Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640468 times)

Offline Soremel

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1470 on: January 20, 2019, 04:28:47 PM »
I always enjoyed the subtle logo element gags... the two hearts, replaced with the weights always made me chuckle!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1471 on: January 20, 2019, 10:44:17 PM »
Paper Wate and Paper Mate...

Considering the boring package they had to work with, I think this was a pretty good Wacky.  OK gag and taglines, and they worked in a character. 

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Gag Criticism and Variation
« Reply #1472 on: January 22, 2019, 03:08:43 PM »

How about a change up on the tag line to be... "More morticians recommend Lavirus
than any other mouthwash" 

Here’s a good photo of Lavoris....

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 03:11:05 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1473 on: January 24, 2019, 08:31:08 PM »
Here's a fun one! Belch's and Welch's Grape Jelly. If I'm not mistaken, the glass in the parody is based on the Archie glass. It's the only glass I found a photo reference of that has artwork in yellow and red. The character on the parody glass, while not exact, loosely resembles Archie too.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:10:42 PM by Swiski »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1474 on: January 24, 2019, 11:25:44 PM »
Here's a fun one! Belch's and Welch's Grape Jelly. If I'm not mistaken, the glass in the parody is based on the Archie glass. It's the only real glass I found a photo reference of that has artwork in yellow and orange. The character on the parody glass, while not exact, loosely resembles Archie too.

This is a great Wacky, can't think of a thing to change.  Perfect gag, great artwork and main character, funny taglines that go with the gag, and they nailed the packaging.  Thanks for posting the Archie glass - I think you're right about the characters in the background.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1475 on: January 25, 2019, 03:55:45 AM »
The cork is a nice crowning touch!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #1476 on: January 25, 2019, 09:21:16 AM »

Technically, the gag should read "1/5 Gallon" instead of "1/5 Quart", but I agree - One of the great Original Series Wackys!!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1477 on: January 28, 2019, 11:35:19 AM »
Moscow and Bosco. Is the joke on the lid supposed to be read as "It's Lunch Time in Russia. So Be It"?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1478 on: January 28, 2019, 12:21:02 PM »
Moscow and Bosco. Is the joke on the lid supposed to be read as "It's Lunch Time in Russia. So Be It"?

Yes "Soviet" in place of "So Be It"  as in the Soviet Union aka USSR.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1479 on: January 30, 2019, 08:21:13 PM »
Taxim and Maxim...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1480 on: January 31, 2019, 04:50:40 PM »
Nice basic Wacky, change one letter and the gag becomes a slam dunk.  Sometimes simple just works.  Add a star for the coffee product.  I’ve always liked the coffee Wackys, and I’m glad Topps spoofed a variety of them.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1481 on: January 31, 2019, 07:01:23 PM »
Nice basic Wacky, change one letter and the gag becomes a slam dunk.  Sometimes simple just works.  Add a star for the coffee product.  I’ve always liked the coffee Wackys, and I’m glad Topps spoofed a variety of them.

Not a bad gag, but a character getting stuck with a tack might have helped.  Good job on the packaging.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1482 on: February 01, 2019, 02:11:20 PM »
I especially like the tacks mixed in with the coffee.  Then and again, I've always liked things - garbage, nuts and bolts, alligators, mountain men, etc. - inside of the bottles, cans, and jars.  This is one of the traits that help make Wackys wacky.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1483 on: February 04, 2019, 12:32:15 PM »
If you like the coffee Wackys that much, I've added some changes to pretty much a lot of them on the Master Spreadsheet. Hopefully, they'll be in soon.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1484 on: February 04, 2019, 07:34:41 PM »
Goon's Farm and Boone's Farm...

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #1485 on: February 05, 2019, 11:57:54 AM »
Curious about the scene under the logo, so magnified it a bit.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1486 on: February 05, 2019, 03:33:53 PM »
Curious about the scene under the logo, so magnified it a bit.
don't think I've really ever looked closely at that before. thanks!
with the X for the eyes, I guess the guy on the ground might be dead and not just drunk?

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1487 on: February 05, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »
The original wine cooler before there were wine coolers.  Once upon a time I could drink this stuff by the case.

I magnified the magnified version and still can't tell exactly what's going on in this scene.  The building kind of resembles a shack on wheels.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1488 on: February 05, 2019, 05:47:42 PM »
It looks like the wheel-like round shapes might be moonshiners’ barrels, or pails?  A lot going on with this Wacky.  This is one of several OS products I am completely unfamiliar with.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1489 on: February 06, 2019, 04:11:58 AM »
Goon's Farm and Boone's Farm...

