Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640389 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1610 on: April 27, 2019, 09:57:27 AM »
Oscar Moron and Oscar Mayer Bacon. I scoured the internet trying to find a matching real product image. The best I could find is a screen grab from a 70s era TV commercial on YouTube, and a Cooked Ham ad with similar packaging. Anyone have a better image?

Something about this one always made me smile.  It looked like the packas my mother used to buy, and it does look like bacon.  The pig is funny, too. 

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1611 on: April 27, 2019, 11:03:11 AM »
Notice the white rectangular space for a price.  Hearkens back to simpler, pre bar code / computer times when one could pick up a grocery item and actually see the price (as opposed to searching the edge of shelves in confusion hoping to spot the correct price.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, go to Walmart and search for prices. Or worse yet, get stuck behind somebody in line waiting for a price search.  Computers may have their advantages, but making life less complicated is not one of them.  They just seem to add more weight to an already burdensome load.)

My first job was working in the produce section of a supermarket weighing fruits and vegetables for people so they knew how much they were actually paying before they got to the register.  Somewhere there must be a graveyard filled with thousands of supermarket scales.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:05:32 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #1612 on: April 27, 2019, 11:21:44 AM »
I was one of those odd kids who thought "Hey, these might be worth something in the future."! I received relentless ridicule for doing this, but it didn't deter me at all. (Oh, and each of those boxes has all of their original wrappers inside!)

Whoa! :great: :great:

Online mikecho

« Reply #1613 on: April 27, 2019, 11:39:38 AM »
LePage's Mucilage. Honey consistency glue came in a bottle with a red rubber tip with a slit in it for dispensing. Nasty stuff.
And don't forget Stifford's Messy Mucilage (Stafford's Office Mucilage) from Series 5!

I know, I'm a little late with this.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 12:43:47 PM by mikecho »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1614 on: April 27, 2019, 01:25:44 PM »
Notice the white rectangular space for a price.  Hearkens back to simpler, pre bar code / computer times when one could pick up a grocery item and actually see the price (as opposed to searching the edge of shelves in confusion hoping to spot the correct price.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, go to Walmart and search for prices. Or worse yet, get stuck behind somebody in line waiting for a price search.  Computers may have their advantages, but making life less complicated is not one of them.  They just seem to add more weight to an already burdensome load.)

My first job was working in the produce section of a supermarket weighing fruits and vegetables for people so they knew how much they were actually paying before they got to the register.  Somewhere there must be a graveyard filled with thousands of supermarket scales.

Yes, I too find that white space nostalgic.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #1615 on: April 29, 2019, 07:50:09 AM »
I was one of those odd kids who thought "Hey, these might be worth something in the future."! I received relentless ridicule for doing this, but it didn't deter me at all. (Oh, and each of those boxes has all of their original wrappers inside!)

Dang, that was incredibly smart on your part.  I wish I would have done that, as does everyone else.  That is very cool.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1616 on: May 03, 2019, 02:09:59 PM »
Life Servers and Life Savers...

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1617 on: May 03, 2019, 04:22:55 PM »
Good parody.  Clever how the spaces between the candy form the bars of the prison cell.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1618 on: May 03, 2019, 04:27:06 PM »
An overlooked beauty, at least for me. So well rendered.
And made for great boxer shorts art too.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1619 on: May 03, 2019, 07:10:44 PM »
Life Servers and Life Savers...

This one is fantastic, with a perfect gag, the character, and the dents between the candy pieces being the bars.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1620 on: May 06, 2019, 04:41:07 AM »
Hiccup's Milk of Amnesia and Phillips' Milk of Magnesia...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1621 on: May 06, 2019, 05:40:14 PM »
Nice quintessential Wacky, well-rendered bottle and good goofy character.

A lot of Wackys have drunkenness themes, but this goes a full step further toward a full-on blackout.  Causes ‘amnesia’ and makes you ‘forget who you are.’  Absurdism at its finest!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1622 on: May 07, 2019, 03:46:14 AM »
Hiccup's Milk of Amnesia and Phillips' Milk of Magnesia...

Good gag and associated taglines, and funny drunk character.  The bottle is a great copy, and the cap is especially well done.  A solid Wacky!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1623 on: May 07, 2019, 06:26:39 AM »
fun but absolutely useless fact about this one:  I cannot even swallow this stuff, period.  The texture, the chalkiness, whatever..... ecccch!

oh, the concept is great, though, love the artwork!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1624 on: May 07, 2019, 12:05:51 PM »
fun but absolutely useless fact about this one:  I cannot even swallow this stuff, period.  The texture, the chalkiness, whatever..... ecccch!

oh, the concept is great, though, love the artwork!

