Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640533 times)

Offline Swiski

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1435 on: December 19, 2018, 08:25:46 PM »
Kick A Man Boy Sauce and Kikkoman Soy Sauce...

The actual packaging I had to dig deep online to locate. I wasn't familiar with the script lettering used for Kikkoman on the original label. I always remember Helvetica all caps like the image posted below. All around funny, clever gag. Nice illustration, understandably foreshortened to fill card space.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1436 on: December 26, 2018, 04:22:38 AM »
Hope everyone had a great holiday! Next up is Messy Marker compared to Magic Marker...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1437 on: December 26, 2018, 05:37:45 AM »
The peculiar thing about this one is that we grew up using the term ‘magic marker’ for all markers / felt tip pens of any kind, regardless of brand.  We essentially thought it was a generic, dictionary term, like pen, pencil or crayon.  Never saw this one back in the day, so I basically never learned that a ‘magic marker’ brand existed until my 30’s.  Crazy.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1438 on: December 26, 2018, 07:00:35 AM »
The peculiar thing about this one is that we grew up using the term ‘magic marker’ for all markers / felt tip pens of any kind, regardless of brand.  We essentially thought it was a generic, dictionary term...
Like "make a Xerox".

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1439 on: December 26, 2018, 10:57:46 AM »
probably one of my least favorite original Wackys.  Too much pink, the Dracula/vampire connection in my mind is a stretch, just doesn't "click."

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #1440 on: December 28, 2018, 07:56:24 AM »
Like "make a Xerox".

vasolene.  or Kleenaxe   :-[
Still looking for Series 17

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #1441 on: December 30, 2018, 05:54:17 PM »
Everything can be fixed with a little Botch tape.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1442 on: December 31, 2018, 05:07:56 AM »
Foolite and Woolite...

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 05:10:47 AM by Swiski »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1443 on: December 31, 2018, 05:20:24 AM »
Foolite and Woolite...

This is a great Wacky!  The gag and taglines are funny, and the fool is just so goofy.  Also like the beanie on the logo.  The packaging is perfect, and the top of the can is just fantastic.  Don't think I'd change a thing on this one.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1444 on: December 31, 2018, 06:28:36 AM »
agree. an easily overlooked or forgotten Wacky, but dead on, with all the elements in synch.

also, here's an image of the can with the matching typeface to the Wacky

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1445 on: December 31, 2018, 07:12:13 AM »
agree. an easily overlooked or forgotten Wacky, but dead on, with all the elements in synch.

also, here's an image of the can with the matching typeface to the Wacky

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks! I thought the artist used rub-down lettering that was a close match at the time.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1446 on: January 04, 2019, 05:13:57 PM »
Squabble and Scrabble...

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #1447 on: January 04, 2019, 07:41:41 PM »
Squabble and Scrabble...

I never noticed until now that they didn't include the trays with the tiles on them for the Wacky.  they missed a great opportunity to put in some interesting words there.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1448 on: January 08, 2019, 12:33:55 PM »
I never noticed until now that they didn't include the trays with the tiles on them for the Wacky.  they missed a great opportunity to put in some interesting words there.

I agree! Tiles placed on the board spelling basic words like HATE, ANGER, etc.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #1449 on: January 08, 2019, 04:12:41 PM »
Thanks! I thought the artist used rub-down lettering that was a close match at the time.

They sometimes used letraset on some of the fine print, but usually the logos were hand painted, which is just as impressive as some of the character art, imo.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1450 on: January 08, 2019, 06:44:58 PM »
Ducko Cement and Duco Cement...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1451 on: January 09, 2019, 03:28:03 AM »

I guess they wanted more room for the characters?  But I agree, some words would have made this great Wacky even better.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1452 on: January 09, 2019, 08:28:12 AM »

I think I appreciated this one more than the typical Wacky kid because we always seemed to have a tube of that glue around the house.  My brothers and I went through a period as model-building enthusiasts, ‘Rebell’ race cars, military tanks and whatnot, maybe we needed it for that.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1453 on: January 11, 2019, 09:22:15 PM »
Stickers and Snickers...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1454 on: January 12, 2019, 06:28:40 AM »

This one always made me smile - think it is the fantastic goofy duck.  The title is a good gag on the product name, but I never did quite get cementing a duck.......

