Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640417 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1575 on: April 07, 2019, 06:00:22 PM »
fantastic painting, with Norm's signature warm lighting to one side. and perhaps a window is the reflection on the left?

the jokes are not quite in sync, as we've seen on a number of others (like Cram). If it's great for writing checks that bounce, then simply "made from melted rubber" would make more more sense.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1576 on: April 07, 2019, 06:05:02 PM »
Google the real product (“Sheaffer’s Skrip bottle”)and you’ll see some empty bottles that make it a bit clearer to see.  The bottle glass is clear, not blue like Bromo Seltzer.  I guess the dark blue ink just makes it seem like blue glass.

Now if someone can educate me on LeRage’s in Series 13.....but ah, I’m getting ahead of myself.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1577 on: April 07, 2019, 09:17:10 PM »
Google the real product (“Sheaffer’s Skrip bottle”)and you’ll see some empty bottles that make it a bit clearer to see.  The bottle glass is clear, not blue like Bromo Seltzer.  I guess the dark blue ink just makes it seem like blue glass.

Now if someone can educate me on LeRage’s in Series 13.....but ah, I’m getting ahead of myself.

I see what you're talking about. It's a smaller glass reservoir formed inside the bottle (pic attached). The parody artwork makes it look like a piece outside the bottle like a metal ribbon or something. Painting over that area with a semi-transparent dark blue overlay would have solved the problem.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1578 on: April 07, 2019, 09:56:18 PM »

LePage's Mucilage. Honey consistency glue came in a bottle with a red rubber tip with a slit in it for dispensing. Nasty stuff.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1579 on: April 08, 2019, 02:34:13 AM »
LePage's Mucilage. Honey consistency glue came in a bottle with a red rubber tip with a slit in it for dispensing. Nasty stuff.

Do I remember a vile smell?

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1580 on: April 08, 2019, 05:42:30 AM »
Do I remember a vile smell?

I thought so and the glue would always get hard and crusty around the dispensing slit so you had to spend 5 minutes cleaning it off before you used it next. And another thing, is tasted nothing like honey... errr, according to my little sister.  :-[

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1581 on: April 18, 2019, 12:12:36 PM »
Finally getting caught up on things after being gone for a week at the Star Wars Celebration.

Kicking off Vintage Series 10 is Pupsi-Cola and Pepsi-Cola...

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1582 on: April 18, 2019, 02:37:12 PM »
Gotta love Pupsi! Great parody all around!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1583 on: April 18, 2019, 03:22:28 PM »
As I’m sure most here noticed in the past year, Pepsi rolled out retro cans and bottles with this design, I think late last spring, and it was really cool to see.  It’s amazing what you don’t appreciate until it disappears for a long time.  Now if they went 100% retro by featuring these sturdier cans, and glass bottles with styrofoam wrap (like 8th Burpsi), I’d be hoarding the empties!  :-[

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1584 on: April 19, 2019, 03:38:23 AM »
Finally getting caught up on things after being gone for a week at the Star Wars Celebration.

Kicking off Vintage Series 10 is Pupsi-Cola and Pepsi-Cola...

A great Wacky!  Love the gag, the tag lines are perfect, and the dog is awesome!  And, another great job on the packaging - the can highlights are fantastic!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1585 on: April 19, 2019, 03:41:20 AM »
As I’m sure most here noticed in the past year, Pepsi rolled out retro cans and bottles with this design, I think late last spring, and it was really cool to see.  It’s amazing what you don’t appreciate until it disappears for a long time.  Now if they went 100% retro by featuring these sturdier cans, and glass bottles with styrofoam wrap (like 8th Burpsi), I’d be hoarding the empties!  :-[

I'd hoard empties of the glass bottles with styrofoam wrap! 

