Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640358 times)

Offline Jean Nutty

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1540 on: March 25, 2019, 10:01:21 AM »
I also really like this one, and I'm biased against titles without a wacky character.

If they were to remake it, one line might be, "Fresh breath so you can give 'em your two cents."

Unsure how "A penny for your thoughts" could be used . . . "A penny for your fresh thoughts"?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1541 on: March 25, 2019, 12:12:23 PM »
I also really like this one, and I'm biased against titles without a wacky character.

If they were to remake it, one line might be, "Fresh breath so you can give 'em your two cents."

Unsure how "A penny for your thoughts" could be used . . . "A penny for your fresh thoughts"?

I like this one too but the the phrase "swallow a cent - cough up a dollar" seemed incorrect to me in terms of causality. Shouldn't it be reversed?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #1542 on: March 25, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »
I like this one too but the the phrase "swallow a cent - cough up a dollar" seemed incorrect to me in terms of causality. Shouldn't it be reversed?

Either way that line doesn't seem to fit. I like Jean Nutty's "two cents" line. Or maybe something like "Make Sense with Cents Scents".

It certainly is an improvement over the 2nd series Nertz (even the Wacky Ad version).

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1543 on: March 25, 2019, 04:42:06 PM »
Cents and Certs...

Agree with Pat’s comments.  One of just a handful of titles I remember seeing from the 9th at the time it came out, I thought the choice of pennies was perfect.  I’ve always tended to chew on hard candies, even mints, rather than just suck them all the way down, and Certs were so hard and brittle that biting on pennies is a fair comparison.  Also easy to overlook that this is the second parody of Certs, and IMO Cents blows Nertz out of the water!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1544 on: March 26, 2019, 12:13:18 PM »
Either way that line doesn't seem to fit. I like Jean Nutty's "two cents" line. Or maybe something like "Make Sense with Cents Scents".

It certainly is an improvement over the 2nd series Nertz (even the Wacky Ad version).

The price shown on the CENTS  is $1. So I can see coughing up a dollar (buying it) in order to swallow a cent (a CENTS mint). But the other way seems strange.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #1545 on: March 26, 2019, 12:25:25 PM »
The price shown on the CENTS  is $1. So I can see coughing up a dollar (buying it) in order to swallow a cent (a CENTS mint). But the other way seems strange.

Ah, I never got the original line! I agree with reversing the order as you suggest though.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1546 on: March 26, 2019, 03:36:15 PM »
I see where you're coming from on this. However, maybe the natural physical sequencing was being considered here: I think the writer's thought was that you had to swallow something before you can cough it up.

I think we're way over analyzing this one, LOL.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1547 on: March 27, 2019, 09:18:48 AM »
I see where you're coming from on this. However, maybe the natural physical sequencing was being considered here: I think the writer's thought was that you had to swallow something before you can cough it up.

I think we're way over analyzing this one, LOL.

I thought that was the whole reason this thread exists  :]  Seriously, I find is interesting how each of us see these through different eyes and perspectives. Like a sociology experiment.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1548 on: March 28, 2019, 06:03:53 PM »
Raggedy Ant and Raggedy Ann...

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 06:14:55 PM by Swiski »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1549 on: March 28, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »
Raggedy Ant really creeped me out as a kid, still does.  No better way to make an insect terrifying than to supersize it and make it bright red.

Not a whole lot to analyze gag-wise, I think this one’s all visual, and it really packs a punch.

Offline drono

« Reply #1550 on: March 29, 2019, 06:20:50 AM »
Not a whole lot to analyze gag-wise, I think this one’s all visual, and it really packs a punch.

I guess if you were going to criticize, you'd wonder why if it's a doll for baby insects (assuming they could buy a doll and would want one that size), why would it scare kids of all ages?  Would the baby ants carry it into the homes of kids just to scare them?  Perhaps they'd carry it around when they went on their marches.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 06:24:24 AM by drono »

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1551 on: March 29, 2019, 06:47:38 AM »
Always liked the toys and games parodies this is no exception

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1552 on: March 29, 2019, 12:37:28 PM »
The artists and gag writers must always get a little thrill when you can change when one letter (Ann to Ant) and get a great parody like this one.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1553 on: April 01, 2019, 08:08:12 PM »
Another toy parody! GI Toe and GI Joe...

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #1554 on: April 02, 2019, 12:55:15 PM »
(it's in there)

Mark, please make sure you have your "1 Mosquito" concept in there it is by far my favorite!

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #1555 on: April 02, 2019, 12:59:44 PM »
This one was cool and disturbing to me. A dude with an enormous toe for a head, no face, just a grungy toenail...

quote author=Swiski link=topic=4739.msg99354#msg99354 date=1554174492]
Another toy parody! GI Toe and GI Joe...