Same here. I never really cared for this Wacky but I think it was due to psychological scars because of bad experiences with the product itself, at a young age. This stuff is like drinking pureed chalk. Now, I can appreciate the Wacky more thoroughly since I don't force myself to take this abomination. 
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1625 on: May 10, 2019, 11:00:39 AM »
Greaseline and Vaseline. Something like "Gaseline" could have worked as a better parody. Lots of potential with the "Pure Petroleum Jelly" tagline. Maybe the characters on the jar are a husband and wife, with the husband smiling at his wife excitedly, who has "Gaseline" on her face. Using the old thought that men are turned on by their wives if they smell like stuff that men like instead of perfume.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 05:23:35 PM by Swiski »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1626 on: May 16, 2019, 04:53:20 AM »
Nutt's Apple Sauce and Mott's Apple Sauce

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1627 on: May 16, 2019, 07:26:09 AM »
The painting is rather well done.  The jar actually looks like it would break if you dropped it.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1628 on: May 16, 2019, 11:17:55 AM »
Nutt's is fine and all, but how about a Neil Camera version of "Bots Android Sauce" with the little guys frolicking on the label?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1629 on: May 16, 2019, 05:17:24 PM »

Of the handful of series I have no sentimental attachment to, from having never seen them as a kid, I think the 10th is my favorite, and this one is probably the best of the bunch for me.  Not particularly funny or witty, but in terms of phenomenal painting/rendering and adorable goofball characters, this one is tough to beat. 

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1630 on: May 16, 2019, 06:37:35 PM »

I think this is a really good gag, and I can't see anyone panning the jar depiction or the nutty characters.  I really do like this one!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1631 on: May 17, 2019, 05:40:02 AM »
Of the handful of series I have no sentimental attachment to, from having never seen them as a kid, I think the 10th is my favorite, and this one is probably the best of the bunch for me.  Not particularly funny or witty, but in terms of phenomenal painting/rendering and adorable goofball characters, this one is tough to beat.

Someone mentioned a while back that the rendering on the glass with that dot texture was among the best illustration work on this series. I agree!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1632 on: May 24, 2019, 11:04:09 AM »
Sorry for the delay. We had to euthanize our 19 year old cat last weekend. Still not over his loss, but it gets a little better every day accepting it.

Scary Jane and Mary Jane...

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #1633 on: May 24, 2019, 12:18:52 PM »
Ugh. I'm so sorry. That's a tough loss.

I liked Scary Jane because it was a parody of something I usually only saw on Halloween.

Sorry for the delay. We had to euthanize our 19 year old cat last weekend. Still not over his loss, but it gets a little better every day accepting it.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1634 on: May 24, 2019, 12:21:12 PM »

Sorry to hear of your loss.  It's a hard thing having to euthanize a loving companion.  Last year I had to put down three of my cats in a span of two days.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I like the Scary Jane parody, though can't quite say the same for the actual candy.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 06:09:50 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1635 on: June 01, 2019, 12:12:58 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Next up is Caraid and Curad...

Offline drono

« Reply #1636 on: June 01, 2019, 05:07:51 PM »
I like the Scary Jane parody, though can't quite say the same for the actual candy.

I guess you're not a fan of their theme song: 

:035: Mary Jane, Mary Jane, everybody's favorite, Mary Jane.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1637 on: June 01, 2019, 08:12:50 PM »

I like this one.  Clever parody, I like the way the car is rendered - perspective looks a little imperfect, but that’s part of its charm.  “You Auto Use ‘Em” is funny, and I like the odd perspective / orientation of the box, makes this a unique title overall.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1638 on: June 02, 2019, 02:14:00 AM »

I always liked this one - good gag with matching taglines, and a nicely done metal package.  I love the way the bandage wraps around the side.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1639 on: June 07, 2019, 06:22:13 AM »
Happy Friday! Bum Beggar Beans and B&M Baked Beans. Not the same size jar, but the label is a close match.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 09:53:56 AM by Swiski »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1640 on: June 07, 2019, 10:01:23 AM »
I remember liking this one even as a kid.  The jar is very well done, and the nostalgic characters have a certain appeal.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1641 on: June 08, 2019, 01:10:11 PM »
Agree completely with Baked Bears.  One of several great glass jar renderings in this series, and the characters are super cute.  All-around good one.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1642 on: June 08, 2019, 01:39:34 PM »
Happy Friday! Bum Beggar Beans and B&M Baked Beans. Not the same size jar, but the label is a match.

Great gag and taglines, and the jar is fantastic.  I like the characters, too.  But "Broken Oven" needs to curve with the jar.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1643 on: June 08, 2019, 02:48:59 PM »
I think it’s because of that stencil-cut lettering the artists started using around the 4th or 5th Series, to save time by skipping some of the hand lettering.  Works fine on flat boxes but obviously an issue here with the curvature.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1644 on: June 11, 2019, 04:26:03 PM »
Pepto-Dismal and Pepto-Bismol...

anything