I've always liked this one.  Funny gag, and great drunk character.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1490 on: February 06, 2019, 04:52:34 AM »
This was one that I had never heard of or knew the original, thanks for continually doing this series!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1491 on: February 08, 2019, 04:54:28 AM »
DeLinquent and DelMonte Spinach. Couldn't find the matching real spinach label, but I have another label from the same time period and a different spinach label.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1492 on: February 10, 2019, 05:16:10 AM »
DeLinquent and DelMonte Spinach. Couldn't find the matching real spinach label, but I have another label from the same time period and a different spinach label.

OK, not an exciting one here. The label is a simple design. The delinquent illustration is very good. He looks a little like Sean Penn to me. Many people think greaser gangs were only around in the 1950s and 1960s. I remember seeing one near my high school in the late 1970s. Maybe this new movement of greasers was reinvigorated by the popularity of Fonzie and the T-Birds in Grease?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1493 on: February 10, 2019, 06:39:19 AM »

Another well rendered can, and the character is pretty good.  I remember having to look delinquent up in the dictionary, and then I got the gag.   

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1494 on: February 16, 2019, 05:45:25 PM »
Easy-Cough and Easy-Off...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1495 on: February 19, 2019, 02:28:33 AM »
Nice execution, adds the little Saunders character without crowding the overall look.  I think the 9th has a number of under appreciated titles like this one, making it an underrated series overall.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1496 on: February 20, 2019, 02:25:53 PM »
Easy-Cough and Easy-Off...

A very good Wacky - the main gag rhymes with the product name, they did a great job on the can, added a funny character, and the tag line works well.  And, the real product DID make me cough!!  Wouldn't change a thing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:27:43 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1497 on: February 22, 2019, 10:41:48 AM »
Ivy and Ivory Soap...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1498 on: February 22, 2019, 02:03:44 PM »
Ivy and Ivory Soap...

The main gag could have been great, but the tagline of "fight poison" Ivy makes it seem like the soap is to help with poison ivy.  And I don't see how bloating fits in.  I think this should have been done to indicate that it would GIVE someone poison ivy, and then they'd itch.  My brain is mush after a very long day at work, but maybe I can come up with what's nagging in the back of my head.  I know there's something there..........

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1499 on: February 22, 2019, 03:20:02 PM »
The main gag could have been great, but the tagline of "fight poison" Ivy makes it seem like the soap is to help with poison ivy.  And I don't see how bloating fits in.  I think this should have been done to indicate that it would GIVE someone poison ivy, and then they'd itch.  My brain is mush after a very long day at work, but maybe I can come up with what's nagging in the back of my head.  I know there's something there..........

The only explanation I can think of is that some people with severe reactions to poison ivy, do get kind of bloated and swollen because of the histamines the body is producing. Or, bloat is just a funny word. Go ahead and say it 20 times fast. Hilarious.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1500 on: February 22, 2019, 04:23:03 PM »
The only explanation I can think of is that some people with severe reactions to poison ivy, do get kind of bloated and swollen because of the histamines the body is producing. Or, bloat is just a funny word.
or, they just changed "floats" to "bloats". I guess that was humorous to someone who mattered.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1501 on: February 23, 2019, 09:33:20 AM »
I think I see your point - the gag lines are conflicting, between the soap fighting poison ivy vs. causing it, or at least the symptoms (bloating) of it.

I’ve always noticed that this Wacky and a few others have what I would describe as an illumination effect.  The orange tinge of the left-side end and the animation-like appearance of the character give the effect of the product appearing to be illuminated by yellowish lighting.  No idea whether intended or not, but it adds a little intrigue for me.

I like most of the soap Wackys in general.  The paper packaging and sale of individual bars is in itself a relic of the 70’s.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1502 on: February 23, 2019, 11:02:23 AM »
I think I see your point - the gag lines are conflicting, between the soap fighting poison ivy vs. causing it, or at least the symptoms (bloating) of it.

I’ve always noticed that this Wacky and a few others have what I would describe as an illumination effect.  The orange tinge of the left-side end and the animation-like appearance of the character give the effect of the product appearing to be illuminated by yellowish lighting.  No idea whether intended or not, but it adds a little intrigue for me.

I like most of the soap Wackys in general.  The paper packaging and sale of individual bars is in itself a relic of the 70’s.

That's what I was trying to say - if it fights poison ivy, why is bloating involved?  Maybe it should have been "Causes" poison ivy.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #1503 on: February 23, 2019, 01:33:58 PM »
- if it fights poison ivy, why is bloating involved?

I'm with Tom on this. They just changed 'floats' to 'bloats' since one of the big claims to fame of Ivory soap was "It Floats". Would be way funnier if the 'bloating' had something to do with the Ivy gag, but, as it is, it's a swing and a miss. Should have just stayed with the poison ivy theme, which would've been prefect if it GAVE you poison ivy (as you rightly mentioned).

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 08:53:35 PM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1504 on: February 24, 2019, 01:42:29 PM »
Jerkyfruits and Jujyfruits...

anything