[/quote]

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1556 on: April 02, 2019, 02:53:16 PM »
Ah, those tumultuous 70s.  Good thing we had GI Joe (and GI Toe) around to protect us from those damn dirty apes!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1557 on: April 02, 2019, 03:36:09 PM »
Ah, those tumultuous 70s.  Good thing we had GI Joe (and GI Toe) around to protect us from those damn dirty apes!

and those darn dirty grapes!

Offline Soremel

« Reply #1558 on: April 02, 2019, 05:16:18 PM »
This is one of my favorite titles from this series! Every time I look at the toe standing on the gorilla, I start to laugh! One thing I never figured out, was what the "OD", on the dog tag (or toe tag!) stood for... any thoughts?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1559 on: April 03, 2019, 04:55:34 AM »
This is one of my favorite titles from this series! Every time I look at the toe standing on the gorilla, I start to laugh! One thing I never figured out, was what the "OD", on the dog tag (or toe tag!) stood for... any thoughts?

Good question! It would have been funnier if the initials on the dog tag were PU.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1560 on: April 03, 2019, 11:59:19 AM »
Good question! It would have been funnier if the initials on the dog tag were PU.

Where I grew up around the Great Lakes area, people used the term "odie". I am not really sure how it would be spelled as I only heard its use, never saw it in writing since I don't thinks its an actual word.  They used it to be short for odiferous or odoriferious... in short, stinky. So perhaps a possibility "OD" was tapping into that line of thought.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #1561 on: April 03, 2019, 02:40:46 PM »

Maybe OD is a reference to the military abbreviation, On Duty

If it's a play on a dog tag, it could refer to Odie, the dog from the comic strip Garfield, but that's pretty obtuse.

Offline drono

« Reply #1562 on: April 03, 2019, 08:06:06 PM »
If it's a play on a dog tag, it could refer to Odie, the dog from the comic strip Garfield, but that's pretty obtuse.

The Garfield comic strip didn't start until 1978, so that would require looking into the future.

In the military, OD stands for Olive Drab, but it should be something that corresponds to Adventure Team for the AT on the GI Joe dog tag.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1563 on: April 05, 2019, 04:02:33 AM »
Three toys in a row on the checklist! Killy Putty and Silly Putty...

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1564 on: April 05, 2019, 05:36:17 AM »

This is a fantastic Wacky!!  Great gag, and so close to the real name!  The tag line about scrambled eggs is such a good tie in, too.  This is another Wacky name that I still use for the real product.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1565 on: April 05, 2019, 11:24:55 AM »
This is a fantastic Wacky!!  Great gag, and so close to the real name!  The tag line about scrambled eggs is such a good tie in, too.  This is another Wacky name that I still use for the real product.

Another one letter wonder Wacky and another title that would not make it into a general release series today.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1566 on: April 05, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
another favorite of mine... great gag, gets right to the point!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1567 on: April 05, 2019, 04:33:02 PM »

Absolute eye candy for our juvenile selves back in 74, and of course still today.  Painfully cute product packaging to start with; the simple concept was perfect execution.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1568 on: April 07, 2019, 05:57:25 AM »
Finishing the 9th Series - Shake and Skip vs Sheaffer Skrip...

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1569 on: April 07, 2019, 06:38:24 AM »
Completely unfamiliar with this product, however love the blue jar and the lighting on it.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1570 on: April 07, 2019, 06:57:54 AM »

This is one of the few obscure products that I do actually recognize.  Way back then we had a few fountain pens for whatever reason, I guess they were still somewhat common in the early 70s.  Anyway, this was the ink you would dip into to write with.  That curved glass line you can see in the image was a little reservoir at the top of the jar.  You could tilt the jar enough for ink to fill that little bowl and then you could dip into that instead of reaching down into the lower portion of the jar as the ink level gradually lowered.  Just a way to keep your hand clean I guess.  Still a mess to deal with though.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #1571 on: April 07, 2019, 07:01:53 AM »

O-Diferous

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1572 on: April 07, 2019, 09:36:27 AM »
fantastic painting, with Norm's signature warm lighting to one side. and perhaps a window is the reflection on the left?

the jokes are not quite in sync, as we've seen on a number of others (like Cram). If it's great for writing checks that bounce, then simply "made from melted rubber" would make more more sense.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1573 on: April 07, 2019, 03:26:11 PM »

On the parody, what is the purpose of the white strip draped over the jar on the left side, coming out of the top?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1574 on: April 07, 2019, 05:56:26 PM »
It’s an additional little glass inkwell located at the top of the jar - see my earlier post. In the parody you’re seeing it from the side, basically in cross-section, where the wall of the inkwell meets the inside wall of the overall bottle.   Not sure if I explained it in a way that’s easy to visualize, but it’s a lot easier to recognize if you’ve seen the real product.