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1455 on: January 12, 2019, 06:37:56 AM »
Stickers and Snickers...

I like the gag a lot, and they did a good job on the cactus and the package, especially where it bends in a little along the long side.  The taglines work well, like desert and ouches.  Too bad there's no character.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1456 on: January 12, 2019, 07:13:48 AM »
I agree, well done parody.  There could have been a guy in pain (grimacing, with tears flying from his eyes, etc.) biting into a candy bar or perhaps some desert animal around the cactus (an elf owl, rattlesnake, etc.,) however I believe the cactus itself is the character in this one.  It may not be the most hilarious character, but it does get its point across.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1457 on: January 12, 2019, 10:07:47 AM »
Stickers and Snickers...

At first the title confused me - as kids we used to refer to thorny shrubs as “sticker bushes” but I never heard the term applied to cacti.  Once I realized the “stick” in “sticker” really applies to anything that can pierce the skin, it made sense.  Duh.

I guess the gag is ok, agree the cactus becomes the character when there’s limited space with the product shape (though I guess you can argue that if Big Baddy can have a character then anything can).  What appeals to me most is the throwback wrapper design itself.  Hearkens back to the era and to childhood Halloween trick or treating.  Now there’s a whole family of Snickers products, and I just saw another new one last week - with peanut butter.  Didn’t they already do that?  Then there’s the bars with random words on the wrapper instead of the product name, like the Coke cans.  Brilliant.  Inundate us with advertising everywhere except where it makes the most sense.  But ah, I digress.... :-X

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1458 on: January 12, 2019, 12:19:58 PM »
... but it does get its point across.
This proves you're a stickler for puns.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1459 on: January 12, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »
This proves you're a stickler for puns.

Stick it to him!

Online Slaytex99

« Reply #1460 on: January 12, 2019, 08:39:12 PM »
I like the gag a lot, and they did a good job on the cactus and the package, especially where it bends in a little along the long side.  The taglines work well, like desert and ouches.  Too bad there's no character.

Not a fan of the color tbh.  I think it tends towards the red spectrum.  Wish it had a better grab, maybe a character getting poked with a cactus or something.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1461 on: January 15, 2019, 03:36:53 PM »
Hookey and Hockey...

Offline cardnut

« Reply #1462 on: January 15, 2019, 04:21:37 PM »
I like this wacky great subject matter and colours, as you can tell from my picture. And as a good Canadian I have actually played Hookey to Play Hockey! :] :great:

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1463 on: January 15, 2019, 05:56:03 PM »
Hookey and Hockey...

I can only remember a few 9th titles from when it was in circulation, but this is one of them for sure.  That truant officer’s rosy face sticks out in my memory for some reason.

A very simple basic Wacky, but then so is the product wrapper.  My card collecting includes  old wax sports wrappers, and this one has eluded me thus far.  Maybe it’s the Wacky collectors snagging them for “real product” collections lol.  3rd Series baseball and football wrappers are tough to find at decent prices too.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1464 on: January 15, 2019, 06:52:59 PM »
Hookey and Hockey...

I think this is a great gag, with funny taglines and two fantastic characters.  The package is really well done, too.  I wouldn't change a thing. 

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #1465 on: January 16, 2019, 06:00:31 PM »
Hookey and Hockey...

Is there possibly a Hockey wrapper that has the Topps logo in the upper left corner like the "Truant" logo is on the Wacky?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1466 on: January 16, 2019, 07:21:55 PM »
Hard to find a lot of images, but the ones I did find consistently show the Topps logo in the lower position.  Just guessing, but since every Topps product parody spoofs the Topps name itself, I’m thinking they placed it at the top just so the full product name reads as intended, like a book title.  The Topps logo catches your eye first, so it reads “Truant Hookey”, rather than just “Hookey”, with the “Truant” a virtual afterthought sitting there near the bottom.

Offline cardnut

« Reply #1467 on: January 16, 2019, 08:02:55 PM »
The Topps Logo seems to be in different spots at various times. Here are 4 examples of the Topps Logo in the upper left corner.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1468 on: January 17, 2019, 06:00:11 AM »
I guess they used artistic license to put the logo at the top left on the pinkyellow wrapper.  It does help with the gag.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1469 on: January 20, 2019, 07:36:33 AM »
Paper Wate and Paper Mate...

anything