum, thanks!

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 10:10:11 AM »
Here are some more scans.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 10:11:24 AM »
If you down load the original, the above is pretty good sized.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 10:13:34 AM »
Fantastic! Thanks a bunch!

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 11:21:05 AM »
You're very welcome!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 11:52:56 AM »
Well as they don't have a Topps copyright, they're not an official set, but a bootleg item.  I don't think you'd find a bootleg set in vending machines in the US.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 05:49:17 PM by Joe G. »

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 04:39:21 PM »
Good point about there being no copyright. Whoever did these put in a lot of work to make the artwork stand out so much better than the originals.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 04:46:17 PM »
I also wonder, if these are just bootlegs, how did they get such clarity from scanning existing stickers? It seems like they had access to higher quality images.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 05:53:26 PM »
They must have found the images on line.  I remember Jason Liebig had a problem when a company made a puzzle of vintage candy and used his images without permission.  It is impressive that they went to the trouble to do such and nice job and do die-cuts as well. 

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 07:26:18 PM »
I agree. It's a pretty cool set. Its unfortunate that they seem to be better at making the art stand out than the professionals at Topps are (we are left with inferior product and don't really know it lol)

Offline Beanball

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 11:08:03 AM »
Good point about there being no copyright. Whoever did these put in a lot of work to make the artwork stand out so much better than the originals.
That is a very nice set.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 12:50:30 PM »
I agree. It's a pretty cool set. Its unfortunate that they seem to be better at making the art stand out than the professionals at Topps are (we are left with inferior product and don't really know it lol)

Yeah! That's the way my painting looked. It's a shame all these years so much of the colors have been lost when they print them.

I've always posted my paintings so the person could have got my images from my posts.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 04:40:19 PM »
That is very interesting Dave. I thought Polar Spring was yours and I almost contacted you directly in regards to it. This is a cool set, its too bad that they are next to non-existent in the states. They must have been mass produced in another country I imagine.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 07:41:50 AM »
I picked this set up mis-described on Ebay (the listing did not mention Wacky Packages) about a year ago (maybe 2). I have yet to see another appear. Does anyone have any idea about its origins? Some of the art is subtly different in that the colors have changed. In many cases they look vastly superior to the originals. Check out the difference in Polar Spring. There is just no comparison to how well it came out compared to the ANS8 version. These are not as thick as the vending Wackys, they are a little on the flimsy side. Some of them randomly have the word shineko on the back, which like "Ludlow" is a sticker paper manufacturer.

Weird collection of titles, there seems to be no pattern to it.  The seller had no information on the source of these?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 02:13:13 PM »
Weird collection of titles, there seems to be no pattern to it.  The seller had no information on the source of these?

Looks like they like soft drinks and cigarettes.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 03:33:14 AM »
That is very interesting Dave. I thought Polar Spring was yours and I almost contacted you directly in regards to it. This is a cool set, its too bad that they are next to non-existent in the states. They must have been mass produced in another country I imagine.

They really did a nice job with the artwork, especially Polar Spring - Topps did not do that painting justice!

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 08:30:39 AM »

Ernie, there was zero information by the seller. I asked where they got them and it was like they got them with a lot of other stuff.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 08:45:48 AM »
I just double checked this and the seller was in Canada, so these were probably for sale in stores in Canada.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 06:37:59 PM »
I WISHHHH I had seen these!

I like the rare and eclectic!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 06:58:32 PM »
I just double checked this and the seller was in Canada, so these were probably for sale in stores in Canada.

There's a few Canadian members on the forum. Maybe they can offer some insight about availability, eh?

Offline cardnut

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 05:49:32 PM »
I live in Ontario, Canada and have never seen these before.  I did a google search on the name on the back of the sticker and it is a company out of China that sells self adhesive printing paper supplies.  Is it possible that someone with access to high quality printing equipment and access to some wacky images was doing some experimenting? You would think that if it was a licensed product it would be on the front of the cards.  Just my thoughts. 

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2016, 05:55:14 PM »
With all the trouble it would take to have them die cut like that, they must have been produced in large quantities and probably sold in stores somewhere. They are almost certainly boot legs without the copyright info.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2016, 07:06:51 PM »
What a cool find!  And what a strange mix of titles.  I like the mix, though, and the high quality of the reproduction.  Having a quality item like these in the upcoming 50th anniversary set (if such a thing indeed happens) would be OK by me.