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1586 on: April 19, 2019, 09:03:29 AM »
Love this title, always have, just for the memories alone.  I recall getting the 10th series
when it first came out, getting packs down at the local pharmacy/grocery store
down the Cape where I spent many summers.  I even remember where I was
in my family's house down there when I was opening the packs.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #1587 on: April 19, 2019, 09:17:23 AM »
I like Pupsi but honestly, I think Burpsi was better!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1588 on: April 19, 2019, 05:23:23 PM »
Love this title, always have, just for the memories alone.  I recall getting the 10th series
when it first came out, getting packs down at the local pharmacy/grocery store
down the Cape where I spent many summers.  I even remember where I was
in my family's house down there when I was opening the packs.
There’s nothing like that personal connection to individual series that you remember with some clarity.  Like most, I love all of 1-16, but the sentimental favorites will always top my list because of that connection, even though I only remember a fraction of those particular series.  Beyond that, I missed not only entire series but runs of series!  10 to 12, never saw a single sticker back in the day.  Still can’t figure out how that could have happened.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #1589 on: April 20, 2019, 07:17:59 AM »
I was a late-comer during the Original Series run.  I really didn't become aware of them until about the 5th series.  I had some friends who gave me a few 5th series stickers and then when I went to a store to buy some they were on the 6th series by then.  I keenly remember 6th thru 9th series.  Never saw 10th but I did have 11th and 12th.  Never saw 13th but had a ton of 14th.  And then I never saw 15th or 16th either.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1590 on: April 20, 2019, 09:26:48 AM »
I started at the 2nd series and then went on-and-off up to the 15th. Never saw or even knew about the 16th series until years after the fact and missed the 1st series entirely, except for one of the wall posters.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1591 on: April 20, 2019, 01:10:42 PM »
I was a late-comer during the Original Series run.  I really didn't become aware of them until about the 5th series.  I had some friends who gave me a few 5th series stickers and then when I went to a store to buy some they were on the 6th series by then.  I keenly remember 6th thru 9th series.  Never saw 10th but I did have 11th and 12th.  Never saw 13th but had a ton of 14th.  And then I never saw 15th or 16th either.
I think this is very typical for most of us; it’s just a matter of which series were hit and miss depending on the distribution in your local vicinity.  With demand so high in the first half of the run, I’m sure store owners were happy to have any series on hand.  I could easily see where a retailer orders a bunch of say 5th, not knowing the 6th just hit the street.  Kids in the know go looking elsewhere for the new 6th (slowing down your location’s sales and keeping him in stock of 5th), but you keep buying those 5th packs at your location because it’s the only one that you can access and you’re thinking it’s still the current series.  By the time your guy reorders, he gets a shipment of 7th.  I’m sure that sort of scenario must have happened all the time.  In contrast to BustedFinger’s experience, I had extended exposure to the 13th but never saw the 14th.  Go figure.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1592 on: April 20, 2019, 01:37:33 PM »
My first packs were Series 2, but I later bought a couple of Series 1 packs at the same store - I guess the owner just mixed the red packs into the box on the counter.  I found packs from every series up through 15.  When I bought the reissue packs, I was thrilled to find so many "new" Wackys in the 4th reissue series.  I remember going through all my original checklists and those titles weren't there, so I thought they were completely new.  At least Ice Krunkles was  :P

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1593 on: April 21, 2019, 04:33:00 AM »
Me and my brother had to make the runs to different small grocery stores like White Hen Pantry to find them. We called many stores in advance. That's how we were on top of things. Never saw the 16th series. If we knew in the beginning there was a candy wholesaler an hour away on a bus route, we would have ventured out there to find cases of each series!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1594 on: April 21, 2019, 10:02:17 AM »
Ah, if only.  $2.40 for 48 packs and a display box.  Wonder if we would have thought to keep the box back then.  I know it never occurred to me to save wrappers.  I probably ripped them to shreds to get at the stickers.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1595 on: April 21, 2019, 10:55:24 AM »
Ah, if only.  $2.40 for 48 packs and a display box.  Wonder if we would have thought to keep the box back then.  I know it never occurred to me to save wrappers.  I probably ripped them to shreds to get at the stickers.

I bought a full box of Series 15, and didn't keep any wrappers or the box  :sad:

Offline drono

« Reply #1596 on: April 21, 2019, 02:09:36 PM »
I remember having to get the double-barrel shot of penicillin in my rear end and my mother carrying me to the Tinee Giant to get baseball cards.  They didn't have any, so I bought these weird things called Wacky Packages.  I remember the store charging 6 cents a pack even though the box clearly was marked 5.  I think she bought me a dollar's worth - 16 packs plus 4 cents tax.  They must've been 1st series tans because I remember going back a couple of weeks later with my own dollar and getting 2nd series white backs that I noticed were of thicker stock.  I don't remember a camel, so they weren't ludlows.  Unfortunately my 1st series were washed in my pants pocket, and none of them survived.  I remember series 2 through 14 but nothing after that.  By then, the local 7-11 had them and it seemed like the next series would come out before we could get all of one.  I completed a few of the series as a kid, then many years later when I was in college I found an add for them in a baseball card magazine.  My parents bought me the die cuts (only regular titles), ads (including Good 'n Empty) and the most of the other series I was missing for Christmas that year.  I seem to remember the die cuts, ads, and 1st series going for about $40-50 each, and the others I was missing (including 15th and 16th) selling for about $10-20 each.  I picked up the others in the late 90s on eBay, trading in John Mann's forum, and at a couple of Philly shows.  Good times and fun to remember.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1597 on: April 22, 2019, 04:54:53 AM »
Lots of great memories shared!

Next in line is Mountain Goo compared to Mountain Dew...

« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 04:55:19 AM by Swiski »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1598 on: April 22, 2019, 02:34:16 PM »
Like "Pupsi," the can is somewhat squat and disproportionate (which makes it look kind of weird IMO.)

On another note, check out that crazy, groovy lettering on both the parody can and the real can.  Ah, only in the 70s...

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1599 on: April 22, 2019, 04:04:36 PM »
Like "Pupsi," the can is somewhat squat and disproportionate (which makes it look kind of weird IMO.)

On another note, check out that crazy, groovy lettering on both the parody can and the real can.  Ah, only in the 70s...

Yeah, if the bottom of the can were more rounded to match the top, it would look less squat, I think.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1600 on: April 23, 2019, 01:26:56 AM »
Another fantastic job, like Pupsi.  The overall gag is great, as are the characters and can reproduction.  Not sure about the "boo hooo!" tagline.  Maybe "Hot Stuff!" would work better?

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1601 on: April 23, 2019, 02:06:18 AM »
Another fantastic job, like Pupsi.  The overall gag is great, as are the characters and can reproduction.  Not sure about the "boo hooo!" tagline.  Maybe "Hot Stuff!" would work better?

They used to use the tag line “yahoo Mountain Dew”

https://images.app.goo.gl/na6BFrzYG9wAiM3eA

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1602 on: April 23, 2019, 04:11:56 AM »

Ah, that explains it - thanks!!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1603 on: April 23, 2019, 04:54:35 AM »

Thanks for the info! I updated the comparison image to include the real can with the "Ya-hooo!" on top of the can.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 04:56:48 AM by Swiski »

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #1604 on: April 24, 2019, 03:57:46 PM »

I was lucky enough to start at series 1 and last all the way through series 15.  Never knew there was a 16 back in the day.  I loved Crust the most as a kid when series 1 came out.  And of course Cap'd Crud from series 2 since the real cereal was a favorite.  But I almost got worn out at series 5.  That series was on the shelved for what seemed like a year.  I had about 1,000 series 5 stickers!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1605 on: April 24, 2019, 04:51:47 PM »
I was lucky enough to start at series 1 and last all the way through series 15.  Never knew there was a 16 back in the day.  I loved Crust the most as a kid when series 1 came out.  And of course Cap'd Crud from series 2 since the real cereal was a favorite.  But I almost got worn out at series 5.  That series was on the shelved for what seemed like a year.  I had about 1,000 series 5 stickers!
That’s highly irregular for the OS era.  I don’t remember any series hanging around for longer than maybe 2 months.  For me, the Reissues were the ultimate torture, specifically the first two sets.  They must have stayed in stores for 6 months each.  By this time I was about 12 and had a paper route so both my mobility and my buying power increased tremendously.  While I was thrilled at first to see Wackys again, I knew something was very different about them - there were entire swaths of completely unfamiliar titles, and there were titles I remembered from OS that were missing, leading to more questions than answers.  They ended up driving me a little nuts, because there was nowhere to go for answers to my questions.  So what was my therapy?  Keep buying them!  Needless to say, that strategy didn’t open any new portals of knowledge.   Series 3 and 4 presented a similar mix of familiar and unfamiliar, but they seemed to come and go much quicker.  I fell short of a single complete set of either series.  By contrast, I had multiple complete sets of Series 1 and 2.  Because of this experience, I was probably among the least excited about the Reissue 1 uncut sheet warehouse discovery during the 00’s.  Bought one anyway, because who can say no to a modestly priced full uncut sheet?

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #1606 on: April 24, 2019, 07:02:56 PM »
Agree.

I never had Pupsi as a kid because Series 10 disappeared too fast. That's the series that broke the streak for me, as I had every full series before that (except Choke and Bum).

I like Pupsi but honestly, I think Burpsi was better!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1607 on: April 26, 2019, 11:32:57 AM »
Oscar Moron and Oscar Mayer Bacon. I scoured the internet trying to find a matching real product image. The best I could find is a screen grab from a 70s era TV commercial on YouTube, and a Cooked Ham ad with similar packaging. Anyone have a better image?

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:44:25 PM by Swiski »

Offline Soremel

« Reply #1608 on: April 27, 2019, 09:11:20 AM »

I started toward the end of the 2nd series (one week before the 3rd series hit the shelves!), and collected all the way up to the 15th series. I had the same experience with the 10th series. I kept buying 10th series packs for two reasons, 1) to snag the elusive Pupsi Cola, 2) to give me something to do until the 11th series came out. I ended up finding a Pupsi Cola in the wild (in a pack that had a non-Pupsi checklist!) The 11th series never hit my area. We jumped from 10th to 12th. I ended up finally trading for a complete 11th set well after the 14th series was released. Because I bought so many 10th series boxes & packs, I ended up with 14 NM/MT complete sets. I still have those 14 sets in my collection as a reminder of the great "11th Series Famine of '74"... that was a time of great struggles, but I am stronger today because of those trials.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #1609 on: April 27, 2019, 09:49:26 AM »

I was one of those odd kids who thought "Hey, these might be worth something in the future."! I received relentless ridicule for doing this, but it didn't deter me at all. (Oh, and each of those boxes has all of their original wrappers inside!)

anything